Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th May 2012, 14:44   #16
lsp
BHPian

Default Re: A weekend in Alappuzha

I did my trip with my training batchmates way back in 2003. 15 of us young souls took a day trip from Allepey to Kollam. It was a 2 bedroom boat and I think the cost was 4500/- which came out to Rs 300 per head.

Had a ball on the boat. I even managed to catch 40 winks in the mid afternoon. Most of the time we were all on the front portion of the boat which had an ample seating area. It was just 'liquid refreshments', snacks and bakar (bakwaas/nonsense talks) all day long with friends.

We did stop somewhere in between and alighted the boat to have lunch at some restaurant. One of the stretched was just water all around. No land to be seen. Sorry dont remember any names of places as it was almost 9 years ago.

Towards the end of the boat there was a plank fitted to the outer side of the boat. If you sat on that plank then your feet would be dangling in the backwaters. My fav spot. But only 2 could sit on the plank at a time.

Let me check for the pics from that era, when I used to have a Kodak KB10 camera.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 17:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well, even some of the existing boats have an upper deck and a lower deck, if that is what you call a double-decker!
There is a new service inaugurated last year. I will find out this about the current status and rates this July. Websites can not be trusted when it comes to govt services.
Romins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 19:40   #18
BHPian

Nice one again Romins. Really liked the silhoutte pic. So, July/Aug would be the ideal time to visit? Please do post more pics.

Last edited by aviorp : 26th May 2012 at 19:41.
aviorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well, even some of the existing boats have an upper deck and a lower deck, if that is what you call a double-decker!
Thanks kumar, have seen lot of double decker beauties in the backwaters. Differentiator for KSRTC is the cost, guess it is priced close to the normal KSRTC boats and the travelers can catch a good view from the deck
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 02:23   #20
BHPian

Had been to Alappuzha on my honeymoon trip! Awesome place, enjoyed every bit of it. Great food, super scenery and the chilled out house boat ride! Planning to go to god's own country soon.
Siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 09:18   #21
BHPian

Miss my hometown (Alappuzha) a lot especially in the hustle and bustle of Delhi. Had done the houseboat ride around 5 years back, it is an enthralling experience, especially the evenings when the boat is parked and you have the nature to yourself, everyone should do this at least once in a lifetime. This is a perfect trip for honeymooners, no one to disturb or nothing to get distracted except the nature.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 20:06   #22
BHPian

Did a one day houseboat in spiceroutes Ginger,Alleppey and spent a day at Kondailip resorts in Ezhupunna this weekend. Enjoyed every bit of it with intermittent showers. Particularly the food they serve in the boat is outstanding. Planning to pen a detailed travelogue with photos soon.
pisthpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Yes, please do put up a detailed travelogue here of your experience with photos.
If that would take long, it would not be bad to put up a short summary of the experience here with a couple snaps.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 18:22   #24
BHPian

Will be in Palakkad this month-end on a short vacation and plan to do a day time cruise on the backwaters. Request clarity on these:
. where should i head to - alappuzha or kumarakom?
. if its going to be alappuzha, i plan to take an early morning palakkad-alappuzha train, do the cruise and return by a night train from alappuzha to palakkad? is this do-able?
. where do i head to from alappuzha train/bus station to catch a houseboat? or is it better to arrange the houseboat before hand?
. we will be 4 adults +2 kids. What will be approx cost for a day cuise?

Thanks!
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 15:04   #25

hi there, can anyone tell if water sports are available in allepey/cochin? If yes, what activities are available and how to reserve them?
Cedia2013 is offline   Reply With Quote