Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st February 2013, 16:23   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Humbly & Totally Tadoba-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Call the Chandrapur numbers and they would help you or else call the HO at Nagpur.The lodges have just open in January,so if you go now you should be able to stay in them in relatively "new" conditions.I do not know of anybody who has stayed there.
Thanks Again. I googled it and came up with following news item in TOI :

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...a-fdcm-moharli

The booking can be done through the regular MTDC website and right now it is showing 5 vacant rooms for 23-25 Feb weekend. However, the similar eco huts in Moharli region are showing booked . Rates of Koleru : 700/- for huts, 3500/- for dorm.
saaicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 22:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Again. I googled it and came up with following news item in TOI :

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...a-fdcm-moharli

The booking can be done through the regular MTDC website and right now it is showing 5 vacant rooms for 23-25 Feb weekend. However, the similar eco huts in Moharli region are showing booked . Rates of Koleru : 700/- for huts, 3500/- for dorm.

Thanks Guys. I have booked the Kolara FDCM huts between 27th-29th Mar for TATR. I would be travelling with 2 kids and wifey in beloved Cruze, the tentative plan is like -

26th March @ 0500 - Start from Pune-Aurangabad-Sindkhedraja-Lonar
26th March @ 1600 - Site seeing at Lonar and overnight stay at Mehkar
27th March @ 0500 - Start from Mehkar to Nagpur (5.5 hrs).
27th March @ 1500 - TATR Kolara until 29th

I need a help from you all gurus on -

1. finding better route to TATR from Mehkar
2. any permit/entry fees needs booking in advance and how?
3. As the booking is with forest department, whom should I book the 2-3 safaris planned (gypsi etc)? Can this be left to time after reaching or recommended to be done beforehand?
4. Alternate route on return journey to Pune
5. Any experience of FDCM huts @ Kolara. I expect safety and basic cleanliness and can compromise food and service aspects to an extent. Pls suggest

Many Thanks

Last edited by sanstorm : 24th February 2013 at 22:33. Reason: minor edit
sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 16:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sanstorm;3049587]

26th March @ 0500 - Start from Pune-Aurangabad-Sindkhedraja-Lonar
26th March @ 1600 - Site seeing at Lonar and overnight stay at Mehkar
27th March @ 0500 - Start from Mehkar to Nagpur (5.5 hrs).
27th March @ 1500 - TATR Kolara until 29th

I need a help from you all gurus on -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
1. finding better route to TATR from Mehkar
IMO,from Mehkar you can take the Mehkar-Darwaha-Yavat-Karanji-Wani-Warora-Chimur-Kolara route.

Quote:
You can do them after reaching there.You can ask your gypsy guy to do all that.

Quote:
3. As the booking is with forest department, whom should I book the 2-3 safaris planned (gypsi etc)? Can this be left to time after reaching or recommended to be done beforehand?
You can check with the FRH people,I am sure they have their reccomended jeeps.

Quote:
4. Alternate route on return journey to Pune
I would suggest you take the same route for your return as well.From Mehkar-Sindkhed Raja-Jalna-Aurangabad-Nagar-Pune
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 14:59   #49
BHPian

Hi Guys
Anyone visited Tadoba recently..how are the sightings..or is Mar too early in the season to visit ?
Post the Supreme Court ruling, has there been a reduction in the safari area ?...will it impact tiger sightings ?
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 16:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
Hi Guys
Anyone visited Tadoba recently..how are the sightings..or is Mar too early in the season to visit ?
Post the Supreme Court ruling, has there been a reduction in the safari area ?...will it impact tiger sightings ?
I know of people who went recently and TATR is overflowing with wildlife sightings.We ourselves went in February mid last year and there was plenty of opportunities to see tigers.Summer has already set in.Yes after the ruling some of the routes within the park have been closed.AFAIK two routes in the Moharli range and one route in the Kolsa or Kolara(not sure which one).It wouldnt impact sightings in any way as tiger density is very high in the park and so space comes at a premium for them.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

New Safari Timings (with immediate effect) for Tadoba Tiger Reserve:
Morning : 6 AM** to 10 AM
Afternoon: 3 PM** to 6:30 PM

** Morning entry is allowed from 6AM until 8AM, and in the afternoon you can enter the park starting 3PM until 4:30 PM. Exit times are as shown above.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:34   #52
BHPian

From Hyd, if someone is driving - which is more shorter/convenient - the Moharli gate or the Kolara gate ?
similarly, if taking a train & getting down at Chandrapur, which gate is more convenient using public transport ?
I dont think there's an online safari booking option yet at Tadoba, a la pench etc, which gate has more safaris ?
i plan to stay at the FDCM huts, i am assuming we can land up there & ask around/book for safaris ?
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 12:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Hyd, if someone is driving - which is more shorter/convenient - the Moharli gate or the Kolara gate ?
If taking the Karimnagar-Chandrapur route then Moharli.If taking the NH7,then from Wani,right turn towards Chandrapur and Moharli is approx 70-80kms.Left turn towards Warora-Chimur-Kolara is approx 80kms-85kms.Wani is equidistant from both the gates

Quote:
similarly, if taking a train & getting down at Chandrapur, which gate is more convenient using public transport ?
If taking bus,then Moharli.Kolara afaik is not serviced by public transport.

Quote:
I dont think there's an online safari booking option yet at Tadoba, a la pench etc, which gate has more safaris ?
Moharli and Kolsa gates have more safaris.Kolara is less crowded.No online booking of safaris.The Gypsy guys should be able to manage that for you.The entire jeep usually charges around 2k for a safari plus park entry charges which are nominal(around 50-100 per person and another 50 for the camera iirc)

Quote:
i plan to stay at the FDCM huts, i am assuming we can land up there & ask around/book for safaris ?
Yes you could strike a bargain with any of the upteen gypsies parked at the gate.FDCM huts have now opened at Kolara gate as well now and online reservation can be done via the MTDC website.Your hotel/hut guys might have their regular gypsies which you could make use of.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 4th March 2013 at 12:41.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:47   #54
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit for the information shared, this is really useful.

Anyone has an idea on distance between Kolara gate to the FDCM huts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 (Humbly & Totally Tadoba-ed)
i plan to stay at the FDCM huts, i am assuming we can land up there & ask around/book for safa
Paharino - Have you finalised your plans? I have booked FDCM between 27th-29th March.

PM me in case this aligns/overlaps with your travel plan.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has an idea on distance between Kolara gate to the FDCM huts?
I havent seen these huts,but from what I gather,these seem to be at the Kolara Gate itself.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 19:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm (Humbly & Totally Tadoba-ed)

Quote:
You can do them after reaching there.You can ask your gypsy guy to do all that.
Just called up FDCM resort contact to ensure the booking is there, the confirmation is affirmative. However the turn of events for me, he mentioned that the forest entry is mandatory in advance and getting there cruicial. There are only few vehicles allowed per day for Kolara gate

I have called up Chandarpur forst department office, neither clear anwers and nor having an online booking facility for forest entry. I am now puzzled, hope this is not proving setup to get duped at hand of agents.

Any help/direction will be much appreciated.
Old 18th March 2013, 19:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just called up FDCM resort contact to ensure the booking is there, the confirmation is affirmative. However the turn of events for me, he mentioned that the forest entry is mandatory in advance and getting there cruicial. There are only few vehicles allowed per day for Kolara gate
It is not just for Kolara gate which falls in the Tadoba zone,its the same for Moharli and Kolsa zones as well.IIRC each zone has a fixed number of allowed entries

Tadoba zone has 3 gates-Kolara(7 vehicles),Khutwanda(7vehicles) and Navegaon(6 vehicles)

Moharli zone has just one gate-Moharli gate.34 entries are allowed per safari from here.

Kolsa zone also has 3 gates:Pangdi(7 entries),Zari(6 entries) & Moharli(7 entries)

No online booking afaik.Advance Park entry booking can be done personally at Chandrapur.Advance booking is allowed only upto 7 days before.The best way would be to source a gypsy guy's number from the FDCM guys,or ask the guy at FDCM if they could book your entry in advance and you could transfer the money to them.

When we went,the resort guys managed everything so we did not have to bother about the entry permits.
Old 19th March 2013, 19:35   #58
BHPian

Couple of updates from my weekend trip

1. Route from Hyd to Moharli gate -
Its Hyd - Adilabad - Pankhadwala - Karanji - Wani - Warora - Chandrapur - Moharli Gate
Avoid - Wani to Chandrapur direct route - its a under construction concrete road with hardly any smooth surface. Chandrapur to Warora instead is part of the under expansion Nagpur route & is 90% smooth with only diversions from one lane to the other. Watch out for a railway crossing to go from Wani to Warora & vice versa.

2. FDCM huts in Moharli- these are currently clean & cool - fans on the ceiling, double bed with a table & dressing table. Clean bathrooms as well - no direct hot water supply, but you can ask ( we didnt need it). You get towels & soap. Food needs to be pre-ordered atleast 1-2 hrs ahead in the FDCM Canteens. No set menu as such. Both veg & non veg but extremely limited options. MTDC is walking distance for food almost the same options apply. If you are used to material comforts - look away from FDCM & MTDC resorts. I am not & am perfectly OK with a Rs. 700/- per night super VFM deal.

There's a 3-4 km lake trek around the FDCM huts ( we didnt have the time to try that)

3. Safari - we didn't pre book - we just did the old fashioned "ask & pile on" method. We were just 2 of us. 1st safari cost was shared with a Nagpur couple who were staying in FDCM. 2nd safari (afternoon) was land at the gate at 2.30 pm - look for gypsies who have less than 4 people( 6 allowed) & ask. We found a family who again was willing to share - Not recommended although it worked for us. Remember -booking is for the gypsy with 6 allowed. Driver & guide have no role to play in sharing as long as the person on whose name the booking is done is fine.
Because of recent Supreme Court ruling - the safari zone is quite reduced. We had sightings in both our safaris in the Tulia lake ( 4 sister tigresses 18 months old). From Moharli you are taken to Tulia lake - Tadoba lake via the main road & couple of diversions from the main road - not more than 1-2 kms from the main road.

In general though - apart from better tiger sightings - from a wildlife population density standpoint - Pench is much more rich than Tadoba - Sambar, spotted deer, wild boar, nilgai numbers were much higher in Pench. But then there's no fixed route system in Tadoba like Pench.

Hope this helps
paharino1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 17:23   #59
BHPian

Thanks to the help from fellow TBHPians , especially Ranjit. I had a superb safari@ Tadoba 2 months back, the siting is almost guaranteed. Let the pictures talk -

Last edited by sanstorm : 1st July 2013 at 17:49. Reason: added images
Old 1st July 2013, 17:41   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the help from fellow TBHPians , especially Ranjit. I had a superb safari@ Tadoba 2 months back, the siting is almost guaranteed. Let the pictures talk -
Thanks,but cant see the pictures?Did you miss uploading them?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote