Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th July 2012, 09:49   #16
BHPian

Default Re: A 5 day road trip to Dalhousie/Khajjiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
The one thing that saddens me and totally mars the otherwise great experience of any tourist destination is the irresponsible way many of us litter the place and expect the Govt to pick up after us, whether it's Ranthambhore or Manali.

A very long time back I did a mountaineering course in Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Uttarkashi. On every trek, it was compulsory to hang a string bag to our rucksacks in which we deposited the wrappers, empty tetra paks of things we consumed in the trek. It was then brought back to the campus and disposed of in a proper way. It was an action that ensure that we didn't litter the pristine hiking trails that we traversed. It's a small thing maybe but if everyone of us who visited a place disposed of our garbage sensibly it will go a long way in keeping such beautiful places clean.
I completely agree - I don't see how hard it is for people to simply bring along an extra plastic bag,and walk the few yards to the trash bins to deposit the trash (I'm referring to Khajjiar, but this holds true for most tourist places and even cities in India). I think people for the most part have just stopped caring - it's sort of like "I've enjoyed the place, so no point keeping it clean for others since I'm not coming back" - and it's sad that the majority of people here seem to think that way.

Of course, you and I are in the very small minority that actually think about this issue - and even notice the trash - most people are so used to trash lying around that they don't even notice it until they're told, and even then it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Case in point is a place like Benaras in UP - the amount of trash and filth there is absolutely HORRIFYING to say the least - I saw a link a few days ago that would make even the most hardened of us gape (at least those of that haven't been there, and I haven't). Not posting the link here to avoid going off-topic (plus there are some absolutely appalling pictures on the link), but let me know if your interested, and I'll send it to you.

Good job on setting the right example by doing the right thing yourself - keep it up!

Cheers

Rahul
Zenster99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
I completely agree - I don't see how hard it is for people to simply bring along an extra plastic bag,and walk the few yards to the trash bins to deposit the trash (I'm referring to Khajjiar, but this holds true for most tourist places and even cities in India). I think people for the most part have just stopped caring.
You're right. Only if we undertook just a little extra effort to keep the environment clean. Sadly most people don't even think about it and blame the others for littering while themselves doing it without a thought. There's a temple in Dehradun on top of a hill. I visit a few times a year and it's a pleasant 40-minute trek to the top. I've been going there for as long as I can remember and it hurts me each time I see the filth en route what used to be a a really beautiful & otherwise unspoiled nature trail. There are plastic wrappers, soft drink bottles, cola cans and all other types of assorted refuse. Each time I end up picking up a fair amount of wrappers and putting them in the very few dustbins that are there on the trail; sometimes end up consigning them to fire too. What irks is the TOTAL apathy of our fellow devotees/travellers/tourist towards doing a (little) bit towards maintaining the sylvan and pristine surroundings.

Quote:
Good job on setting the right example by doing the right thing yourself - keep it up!
Cheers
Rahul
Thanks!
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:47   #18
BHPian

Zenster - A quick question. What are the accommodation options like at Khajjiar ? Where did you stay ?

Thanks,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:25   #19
BHPian

^^ Just the Green Top HPTDC cottages are there.. It is really not a place to stay. Half day visit is enough and Dalhousie is nearby , with loads of Accommodation and F&B options.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Zenster - A quick question. What are the accommodation options like at Khajjiar ? Where did you stay ?

Thanks,
Yogesh.
As BUXX says, the HP tourism cottages are one option - and maybe what most people choose, as the cottages are right at the meadow. There are a couple of hotels a bit away from the meadow (around 5-7 minutes walk from the meadow) - those are private hotels. That's pretty much it, though. I suppose most people would prefer to stay at the cottages - we did - mostly due to the scenery. They were a bit overpriced in my opinion, and the service really wasn't all that great (we ended up having breakfast/lunch outside, and only dinner in the room), but they were adequate all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ Just the Green Top HPTDC cottages are there.. It is really not a place to stay. Half day visit is enough and Dalhousie is nearby , with loads of Accommodation and F&B options.
Thats what the hotel guys told us as well - that most people come for half a day, and then go on elsewhere. We had a similar plan, but we loved the beauty of the place, much more than Dalhousie, so ended up staying for TWO days, and trekked all around the area. For those interested in trekking (away from the beaten trails) I'd definitely recommend staying longer than half a day - but if that isn't a priority, then yes, half a day is probably all you need.

And your spot-on about Dalhousie - it has ALL the food and hotel options one can think of!

Cheers!
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:32   #21
BHPian

Oh and btw.. While we are on this topic of Food.
The best foodie as well as Stay option at Dalhousie has got to be the The Grand . Excellent food and ambience. Hostessing is perfect. Delhites wont feel that it is too pricey.

It is MUCH better than Kwality (another favorite at Dalhousie) - they are both owned by the same group. But food at Kwality was just too oily for us.
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Oh and btw.. While we are on this topic of Food.
The best foodie as well as Stay option at Dalhousie has got to be the The Grand . Excellent food and ambience. Hostessing is perfect. Delhites wont feel that it is too pricey.

It is MUCH better than Kwality (another favorite at Dalhousie) - they are both owned by the same group. But food at Kwality was just too oily for us.
I think Kwality is the fast food place (which sells popcorn as well) near the Tibetan market at Subhash Chowk (which is the "upper" chowk if memory serves me right) - am I correct? Just wondering!

And another good place would be the "Napoli" restaurant - near Subhash Chowk - it serves GREAT sizzlers! We didn't get the chance to try out some of their standard Indian fare (butter chicken etc), but I have a feeling most of the food there is excellent. Of course, as you said, there's NO shortage of food options in Dalhousie - so I'm sure others can ring in here and provide their own views!

Cheers

Rahul
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:40   #23
BHPian

You name it, they have it- Kwality serves a wide variety of dishes.
You are correct, Its the place near the Church in the Subhash Chowk. (near to the Tibetan mkt)