Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th June 2012, 16:02   #1

Thumbs up “Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p

I got my brand new VW Polo 1.2p Trendline White on the 30th of May. The whole process of the purchase was smooth and easy thanks to the helpful dealership. I got all accessories from the dealership at great discounts, including a VW AVN, Leather Seat Covers, Mats and Mud flaps. I now feel the best investment was in the AVN

My first impressions of the car:
1. It felt a little smaller than the Punto we currently have
2. The drive is lighter than the Punto and comparable to my old Zen
3. A very big boot
4. Graceful stance

The Trip:
Due to my son and wife’s summer vacations I had planned to take them on a road trip to the hills. Preferred destinations being Shimla, Nainital or Mussoorie. Mussoorie was chosen due to my affinity to Dehradun and a chance to visit my Alma Matter. Mussoorie alone would have been boring for a week-long trip. Instead we made it a road trip to shake down the car.

Day 1 – Delhi to Dehradun
We started for Dehradun on the morning of 2nd of June. The early morning drive in the new car felt wonderful. We were out of Delhi and on the highway in 30 minutes. Cruising on the highway at 80 was noiseless. I was doing 110 KMPH at 3100 RPM. As god would want it, we came across a roadblock on the Highway due to an accident and had to take an alternate route. For those not familiar with the Delhi – Haridwar route, a canal from the Ganges runs almost parallel to the highway, a few kilometers off. I hit the road running on the banks of the canal to circumvent the accident. This road must have seen better days, but the suspension of the car took it all in. we hardly felt the jolts. Back on the Highway after a 10 KM run on the bumpy road and the Gods open up the skies with much awaited rain. The wipers were tested and they worked wonderfully well. The rest of the drive was pretty much uneventful except when we were stuck in a traffic jam near Dehradun to cross a tunnel. 30 minutes stationary and the AC still kept us cool in that heat.

Impressions of Day 1
1. Pleasure to drive
2. You sometimes feel the lack of power from the 3 cylinder engine
3. Need to rev higher than normal if using the reverse gear

Day 2 – Dehradun
We spent the day in Dehradun visiting places. Drover for over 60 KM that day but the drives were very comfortable. I dint wana stop.

Impressions of Day 2
1. Fun to Drive
2. Fuel economy better than expected

Day 3 – Dehradun to Mussoorie
Time to hit the hills. Drove from Dehradun to Mussoorie today. The climb was easy but I felt my lancer did a better job the last time I was here. But the polo is no slouch. Fell in love with the 3rd gear of the car in the first 15 minutes. This love grew deeper over the days. Post lunch went down to Kempty falls and back and the car behaved amazingly well on the turns. Growing confident on the turns now due to the amazing amount of grip from the tires.

Impressions of Day 3
1. The car rides well even in rain
2. The variable speed wipers are a blessing
3. 3rd gear is a life saver

Day 4 – Mussoorie to Dhanaulti
We were to drive to Dhanaulti today. Uneventful drive, very pleasurable. The car has perfect balance on the turns. Slight roll on high speed turns.

Impressions of Day 4
1. Good mileage in the hills, better than expected
2. Seats are very comfortable

Day 5 – Dhanaulti to ?????
The day of pain, the only day of the trip that I had not planned. It was supposed to be let’s see where we end up. Not to be tried if you have a 4 year old on the back seat. The original plan was to Visit Tehri Dam and have a layover in New Tehri. Feedback from the locals coaxed me to drive on and what a bad decision that was. I loved the drive, hit a Altitude of 2500+ meter above sea level and came back down to 600 meters in one day. Wife and kid got motion sickness on the long 150 km trip to Shipuri where we finally ended up staying in tents on the banks of River Ganges. I forgot about the heat and the mosquitoes and we ended up having a sleepless night. If looks could kill my wife would have been a murderer.

Impressions of Day 5
1. Wife and kid down with motion sickness and I am in love with the way it handles
2. I think the car was my savior today
3. Never got tired in the hills

Day 6 – Shivpuri to Haridwar
We left Shivpuri and the hills immediately after breakfast. Felt at home when we got back into the car. Checked in a hotel in Haridwar. All we then did was sleep.

Impressions of Day 6
1. Nothing much to report

Day 7 – Haridwar to Delhi
Started at around 9 AM and reached Delhi by 4 PM. Heavy traffic on the way home but the car was fun to drive. Gave power when asked, smooth otherwise.

Impressions
1. A good buy
2. Value for money at INR 505,000 on road
3. The whole trip the car did not bottom out even once. The road was very bad around Tehri due to Land and Rock slides
4. Overall Mileage of around 14 KMPL
saurabh.redhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 16:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: “Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p

Nice report of the trip , BTW congratulations ( a little late though ) for your latest acquisition.

Do post more details like, FE figures along with ODO reading of the trip, with lots of pictures. Waiting for them.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead with her, drive safe.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 11th June 2012 at 16:18.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 16:19   #3
BHPian

Default Re: “Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p

Congratulations Saurabh on buying one of the best looking hatchbacks.

Nice write-up but pictures are missing. Please add some pictures to do justice to your travelogue.
mukeshgoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 17:03   #4

Thank you for your comments on my first post. Dont have any odo pics but will add a few from the trip.
saurabh.redhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 18:15   #5

Only had a couple of pics with the Car in it.

Also sending a few scenic pics.

My son and the car, he keeps calling it an Alto

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-maulik-polo-close.jpg

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-maulik-polo.jpg

Kempty Falls Mussoorie

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-kempty.jpg

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-kempty.jpg

Dhanaulti

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-dhanaulti-1.jpg

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-dhanaulti-paranoma.jpg

Tehri Dam

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-tehri-dam-top.jpg

“Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p-tehri-paranoma.jpg

Better pics next trip. Will also click some interior pics. Love my AVN with the VW logo.
saurabh.redhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 21:37   #6
BHPian

Nice Travelogue Saurabh - crisp & to the point. Though we'd have loved more pictures. All the same , it was delightful to go through your account - brought back a rush of memories. Keep up the good work !

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 31st January 2013 at 21:39.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 12:39   #7

Hi Guys, a friend of mine had a bad experience when he was returning from Mussoorie to Delhi. Thought if people have been through the same experience in the recent time it would be good to share.
He was with his girlfriend returning in the afternoon a few weeks May 2013 ago from Mussoorie through the Meerut route. Soon after Haridwar when you hit the bad patch of the route he was signaled by a biker to stop the car.
My friend pulled over and this guy came up and starting asking both their names and telling he had signaled him to stop but he dint stop. Basically he was pretending to be a cop and acting like he was investigating if the girl was safe. But for sure his rude behavior made clear indication that he wanted money before letting them go.
Since the couple dint want any trouble they paid him Rs. 3000 and left the scene.
These guys know that a couple is vulnerable so they try to bully and take money. It is hard to speed away in such bad roads so be prepared to go through the same when you visit Mussoorie.
I am informed because of traffic it takes 7 hours to complete the trip one way, though the distance is less.
And I hear rishikesh is even worst in terms of crime on outsiders – single couple.
sandeepsankhla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 05:39   #8

Smile Re: “Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Dhanaulti - Haridwar - Delhi” in a VW Polo 1.2p

I would like to humbly disagree. The Delhi - Dehradun - Mussorie route is not so unsafe. I have been down that road a million times on a Bajaj Chetak to a Endeavor. Few things to note, though:

1. Stretches from Roorkee t0 Muzaffar Nagar becomes pretty lone from 12 - 4 AM
2. Do not stop, for anyone, any biker waving - unless it's a uniformed personnel
3. In case of emergency stop at any checkpost

The road is bad in many patches, and no denying to that fact. But it is a good drive nonethless.
nitro_pandit is offline   Reply With Quote