Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd February 2012, 13:54   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Blackbeast,

Bangalore - Mangalore - Kasaragod ) is the fastest

Bangalore - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Karikke- Panathur - Mavungal - Kanhangad - Bekal - Palakunnu.

If you leave Bangalore before rush hour you can cover the entire distance in 9 - 9.5 hours with two breaks.
9.5 hours ? When i first searched bangalore to bekal on google maps it said 7 hours and then i thought i can do it in little over 5

How much time would it take if i go mangalore route, considering i get out of bangalore early and am on 130+ wherever possible, ghat slowdown at sakleshpur, traffic when bypassing mangalore and the traffic towards kasargod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Agreed. Then this is the best route.

Bangalore - Madikeri - Virajpet - Kuttupuzah - Iritty - Kallaid - Sreekandapuram - Kunnoth - Taliparamba - Kanhangad - Bekal
well, what would you recommend ? Mangalore or coorg ? i need to get there as quickly as i can. i wont mind few extra k's since i travel with one year old baby.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
9.5 hours ? When i first searched bangalore to bekal on google maps it said 7 hours and then i thought i can do it in little over 5

How much time would it take if i go mangalore route, considering i get out of bangalore early and am on 130+ wherever possible, ghat slowdown at sakleshpur, traffic when bypassing mangalore and the traffic towards kasargod.

well, what would you recommend ? Mangalore or coorg ? i need to get there as quickly as i can. i wont mind few extra k's since i travel with one year old baby.
Suggest take Bangalore- Mangalore road. You will take seven hours including break to reach Mangalore and then another one and half hours to Bekal. Yes, as Thunderbird says, it will take 8.5 to 9 hours. Road is good and you can enjoy the drive.

See post 3926 by Lohitrao and 3927 by Samurai in this thread. Lohit took 6.5 hours from Mangalore and Samurai took 7.5 hours from Manipal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/newrep...eply&p=2690859

If you go via Madikeri, you may almost take same time. The roads in Kerala is narrow, curvy and during day time there will be traffic which will slow you down. We left Bekal at 11.15 AM and reached Kanakapura road junction of NICE road at 8.30 PM. Being sunday, there was not much of traffic and we were faster.

This is what i would recommend. Go via Hassan - Mangalore and retrun via Madikeri. Enjoy best of the both. You will love the drive
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:41   #33
BHPian

Thanks a lot Fauji. I'd prefer mangalore route on both ways since i would be driving a punto and not an SUV. Smooth roads can keep my baby sleep for most part of the journey. I'll post a thread on my travel soon after i do
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 12:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Vibrant Charmadi again!!

Just came back from a family function in Chikmagalur over the weekend. Since there was nothing much to do in the late afternoon, went for a drive on Charmadi. Couldnot go long as there was a traffic jam. The forest was colourful and pleasing to the eyes. Here are some pictures.

Hue of colours in Vasanta ritu - Nature rejuvenating itself!!

Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Bekal-dsc_18192.jpg

Malaya Maruta - The beautiful forest gueet house - not open to public - as seen from the ghat road. One can see spectacular views Charmadi valley from this guest house

Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Bekal-dsc07285.jpg

Charmadi before sunset

Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Bekal-dsc_1820.jpg

Newly opened coffee shop just before Kottigehara. Welcome addition. Coffee was excellent.

Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Bekal-dsc_18491.jpg

Stopped over at Yagachi reservoir before Belur on the way back from CKM. Disappointed as they don't allow any visitors on the dam. Saw a signage for some adventure sports on the backwaters. Checked with the guys managing it and it is open to public as well. The landline was not working. Try the cell phone numbers given in website.

Capture - HR Outbound Team Capacity Building

Fauji's drivologues - Marriage an excuse, Drive a pleasure - Mullayanagiri and Bekal-dsc_1979.jpg
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 15:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vibrant Charmadi again!!

Quote:
J

Malaya Maruta - The beautiful forest gueet house - not open to public - as seen from the ghat road. One can see spectacular views Charmadi valley from this guest house
I think it is open to public. You need to get a booking done in the Forest Offices of Chikmagalur or Mudigere. Lovely location though!!
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 15:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
This route via Madikeri is actually shorter than the one via Mangalore. The road condition is much better than the return route that Fauji took via Gonikoppal. Here are the directions:

Bangalore - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Karikke- Panathur - Mavungal - Kanhangad - Bekal - Palakunnu.
Quote:
Agreed. Then this is the best route.

Bangalore - Madikeri - Virajpet - Kuttupuzah - Iritty - Kallaid - Sreekandapuram - Kunnoth - Taliparamba - Kanhangad - Bekal
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post

Even though it may not be the best in terms of road conditions, the route that Thunderbird suggested would be the one that I'd prefer to take - just because of the wonderful stretch of virgin forest that it passes through.

Bangalore to Madikeri can be easily done in about 4.5 hours if you're a reasonably fast driver and you're traversing SH-17 during non-peak hours. The road condition is excellent.

The road surface on the Madikeri-Bhagamandala sector (approx. 35 kms) isn't all that great, but the drive itself is very scenic with not very heavy traffic. Expect to take about 45 minutes to an hour to cover this stretch.

The Bhagamandala-Panathur stretch (About 25 to 30 kms) is the real highlight of this route. It's a narrow road that passes through very dense forest, and you will hardly encounter any traffic in this stretch (even though I was told that there are buses that operate through there). I travelled through this road the first time during last monsoon and it was an absolutely delightful drive - with huge waterfalls that suddenly appear out of nowhere as you turn almost every corner of the winding road. (My nephew who drove this way early this month based on my recommendation said that there are a few waterfalls even now - even though it isn't monsoon anymore). The road condition isn't great, so you have to drive slowly (Not that you would want to speed through anyway, the forest is that lovely). I'd think it would takes about an hour to 75 minutes of relaxed drive to cover this 25-30 kms.

The road from Panathur to Kanhangad (about 45 kms) is quite good, one should be able to do that distance in about 45 mins to an hour since there isn't much of traffic and the road is quite wide.

Overall I'd think one should be able to reach Kanhangad in about 7 to 7.5 hours. May be another half an hour from there to Bekal ?
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:21   #37
BHPian

Default Re: Taj Vivanta @ Bekal, Bekal fort and nice drive back home

Quote:

HVK had actually told us that the road goes through some beautiful areas of Wayanad district. How true it is. The road is winding and narrow. Fortunately we are driving on sunday, there is no traffic on the road and we can do decent speeds. But road condition is excellent throughout till Virajpet. It goes through beautiful scenic areas of Wayanad. Kutthupuzha river forms beautiful landscpe on its journey.
Faujibhai, It would be an injustice to Kannur, to call that beautiful stretch as part of Wayanad District! The stretch from Bekal to Karivelloor, near Payyannur belongs to Kasargod district and the entire stretch after that till Koottupuzha bridge is part of Kannur district. You have not entered Wayanad district at all!! Kannur is charmingly beautiful and as you have rightly said, can beat many other backwaters in south Kerala
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 16:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Faujibhai, It would be an injustice to Kannur, to call that beautiful stretch as part of Wayanad District! The stretch from Bekal to Karivelloor, near Payyannur belongs to Kasargod district and the entire stretch after that till Koottupuzha bridge is part of Kannur district. You have not entered Wayanad district at all!! Kannur is charmingly beautiful and as you have rightly said, can beat many other backwaters in south Kerala
Sandsun,

Thanks for correcting me. Cannanore and Malabar is an unexplored gem like the Karavali coast in Karnataka. It's time in the sun will come soon
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:08   #39
BHPian

Great pictures.. leaving for Vivanta Bekal tomorrow morning @ 3AM from Bangalore and will be there for the weekend. Was skeptical about the route until now, since there aren't any recent road reviews. Thanks! Cant wait to get there!
amitwadhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 00:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
Great pictures.. leaving for Vivanta Bekal tomorrow morning @ 3AM from Bangalore and will be there for the weekend. Was skeptical about the route until now, since there aren't any recent road reviews. Thanks! Cant wait to get there!
ok so here is a route update..

Route: Bangalore - Mysore ring Road - Madikeri - Sulia - Kasargod - Bekal
Left my house in whitefield, Bangalore - 2:35 AM
Reached the hotel in Bekal at 1015 AM.

Great roads - Bangalore to Mysore, Mysore to Madikeri, Sulia to Kasargod to Bekal
Bad roads - Madikeri to Sulia - nothing not doable here though.

Time taken - BLR - Mysore - 2.5 hours (Yeah - am pretty slow when its dark), Mysore - Bekal - 5.25 hours . Total 7.75 hours, including 3-4 short breaks (for my puppy to do her thing), and a half hour break at a coffee place between Mysore and Madikeri.

Timeline - courtsey - Google Latitude Location history.

BLR - 235 AM, MYSORE - 5AM, MADIKERI - 730 AM, SULIA - 840 AM, KASARGOD - 930 AM, CHERKALA - 945 AM, UDMA - 1010 AM, BEKAL HOTEL - 1015 AM

No traffic ANYWHERE on this route - I guess owing to the time I left Bangalore.

While returning Sunday afternoon, I took a slightly different route considering it to be Sunday evening, and the whole Junta returning to Bangalore after a long Ugadi weekend.

Route: BEKAL - KASARGOD - SULIA - MADIKERI - MYSORE - MALAVALLI - KANAKPURA - BANGALORE

Plenty of traffic from Bekal all the way till Mysore.

Left Bekal at 140 pm reached home at Bangalore - 1035 PM - almost 9 hours.

Road conditions - same as above, except that Mysore - malavalli - kanakpura - blr - never ceases to impress me - empty and well-laid though narrow roads - any day, any time.

Time taken - Bekal to Mysore - 5.5 hours. Mysore to home - 3.5 hours (Much longer route to avoid traffic on Mysore Road, and well worth it!)

Timeline - courtsey - Google Latitude Location history.

BEKAL - 140 PM, UDMA - 145 PM, SULIA - 313 PM, KODAGU - 430 PM (Got pulled over for speeding - Driving at 50 kph in a 45 kph highway - didn't pay up 'cos they couldn't show me the "printout/image"), SUNTIKOPPA - 515 PM (GAS TOP-UP), MYSORE - 713PM, MALAVALLI - 826 PM, KANAKPURA - 915 PM, NICE ROAD JUNCTION - 948 PM, ELECTRONIC CITY - 10PM, WHITEFIELD - 1039 PM.

The Malavalli route was taken at Mysore - continuing on outer ring road to hit the road parallel to Mysore Road (Kanakpura Road).

..and I overdid this post a little (but only because I was so impressed with the timetrace feature of google latitude), and if anyone is interested in the .kml file generated by latitude/google maps for this trip, I can share it with you.

Happy Steering!
amitwadhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
ok so here is a route update..

Route: Bangalore - Mysore ring Road - Madikeri - Sulia - Kasargod - Bekal
Whats the best route to reach Nileshwar? Planning to do a family trip with oldies from Bangalore on a Tempo Traveller.
srikanthp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 10:17   #42
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Bumping up this old thread to understand the road conditions. I will be driving from Bangalore to Bekal and will take the following route unless people have other suggestions, kindly advise:

Bangalore - Mysore ring Road - Madikeri - Sulia - Kasargod - Bekal

Cheers,
Sid
mailtosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 11:34   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
I will be driving from Bangalore to Bekal and will take the following route unless people have other suggestions, kindly advise:

Bangalore - Mysore ring Road - Madikeri - Sulia - Kasargod - Bekal
Its all here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-info-9.html

Instead of Mysore you can go via Hassan-Sakleshpur-Shiradi-Gundya-Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala-Bekal.

Good roads all the way
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 13:13   #44
BHPian

Thanks Ampere!
I will update on the road conditions after I return...
Old 25th September 2014, 10:10   #45
BHPian

Hi All,

Update on the route:
1. Bangalore to Bekal:
Route Taken: Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Mangalore - Bekal
Bad roads from Sakleshpur all the way till Bekal. Especially after entering kerala from Mangalore, the roads turn into worse where it took 2 hours to cross 50 kms.
Driving time: 8.5 hrs including an hour for breaks.

2. Bekal to Bangalore:
Route Taken: Bekal - Cherkala - Sulya - Madikeri - Mysore - Bangalore
Good roads most of the time with some bad and unannounced bad patches, hence you need to be careful. One guy almost rear-ended me as I slowed down for a broken patch. As others have already said, the scenic route more than makes up for it.
Driving Time: 10 hrs as we had to transit through Mysore(I tank up only at Shell and hence entered Mysore to refuel) and the dense traffic on Mysore - Bangalore highway.

I would prefer route 2 above based on the road conditions and scenic route.

TC,
Sid