Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th February 2012, 18:33   #1
BHPian

Default Tadoba in January 2012

I and my wife are absolute wildlife fanatics and hardcore birders. We have been going to jungles and national parks since the last 4 years, ever since we started out from Kanha which coincidentally was also our honeymoon trip. So the magic started out at Kanha and since then we have been to almost all the national parks close to Mumbai.

Tadoba has been on my mind since a few years now and after a failed attempt last year in the monsoon, I was not going to let this opportunity go and so was on there with my wife and 2 of her buddies in mid Jan.

Took the Duranto to Nagpur and then hired a Tavera to Tadoba from Nagpur. The plan was to reach Tadoba by noon to catch the first safari in the afternoon. We were booked at Royal Jungle resort the newest and by far the cleanest resort that I have ever been too so far in all these years of jungle safaris. Its near the Morarli gate and is closer than the MTDC resort to the Moharli gate.

After a quick lunch we were ready in the gypsy by 2:00PM. At the gate saw a lot of private vehicles including a Maruti Ritz waiting to enter inside.
As soon as we entered we were on a tar road, a rare site in any national park. Being birders, we quickly encountered a Sirkeer Malkoha and this was a good sign of things to come

Saw a plethora of the usual suspects such as Chitals, Sambars, langurs, treepies, jungle babblers, Rose ringed parakeets etc etc....

So now let me open this post with a few mandatory pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6816r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6824r.jpg  

SPARKled is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 20:50   #2
BHPian

Default re: Tadoba in January 2012

Beautiful start to the travelogue. I love both the photos with the blue skies, especially the second one.

Do share the trip costs and the logistics/distances involved.
aryasanyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 00:30   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good start. The tree in the 2nd pic is GUM TREE, when I was told by the guide that it changes its color in every season. waiting for More pics
joshuakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 10:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

More than a year after, you start writing a travelogue and then put-up only two pictures? Waiting for more and do it fast..! Also do tell what camera gear were you using.

Did you PP the second picture or used a CPL?

Last edited by gd1418 : 19th February 2012 at 10:44.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
More than a year after, you start writing a travelogue and then put-up only two pictures? Waiting for more and do it fast..! Also do tell what camera gear were you using.

Did you PP the second picture or used a CPL?

Oh Oh Oh!!! My mistake,the thread title should read Tadoba 2012 and not 2011. I hope the mods can make the necessary changes. No CPL used, just a UWA Tokina 12-24 on a dinosaur D50 body. Yes more pictures will follow soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Good start. The tree in the 2nd pic is GUM TREE, when I was told by the guide that it changes its color in every season. waiting for More pics
I am not sure if its also called the Indian gum tree, but everywhere that I have gone, I was told its an Indian Ghost tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Beautiful start to the travelogue. I love both the photos with the blue skies, especially the second one.

Do share the trip costs and the logistics/distances involved.
Stay was approximately 3000 for a room with 600 for the meals. Gypsy safaris were approx 2100 per safari, but you can cut this down if you have your own vehicle at least in Tadoba but not in other national parks.

Its sometimes a little disheartening to know that all the gypsy drivers and guides assume that people come to national parks only to see tigers. I firmly believe that if people can get rid of this tiger centric image of national parks, they will surely enjoy their stays and safaris a lot more than with a tiger only kind of an attitude.

So here are a few birds I shot with with my 300f4 AFS and TC combo and the 180 2.8 for bigger animals.

Of course the King himself gave a far off glimpse, but that only whetted our appetite for more.

The birds in the photos are Shikra male, White eyed Buzzard, Brainfever bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6810r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6861r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6870r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6879r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6900r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6888r.jpg  

Last edited by SPARKled : 19th February 2012 at 11:43.
SPARKled is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 12:31   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Tadoba in January 2012

Most beautiful jungle safari pictures seen in a long time!

Thank you very much for sharing the travelogue and the pictures.

So, you seem to say, you can take your own vehicle for safari in Tadoba. Are
guides available over there who will help you with the ride?
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 13:13   #7
BHPian

@SPARKled: The opening shot was just amazing! I'm planning a trip in Mar, next month. So any information would be welcome. Can you pls provide some more details of the accommodation. 3000 for accommodation was for how many rooms/ days and was 600 for food for all the days etc.

Looking forward to the remaining pics.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Raghunath Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 16:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Most beautiful jungle safari pictures seen in a long time!

Thank you very much for sharing the travelogue and the pictures.

So, you seem to say, you can take your own vehicle for safari in Tadoba. Are
guides available over there who will help you with the ride?
Yes you have to compulsorily take a guide, however you can take your own vehicle. Infact there are State Transport buses that go right through the park to some villages beyond. These were regularly seen by us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
@SPARKled: The opening shot was just amazing! I'm planning a trip in Mar, next month. So any information would be welcome. Can you pls provide some more details of the accommodation. 3000 for accommodation was for how many rooms/ days and was 600 for food for all the days etc.
Actually I should have been more clearer in my post. 3000 includes the room and the food on twin sharing basis. So just the room is 2400 and the food is 600. We were there for 2 nights and 3 days. Summer will only improve your tiger spotting chances and my only advise will be to go for as many safaris as your time and budget permits.

The only problem besides the reach for bird shots is that I got most of my shots with the sun behind the subject, so had to pp to get some contrast in almost all my images. But seriously that is not in our hands and it is this unpredictable nature of nature and wildlife photography that makes it all the more fun.

Meanwhwile here are some more shots. the additional birds in the pictures are Crested Serpent Eagle, Oriental Honey Buzzard and Yellow footed green pigeon, Black headed Ibis, Black shouldered kite.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6870r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6878r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6916r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6926r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6937r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6948r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6837r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6962r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6973r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7007r.jpg  

Attached Images

SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 21:58   #9
BHPian

The next day after noon safari gave us the glimpse of the Jungle cat, a lifer for us, a grey jungle fowl male and the next morning safari, gave us a very good sighting of a male tiger followed by the Changeable Hawk Eagle.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_6986r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7009r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7000r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7012r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7033r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7037r.jpg  

Tadoba in January 2012-dsc_7064r.jpg  

SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 22:58   #10
BHPian

@Sparkled: Thanks buddy for the info, sorry have few follow up questions. Wasn't able to locate the resort you mentioned "Royal Jungle resort" on the web, however located something called "Royal Tiger Resort, Tadoba" not sure if this is the one. Is it possible to share the contact number? Also, can you let me know how much did it cost from Nagpur to Tadoba in the Tavera? I'm traveling from Bangalore and have more options in train/ flight till Nagpur.

As advised I'm surely thinking of taking multiple safari rides. The photos are just amazing, my second fav is the wide angle shot with the watch tower in the left of the frame, too good. By the way can you share your camera/ lens gear?

Sorry for multiple questions, but you are bound to pay a price for such a nice travelouge complimented with equally good pics . Keep them coming.
Raghunath Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 11:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sparkled,

Great TL and lovely pictures. You are also lucky to spot the Tiger. Keep it coming

Quote:
@Sparkled: Thanks buddy for the info, sorry have few follow up questions. Wasn't able to locate the resort you mentioned "Royal Jungle resort" on the web, Sorry for multiple questions, but you are bound to pay a price for such a nice travelouge complimented with equally good pics . Keep them coming.
Raghunath,

Pls take the help of our tiger man in Nagpur - Dr Abheek Ghosh. You can see his outstanding TLs on Tadoba.

He is a great guy and has two excellent boys - Tejas and Parag - as part of his NGO who will be of great help during your rides. Since his NGO is also doing resrch in Tadoba these boys coming with you will be helpful to them as well.

You can call Abheek @ 7304170270
Fauji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:08   #12
BHPian

wow, another awesome thread on Tadoba and Wildlife. Well written and the pictures have come out really well. Hoping there is more to write and to post and kindly do not make us wait to watch the forest through your lens.

Thanks,Aravind
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Oh Oh Oh!!! My mistake,the thread title should read Tadoba 2012 and not 2011. I hope the mods can make the necessary changes. No CPL used, just a UWA Tokina 12-24 on a dinosaur D50 body. Yes more pictures will follow soon.

I am not sure if its also called the Indian gum tree, but everywhere that I have gone, I was told its an Indian Ghost tree.

Stay was approximately 3000 for a room with 600 for the meals. Gypsy safaris were approx 2100 per safari, but you can cut this down if you have your own vehicle at least in Tadoba but not in other national parks.

Its sometimes a little disheartening to know that all the gypsy drivers and guides assume that people come to national parks only to see tigers. I firmly believe that if people can get rid of this tiger centric image of national parks, they will surely enjoy their stays and safaris a lot more than with a tiger only kind of an attitude.

So here are a few birds I shot with with my 300f4 AFS and TC combo and the 180 2.8 for bigger animals.

Of course the King himself gave a far off glimpse, but that only whetted our appetite for more.

The birds in the photos are Shikra male, White eyed Buzzard, Brainfever bird.
Any reasons, elephant in one of your pic is chained?
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
@Sparkled: Thanks buddy for the info, sorry have few follow up questions. Wasn't able to locate the resort you mentioned "Royal Jungle resort" on the web, however located something called "Royal Tiger Resort, Tadoba" not sure if this is the one. Is it possible to share the contact number? Also, can you let me know how much did it cost from Nagpur to Tadoba in the Tavera? I'm traveling from Bangalore and have more options in train/ flight till Nagpur.

As advised I'm surely thinking of taking multiple safari rides. The photos are just amazing, my second fav is the wide angle shot with the watch tower in the left of the frame, too good. By the way can you share your camera/ lens gear?

Sorry for multiple questions, but you are bound to pay a price for such a nice travelouge complimented with equally good pics . Keep them coming.

Yes I think its the same resort. Sorry about the confusion. The standard rate is 2000 per day for some x number of kms which I cant recollect as of now. So you can even save on a gypsy safari by taking your hired Tavera/Innova inside the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Any reasons, elephant in one of your pic is chained?
Its chained because this is not a wild elephant. It is used by the forest department when they track tigers.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Awesome snaps.. this would definitely be an understatement. The camera, the lens and the settings are a treat to watch. With the snaps, I could see that you should be a professional. Thanks for sharing the snaps.. Hope I would some day do the same thing as you have done in southern part of India..

Last edited by informmaha : 20th February 2012 at 14:36.
informmaha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote