Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st April 2012, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Default A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai

Hello Folks,

Here comes my first travelogue on the t-bhp forum.

Well, i have always been a travel bug who loves to visit places and do trips as often as possible. But until Nov 2011 never even was bothered to carry a simple P&S along with me to any of the places and was never interested as well.

It was in Nov when the shutter bug affected me and i started developing interested in photography . I wanted to do as much travel as possible into the serene jungles of south India. The home ministry was initially declining the request for a new camera and ultimately the D-Day came when the home minister felt that this request can be approved since it has been on the pipeline for a long time.

We ended up one evening to store to pick up my camera gear. I ended up picking a Nikon D3100 with a 55-300 lens. With this started my journey to places around Chennai on almost all weekends.

Here, i start off with my first visit to the Vedanthangal Bird sanctury.

For those who need some initial information about this place.

Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vedanthangal is one of the very few bird sancturies near chennai. It is around 62Kms from chennai and the route is quite simple.

It was on Feb 17th when myself and another fellow friend and shutterbug enthusiast ventured out to this place. It was infact the first time i am going to this place despite being so close to chennai.

We set the alarm for 5 AM and started @ 5:15 AM. I went to pick up my friend near valasaravakkam. We soon joined the outer ring road near Porur and hit the NH 45 highway.

We soon sailed through Porur - Outer ring road - Chengelpet - Vedanthangal.
The road condition is good all the way till the park's gate. There are enough sign boards on the highway and reaching the park would never be an issue.

The park opens at 6 AM and it is always better to get in early as the School kids crowd start coming in around 8 AM and the place gets very crowded.

We reached the park gate at 6:15. Ticket cost Rs 10 per adult and Rs 25 for the camera.

Well, it is time now for the pictures to do the talking. Remember, these are my first ever set of pictures after getting affected with the bug and i started off with the condition that none of my pics would be in Auto mode even if the pics fail to be worthy.

Painted Stork in Flight
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-stork-flight.jpg

Pond Hereon
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-pond-heron.jpg

Stork
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-flying-stork.jpg

Another stork shot
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-pond-heron-port.jpg
Silhoutte attempt
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-stork-silhoutte.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-bird-5.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-bird-15.jpg

The park has one telescope tower and 3 other viewing spots. The pathway is well concreted and maintained with sufficient rest area's and shade spots.

We soon were glued to the birds and spent couple of hours clicking away to our fullest happiness. Soon the school kids crowd starts coming in and we lose space. We decided to finish the day around 10 AM and soon started heading back home. On the way back, the traffic was quite high from the Chengelpet toll all the way till home. We stopped for breakfast at Sangeetha at Vandalur and had a tummy fill of Idli vada.

Thus ended my first trip and with the promise that i would return every weekend to some spot around chennai to click pictures and cover all the key weekend getways in chennai through my pictures.

Next up will cover, Vandalur zoo in the next set of posts.
Hope to receive the feedback from the fellow experts on the pics and the log.

Thanks,
Aravind
Attached Thumbnails
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-painted-stork-pose.jpg  

Attached Images

aravind84 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 13:40   #2
BHPian

Default Re: A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai

Continuing with the posts, Next in the list is Vandalur Zoo.

For Chennaities, there is no wildlife sanctuary that we could reach in 3-4 hours drive. If we need to be at a NP, then either we need to head to Bandipur or Masinagudi. Unfortunate we are in this aspect. Hence, for us the zoo provides the solace as the NP.

Vandalur zoo boasts of huge variety of wildlife including Giraffe, Hippo's , Wide variety of birds and of course the Tiger and white tiger. White tiger cubs are a huge attraction.

The zoo is located on the periphery of the city limits and is easily accessible. The Zoo is along the NH45 highway. The zoo offers Lion safari however this does not fascinate me much.

I soon started making regular visits to the Zoo to learn some basic photography skills. Zoo's provide the right opportunity for beginners and this is the best place to learn initial skills.

Without much to write about, i shall continue to let the pictures do the talking.

First up is some of the resident birds at the zoo.
Adjustant Stork
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-adjustant-stork.jpg
Peacock
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-peacock.jpg
Painted Stork
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-stork-focus.jpg
Painted Stork
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-stork-full-pic.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-white-feather.jpg
Brahminy Ducks
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-brahminy-duck.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-brahminy-duck-eye.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-brahminy-ducks.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-deer.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-giraffee-close-up.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-rat-snake.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-zebra.jpg

Here comes some of the Tiger pics.

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-cold-walk.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-white-tiger-swim.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-white-tiger.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-lunch-stake.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-painted-stork-beak.jpg  

aravind84 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 21:59   #3
BHPian

Default Re: A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai

@aravind84 - Nice pictures. Keep going. I had been to both Vedathangal and Vandalur with kids and my son really enjoyed the Vedathangal. Looking forward to more places and pictures from you.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 23:11   #4
BHPian

Nice pics Aravind84
Vedanthangal and Vandalur Zoo evoke old memories of Chennai. What are the other places that you have in mind in and around Chennai ?
regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Nice pics Aravind84
Vedanthangal and Vandalur Zoo evoke old memories of Chennai. What are the other places that you have in mind in and around Chennai ?
regards,
Ashok
Thanks Ashok, Some of the other places that i ventured out includes Siruvathur, Pallikaranai Marsh lands, Crocodile Park, Guindy Park , Dakshin Chithra , Muttukadu.

I shall soon be updating the threads with those set of pics and also planning for a trip to Masinagudi next week. Hoping to get some good pics .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
@aravind84 - Nice pictures. Keep going. I had been to both Vedathangal and Vandalur with kids and my son really enjoyed the Vedathangal. Looking forward to more places and pictures from you.
Thanks Chennai Indian. Ofcourse Vedanthangal is well maintained and kids always get excited. Hope we preserve it for the future generations to come
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics! For a novice shutterbug these are really commendable. I particularly liked the sunset pic and the snake peeping out. I remember visiting the deer & and snake park in Madras many years ago. Would that I could make that visit once again.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Excellent pics! For a novice shutterbug these are really commendable. I particularly liked the sunset pic and the snake peeping out. I remember visiting the deer & and snake park in Madras many years ago. Would that I could make that visit once again.
Thanks Wilful; thats really encouraging words. Yes, Chennai is lucky to have the park well within the city limits and it indeed is a wonderful place for the kids to get the hang of the forest atmosphere within the city
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:21   #8
BHPian

Aravind... excellent pictures..cannot believe these pictures were taken around Chennai. If I knew earlier, I would have definitely tagged along. Do you think next week would also be a good time to visit....or the birds would have started to migrate...
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout
Aravind... excellent pictures..cannot believe these pictures were taken around Chennai. If I knew earlier, I would have definitely tagged along. Do you think next week would also be a good time to visit....or the birds would have started to migrate...
Sure chill out we can tag along. I plan for every weekend almost . This is end of the season in vedanthangal but hope there is some birds around which are late visitors and they leave late. I planned to go today but missed it.

Next on my radar is Annamalaicheri bird sanctuary and Kairali sanctuary .
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Awesome pics machi. And nice log. I wish i too had a DSLR (which i am longing for quite some time) and join you in the trips. lets see how things will work out.

Try to list down the gears that you own. will help beginners like me.
Thamizha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:41   #11
BHPian

Some pics from my side of the Vedanthangal trip where I had accompanied Aravind
Attached Thumbnails
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5195.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5381.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5407.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5448.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5471.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5487.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5502.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5504.jpg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_5227.jpg  

arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 12:00   #12
BHPian

Nice pictures. First set looks from a zoo.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 18:13   #13
BHPian

Thanks Subrat, Yes some of them are from the zoo and some are from the bird sanctuaries.
Old 29th April 2012, 10:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Thanks Subrat, Yes some of them are from the zoo and some are from the bird sanctuaries.
Is it a good time to visit Vedathangal now, in April? Wikipedia says the best season is till March.

Try Yelagiri for a weekend drive as well, if you haven't already. Birds and monkeys were aplenty when i visited the place, last August.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is it a good time to visit Vedathangal now, in April? Wikipedia says the best season is till March.

Try Yelagiri for a weekend drive as well, if you haven't already. Birds and monkeys were aplenty when i visited the place, last August.
Yeah think Wikipidea might be right. On our last visit, we were not able to view as many variants of birds as we did when we visited sometime in Jan. There will still be the usual painted storks etc. The biggest handicap though I guess is the 55-250mm lens which I used. I think you need at least a 400mm . But for birding, as they say, no mm is enough!!!
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote