Coming soon, trip to Helsinki by Viking Line

Sweden - Photologue-dsc_0253.jpg

Sweden - Photologue-dsc_0243.jpg
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:04   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Sweden - Photologue

The last set of pics are really cool..

I am planning on visiting Sweden late Jan 2013. How is the climate like in Jan ? I know it's going to be very cold but how much ? Is travelling advisable during that time ?

One of my agenda is to drive across Oresund bridge from Sweden to Denmark. Is it feasible ? I am pretty excited about this trip.
hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 15:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post

I am planning on visiting Sweden late Jan 2013. How is the climate like in Jan ? I know it's going to be very cold but how much ? Is travelling advisable during that time ?

One of my agenda is to drive across Oresund bridge from Sweden to Denmark. Is it feasible ? I am pretty excited about this trip.
Jan will be freezing in Sweden. Fully sub-zero temperatures. Infact, it has already reached -1 in october. Be prepared for -10 to -15 range temperatures. You will need to put multiple layers of clothing, including innters and thermals. Once you are packed, then there is no problem.
You can go on the Oresunds bridge from Malmo to Copenhagen. Cars have to pay a hefty toll charge (around 350 SEK) if I am not mistaken.

I take the train on that stretch. Speed limits in Sweden are 110 Kmph on highways but people easily do 120-125. Petrol is expensive at around 12 SEK/litre and diesel at 13 SEK (approx figures that i saw last time)

Let me know if you need any more info about Sweden.
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 18:55   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been working for a Swedish firm for the last twenty years. I get to visit Sweden, Stockholm multiple times per year. Over the years I've managed to see quite a bit of Stockholm and it's surrounding areas. We often take customers to our HQ, in some case spouses come along too. As there is always an extensive business program, there tends to be some time for a more social and cultural part on the program as well.

Sweden is one of the most prosperous countries in the world. And it shows. Its also quite expensive for most things, compared to most European countries. Everything is extremely well organized, clean and everybody speaks English.

I would recommend going during summertime. The temperature is nice and the days are very long. Sunset isn't until 22-2300pm! Avoid (late) October/November. The weather will be miserable, grey skye, rain all day and by 1600pm it will be getting dark. Winters are cold, but Stockholm is usually not to bad. It will freeze and mostly there is snow. But the Swedes are extremely well equipped to handle snow. It doesn't impact traffic (snow tires with stubs are mandatory!!), trains still run on time and every house, office, museum, or anything with a roof for that matter has central heating. Swedes keep the thermostat high. They dress up warm when they go outside, but strip of most clothes as soon as they get indoors.

You can easitly spend a week just in Stockholm. There is just so much to see and do. A lot of it on or around the water of course.

here's some of my pictures: http://jeroendorrestein.com/Frances%...Stockholm.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 14:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Jan will be freezing in Sweden. Fully sub-zero temperatures. Infact, it has already reached -1 in october. Be prepared for -10 to -15 range temperatures. You will need to put multiple layers of clothing, including innters and thermals. Once you are packed, then there is no problem.
You can go on the Oresunds bridge from Malmo to Copenhagen. Cars have to pay a hefty toll charge (around 350 SEK) if I am not mistaken.

I take the train on that stretch. Speed limits in Sweden are 110 Kmph on highways but people easily do 120-125. Petrol is expensive at around 12 SEK/litre and diesel at 13 SEK (approx figures that i saw last time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I've been working for a Swedish firm for the last twenty years. I get to visit Sweden, Stockholm multiple times per year. Over the years I've managed to see quite a bit of Stockholm and it's surrounding areas. We often take customers to our HQ, in some case spouses come along too. As there is always an extensive business program, there tends to be some time for a more social and cultural part on the program as well.

Sweden is one of the most prosperous countries in the world. And it shows. Its also quite expensive for most things, compared to most European countries. Everything is extremely well organized, clean and everybody speaks English.

I would recommend going during summertime. The temperature is nice and the days are very long. Sunset isn't until 22-2300pm! Avoid (late) October/November. The weather will be miserable, grey skye, rain all day and by 1600pm it will be getting dark. Winters are cold, but Stockholm is usually not to bad. It will freeze and mostly there is snow. But the Swedes are extremely well equipped to handle snow. It doesn't impact traffic (snow tires with stubs are mandatory!!), trains still run on time and every house, office, museum, or anything with a roof for that matter has central heating. Swedes keep the thermostat high. They dress up warm when they go outside, but strip of most clothes as soon as they get indoors.

You can easitly spend a week just in Stockholm. There is just so much to see and do. A lot of it on or around the water of course.

here's some of my pictures: http://jeroendorrestein.com/Frances%...Stockholm.html

Jeroen
Sorry didn't see the updates, its already sub zeros for us. We had seasons first snow fall yesterday.

But if you are well shielded then there should not be any issues.

Summer for sure would be the best time as everyone suggested.
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 19:06   #22
BHPian

Smile Re: Sweden - Photologue

Thanks VineetG and Jeroen and Raghu for providing me such valuable information. My trip is still tentative but anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post

@VineetG
Wow, -15 is going to be very cold. I now know what items are a must while packing. I definitely want to drive across Oresund bridge and so I am fine with paying that toll charge. Your information on the toll charges and fuel charges will be very useful for me. Thanks much.

I have also been reaching out to my younger brother who is currently in Sweden studying at KTH university for more info. He also told me that we can take a rail pass for 'n' number of days.
For rail passes, I am looking at the below sites.
http://www.interrailnet.com/
http://www.eurail.com/

Quote:

I would recommend going during summertime. The temperature is nice and the days are very long. Sunset isn't until 22-2300pm! Avoid (late) October/November. The weather will be miserable, grey skye, rain all day and by 1600pm it will be getting dark. Winters are cold, but Stockholm is usually not to bad. It will freeze and mostly there is snow. But the Swedes are extremely well equipped to handle snow. It doesn't impact traffic (snow tires with stubs are mandatory!!), trains still run on time and every house, office, museum, or anything with a roof for that matter has central heating.

Jeroen
@Jeroen,
As you rightly said, summer is the best time but I have other travel plans in summer and I was planning on making this trip happen before that. This is the reason why I choose January.. I agree Oct / Nov will have heavy snowfall. I assume March / April will be even worse as snow will start melting and the roads will be too slippery and watery.

I saw the images in your blog and they are realy good. Below are list of places I planned on visiting once I reach Sweden.

Stockholm- Ice hotels,
Museums ,
Stockholm Archipelago,
Uppsala,
Gothenburg,
Malmö,
Kiruna / Luleå

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Sorry didn't see the updates, its already sub zeros for us. We had seasons first snow fall yesterday.

But if you are well shielded then there should not be any issues.

Summer for sure would be the best time as everyone suggested.
@Raghu

No problem at all . Thanks for letting me know. I checked weather.com and it reported a temperature of -1 C

If anytime my plans change, I will definitely root for summertime. This is also give me much needed break from HOT summer here in Hyderabad.

I will reach out to you guys if I have any more queries.
Old 26th October 2012, 19:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
the Ice hotel in Stockholm only has an ice bar. Pretty cool, literally. You drink out of glasses made of frozen water etc. There is a real ice hotel in Sweden, but the ice hotel is somewhere else;

Check the link: http://www.icehotel.com/uk/ICEBAR/

i see you'll be traveling from Denmark. Just check the Swedish tire requirements. Not sure about Denmark, but in Sweden during the winter, proper winter tires are mandatory.

I once made a nice trip; Amsterdam to Gothenberg, Sweden, via the ferry in Germany, along the coast, up towards Oslo, Norway and then onwards to Mo-i-Rana and on to cross the artic circle.

We did this with a couple of classic Alfa Romeo Spiders, top down, during the winter at -26oC.

There are lots of museums. Here are some of my favorites: An absolute must is the Wasa museum! There is also a fantastic photography museum that opened not too long ago. Near the ferry terminal, not to far from Slussen. (Just ask, everybody knows where Slussen is).

There are several palaces that you can go and see. One, can't remember which one has an authentic 18th-century theatre. Very impressive. Small but nice to see is the Nobel Museum. Its also in the middle of Gamla Stan. (Old Town). Very nice area, bit touristy, but lots to see and some good restaurants.

Enjoy, I'm sure you'll have a nice time.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 11:40   #24
BHPian

Smile Re: Sweden - Photologue

Quote:
Hi,
the Ice hotel in Stockholm only has an ice bar. Pretty cool, literally. You drink out of glasses made of frozen water etc. There is a real ice hotel in Sweden, but the ice hotel is somewhere else;

Check the link: http://www.icehotel.com/uk/ICEBAR/

i see you'll be traveling from Denmark. Just check the Swedish tire requirements. Not sure about Denmark, but in Sweden during the winter, proper winter tires are mandatory.

I once made a nice trip; Amsterdam to Gothenberg, Sweden, via the ferry in Germany, along the coast, up towards Oslo, Norway and then onwards to Mo-i-Rana and on to cross the artic circle.

We did this with a couple of classic Alfa Romeo Spiders, top down, during the winter at -26oC.

There are several palaces that you can go and see. One, can't remember which one has an authentic 18th-century theatre. Very impressive. Small but nice to see is the Nobel Museum. Its also in the middle of Gamla Stan. (Old Town). Very nice area, bit touristy, but lots to see and some good restaurants.

Enjoy, I'm sure you'll have a nice time.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen. I checked out the link you provided on the Ice hotels and they are indeed super amazing. Since I will be renting a car, I assume they will give me one that meets Swedish tire requirements.

yohoo.. -26, that's super exciting. One hell of a long drive I should say.

Wasa museum is in "Galärvarvsvägen" and I probably have to jump on a ferry to reach there. The excitement levels are filling up and I am still in the process of preparing a list of places to visit in Stockholm.

I will let you know once the list has been finalized.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great pics! Winter and spring are really awesome seasons to be in Europe. I really liked the pics for
- the cops mounted on horses. Always wondered how these horses are well groomed and so well behaved.
- the blue VW looks amazing. is it a Touareg?
- the BMW 328i looks stunning too. Would be great to rent one and drive around EU.
- the palace you visited reminded me of Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich, Germany. Only if there were some swans around
Keep it going, I am sure you will have many more pics to share!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 15:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Wasa museum is in "Galärvarvsvägen" and I probably have to jump on a ferry to reach there. The excitement levels are filling up and I am still in the process of preparing a list of places to visit in Stockholm.
You can get there by foot and or bus as well. If you're coming from the Stockholm centre it's easily reachable on foot. It really depends a bit from which direction you are coming. There's also little passenger ferry boats that can take you across the water.

Enjoy,

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote