Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th April 2012, 19:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip

Finally, make it to Jampore in time to catch sunset and it is indeed quite sunny yet and to top it off, what a clean beach!, thought energizing etc is still in progress here but people are enjoying being at the sea more than anything else.

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.11.22_1024x768.jpg

Unfortunately, it is Low Tide and the water has receded a mile inside and quite a walk for the little man. We do walk upto certain distance but then decide to just enjoy being there and explore the sand and sediments instead of going long way upto water.

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.20.47_1024x768.jpg

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.21.13_1024x768.jpg

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.25.39_1024x768.jpg

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.25.34_1024x768.jpg

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.25.45_1024x768.jpg

The Division Line

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.25.59_1024x768.jpg

The Little Wonders

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.26.12_1024x768.jpg

The Impressions of Time and Tide

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.35.20_1024x768.jpg

Finally the time the Sun decides to bid adieu and we too soon bid good-bye to Jampore.

Powai - Saputara - Daman - Powai, 5-6 April 2012 Zipped Trip-20120406-18.44.31_1024x768.jpg

Having explored so far, even at nearly 8 PM, staying was not making any sense as I thought Mumbai was just a couple of hours down South, so why not head home instead? Just got out the E72 gmaps, re-routed from Jampore instead of Daman as I had earlier set the route. It showed up a shortcut without going all the way upto Daman and Vapi and in that darkness, headed on that route. Initially was skeptical about it but then realized the value of the map, it turned out to be exactly it showed and without loosing anywhere on the route thru that narrow village road, we went ahead with rarest of rare traffic, making us think if we were indeed on right route until we touched the IOC Pump to fill up on the way which turned out to be just before the Daman Exit towards South unlike the Entry made earlier in the day. Zoomed thru and joined NH8 all the way to Mumbai. Unfortunately, the traffic was utterly bad due to the absolutely un-caring truckwallas not giving any way to go thru and at couple of times the trucks from leftmost lane veering into the middle/center lanes unexpectedly, and this worst of the traffic continued all the way thru to Dahisar. Finally entered Dahisar and picked up meals from McD Drive-Thru at Goregaon mall, had them in the car itself outside and drove to settle down back in stilt at 11:20 PM.

Overall, quite a satisfying trip, zipping thru the places on this impromptu tour, and I love more of them just as usual.

Last edited by parsh : 9th April 2012 at 19:44.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 11:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support - Thread moved from Assembly Line to Travelogues section.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 08:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Although, totally satisfied with the trip, I felt we still had a few misses from the trip:

1. Church of Bom Jesus:
As the Daman Tourism says
"The church of Bom Jesus situated in fort area Moti Daman was completed in its present form in 1603 AD. The richly carved doorway and the highly decorated interiors together with the lofty cieling and burnishing alter invite aesthetic attention. In the early days of the Portuguese rule Bom Jesus was a parish church."

While we passed by it, it looked quite an ancient majestic archaeological structure, but being the Good Friday, the Mass Prayer was in progress and it was better not to disturb the mass there in anyway for the Holy ceremony. So this one remains MUST for the next trip.

2. Mirasol Lake Garden (Kadaiya): As Daman Tourism says "The Mirasol lake garden situated at near village Kadaiya, Nani Daman. The lake garden is wholly man-made wonder with a variety of cuisine, the restaurant excels in the panoramic view it has to offer. There is a lake surrounding the two islands connected by a bridge. Fountains and beautiful boats add to the remarkable greenary which meets the eye in every direction."

Will have to check this out next time as they say for the panoramic views, setting of lake around 2 islands etc.

Running Average:
The average got over the Mum-Saputara-Daman (as we filled up only at start in Mumbai and then while leaving from Daman), came out to 11 kpl. Seemed decent with the kind of driving had to do in the onward journey, though would have liked to see something like 12-13 kpl. As I filled her up yesterday night for Daman to Mumbai and some City drive, the average came to about 14.4 kpl. The return journey though was marred by frequent interruptions, truck jams, being at night, owing to cautious drive seems to have returned pretty good one.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 13:15. Reason: Removing naked FONT tags
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 14:05   #19
BHPian

Hi Parsh, thanks for this thread, I myself have a trip lined up for the 14-15-16-17, Plan to stop 2 Nights in Saputara! Almost confirmed Savshanti! Please let me knwo if Anado(where you stayed is better) and also wanted to know your thoughts about things to do and Visit that you didn't visit :

-Log huts before waghai at the Vansda national Park
-Gira Water Falls
-Ropeway in Saputara
-Lake and boating(although i almost knw why?)
-Stay options in Daman(i might spend a night there or Bordi)
-other places where you can halt a night along the same route that you took.
I'm looking at either starting via nasik highway returning via Gujarat highway or the reverse!

Any toher siggestiosn on how i can plan this 3 day otuing to include a new destination on the same route?

NOTE: Has to be kids friendly as we're going to be travelling with 2 new borns(4 months) & and a 4 year old!
parassoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Hi Parsh, thanks for this thread, I myself have a trip lined up for the 14-15-16-17, Plan to stop 2 Nights in Saputara! Almost confirmed Savshanti! Please let me knwo if Anado(where you stayed is better) and also wanted to know your thoughts about things to do and Visit that you didn't visit :

1. Log huts before waghai at the Vansda national Park
2. Gira Water Falls
3. Ropeway in Saputara
4. Lake and boating(although i almost knw why?)
5. Stay options in Daman(i might spend a night there or Bordi)
6. other places where you can halt a night along the same route that you took.
I'm looking at either starting via nasik highway returning via Gujarat highway or the reverse!

Any toher siggestiosn on how i can plan this 3 day otuing to include a new destination on the same route?

NOTE: Has to be kids friendly as we're going to be travelling with 2 new borns(4 months) & and a 4 year old!
Let me be frank. The weather I am not unsure of right now. Its beginning summer times. Still Mumbai is experiencing considerable chills unlike ever before. So I guess Saputara could be enjoyable better now than the summer times I visited there. Though the best time to be there will still be with some monsoon time gone by as I perceive it. But please don't take this as a deterrent if you have time now and can do it. You could very well experience it now and sometime later in/post monsoons as well. It shouldn't be too harsh for the 4 month old though.

I found Anando to be better and the complete package too was good including really sumptuous food. They are just side by side at the left side of the circle you enter from Mumbai-Nashik direction.

1,2,3. Yes you should try to do that. I could not though have plans sometime in future when I do longish trip that side.

4. Your guess is as much as mine, you can easily skip it and have it only if you have time on hand and feel like doing it when you are there. As I had said, even Powai lake looked to me like a sea comparatively, no offense to anybody.

5. Unfortunately, I did not collect any stay option information. My bad. I generally do but missed this time. But, there are some very good places in and around Nani Daman, about Devka beach, as you see I have mentioned the Hotel Dariya Darshan in Nani Daman. That road has most good looking hotels, some could be very expensive. Down South near Jampore beach you don't find such good hotels but decent ones you may be able to make do for the family with infant with you. Also, you may be able to just walk into and mostly get an accommodation.

But you must do Jampore beach and spend significant time there.

You can very well do Dahanu-Bordi on way back to Mumbai and spend a night there, catch sunset, morning times on beach. There are quite good hotels there. But the one of the best location is MTDC Resort, which is not very great on food on acco but easily manageable. We had our small brat when we did that.

6. Can't suggest anything else and don't see any other good point of stop other than above too right now.

Either ways via Nashik or Daman should be good depending upon what is your mood for first stop. I am not sure of the situation with Nashik flyover now which literally takes you all the way from one end to another on way to Saputara without having to see Nashik at all. So if you are doing it on weekday and the flyover is still not opened (if there was any news of its opening, I must be ancient), then you are better off through Nashik as early in morning as possible. If the flyover is open, you will just zoom through it.

Last edited by parsh : 2nd February 2013 at 12:11.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 15:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Paras, just remembered, you may also want to check Palghar on Daman-Bordi-Palghar-Mumbai route. Its one of the exquisite locations on this stretch and may turn out to your likings. Suggest check out some info and snaps of this place on net to get an idea and if it appeals to you, make a stop there.
Old 4th February 2013, 13:56   #22
BHPian

Thanks Parsh, We've been to Palghar many years back, and I think apart from the beach there is not much to see! I've spent quite a childhood vacations in Bordi (My relatives had a bungalow by the Beach road), and its kind of Nostalgic! Even if I halt at Daman, I plan on making a detour to Bordi for a meal and some time at the beach/Chikoo orchards!

Will still try to check The snaps on Palghar on the net! Any specific place you might want to suggest?
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 08:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Oh, if you have already experienced Palghar, then there is no sense to do that again as such. Then Bordi beach is something to go for. I have been frequenting there since the time it used to be a virgin beach and so much more pleasant place.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:07   #24
BHPian

Any good staying/eating places in Bordi?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 09:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few on the beach and on the road besides the beach. But as said earlier, we like the location of MTDC inspite of its not so highly good (but we find doable with family) acco and food, which is right in middle of beach and opens directly on the beach. There are other better looking resorts there which one can look up on Tripadvisor too.
Old 5th February 2013, 12:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Any good staying/eating places in Bordi?
More than a few places to eat:
Chikooland - for multi-cuisine Indian fare
Anand Resort for Gujarati Thali
Goolkhush resort for All cuisines(Chinese too and Non-veg by a Parsi Family. ok but slow service
Hill Zill resort - near Zai for All cuisines/spirits (Above average with swimming pool for patrons)

Along with the MTDC restaurants(never been there) but heard standard fare!

Also there used to be a Hot n Happening joint for evenings called SHIV Bhelpuri wala who used to serve Bombay Chaat fare along with Icecreams!(Opens evenings if still there)

Stay is also available at most of the above except Shiv & Anand I guess! Also am exploring optuions at a place called Orchard resort near Gholvad(Railhead stop for Bordi).
Old 5th February 2013, 13:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Then Bordi beach is something to go for. I have been frequenting there since the time it used to be a virgin beach and so much more pleasant place.
Ah, Virgin beach indeed it was, My memories as a child are of going to te beach after Lunch and spending the entire afternoon there playing on the beach, building Sundials & castles in the Sand, and getting together a Treehouse along the "Saru" trees that line the beach & cricket matches in the evening with Local boys! Although part of Maharashtra(Last railway station on the Western Line), most people in Bordi speak fluent Gujarati!

Sadly though, Now the beach is nowhere close to what it was earlier and we can now see people openly defacating in the mornings! I remember walking from one end of the beach to the other & back(a Few kms)
in the evenings, and the scenery was like no other!

Thanks Parsh for bringing back those memories!!
Old 13th February 2013, 03:43   #28
BHPian

Finally will be leaving for this trip in all probability today early morning! Any suggestions for breakfast along the way!
Old 13th February 2013, 08:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Finally will be leaving for this trip in all probability today early morning! Any suggestions for breakfast along the way!
Paras, if it is not too late yet, you could stopover at Manas Resort on way to Nashik before Igatpuri on LHS which is known for good food.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:11   #30
BHPian

Thanks Parsh, It isn't late, We are !!! But we've left via NH8, doing breaks @Dahanu, Bordi, Silvassa/Daman, stay then Saputara on weekend! B'fast at Silver Springs!