Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th February 2012, 09:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Be

A sunrise and sunset all in one day and at two lovely locations...this is heaven.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 10:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Be

How typically Fauji-ish to use a wedding as an excuse to go for an extra long drive

Fantabulous pictures as always, rated a well deserved 5 stars (wish I could rate it even higher). Funny to see Mullayanagiri peak all bald and brown due to the lack of rains in this season. I guess the road must have been empty when you did this drive on a morning. Panoramic visibility from Mullayanagiri also looks fantastic in your pictures. Keep up the good work sir!

The pictures of the Taj villas are really droolworthy. I hadn't even heard of this property before. Definitely warrants a visit after going through this thread. The sunset pictures deserve to be framed. They are calendar material
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 20:01   #18
BHPian

I went "what?" after reading "Mullayyanagiri and Bekal" - and then I realized it's Fauji after all and nothing is unusual with it

Love the Taj hotels - I've never seen snooty managers or unprofessional staff ever.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 19:58   #19
BHPian

First (or second ) Devarayanadurga and now Mullayanagiri, looks like the Sun has become your calling of late A nice drivologue Fauji Sir and I think you just solved my problem of "where next? a calm and serene place"? Taj Bekal looks very inviting. Your quickie drives also makes me feel guilty since I keep complaining that there is nothing nearby for weekend
rohi_rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 12:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Its been too long since I visited Mullayanagiri. Thanks Fauji sir for refreshing my memory. Its great you got to see clear views from the top. Whenever I go there, it is usually foggy and covered with clouds. (maybe it is because I usually go during monsoon or post monsoon). The best time to go there is post monsoon and at that time you won't be able to see the great views from the top. Ironic, isn't it?? I'm sure this is the case in the whole of the western ghats

Btw, I took your advice and went to Devarayanadurga last sunday. Couldn't see the sunrise though, it was too hazy.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 15:04   #21
BHPian

I sometimes hate the sunday morning drive up Mullayyanagiri - it's very heavy traffic for that road ( Seethalayyanagiri - Mullayyanigiri ) : the road itself is very narrow ( nothing to worry about that ) - the concern is that even tourist mini buses go all the way up and end up blocking traffic for long. Likewise when big Innovas etc pass similar big vehicles. Not to mention that the edge of the road is suspect ( even if it is tarred ) - and atleast in 3 places more than 2 feet at the edge had caved in. Add to that many folks having no experience driving up a slope - it's generally chaos on sundays.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 16:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I sometimes hate the sunday morning drive up Mullayyanagiri - it's very heavy traffic for that road ( Seethalayyanagiri - Mullayyanigiri ) : the road itself is very narrow ( nothing to worry about that ) - the concern is that even tourist mini buses go all the way up and end up blocking traffic for long. Likewise when big Innovas etc pass similar big vehicles. Not to mention that the edge of the road is suspect ( even if it is tarred ) - and atleast in 3 places more than 2 feet at the edge had caved in. Add to that many folks having no experience driving up a slope - it's generally chaos on sundays.
+1. Some new drivers are scared to drive & occupy most of the road & doesn't bother to get to a side when giving way for the on coming traffic.
Most of the times, it's a tight squeze for me because of this .
My advice to ppl who travel to Mullaingiri on weekends & fond of a walk or trekking, better park your vehicle at Seethalayyangiri take a 1km trek to Mullaingiri. There is ample amount of parking in S Giri.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 16:01   #23
BHPian

Fauji Sir, I know where my next Kerala visit will be Great photos. Kudos to your wife. Which route would you suggest from Bangalore to Bekal?
DeepChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 16:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
A sunrise and sunset all in one day and at two lovely locations...this is heaven.
Thank you Sudevji. We were lucky that the morning was not misty in the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
How typically Fauji-ish to use a wedding as an excuse to go for an extra long drive

Fantabulous pictures as always, rated a well deserved 5 stars (wish I could rate it even higher). Funny to see Mullayanagiri peak all bald and brown due to the lack of rains in this season. I guess the road must have been empty when you did this drive on a morning. Panoramic visibility from Mullayanagiri also looks fantastic in your pictures. Keep up the good work sir!

The pictures of the Taj villas are really droolworthy. I hadn't even heard of this property before. Definitely warrants a visit after going through this thread. The sunset pictures deserve to be framed. They are calendar material
Thanks Karthik. What better excuse can one get. The hills were all bald and brown. I am looking forward to go there immediately after monsoons which should be heavenly. There were only three vehicles when we went there and the road was absolutely empty. We were also lucky that it was not misty as we feared.

Taj Bekal is definitely a property to look far. Go there when they are in nascent stage and willing to give some good discounts. Once they become popular it will be difficult to catch them!!

Quote:
I went "what?" after reading "Mullayyanagiri and Bekal" - and then I realized it's Fauji after all and nothing is unusual with it

Love the Taj hotels - I've never seen snooty managers or unprofessional staff ever.
Thanks Arun. Taj service in Bekal was extra cordial and nice. May be first season and they wanted to impress!! I agree, generally Taj is good. But i have also heard horror stories from BHPians in these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohi_rao View Post
First (or second ) Devarayanadurga and now Mullayanagiri, looks like the Sun has become your calling of late A nice drivologue Fauji Sir and I think you just solved my problem of "where next? a calm and serene place"? Taj Bekal looks very inviting. Your quickie drives also makes me feel guilty since I keep complaining that there is nothing nearby for weekend
Thanks Rohit. The Taj property will only become better with the spa coming up. The USP is the location.

You sould plan a trip during the weekend.....there are so many places to see around Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Its been too long since I visited Mullayanagiri. Thanks Fauji sir for refreshing my memory. Its great you got to see clear views from the top. Whenever I go there, it is usually foggy and covered with clouds. (maybe it is because I usually go during monsoon or post monsoon). The best time to go there is post monsoon and at that time you won't be able to see the great views from the top. Ironic, isn't it?? I'm sure this is the case in the whole of the western ghats

Btw, I took your advice and went to Devarayanadurga last sunday. Couldn't see the sunrise though, it was too hazy.
Thanks Addy. we were lucky that it was not foggy in Mullayyanagiri. we climbed the hill keeping our fingers crossed. I am now dying to go post monsoon to see the green expanse. That should be marvellous.

Sad, you could not see sunrise in Devarayanadurga. Even we were plain lucky when the fog cleared as we were getting readay to go back.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
+1. Some new drivers are scared to drive & occupy most of the road & doesn't bother to get to a side when giving way for the on coming traffic.
Most of the times, it's a tight squeze for me because of this .
My advice to ppl who travel to Mullaingiri on weekends & fond of a walk or trekking, better park your vehicle at Seethalayyangiri take a 1km trek to Mullaingiri. There is ample amount of parking in S Giri.
I agrre with you guys totally. It is a narrow road and unless you are confident should not attempt and put others also at risk. As Sushrutha rightly says, it will be good to park in Sitalallayana Giri and walk across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepChat View Post
Fauji Sir, I know where my next Kerala visit will be Great photos. Kudos to your wife. Which route would you suggest from Bangalore to Bekal?
Thanks Deepchat. The shortest and easiet route is via Hassan - Shiradi - Mangalore. Make Bekal as a base to explore Malabar especially backwatrs in Cannanore etc.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:38   #25
BHPian

Fauji, This is a good read and those are sexcellent pics. Would have loved to see the pics of your ride along the way. Here is a question

How is the road condition from hunsur to bekal ? Is there any better route than this from bangalore to get there ? Please update me on this as i'm planning this trip in march.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Fauji, This is a good read and those are sexcellent pics. Would have loved to see the pics of your ride along the way. Here is a question

How is the road condition from hunsur to bekal ? Is there any better route than this from bangalore to get there ? Please update me on this as i'm planning this trip in march.
Blackbeast,

If you want a comfortable route to Bekal, go via Mangalore. That is the standard Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Mangalore - Kasaragod - Bekal.

Else, you can try coming via Virajpet as i did while coming back. Gonikoppal - Hunsur road is not great, specially if you are driving at night. If you dont mind, then you can go to Madikeri from Virajpet and take the beautiful Madikeri - Mysore road. An additional 40 KMs but a peaceful drive.
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Blackbeast,

If you want a comfortable route to Bekal, go via Mangalore. That is the standard Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Mangalore - Kasaragod - Bekal.

Else, you can try coming via Virajpet as i did while coming back. Gonikoppal - Hunsur road is not great, specially if you are driving at night. If you dont mind, then you can go to Madikeri from Virajpet and take the beautiful Madikeri - Mysore road. An additional 40 KMs but a peaceful drive.
I would prefer going via coorg. Isn't it too long to take mangalore route ? i am sure distance will add up to 150 kms and the oil tankers in the sakleshpur will slow me down. i'm purely going by the map. i'm confident about doing blore-kushalnagar in about 2.5 hrs if planned well.Please advice me the route from there on with more details as i have never driven beyond madikeri. i'm looking forward to this same resort which you've been to.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:24   #28

Quote:
I would prefer going via coorg. Isn't it too long to take mangalore route ? i am sure distance will add up to 150 kms and the oil tankers in the sakleshpur will slow me down. i'm purely going by the map. i'm confident about doing blore-kushalnagar in about 2.5 hrs if planned well.Please advice me the route from there on with more details as i have never driven beyond madikeri. i'm looking forward to this same resort which you've been to.
Blackbeast,

The route that Fauji recommended ( Bangalore - Mangalore - Kasaragod ) is the fastest and has the best conditions to reach to reach this resort.

This route via Madikeri is actually shorter than the one via Mangalore. The road condition is much better than the return route that Fauji took via Gonikoppal. Here are the directions:

Bangalore - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Karikke- Panathur - Mavungal - Kanhangad - Bekal - Palakunnu.

- Good roads all the way from Bangalore - Madikeri - Bhagamandala
- Bhagamandal - Panathur is not so great. Narrow and winding roads through dense forest.
- When you reach Mavungal, you need to take a right (you will be on NH 17) and then take the immediate left to Kanhangad
- When you reach Kanhangad town (you will see a round about) take right to head to Palakunnu
- When you reach Palakunnu ask for Kappil Beach. The resort is located at Kappil Beach.
- If you leave Bangalore before rush hour you can cover the entire distance in 9 - 9.5 hours with two breaks.
- You can also go there via Suliya. I wouldn't recommend that because Madikeri - Suliya is in bad shape.

If you need finer details, please ask.
Thunderbird is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. Then this is the best route.

Bangalore - Madikeri - Virajpet - Kuttupuzah - Iritty - Kallaid - Sreekandapuram - Kunnoth - Taliparamba - Kanhangad - Bekal

Here is the google link

Madikeri, Karnataka to Bekal, Kerala - Google Maps
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:23   #30
BHPian

@ Fauji: Captivating travelogue. Really liked your narration which is simple yet very detailed and informative. Nice pics and well documented.
Raghunath Singh is offline   Reply With Quote