Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th March 2012, 11:53   #1
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorponok visits Bhigwan

Three days of holiday - long Holi weekend.

Scorponok and family decides to pull ourselves from urban existence and do a little bit of nature calling.

For the uninitiated, here is a brief primer on Scorponok.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...indicator.html

Place: Bhigwan, ~100Kms from Pune, Hadapsar.
Time: Strangely early Saturday morning.

Name:  DSC00498.JPG
Views: 1359
Size:  62.1 KB

We had a bit of hesitation about Sholapur road condition since Highway expansion work is ongoing. But all apprehension were laid to rest as the road condition was beyond expectation. From Pune/Hapasar outskirts till about 30 Kms, the four laning is over and the road is tolled. Beyond that, expansion work is going on as far as we went. However inspite of diversions, the entire stretch is well tarred and does not have any pot-holed section. Traffic was pretty light. Within two hours we reached.

Or so we thought.

We wanted to reach Bhigwan and were looking at Nokia OVI maps for guidance. OVI had some other Bhigwan marked on its map and we overshot the real Bhigwan town and went beyond by 18 odd kilometers. Initially we were suspicious that something was wrong but then wherever we stopped seemed to be a nice place to just walk over to the fields.

Name:  DSC00501.JPG
Views: 1286
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  DSC00508.JPG
Views: 1303
Size:  125.1 KB

Have a look at the map which shows where we wanted to go initially and where we actually landed up.

Scorponok visits Bhigwan-bhigwan-map.png

Here is a screenshot from Picasa showing exactly where we took this photo, thanks to the GPS information embedded picture feature of the camera.

Scorponok visits Bhigwan-bhigwan-screenshot.png

Kalevadi village was a nice little sugarcane producing hamlet with friendly people. We chatted for a while and they guided us to the fields, next to the lake.

Name:  DSC00515.JPG
Views: 1273
Size:  185.6 KB

It was just sunrise and temperature was 12degC. The lake was waking up, under a faint mist. Fishermen were already there.

Name:  DSC00524.JPG
Views: 1260
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  DSC00525.JPG
Views: 1221
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  DSC00526.JPG
Views: 1233
Size:  53.6 KB

We left the car and started walking around the banks of the lake and towards the fields of yonder.

Name:  DSC00567.JPG
Views: 1271
Size:  183.0 KB

Birds galore. We are not bird experts, not even amateurs. We had little idea which species we are spotting. To be honest, we came back home, googled and found out the names. Subrat Seet's thread came in real handy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...my-lenses.html (Bhigwan The Bharatpur of Maharashtra through my lenses)

Name:  DSC00519.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  115.7 KB
Grey Heron
Name:  DSC00520.JPG
Views: 1203
Size:  134.8 KB
Large Egret
Name:  DSC00548.JPG
Views: 1166
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  DSC00550.JPG
Views: 1163
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  DSC00557.JPG
Views: 1156
Size:  112.4 KB
Black headed White Ibis

We found this well which was flooded by the lake. During summer when the lake dries up considerably, this well might well be the source of water to the farms around.

Name:  DSC00564.JPG
Views: 1160
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  DSC00581.JPG
Views: 1181
Size:  164.8 KB
The state of our shoes. Loving it.

Name:  DSC00592.JPG
Views: 1182
Size:  214.0 KB
Son decides to take a breather.

Name:  DSC00589.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  215.6 KB

Name:  DSC00594.JPG
Views: 1121
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  DSC00595.JPG
Views: 1116
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  DSC00596.JPG
Views: 1133
Size:  108.9 KB
Black Ibis?

Name:  DSC00598.JPG
Views: 1116
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  DSC00602.JPG
Views: 1163
Size:  210.8 KB

The rest in the next post.

Last edited by dot : 11th March 2012 at 11:55.
dot is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 18:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scorponok visits Bhigwan

@dot - So Bhigwan is the place for bird watching? Sorry for this ignorant question.

So you have got a GPS enabled camera? That is interesting concept, was not aware of any such thing existing.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 20:01   #3
BHPian

What phone is this ? with the GPS enabled camera ? I can look at buying it to replace my 3 yr old windows mobile.
this place is nice. Wouldnt it get hotter during the summers ? else i can plan to take the kids there for a short haul trip ?
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 22:50   #4
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
So you have got a GPS enabled camera? That is interesting concept, was not aware of any such thing existing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
What phone is this ? with the GPS enabled camera ?
Strange, of all things, the two questions are about the enabling instrument. Yeah, the camera has a GPS feature. But I didnt buy it for this attribute only.
-----------------------------------------------------

Concluding the story.

Name:  DSC00600.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  157.6 KB
We walked along as mush as we wished and as far as our legs could take us.

Name:  DSC00608.JPG
Views: 920
Size:  207.2 KB
With frequent rests though.

Name:  DSC00613.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  138.5 KB
A gaggle of birds.

Name:  DSC00619.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  161.6 KB
A colony of Asian Openbill Storks

Name:  DSC00620.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  58.2 KB
Flyaway Peter, Flyaway Paul.

Name:  DSC00624.JPG
Views: 936
Size:  171.1 KB
Couple of Asian Openbill Storks that didnt flyaway as we approached "quietly", as much possible with a hyperactive 5 year old running around.

Name:  DSC00632.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  DSC00636.JPG
Views: 915
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  DSC00638.JPG
Views: 914
Size:  145.5 KB
Shell ducks lazying around

Name:  DSC00641.JPG
Views: 913
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  DSC00642.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  206.1 KB
Four of different species together...

Name:  DSC00646.JPG
Views: 898
Size:  137.9 KB
Heron decides to wade off soon.

Name:  DSC00648.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  DSC00651.JPG
Views: 893
Size:  112.2 KB
Who is this guy?

Name:  DSC00652.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  DSC00655.JPG
Views: 881
Size:  131.7 KB
It was time to come back. Driving through narrow mud tracks was also fun.

On the way back we stopped for breakfast and was back in Pune within two hours. Traffic till outskirts was low. It was a nice day on the great outdoors.

Hope you liked it.
dot is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Strange, of all things, the two questions are about the enabling instrument.
@dot - I did ask one more question. But i think the smilie at the end of it made it appear to be not a serious question

But i have got the answer in this next post of yours. It indeed seems to be a place for bird enthusiasts. So i believe there would be a specific time of the year when this has to be visited.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 23:54   #6
BHPian

Dot,

Nice pictures!!! and thanks for the introduction to a beautiful place! Having lived in pune all my life and not having been to Bhigwan makes me feel a bit stupid for not knowing such a beautiful place existed!!!

Amitwlele and Kpbhatt, do check if your cameras have a geotagging feature, if they do, then thats what dot used when he meant that there is a GPS inbuilt.

If your phones has a GPS then this geotagging feature can be easily activated on the camera on the phone itself.
kevinephraim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 23:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ dot Amazing, for you Bhigwan = day out to look at the birds, spend time with family and for me Bhigwan = work tour to look at the paper mill, having to be away from the family.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 10:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a fantastic place for a day trip especially with the variety of birds around! I am sure your son enjoyed his day out. As you havent mentioned explicity, I presume that there were no issues with driving Scorponok around the mud tracks.
Also, how was the highway experience? Usual morons abound in these parts too?!

The second pic in your first post reminds me of a rail bridge that I used to wait for on my way back to Pune from summer vacations down south. The vast expanse of water is pleasing to the eye. Any chance there is a rail bridge near this place you visited? It looks eerily similar
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 10:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
... It was a nice day on the great outdoors.

Hope you liked it.
Yes we did. Have been wanting to go here for a while now. At what time did you start from Pune? What is the zoom range of your camera and how close were you able to get to the birds without scaring them off? Thanks for the lovely pictures. Just the place to go to once my kid finishes his exams this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
...The second pic in your first post reminds me of a rail bridge that I used to wait for on my way back to Pune from summer vacations down south. The vast expanse of water is pleasing to the eye. Any chance there is a rail bridge near this place you visited? It looks eerily similar
Yes, there is. And it is definitely worth waiting for if you are travelling by the train. You can find a few pictures of these backwaters in my travelogue's third page, taken from the train while travelling from Kerala to Pune (a trip by train) here (2011 Monsoon Trips : Romancing the rains. Postcards from the Konkan & deccan plateau).

Last edited by pjbiju : 12th March 2012 at 10:57.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 11:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hope you liked it.
Thanks, @dot for this travelogue and the nice pictures! Never knew of this place so close to Mumbai/Pune, all my life.

Quote:
Who is this guy?
It is a pond heron.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 11:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Three days of holiday - long Holi weekend.
Great Pics Dotty!!.. Thanks for sharing!!..
Quote:
the camera has a GPS feature.
Dot, beware of GPS enabled cameras. If you are not careful, they give away your location. Its fine when the location is seen in tourist spots, but IMO, its not good to see the exact location of your home or some thing like that publicly.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 12:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics there, Dotty! Sure seems like a worthy drive.

I was apprensive about the tempreatures in the day time, as that place is known to get pretty hot in the day-time. But, by the looks of it, seems to be pretty cool.

The pics do speak a thousand words for sure. Must've been a great sight to behold!
Thanks for sharing such a lovely TL.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 13:01   #13
BHPian

Hey dot i had been on the same road last Sunday and Thursday while going and coming back from Hyderabad.

A good example of landing in a good location by taking a wrong road.

Nice pics and looks like you had an amazing time!!
pushkark is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 14:14   #14
BHPian

Nice pictures.
Which camera did you use.
Roads conditions between Sholapur-Pune seems to have lot of improvement.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 21:43   #15
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
It indeed seems to be a place for bird enthusiasts. So i believe there would be a specific time of the year when this has to be visited.
Thats right. A bird enthusiast/ornithologist would have a field day at this place. Late Winter and early spring (like right now) would be a good time to visit this spot as per reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post

thanks for the introduction to a beautiful place! Having lived in pune all my life and not having been to Bhigwan makes me feel a bit stupid for not knowing such a beautiful place existed!!!
Always that happens, isnt it? The place of stay becomes the least explored point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@ dot Amazing, for you Bhigwan = day out to look at the birds, spend time with family and for me Bhigwan = work tour to look at the paper mill, having to be away from the family.
But have you visited this place?
OT: Till about a couple of months back, I was in complete oblivion that my office locality is actually a major hotspot for young people in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As you havent mentioned explicity, I presume that there were no issues with driving Scorponok around the mud tracks.
Also, how was the highway experience? Usual morons abound in these parts too?!
No bottoming out, no tyres getting stuck, no issues at all.

Highway was actually quite ok. The morons (re)appeared as soon as Pune started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Yes we did.
At what time did you start from Pune?
Thanks!
We started at 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
What is the zoom range of your camera and how close were you able to get to the birds without scaring them off?
27-810mm I think, in 4:3. Gets higher in 16:9 format to 870mm or something. We are about 20 meters from the Storks, beyond that they flew off with a nice flapping sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

It is a pond heron.
Thanks for pointing that out. Could not find the name of this grandfather like bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you are not careful, they give away your location. Its fine when the location is seen in tourist spots, but IMO, its not good to see the exact location of your home or some thing like that publicly.
Thanks for pointing that out. Will be careful when posting pics taken at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

I was apprensive about the tempreatures in the day time, as that place is known to get pretty hot in the day-time. But, by the looks of it, seems to be pretty cool.
Same here. It was interesting to note that when we started MID was showing 16C. As soon as we crossed Hadapsar, it fell to 12C and remained there till the lake. When we started back at 10:30 AM, the temperature had climbed to 28C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
Hey dot i had been on the same road last Sunday and Thursday while going and coming back from Hyderabad.
Thanks.
How is the road condition after this place? Is it all four laned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Which camera did you use.
Roads conditions between Sholapur-Pune seems to have lot of improvement.
Camera is Sony HX100V. Bought after getting recommendation from Bhpians MX6 and Ajay Satpute. And having a blast after that.

It was great to see that the Sholapur highway is being finally 4 laned. I cant wait to take a trip to Hyderabad once the 4-laning is done.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote