Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 16:49   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Thanks MK, We did have a great time. For snow, definitely Feb is the best time. Manali and NArkanda are prone to shutting out, though. Numerous ski resorts - Kufri/ Narkanda/ Manali are at their prime around this time.

Cheers,
Tapish
Thanks Tapish for sure this is on my TO DO list. Only question would be is to get leave for a feb as ideally this would be a 2 week jaunt for someone starting from Bangalore.

Aviorp = Avinash
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 16:52   #17
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Thanks Tapish for sure this is on my TO DO list. Only question would be is to get leave for a feb as ideally this would be a 2 week jaunt for someone starting from Bangalore.

Aviorp = Avinash
Do you plan to drive down? If not, a 5 day leave (add both weekends= 9 days) should suffice.

Hope that makes things brighter.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 16:55   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Do you plan to drive down? If not, a 5 day leave (add both weekends= 9 days) should suffice.

Cheers,
Tapish
Yes Sir, plan to drive from Bangalore. Not a big fan of travelling by air or rail. Gives you very less opportunity to interact and inhale local culture/cuisine/flavor.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:31   #19
BHPian
 
aviorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 431
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Roads to Sangla were surely open. We did not enquire about Chitkul though. Are you planning a trip soon?
Yup, this year planning to cover Spiti. Most likely in August. I guess Chitkul is one of the most scenic places, right? Did you guys skip because of less time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yes Sir, plan to drive from Bangalore. Not a big fan of travelling by air or rail. Gives you very less opportunity to interact and inhale local culture/cuisine/flavor.
Mahesh sir, planning to ride or drive ? I'm planning for Aug/Sep. Have you finalized the time of the year/dates?

Last edited by aviorp : 1st March 2012 at 17:35.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:45   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Mahesh sir, planning to ride or drive ? I'm planning for Aug/Sep. Have you finalized the time of the year/dates?
Avinash Sir, planning to drive, dates are from 22nd Sept to 10th October. Have you firmed up any dates? Would be lovely if they match
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:54   #21
BHPian
 
aviorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 431
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Avinash Sir, planning to drive, dates are from 22nd Sept to 10th October. Have you firmed up any dates? Would be lovely if they match
That time of the year is best in terms of less tourists and the lodges/rooms costs less. Only problem is, you may never know when it might start snowing. Last year, we did between Sep 8th and 25th. Could not make it to Spiti because of heavy snow. So, thought of going a little early. Not finalized yet though.

Are you planning to cover spiti as well? We will catch up sometime and discuss sirji.

Sorry for going OT on your thread Tapish. May be you could help us and let us know the best time to visit Spiti.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 18:24   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Sorry for going OT on your thread Tapish. May be you could help us and let us know the best time to visit Spiti.
Sorry from my end as well Tapish for going

Avinash, Yes we need to sync up. Can you please PM me your number so that we can set up for a caffeine dose this saturday?
Nopes am not doing the Spiti, am doing the regular plane jane tourist circuit this time around. This time is more for marking the territory and making plans for future visits. Felt that Ladakh belt needs atleast 3-4 visits before one can have his fill of the nature.

Rough outliner: Bangalore--Vapi--Ramgarh--Amritsar--Srinagar--Srinagar--Kargil--Leh--Turtok--Leh--Pangong (Day Trip)--Leh-- Keylong--Manali--Delhi Udaipur--Pune--Bangalore

No sight seeing except for Wagah Border, Jallianwalah Bagh & Golden Gurudwara.


Tapish,
Eagerly awaiting your inputs on Spiti.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:08   #23
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
That time of the year is best in terms of less tourists and the lodges/rooms costs less. Only problem is, you may never know when it might start snowing. Last year, we did between Sep 8th and 25th. Could not make it to Spiti because of heavy snow. So, thought of going a little early. Not finalized yet though.

Are you planning to cover spiti as well? We will catch up sometime and discuss sirji.

Sorry for going OT on your thread Tapish. May be you could help us and let us know the best time to visit Spiti.
Avinash sir,
Chitkul was not considered as we were focused on Puh. Also, since the planning had been done enroute Puh, there was little else that could receive our attention.

Avinash/ MK sir,

Even we could not go ahead because of snow. So that makes two of us who had to return at two different times due to snow .
The best time to visit Spiti should be September end/ Feb end. The sole reason for this is that June - August shall see a huge tourist influx, as on the Ladakh circuit.

I do not remmber exactly, but I did come across a thread while my planning, where someone had taken his Safari to Ladakh in mid Oct. It was dicey around that time, so probably you can take a 20 day range, and go towards mid/end September.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Tapish,
Eagerly awaiting your inputs on Spiti.
Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:49   #24
BHPian
 
negativeH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 182
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Hey Tapish, great thread. Must have been an awesome experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Road condition before Peo is as such bad and slush/snow makes it pretty tricky. It was a wise decision to turn back from where you did, no point damaging the vehicle. Or worse, getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Hey, would the roads still be that bad minus the snow? Am planning a drive a Reckong Peo next to next week with a few friends, in a Safari. Would the roads be do-able now, given we have some experienced drivers?
Any other pointers?
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:33   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Hey, would the roads still be that bad minus the snow? Am planning a drive a Reckong Peo next to next week with a few friends, in a Safari. Would the roads be do-able now, given we have some experienced drivers?
Any other pointers?
It'd be a cakewalk in Safari, avoid driving post daytime though. Have fun!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:23   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon

The road after Wangtu Bridge till you cross the Dam activity at Karcham are bad all round the year. The rains/ snow just make it more slushy but a safari with some reduced tyre pressure should not have any major issue crossing the bad stretches.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route? abhypras Route / Travel Queries 4 26th July 2014 12:08
Impromptu getaway to Himavath Gopalaswamy Betta - Saturday December 13 2008. theMAG Travelogues 14 17th December 2008 22:15
Impromptu Goa National Meet on 24Feb'08 moralfibre The Team-BHP Meet Section 52 29th February 2008 01:30
An impromptu photoshoot i did yesterday.... CaliAtenza Shifting gears 8 9th March 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks