Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th April 2013, 18:01   #46
BHPian

Default Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Again, thanks for all the appreciation and making me re-live this wonderful travel!
It is we, who must thank you ADC for making us live in Leh-Zanskar. I lived through this log of yours when I was a non-member. After becoming a member recently and starting off with your cycling trip, dug this up again to thank you and appreciate whole-heartedly . This is a fantastic trip and I wish to do such trip in future. But I am afraid about what the future holds for me.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 11:19   #47
BHPian

Default Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]

Amazing Travelogue.

Definitely want to do the Chadar Trek ASAP, as it going to be extinct soon.

Logged onto the Indiahikes site and found this.
Quote:
Chadar is no doubt a great trek to do. But the trek is now being controlled by a mafia, led by ALTOA (All Ladakh Tour Operators Association). Members and associate members of ALTOA decide which local operator will run the trek, how many people must trek in a group, who the transporters will be, and also demand to be paid a regular sum of money in various forms. They neither promise the safety standards of Indiahikes, or any of our service standards.

When Indiahikes refused to be a part of such arm twisting, ALTOA members resorted to violence and hooliganism. Read more about it here.

Indiahikes was instrumental in bringing Chadar to the forefront of the trekking map in India. It is with great regret we announce that we will not run Chadar trek this year. We did not wish to work with cartels or hooligans.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 11:59   #48
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Amazing Travelogue.

Definitely want to do the Chadar Trek ASAP, as it going to be extinct soon.

Logged onto the Indiahikes site and found this.
You may chose Trek The Himalayas or Altitude Adventures as your trek agency.

I zeroed onto Altitude Adventures when I had planned for Chadar in 2015, however as luck would have had it, the Chadar Trek was cancelled for 2015 due to major landslide blocking part of the river.

Since I already had confirmed bookings, I opted for an alternative trek from Lamayuru to Konski La. The trek was rewarding and we walked over Chadar for almost 2-2.5 days which was fun, while the other days we did some ascents, some descents, we also walked through a gorge and through the moonlands. It was quite an experience.

Here's the link of my travelogue: Link (Where eagles dare: A winter sojourn to Ladakh!)
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 12:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
You may chose Trek The Himalayas or Altitude Adventures as your trek agency.

I zeroed onto Altitude Adventures when I had planned for Chadar in 2015, however as luck would have had it, the Chadar Trek was cancelled for 2015 due to major landslide blocking part of the river.

Here's the link of my travelogue: Link (Where eagles dare: A winter sojourn to Ladakh!)
Yes, I had read your brilliant travelogue as well.

Do you think the concerns raised by IndiaHikes regarding safety is well founded?
Are you planning for the Chadar Trek this year, since you couldn't do it last year?
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 13:29   #50
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Yes, I had read your brilliant travelogue as well.

Do you think the concerns raised by IndiaHikes regarding safety is well founded?
Are you planning for the Chadar Trek this year, since you couldn't do it last year?
While I was there, I did not feel any safety issue. Abdul Qayoom of Altitude Adventures is a local Leh resident so his agency would be the least affected IMO. If at all the ALTOA creates trouble for trek agencies, it will only affect the agencies not based in Ladakh like India Hikes. The Mafia would take such a step only to protect the interests of their local people.

Same happened with the Ladakh Taxi Mafia over the last two years, the taxi mafia created lot of nuisance against self-drive rentals as these rentals were affecting the taxi operator's business.

I would say go ahead with your plan, but preferably select a local trek agency.

I won't be doing Chadar because more or less the experience I had was no different than Chadar, plus we got to scale the Prinkiti La and see wonderful small hamlets in the Zanskar Valley with short hikes. Moreover, I have some other plans during Jan-Feb this year so it won't be possible for me to spare time and money for Chadar Trek.

However I would love to do Stok Kangri, its too early to comment but if everything goes well then I might plan for Stok Kangri in 2016 itself.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote