Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th March 2012, 11:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Khushboo Gujarat Ki - A road trip to the birding paradise

Man, the pics are just awesome. The bokeh in some of the shots is terrific to say the least. No wonder you were with your 600mm telescope
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 21:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
All of them showcasing the diversity of our land.
Loved the Nilgai shots with the red grass in the background.
Thanks C300. I couldn't agree with you more on the diversity comment. India as a country has far more to offer in the wildlife diversity as compared to most of the other countries. It is upon us to make sure we protect and preserve it for the future generations. I still havent had a chance to visit most of the northern forest reserves and am taking one step at a time to cover all of it in the coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Really nice trip and a heady mix of camera equipment, a 600mm? No wonder the photographs of the birds are crisp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Man, the pics are just awesome. The bokeh in some of the shots is terrific to say the least. No wonder you were with your 600mm telescope
Thanks Motomaverick & Neoonwheels. Well, the 600mm is just a piece of equipment IMHO, what really matters is the subject and the kind of light and background you shoot with which makes the photograph look good or bad. The lens does help in isolating the subject and certainly is sharp etc etc, however, I can tell you that not all shots with the lens look stunning. It needs that perfect balance of ingredients to make a beautiful picture.

The places in Gujarat offer a perfect setting to capture the animals or birds in their natural habitat and with the least amount of obstructions mainly due to the open landscapes. This is very different from what you'd see in the other forests since you're always trying to find the best possible angle to avoid all the obstructions between you and the subject, there's hardly any time to think about the direction of light etc. Another example of this could be the difference between the jungles in India vs Africa. The vast open lands in Africa give you a lot more flexibility in choosing your angles to shoot vs in India where you're always supposed to make best use whatever's available.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 09:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Thanks Motomaverick & Neoonwheels. Well, the 600mm is just a piece of equipment IMHO, what really matters is the subject and the kind of light and background you shoot with which makes the photograph look good or bad. The lens does help in isolating the subject and certainly is sharp etc etc, however, I can tell you that not all shots with the lens look stunning. It needs that perfect balance of ingredients to make a beautiful picture.

The places in Gujarat offer a perfect setting to capture the animals or birds in their natural habitat and with the least amount of obstructions mainly due to the open landscapes. This is very different from what you'd see in the other forests since you're always trying to find the best possible angle to avoid all the obstructions between you and the subject, there's hardly any time to think about the direction of light etc. Another example of this could be the difference between the jungles in India vs Africa. The vast open lands in Africa give you a lot more flexibility in choosing your angles to shoot vs in India where you're always supposed to make best use whatever's available.
True about the background obstructions and lighting but then to reach those birds that "mm" does matter a lot, anyways really nice captures. Should start a photography tbhp meet sometime as we got quite a few photographers with talent among us
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Amazing snaps as usual.
Good to see lot of birding threads here...beyond the usual tiger trails!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 16:45   #20
BHPian

Lovely snaps. Gujarat must be one of the most under-rated travel destinations in India - Looks like it is only now, after AB's campaign, people are waking up to the states potential.

People throwing garbage/drinking/smoking - my pet peeve and I have many a time fought with people doing that. Wish there is stricter enforcement of rules in our country
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Khushboo Gujarat Ki - A road trip to the birding paradise

Amol: Wonderful pictures and nice narration. Loved the pictures of birds.. Gujarat has come out Vibrant through your lenses!!

I've been to most places you captured, every time somebody writes a T Log its a joy to read more, there's an individual flavor each person brings out from his perspective. Yours is truly Khusboodar, thanks for sharing.

--Ramky
=======
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 21:03   #22
MX6
Senior - BHPian

What astounding pictures amolpol. Your camera gear is impressive too! The pics are testimony to your photographic skills and the gear!

Please do continue. Amazing thread! definite 5 star stuff!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 15:29   #23
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Should start a photography tbhp meet sometime as we got quite a few photographers with talent among us
+1 to that. Guess it would make a excellent group of people who have 3 things in common. TBHP, Automobiles & Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
People throwing garbage/drinking/smoking - my pet peeve and I have many a time fought with people doing that. Wish there is stricter enforcement of rules in our country
I wish too, it pains when I visit Pangong and see that there are empty packets of Lays and Kurkure lying all around. Such is the story of almost all places which have been opened for tourists in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I've been to most places you captured, every time somebody writes a T Log its a joy to read more, there's an individual flavor each person brings out from his perspective. Yours is truly Khusboodar, thanks for sharing.

--Ramky
=======
Thanks Ramky, I'm sure everytime you visit the place it will have more things to offer. I was really amazed by the variety of things to do in Gujarat. I've still got a pending list of places and activities to do and will surely make time again to visit.

Adding a couple more pictures of the flamingos as requested in one of the earlier posts.

Khushboo Gujarat Ki - A road trip to the birding paradise-gujarat-055.jpg

Khushboo Gujarat Ki - A road trip to the birding paradise-gujarat-056.jpg
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 18:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Very nice and different kind of trip from Bangalore. Forests/Wildlife always attracts certain section persons and it is quite refreshing. As always of your logs PICS are awesome and of-course you Safari too.

One Question: How do you recognize almost all birds that you see? Tough names Huh...
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 00:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Very nice and different kind of trip from Bangalore. Forests/Wildlife always attracts certain section persons and it is quite refreshing. As always of your logs PICS are awesome and of-course you Safari too.
Thanks Anuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
One Question: How do you recognize almost all birds that you see? Tough names Huh...
Well, a little bit of reading about the place and the wildlife found there gives you a good idea of what you can expect (wikipedia helps a lot here). Then, once you're on field, you'd apply all that to look for birds/animals and identify them based on certain characteristics that are unique to them. Believe me, identifying birds was and still is quite challenging at times and a good book is always handy. I use Dr Salim Ali's book on Indian birds as a reference and rely on google and INW at other times to ID certain sub-species of birds. It's a good exercise to search for the name of a bird you've captured on camera since in that process you probably would pick up on atleast 3-4 others that will be helpful for the future.

Photographing birds though is a slightly different story, you need to understand on the bird habitat and behavior to make some good shots. A lot of times we try to go behind the birds, but instead we should let the birds come to us by being as inconspicuous as possible and letting ourselves become a part of the environment. But this is completely and may warrant another discussion altogether.
Old 30th March 2012, 23:57   #26
BHPian

Wonderful images again!
I have not gone thru the entire write-up but have had a look at the picture more than a couple times now One of them sounded familiar, do you share your images with Indian Birds group on FB or INW by any chance?

Some of the pictures are just lovely and I'm sure the experience must have been great! I'm just waiting for such a great trip around these areas, hopefully I will see these places one day!
Awesome images, thanks for sharing.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 05:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Greater Rann of Kutch

Quote:
The place we stayed, Shaam-e-Sarhad was a very unique experience. The place is built like the traditional village and the bhungas (circular mud huts) are very nicely built.
Amazing pictures, all of them, but specifically the nilgai, its been ages i have seen them (in real or pictures).

Went to the resort's web site (:: Contact Us ::), the place looks beautiful, but wouldnt it get very hot in summers? Is winters the only good time to make a trip to this place?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 11:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Wonderful images again!
I have not gone thru the entire write-up but have had a look at the picture more than a couple times now One of them sounded familiar, do you share your images with Indian Birds group on FB or INW by any chance?

Awesome images, thanks for sharing.
Thanks Ketan!

I usually share my pictures through my FB page - WildZests.com | Facebook and sometimes on INW too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Amazing pictures, all of them, but specifically the nilgai, its been ages i have seen them (in real or pictures).

Went to the resort's web site (:: Contact Us ::), the place looks beautiful, but wouldnt it get very hot in summers? Is winters the only good time to make a trip to this place?
Thanks Mayank.

On your question about the time to visit Rann, it's best visited during the winters. What I heard from the locals there was that summer temperatures can go higher than 45 degrees upto 50 sometimes and most places are flooded with limited or no access during the monsoon. I'd say Nov-Jan is a good time to go.
Old 31st March 2012, 16:14   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The land of Khurs

Quote:
You can also drive your car inside the Rann after obtaining a permit from the forest office, we did that for a couple of times and it was fun!
In my 2.5 years at Ahd and since then, yours is the first person I have ever heard who has taken a permit to drive into the rann. We motorcyclists "Just do it!"
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 00:14   #30
BHPian

Default Re: The land of Khurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In my 2.5 years at Ahd and since then, yours is the first person I have ever heard who has taken a permit to drive into the rann. We motorcyclists "Just do it!"
Yup, that's the case with almost everyone who visits the Rann, car or bike or on foot doesn't matter since the permit is for the person entering and the vehicle if any. The forest dept guys were complaining of it as well, in fact they have 2-3 guys who do patrol duty through the day only to catch offenders who have entered the Rann without permits. Given that the Rann has no fixed entry/exit points and the forest dept has a handful of men who are responsible for the 5000 sqkm area, it's no easy task to regulate entry into the Rann.

Next time you visit, do make it a point to get the permit. BTW, the resort guys at Desert Coursers did get the permits for our entry each day and charged us for it accordingly.