Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 11:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Goa conquered!! After 587.73km and 29hrs of bi-cycling

Kudos! That was simply great. I am seriously surprised to see that you took only less than 10min of break. Man you got real stamina.

15Hrs for 300KMs? That's beating the "official" brevet rides for 300Kms

Again, congrats!
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hats off Akshay,

Riding 305 Kms on bicycle on day 1 is no ordinary achievement. I am going on long drive in my car & my friends are suggesting me not to drive more than 400 Kms in a day (in car ).

I sincerely appreciate your bicycling capabilities & wish you even better rides in future. Also please take some time out & share your other rides on bicycle.

Thanks,
Thanks a lot. Tell them many cyclists from Bangalore have done 400+ on a cycle in less then 24hrs

PS: in case someone has a doubt, 29hrs is the time spent on bike and not actual start to end time.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:05   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

This is a truly inspiring read. Kudos to you. I was reading about some person's 10 day trip along the Maharashtra coast where he not only biked (bi-cycled), but also did a lot of sight seeing, on his journey from Mumbai till Panjim.
Also you brought back memories of my college days where I used to cycle extensively. Over the ages, sloppy lifestyle made me stop cycling. When I was in Pune, I decided to cycle to office and was doing 12 kms a day for almost a year, till I broke my leg. Your log is a good inspiration for me to go and clean my cycle to start with!
Great stuff! Finally a thread title that stands true to it's words. You've not only conquered goa, but also the 500 odd kms of tarmac!
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:16   #19
BHPian

Amazing stuff and kudos to your determination.

please share experiences with heavy vehicles on the road and if at any time you felt you could face problems...

How about ghat driving? Since there is no engine braking, how does one do it?
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!!!!

That was the feeling i got once i read your report. That too solo. Amazing stuff Akshay and hats off to you for your stamina in covering 300+ KMs in one day.

Only cycling we did was during our training days in Madras where we did 60 KMs dash on rickety hercules cycle - it was a sort of competition - after which like they say our "Asses were torn apart".

Keep it coming, my friend....
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hats off !!
Is there anything like endurance riding certificate for bicycle ride. Like the IBA for Bikes. If there is you should register one.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:31   #22
BHPian

Awesome Buddy. That was a wonderful travel log. Thanks for sharing.

Traveling 29hrs on the bike with such short breaks requires a lot of stamina and courage.

I would treat this as quite an achievement. Congrats again.

SD
SwiftSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@Akshay, awesome ! These are once-in-a-lifetime experiences, memories that you will retain for a long long time. Even if you do it again, the first long one will be special.

If you have more pics, pls do post them.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:36   #24
BHPian

AWESOME!!!!!

Hats off to you. You have initiated something which many of us should take a clue from.

Keep it coming
padikpanther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
please share experiences with heavy vehicles on the road and if at any time you felt you could face problems...

How about ghat driving? Since there is no engine braking, how does one do it?
Generally, I consider heavy vehicles(specially highway truckies) as our friends. In fact many of them cheer cyclists. Nuisance are the cars/two wheelers who come from wrong direction or try to run you off road. This happens regularly and we just take care. And it should be ghat riding right? Nothing special, use brakes properly, feathering et all and not overcook them. Or else brake pads tend to cut into the rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Wow!!!!!

That was the feeling i got once i read your report. That too solo. Amazing stuff Akshay and hats off to you for your stamina in covering 300+ KMs in one day.

Only cycling we did was during our training days in Madras where we did 60 KMs dash on rickety hercules cycle - it was a sort of competition - after which like they say our "Asses were torn apart".

Keep it coming, my friend....
Thanks. I have couple of friends from army who are regular cyclists and also heard of army cyclists racing on steel roadsters in Lanka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Hats off !!
Is there anything like endurance riding certificate for bicycle ride. Like the IBA for Bikes. If there is you should register one.
Yeah there is something called PBP(Paris-Brest-Paris) and RAAM.

Honestly riding that distance is not big deal. Many of my friends have completed 1200kms (PBP) Important thing is to ride it properly and see that you dont do long term damages to the body machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Akshay, awesome ! These are once-in-a-lifetime experiences, memories that you will retain for a long long time. Even if you do it again, the first long one will be special.

If you have more pics, pls do post them.
Very true. Whenever I travel on that route by bus/car it all comes back because I have literally seen every bit of that place which you can't when using motorized vehicle. You can find few photos here https://picasaweb.google.com/akshayp...eat=directlink.

Last edited by akshay380 : 20th January 2012 at 12:49.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

awesome bro and i thought me doing delhi-pushkar on my thunderbird was a big feat. kudos to you and all the best for your october attempt.
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 20:04   #27
BHPian

Congratulations man on completing an unbelievable journey! Keeping self-doubt, exhaustion all at bay : this is a great achievement.

On a side note, I want to ask you this : do you trust the other guys on the road so much - numbskulls, madhatters and half-drivers with new cars or with no road sense, children with sprouting moustaches riding bikes, drunkards et al that you could embark on this without worrying about yourself?

Well done though - you're an inspiration!
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 21:01   #28
BHPian

Akshay, what else can I say. I am totally dumbfound reading your achievment. It is a remarkable feat achieved by you.

Hats of to your feat. I am really falling short of words to praise you.

Good going and I wish you many more succesful rides
octane78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 22:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
On a side note, I want to ask you this : do you trust the other guys on the road so much - numbskulls, madhatters and half-drivers with new cars or with no road sense, children with sprouting moustaches riding bikes, drunkards et al that you could embark on this without worrying about yourself?
There is really nothing more you can do other than to trust these guys. Near Arsikere a villager on a TVS wanted to talk to me. I refused to stop and asked him to continue riding side by side if he wanted. He did'nt. Reason? He had a chopper tied to the waist belt.
Many times villagers are simply curious about this machinery. You respect them, ask couple of questions and they become quite friendly. Though exceptions very much exist.
Old 20th January 2012, 23:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Akshay - My salute to you. This is simply unbelievable. All the best for your future target.

I must admit one thing here. I remember reading the title of the thread when it first came up and it mentioned riding to Goa. So kind of kept it for later read assuming it is a bike riding TL.

Today i once again saw it with the title edited to read bi-cycling. Had to read it immediately.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks