Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th March 2012, 14:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!

I normally visit Goa atleast once a year and sometimes even twice a year.

Last few years have consistently went there during the monsoon season as Iam completely mesmerized by Goa's natural beauty which stands out even more so during the rainy season. Everything turns absolutely green and goanese architecture which is inherently colorful stands out in contrast.

However, couldnt visit last year due to hectic work load. I beileve, I have visited goa in almost all seasons ( Monsoon, Summer and even went there once during peak season of Christmas and NY's and its simply madness during that time. Besides, having to pay 4 times for everything compared to other seasons.

March onwards my work life was planned to get hectic so before that period starts, me and wifey decided to make a quick trip. It was initially planned during mid-feb but, work made sure we extended it for a week. Even till the last day, it looked as if Feb 22nd was also not going to be possible.

But, I was firm to make it happen and finally the D-day arrived and we for a change woke up on time at 4:30am and freshned up and within an hour or so were all raring to go.

As its customary for long trips, I had tanked up a day before including the nitrogen top-up. It was my first time to Goa in Cruze so obviously, I was mighty excited.

Following is the route that we took with details of road condition. Wanted to share this here so I or anyone else can always take a look at this travelogue in future for a quick reference for route and road conditions

Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jewargi-Bijapur-Athani-Chikodi-Gandiglaj-Ajra-Amboli Ghat-Sawantwadi-Baga Beach

Total : 731kms

Onward Journey (Feb 22, 2012)

Having started at 5:45AM, it was kind of a personal record of reaching the turn of Baga Beach in 11 hours and 30 mins with following breaks at 5:15pm with odo reading 731kms:

15 mins for BF at Jewargi
40 mins for lunch at Sankeshwar
20 mins for Vad Pav at Amboli Ghat
20kms of detour on NH 4 as I couldn't find the route to Gandiglaj

Started from home at 5:45am and covered 510kms in 7 hours (one of the most enjoyable drives) and 230kms in remaining time

I hadnt moved an inch from the wheel for 7 hours continuously and still felt fresh after all that drive. In my previous car, I wouldnt have lasted for more than 3 hours maximum and would have ended up with a shooting right-knee pain. Another bonus point for the Cruze

Last stretch from sawantwadi to goa check post was in horrendous condition. Some 15kms no road at all. Make sure to take the road from bottom as its slightly better.

But, due to my navigator (wifey) who saw a couple of cars going from top ( normal course of road) suggested me to take the same route so I blindly followed and terribly regretted that decision. There is road widening and bridge construction happening.

We were stopped at check post and enquired if carrying lot of cash due to ongoing elections in Goa. We were on a budget trip, so they were asking the wrong people

Return Journey (Feb 26th, 2012)

Started from my hotel in Baga beach at 7:30AM and reached home at 7:30PM. 12 hours door-to-door

Salient Points of this trip :-

a) Baga Hotel to Gulbarga City reached at 3:00pm (7.5 hours)

b) Reached the turning to Hyderabad at Humnabad (NH9) at 4:30pm (9 hours)

c) Reached Icrisat at 6:00pm (10.5 hours)

d) Due to heavy traffic from Icrisat onwards reached home at Himayathnagar at 7:30pm (12 hours)

Points to note for conditions on this route :-

a) Lot of sugarcane trucks/carts from Gandiglaj onwards for many kilometers

b) Experienced a lot of truck traffic on NH9 on return

c) Gandiglaj to Baga Beach is approximately 200kms and it will take minimum 5 hours. This time is hard to reduce.

d) Lot of speedbreakers from Gulbarga to Bijapur and all of them are un-marked

e) Above time can be achieved with a bit of aggressive driving and with minimum possible breaks. I doubt if goa can be reached in shorter timespan than this time keeping real time conditions in mind

f) Crossing Bijapur will be time-consuming as roads are in bad condition before the Gol Gumaz and you need to traverse around them and weave through the thick of the city traffic

Here are the first set of pictures giving an indication of road condition on NH9 highway up till Humnabad.

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0447.jpg

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0450.jpg

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0448.jpg

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0452.jpg

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0456.jpg

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0455.jpg

Yours truly during the first pitstop for breakfast at Jewargi

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0465.jpg

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0468.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th March 2012 at 14:59.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 14:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!

The entire drive was peaceful as there was not much traffic especially from the turn towards Gulbarga until you actually reach the Bijapur town.

Most of this stretch is a driver's delight and we were listening to songs, chatting and clipping away in that order.....

Our breakfast consisted of wheat bread sandwiches with butter and marzorine chutney ( Marzorine is a popular sandwich place in Pune and I love their unique style of chutney which we too make at home ( actually copied from them).

After quickly finishing our breakfast we resumed the drive and focused on our next destination which was Bijapur.

Once we reached Bijapur around 10:30AM, we were greeted by the famous Gol Gumaaz. We passed right by it and snapped away a couple of quick pictures.

Post that we continued our progress towards goa and crossed Chikodi and were greeted by the NH4 expressway where I made a mistake of turning left instead of going straight towards Gandiglaj

Lost some precious time and some 20kms getting off the expressway and finding our way back to Gandiglaj. I have this serious issue, whenever I get on to some awesome tarmac like the NH4, I seem to go nuts and forget watching the signboards and in due course overshoot my destination. It happened during my Rajasthan trip too when i got intoxicated by those lovely stretches and overshoot not 1km or 2km but, 100kms one-way..LOL

This place onwards its common route and known to most of us. Narrow roads with lush greenry on both sides with lot of sugar cane traffic and after stopping for another home-made lunch of Roti, Curry and Salads finally reached Amoli Ghat at about 3pm where we stopped for our mandatory vada-pavs as we Hyderabadis dont get to enjoy this snack too often in our city

However, the quality of vada-pav was terrible but, felt good just for its novelty.
Attached Thumbnails
CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0472.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0477.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0473.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0483.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0481.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0485.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0489.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0490.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0492.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th March 2012 at 15:03.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awesome trip and superb pics! Please continue the travelogue. I'd like the see Amboli ghat pics and re-live my experience there.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:16   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2012 at 19:16.
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 5th March 2012, 15:24   #5
BHPian

Great start and lovely pictures Avi Bhai. Looking forward for the rest of the travelogue.

There is a by pass before entering Bijapur town or was it that you wanted to see the Gol Gumbaz.
zen91 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:24   #6
BHPian

Avi, great pics. I guess Goa is one place where in you will never get bored despite visiting every year. You get good vada pav's in penderghast street near paradise. They may not taste as good as the one's you get in Pune/Mumbai but pretty decent stuff for Hyderabad standards.
sparsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Pics Pandeyji!!
Looking at the road pics, it seems this route is the best to take for Goa.
I would be looking forward for the more fun pics of Goa.

P.S: you can't seem to hold yourself from posing and smiling with your WA !!
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!

Fantastic write up and thanks for the driving tips. Your Cruze looks quite majestic.

Waiting for the travelogue to reach Goa but could resist asking. So did you manage to visit the Sea Horse Resort on the Baga beach? If so please do share the experience, will help me since I am scheduled to visit Goa in the second week of March. How's the climate in Goa now?

Keeps the wonderful pics coming.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:33   #9
BHPian

Wow!! Congratulations on the lovely trip.
Even I am quite fond of Goa and always want to go their on my own vehicle but the distance from my place to Goa is a big problem. Hopefully someday...

Nice pictures. Waiting for more..

CHEERS!!
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 16:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
There is a by pass before entering Bijapur town or was it that you wanted to see the Gol Gumbaz.
Oh! Is there one? I never knew there was a bypass. Would have taken that as passing through the city and in front of Gol Gumaaz was a nightmare as almost a km of road is dug up and had to precariously weave through that bad stretch.

How to take that bypass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
You get good vada pav's in penderghast street near paradise. They may not taste as good as the one's you get in Pune/Mumbai but pretty decent stuff for Hyderabad standards.
I have tasted the vada pav and Kachi Dabeli also several times from that outlet. It wasnt great shake. Compared to that Amboli Ghat one was better. But, the real deal is in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
P.S: you can't seem to hold yourself from posing and smiling with your WA !!
Oh Yeah ! Classic case of the beauty and beast (me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
So did you manage to visit the Sea Horse Resort on the Baga beach? If so please do share the experience, will help me since I am scheduled to visit Goa in the second week of March. How's the climate in Goa now?
I tried for that deal in Sea Horse Resort via. Dealsandyou.com but, I was bluntly told they were full for next 2 weeks. First time, I took the risk of just landing up in goa without booking anything and it turned out that it was season time ( it seems every month is a season these days) as Goa was jam-packed

Visited my regular places like Osbourne and Molly Malone and were given a ridiculous quotes of Rs.3000 and Rs.2500 per night so went to another small place that I know which is right on Baga Beach called Zinho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! Congratulations on the lovely trip.
Even I am quite fond of Goa and always want to go their on my own vehicle but the distance from my place to Goa is a big problem. Hopefully someday...
Rachit, when there is a will there is a way. Last year, I drove in Cruze to Rajasthan, Delhi and went up to Nainital too

Continuation..........

Post that 20-minute vada pav break, we were eager to hit the road and reach goa at the earliest. As always, it is super fun to drive through the twisties of Amboli ghat but, it was not as gruelling as the ghat section of Nainital which was a complete 50kms or more.

We crossed Sawantwadi and just before the check-post encountered bad roads due to road widening and bridge construction, this slowed us down considerably as for almost 8-10kms the roads were so bad, I was in 1st and 2nd gear most of the time.

Crossed that and were promptly stopped at checkpost which was also unusual as they normal stop you while exiting Goa state and not when you enter. They just asked us to roll down all windows and the cop peered in and asked any big amount of cash that we were carrying.

I told him, "sirji, its a rented car and plan to enjoy our vacation in Rs.500".....He just grinned and waved us on

Post that the roads are quite glorious expect that traffic these days is higher than normal. We spotted a lovely looking vintage car. No clue what model or brand this car. Anyone knows?

Finally, reached Baga area by 5:30pm or so and spent a quick half hour looking for a hotel and decided on Zinho's as others were quoting high rates. Zinho's is a small hotel in lane of Tito's and Mambo's and is 100 meters away from the beach.

Their AC rooms were small but, very clean and had a cute verandah overlooking the street. They quoted Rs.2000, quickly brought it down to Rs.1500/night and paid up for 4 nights rightaway.

We quickly took a shower and headed out at 7pm to Brittos........
Attached Thumbnails
CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0504.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0507.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0510.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0515.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0516.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0518.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0525.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0630.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0633.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th March 2012 at 16:33.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 17:39   #11
BHPian

An amazing photologue.
This thread so tempts me to drive to goa right away, although i have never driven the whole way alone.

Along with the scenic, do let us know how the "WA" was through out the journey
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 17:47   #12
Team-BHP Support

Brittos was a short walk from our hotel. Maybe about a km at the maximum. After the shower, we both were quite refereshed and looked forward to a calm, chilled out and hopefully serene evening

We sat just for an hour or so in Brittos and decided to move backside towards the shacks closer to the water as it was noisy and loud music playing inside.

Brittos as usual lives up to its quality of food but, also is exorbitant in its rates.

Here is a comparison of same dish and just by the looks of it you can make out Brittos Fish Fingers were better than Fisherman's Nook where we had settled down for rest of the evening with water lapping on our feet

Brittos Fish Fingers

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0669.jpg

Fisherman's Nook Fish Fingers

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0565.jpg

A typical shack menu card with everything under the sun available in it. Even the pricing of dishes from one shack to another shack will be almost identical

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0549.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Oh! Is there one? I never knew there was a bypass. Would have taken that as passing through the city and in front of Gol Gumaaz was a nightmare as almost a km of road is dug up and had to precariously weave through that bad stretch.How to take that bypass?

The bypass is about half a km before entering Bijapur town. This looks like a typical village crossroad with tea and snack shops on either side of the road.

On our onward journey we stopped at this crossroad and had tea, but could never figure out that this might be the bypass and we did this mistake of entering Bijapur town. Thereafter it was a pain to cross the town and reach the required road.

While returning we stuck to the highway and we reached the crossing without having to cross the town.

From the crossroad you need to take the left to proceed further and go beyond Bijapur while travelling from Jewargi.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th March 2012 at 03:45. Reason: fixed quote tag
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 18:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Baga beach is known for its high tide and its really a phenomenal sight to see and experience it in person.

Initially, we sat very close to the water and from 8pm till 10pm, we must have moved back atleast 4 times and water was rapidly gaining up on us but, the general feeling of sitting on the sand with your feet dangling in salt water and hearing those gentle waves lapping around you is an incomparable feeling.

We sipped on our mocktails and just sunk into our chairs and were taking in the view around us.

It was what you call "A moment of bliss"
Attached Thumbnails
CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0545.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0540.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0542.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0538.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0547.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0546.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0548.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0563.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0555.jpg  

CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!-img_0559.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 18:27   #15
BHPian

Hmmmm.... White Annihilator on the PROWL. WA has at last done the Goa Ritual. Thanks for the detailed route plan Avi Bhai, I plan to do Goa soon. Keeping Fingers Crossed and hope my plan works out this time atleast.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote