Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th July 2012, 14:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A journey through Leh & Ladakh – Barren beauty at its best

One thing that struck me on the pictures of roads which seem endless in nature and for once one can feel to be lost. There are no souls to ask for directions nor are any milestones visible. How does one ensure they one is heading in the right direction?

Does MMI work all the way through? Does it have decent coverage?

The clouds pictures look amazing, but can they turn dangerous if heavy?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 16th July 2012 at 14:48.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 17:22   #47
BHPian

Great pictures ! The safari looks great in the pcitures. Please post more details of the vehicle performance during the adventure !
raghunandanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 22:14   #48

Congrats Sourav! Thanks for the awesome write-up and breath taking pictures.
This trip has been on my mind for over 3-4 years now, however as I am from Chennai, have been pondering over it as it will be additional 4000 - 5000 kms to cover.
but now, shall definitely ensure to cover this region once in my lifetime. Thanks again !!
JanakNarang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 09:33   #49
BHPian

Beautifully narrated travelogue this.Must say its trips like this that just add to the aspirational quotient of the Safari.A trip to these places has been on my mind since quite sometime now, but somehow haven't been able to plan one of those long vacations required for such a roadtrip, being in the legal profession.

This travelogue might just add that extra bit of inspiration for me to finally make it to the places you've mentioned.But before that I must get the current gen Safari before its phased out
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 16:31   #50
BHPian

Congrats on completing your much awaited journey. It was a joy going through your travelogue. Writeup was detailed and pictures told story which could not be narrated.
austere_sly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 00:09   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
One thing that struck me on the pictures of roads which seem endless in nature and for once one can feel to be lost. There are no souls to ask for directions nor are any milestones visible. How does one ensure they one is heading in the right direction?

Does MMI work all the way through? Does it have decent coverage?

The clouds pictures look amazing, but can they turn dangerous if heavy?
Mayank - You would not get lost out there. Though some sections look endless, there are lots of milestones/sign boards all along the route. And more over, there is no place to divert, its a straight road you have to follow. Some sections of the route I took had multiple dirt tracks, and obviously no signboards. But then you would not really get lost since they all lead to the same destination finally.

I did use MMI at times, and yes it works everywhere. Its satellite based navigation so you cannot really hide from it. The one I was carrying had a pathetic battery life (max 1-2 hrs), and I was not willing to keep it on charge all the time. So it was in my bag most of the time.

Well, about the clouds, am not too sure how dangerous they can become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Great pictures ! The safari looks great in the pcitures. Please post more details of the vehicle performance during the adventure !
Raghu - Vehicle performance was awesome through out the trip, except a starting problem I faced due to the cold weather at Tso Kar. But then it got resolved within about 10-15mins. Other than that, there was the obvious lack of power while climbing steep slopes. This is quite normal at such high altitudes. The Beast otherwise performed exceptionally well and I have no complaints.

Since the time I returned, there has been a slight pulling of the car to the left. Will get the alignment checked this weeked. Otherwise, I cant hear any rattling sound, or have had any other problems (though a few squeaking sounds have emerged).

This vehicle is made for terrains like these. Buying this vehicle has been one of the best decisions I made last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Beautifully narrated travelogue this.Must say its trips like this that just add to the aspirational quotient of the Safari.A trip to these places has been on my mind since quite sometime now, but somehow haven't been able to plan one of those long vacations required for such a roadtrip, being in the legal profession.

This travelogue might just add that extra bit of inspiration for me to finally make it to the places you've mentioned.But before that I must get the current gen Safari before its phased out
Octane - Thanks for the compliments. Try to take out time for these trips, its worth it. I am a corporate lawyer myself working in Amarchand, New Delhi. For this 2 week break, I had requested my partner almost 3-4 months in advance. And I had applied for a similar leave last year also, which I obvisouly did not take. My partner knew how passionate I was about this trip, so leave had to be approved.

And yes, IMO, the current Safari is far better looking than the new Storme. And the ones being manufactured post 2010 I believe has less of all the niggling issues that the earlier Safari models had. Based on ownership reviews of 2010 model and later ones, this is my conclusion. But yes, small problems, and lack of quality do exist. But then, buying a Safari is more a choice of your heart, than your mind.

Austere - Thanks for your comments. I wanted to tell my story through pictures mostly, and thats why such huge number of pictures. These pictures say more than words.

Janak - A lot of people from across the country are driving to Ladakh. You should do it some time soon too. I have been reading that lots of tunnels, bridges, and proper roads are being laid in lots of sections. That I believe will take away some part of the adventure (whether it be driving through difficult terrains, or driving across unknown routes etc), so do it as soon as you can. I will defintely take another trip next to next year.

Rahul_sinha - About the Wari La route, we enquired at Khalsar (dhabas), at the Khalsar TCP. In August, I am sure the pass would be open and GREF should have done some road clearing work by then, so going in your Innova would not be a problem. But do check at Khalsar/Diskit about the route. Do plan your itenary such that you have a back-up route.

And yes, from Nubra to Pangong (via Leh), you can defintely do it in a day, provided you leave Diskit early morning. We left early morning, and reached Pangong early evening (with 2-2.5 hr break at Leh, and then lots of photography stops in between).
souravdebiswas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 20:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue Saurav. We (me & 4 of my friends) did this trip last year around the same time (end of Jun-11) though we did from the Manali side. Going through you trip made me relive my memories from our trip.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 20:05   #53
BHPian

Scintillating TL. Well, thanks to you, me and my friends are seriously looking at going to Leh in November beginning. Do you think it's a good time? Also, I have the option of choosing between a Gypsy 1.3 mpfi and a 1000 cc. Both are 4X4. Which one, in your opinion, should I take?
Thanks
driving always! is offline   Reply With Quote