Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th June 2012, 19:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
if you really screw up white balance by any chance, just convert the image into B&W and say that you were in an artistic mood :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
@ Mayank: I don't know what lenses you have.

Btw, the forest guard who went down and took photos - where was this i.e. which area? Near #2 Tanka?
I have 15 year old 28-300 Tamron lenses. My guess is there is a slight fungus formation inside and that might be another reason for image quality. Definitely next purchase is zoom lenses. Might buy in my next US visit, not sure if there is major price difference between here and in US. Yes this was near water tank number 2, on the same place where i took pictures of 4 tigers first near the water body and then on the pathway when they were walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I also should plan a trip and get to see a few live ones in wild before all of them end up in Chinese medicine shops.

If its Tadoba do check at the resort how are sightings going before taking a plunge. I would call myself fortunate as on Sunday evening it was very hot so the sightings were possible. Should have gone there earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
For better pics put a 35mm prime lens on the camera and use you legs as zoom. :-)
And in the process become their breakfast , no thanks, i am better off with zoom. Thanks for the suggestion btw. I am aware of the two lines of thoughts and believes in the photographer community, but cannot let go of the convenience of a zoom.

This one when she was marking her territory by spraying and excreting, and paparazzi going naughty.

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-tiger-1-11.jpg

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 26th June 2012 at 19:07.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 19:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I have 15 year old 28-300 Tamron lenses. My guess is there is a slight fungus formation inside and that might be another reason for image quality. Definitely next purchase is zoom lenses.
Attachment 947414
28-300mm has wonderful range. So perhaps you can take it to a service centre and see if things can be fixed. If that works, why spend so much more on buying a new lens with slightly better image quality?

If that is near Tanka#2: there was this forest guard posted there wth tons of attitude. He seemed pretty fair though, making sure everyone had his turn. He was carrying a flimsy stick. Surprised to think that it would be that guy breaking rules - he didn't seem like that type.

Btw, single person hanging around a tiger family is dangerous. These guards have just a light stick, and often have to wait alone before other people arrive. A guard got torn to pieces - literally - in one of the other parks - Bhor, I think. The family was familiar with him, but still the cubs attacked him playfully, and tore off his arms, legs etc. thinking it was some new game.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Some more Tiger Trivia:-

Tigress in taking care of her cubs maintains order among them. She is known to slap her cubs or when the order gets disturbed or challenged, and the cubs fall in line. After the kill she ensures the cubs eat in the order as dictated by her. I was surprised to read that tigers although known not to climb trees, they can actually do climb trees under great distress. There have been reported instances of tigers climbing the trees to save themselves.

There have been reported instances of tigress killing a fully grown male to protect her cubs in one strike. Whenever tigers fight the winning tiger always eats a small portion of the legs of the defeated one to declare his/her supremacy.

Although a very young female, she does have those muscles.

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-tiger-1-12.jpg

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-tiger-1-13.jpg

We were excited to see these bear claws marks when he goes up the tree to get Honey.

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-bear-claw-marks.jpg
Old 27th June 2012, 16:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Another muscular Bison
Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-biason.jpg

Bird watching
Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-bird-01.jpg

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-bird-02.jpg

Back to my favorite tigerss
Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-tiger-1-14.jpg

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-tiger-1-15.jpg

Wild Boar
Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-wild-boar.jpg

Saw wild dogs a few times, never got a clean shot.
Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-wild-dogs-01.jpg
Old 28th June 2012, 07:46   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@mayank - Super Travelogue and Nice pictures, thanks for sharing !
Being able to see these cats in the wild is one thing (you are lucky obviously!) and capturing those moments on camera from close range is another thing altogether - you've done a great job, Rating much deserved 5 stars !
Would be great if you could post the summary of distance from Bangalore, road conditions, fuel/food options on the way, hope I'm not asking for too much.

Last edited by NPV : 28th June 2012 at 07:48.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 12:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would be great if you could post the summary of distance from Bangalore, road conditions, fuel/food options on the way, hope I'm not asking for too much.
Bellandur to Tadoba is about 1080 Kms, and the roads till 20Kms before Karanji are very good. From Karanji the resort is about 120Kms and the roads are decent (i.e. no under-body scraping but cannot do high speeds, only do speeds of 60-80).

Now for the fuel stops, this gets more complicated for petrol car owners as on the highway i have noticed many pumps only store Diesels. Hence one needs to be aware of how much the car can go on full tank.

For example, my Civic on full tank can go about 500-600 Kms (Not counting the 10L reserve, with a usual average of about 12-15 (Depending how i drive). So when leaving Bangalore i ensure i start with absolutely full tank so as i do not need to refuel before HYD (HYD is ~540 Kms).

HYD-Tadoba (Or Nagpur) is another 480+Kms so starting full tank at HYD can take you to Tadoba, but in Tadoba there are no fuel stations, only at Chimur there is, so its best to do another full tank and Chimur before return. In my case i was continuing my journey towards Raipur hence refueled after i reached somewhere near Deori.

Food options, once you leave bangalore are minimal, before HYD. About 50Kms from HYD there are a few decent eat-outs on your left, and once you cross that there are none on the highway (I usually do not go inside the towns or cities). So as with fuel its best to start full tank (Stomach) from Bangalore and not need anything before HYD (We usually carry some munching for the road). Get good/decent meal at HYD, so fill up enough till you reach Tadoba.

Hope i have answered everything, others if they have more info can pitch in. I need to keep these things in mind as traveling with kids its something that needs good planning and execution.

On my return (Which we are doing this Saturday), planning to start early morning with almost empty stomach. Reach Nagpur by around breakfast time, have heavy breakfast and then continue towards HYD. As a precautionary measure we pack some idlies and Bread+Jam for the road, especially for my daughter and others.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 28th June 2012 at 12:05.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mayank,

Can you please share some details around the route taken from Tadoba to Raipur? I might do this (other way round) soon. This is what I had in mind.

Thanks...
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 01:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

That is not a snarl. This process of exposing the upper canines with the gums and extending the tongue reveals a gland that enables the Tiger to determine from the smell of urine of another tiger if it is a male or a female and during mating season tells the sniffer if the other cat is receptive and ready to mate or not.

This baring of teeth is called the Flehman's response. Not only Big Cats, other animals too are known to display this trait.

Quote:

@Sach.sri, thanks for the info on snarl. Got to know quiet a bit at the resort by reading the books there.

Last edited by gd1418 : 24th October 2012 at 01:08.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 07:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Can you please share some details around the route taken from Tadoba to Raipur?
This is the route that i took, after Deori there would be a left turn to take you to Ambgaon->Brahmapuri->Nagbhir->Tempa->Chimur.

I followed what my GPS told me to, if you are using one it would help otherwise you might want to start early and ask around while on the road.

While returning it was easier as you just had to ask for Durg/Raipur and people would tell you the way as you are going towards main NH.

Hello Tiger – Our trip to Tadoba-screen-shot-20121024-7.39.37-am.png

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 24th October 2012 at 07:47.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 12:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the route that i took, after Deori there would be a left turn to take you to Ambgaon->Brahmapuri->Nagbhir->Tempa->Chimur.
Thanks! This is what I have in mind too. How much time did you clock for this stretch?
Old 26th October 2012, 15:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! This is what I have in mind too. How much time did you clock for this stretch?
If i remember it correctly about 6 hours. We started after breakfast form the resort and were at home around lunch time (or a little later).

The Single lane road takes most of the time as even if the traffic is low its difficult to pass.
Old 21st November 2012, 06:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I might do this (other way round) soon.
Did you do the trip and spot some tigers? also are the safaris going on or have they stopped them? I believe the SC has given clearance for Jungle Safaris to continue.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you do the trip and spot some tigers? also are the safaris going on or have they stopped them? I believe the SC has given clearance for Jungle Safaris to continue.
Yes - I did the trip but unfortunately no tiger sightings from the 2 safaris we did :( I was not very hopeful anyways since this time of the year the forest is very dense and no scarcity of water to force the cats out in the open. Will plan another trip in the summers, which is the best time for sightings.

BTW - took a different route for Raipur-Tadoba via Lakhni-Adyal-Pauni. This saved me some time since I extended my drive on the 4 lane NH6 till Lakhni instead of Kohmara.