Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th May 2012, 17:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Eco Escape (Kilavarai) - The road not taken from Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
This place is a great find, never heard of it before. What are the other stay options available. Seems to be a great choice clubbing with Kodai. The place already looks quite green even before the monsoon. The terrace farms, waterfalls, Avial with kerala rice .. its tempting. How long does the Kilavarai-Madurai drive take. Pls share infor on the road condition.
The roads are decent all the way except for few patches. From Madurai it should take you not more than 5 hours to Kilavarai.

As of now I don't think there are any other stay options except for a few unorganized cottages which are available in the villages, but you would need to check this out locally as I do not have contact details. A medical shop in Poondi did confirm people visit these places and stay in cottages run by people who double as guides as well.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

The lack of hush-bush like the one you find in Ooty and Kodai is tempting. Lovely narration of a very quiet and serene place. Could you share contact details so someone who would want to spend a weekend away form all the madness could book.

Was the caretaker a cook as well, how was the food? You stayed 2 nights, would the kids get bored if it was longer?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 17:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The lack of hush-bush like the one you find in Ooty and Kodai is tempting. Lovely narration of a very quiet and serene place. Could you share contact details so someone who would want to spend a weekend away form all the madness could book.

Was the caretaker a cook as well, how was the food? You stayed 2 nights, would the kids get bored if it was longer?
You could reach Navin at 9442328446 who would help you with both Eco Escape and Fairway Inn (a calm place inside Kodai town). As of now the caretaker is able to manage making tea etc. The food is brought from Kodai through their regular Pick Up Van. Once their new wellness resort "Spandan" is ready a restaurant would be present locally.

Though my son asked me once "when we are going back to Chennai" that was after he hit my daughter's tennis ball into the river and courtesy sibling fight he asked that question.

My feeling is we can always explore places like the horse track beyond Kilavarai which goes towards Top Station (Munnar), Durai was talking of a one hour forest trek which would allow us see Gaur Vellaiyan Waterfalls.

If the kids are interested in outdoor there is enough and more to explore all around. Mannavanur lake is about 45 minutes away from this place where you could go for a picnic with lunch etc. It is a lovely grassland where film shootings happen often, something similar to the "Shooting spot" in Ooty except you would have the entire place almost to yourself.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:11   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The place would always be a Vegie place, the family who owns the place are a Veg only family, hence I doubt it would change. The fishing also is being planned more as an activity rather than fish and cook type.

I think it would be a small sacrifice to go around enjoy the lovely weather, fresh unpolluted air, far cry from any other hill station which have all become worse as days progress.

The entire loop road of Kodai was full of trash like this.
Attachment 933576

With regard to the animal in snap, I was also of the same opinion as yours, a barking deer for me, especially considering these are solitary animals unlike most of their other deer cousins.
Agree to you completely, will do that small sacrifice to enjoy this beauty. BTW Barking deer is called Kezha Aaadu in Malayalam also.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Agree to you completely, will do that small sacrifice to enjoy this beauty. BTW Barking deer is called Kezha Aaadu in Malayalam also.
barking deer is called "Kezha Man" in malayalam
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 17:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys, Long Time No See

Quote:
Barking deer is called Kezha Aaadu in Malayalam also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post

Aadu (Goat) or Man (Deer)

Sorry Srikanth, I found these gentlemen together after a long time.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 18:05   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Adding my apologies to Srikanth. It is known in both the names - Kezha + Aadu (Goat) or Man (Deer).. It is common in my wifes place in Munnar, I always wonder why it is called Aadu and have asked this, not able to recollect the explanation from local experts, but it resembles Man more than Aadu

And let us not allow Kezha +Deer/Goat to hijack Srikanth's thread

Last edited by gadadhar : 1st June 2012 at 18:06.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 19:10   #23
BHPian

Srikanth,

One word " Fantastic place", a great discovery. Will be really worth to explore this calm place with a good book. Thanks Srikanth for sharing the info.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The roads are decent all the way except for few patches. From Madurai it should take you not more than 5 hours to Kilavarai.

As of now I don't think there are any other stay options except for a few unorganized cottages which are available in the villages, but you would need to check this out locally as I do not have contact details. A medical shop in Poondi did confirm people visit these places and stay in cottages run by people who double as guides as well.
Hey there folks....
I am from Kodai... nee Hyd.... been here fos as long as i remember... Talking about a place to go... well Kodai is the best bet so far.... Munnar is bettter in terms of a smaller place.... and Poondi by far is the best... away from everything...
Directions...
Kodai is 3 hours from Madurai...
Poondi is 1 1/2 hour from Kodai
Munnar is 3 hours from Madurai...
Kodai is 4 hours from coimbatore

If you folks arre looking for a place to set and going absolutely vegans... then Poondi is the place and beyond... the road leads in to the forrest dept and and if you can get permissions from the Kodai forrest Mcp.. then you can also visit Berrijam... this place has been cordoned off from the past 8 years... only permissions work.. poondi is open and there are a lot of places to trek if you want to... Poombarai town is a sight to see... the view is from Mahalaxmi temple on the top of the hill...

what more... i can go on and on... but hell i ride here all the time and nothing beats this place ... AND YES... NO TOURISTS... i can say it may have about 10% of folks who want quiet...

Yes, there is a lot of trash on the hills side... we, the school we work for, clean the place in July, aug and sept... this is one of our Social Experience and is initiated by out staff and the local forrest dept... when you cannot educate the tourist, you clean the place yourself... just that...
I do hope this info is good enough...
do buzz me if you need more info...

Kevin McLeod
kcmc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adding my apologies to Srikanth. It is known in both the names - Kezha + Aadu (Goat) or Man (Deer).. It is common in my wifes place in Munnar, I always wonder why it is called Aadu and have asked this, not able to recollect the explanation from local experts, but it resembles Man more than Aadu

And let us not allow Kezha +Deer/Goat to hijack Srikanth's thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Quote:
Trust Tbhp to have a discussion on anything that moves. No issues about hijacking the thread, as long as people get something out of it. I think the male species looks very similar to the male Nilgiri Thar especially the antlers etc. hence it being called Kela Aadu as well to Kela Maan.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmc View Post
Hey there folks....

If you folks arre looking for a place to set and going absolutely vegans... then Poondi is the place and beyond... the road leads in to the forrest dept and and if you can get permissions from the Kodai forrest Mcp.. then you can also visit Berrijam... this place has been cordoned off from the past 8 years... only permissions work.. poondi is open and there are a lot of places to trek if you want to... Poombarai town is a sight to see... the view is from Mahalaxmi temple on the top of the hill...

what more... i can go on and on... but hell i ride here all the time and nothing beats this place ... AND YES... NO TOURISTS... i can say it may have about 10% of folks who want quiet...

Yes, there is a lot of trash on the hills side... we, the school we work for, clean the place in July, aug and sept... this is one of our Social Experience and is initiated by out staff and the local forrest dept... when you cannot educate the tourist, you clean the place yourself... just that...
I do hope this info is good enough...
do buzz me if you need more info...

Kevin McLeod
Hi Kevin, you are right, the place is so peaceful and simply out of the world. We did see the views from Mahalakshmi Temple, Poomparai, but as usual like any touristy place it was littered all around.

Are you from K I S, if so you must be knowing Navin who was our host, he is an alumni of KIS.
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:49   #27

Great find srikanth. Thanks much for sharing. What attracts me most here is all the organic vegetable farming they do and how much one can learn while staying there. Wonderful!
longdriveblusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 22:13   #28
BHPian

For the route Kodai-Poombarai-mannavannur-lake and maybe beyond to Poondi
is it necessary to get Forest permission?
srinivaspai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 07:30   #29
BHPian

Looks like a great getaway, nice pictures.
Visited Berijam some 15 years back. Entry to Berijam was relatively easy decade ago. Forest department has put heavy restrictions to protect threatened species like bison, porcupines, wild boars etc. Prior permit is required to visit this area.
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote