Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th August 2012, 18:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT

Wonderful pictures but expected some more to be uploaded.

Noob question - Why be so specific about the car climbing Mount Washington? Is it very difficult for a normal car to achieve it.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 18:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Wonderful pictures but expected some more to be uploaded.

Noob question - Why be so specific about the car climbing Mount Washington? Is it very difficult for a normal car to achieve it.
Hehe I am a bit choosy when it comes to taking pictures. Maybe because i get lazy post processing them.

There are many climbs in India that will put this one to shame. Its just that folks here find it quite thrilling to go up a hill on a road that has no guard rails.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 15:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

An interesting link from Redbull Rally hill climb on Mt Washington.

vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 19:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

That was simply brilliant, vasoo.
Recently i drove my colleague's stock Subaru WRX. That is one potent car!
Old 11th October 2012, 16:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default White Mountains again

So, my parents have been here for a month or so and i had been dying to take them out and show them the famous fall colors of New England. An earlier attempt at the same was abolished because the weather forecast predicted rain. I dont know whether it rained in White Mountains or not but it certainly didnt rain 3 hours down south where I was. Maybe the weather department had outsourced their job to Cherrapunji for that weekend.

Thats why when they predicted chances of rain for this weekend also, i decided to hell with it. We'll take that chance.

So, Sunday morning came and we left for Mount Washington.

Here are some pictures from that day.

Dark skies, colorful trees and a mountain separating the two.
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8508-1.jpg

One of the many parking areas where you can stop and enjoy the beauty
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8425-1.jpg

This time around, the drive to the top of the mountain was extremely boring. There was a loooong line of cars trudging up the mountain.

Ice on the rocks is proof that the temperatures do fall below zero. Not that we needed any proof of that really. It was freezing cold at 11AM too.
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8457-1.jpg

On the way down. There was hardly any parking space left.
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8474_tonemapped-1.jpg

Another view of the flaming yellow trees
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8482-1.jpg

Some more examples of the colorful scenery
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8520-1.jpg

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8525-1.jpg

And of course, had to take a picture of my red pepper
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-img_8489-1.jpg

Coming up in another ten days or so, a mad dash to Niagara Falls and back, over two days.
Stay tuned!

Cheers
Amitoj

Last edited by amitoj : 11th October 2012 at 22:59.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 02:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

We were planning to go to White Mountains on the coming weekend, but couldn't do it due to work as would have had to take at least a day off.

Looks like a great place to enjoy Fall colors
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 03:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
We were planning to go to White Mountains on the coming weekend, but couldn't do it due to work as would have had to take at least a day off.

Looks like a great place to enjoy Fall colors
Yup! And this Saturday is supposed to be nice and sunny. So, wont be a bad idea to go this weekend either.
Old 12th October 2012, 04:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yup! And this Saturday is supposed to be nice and sunny. So, wont be a bad idea to go this weekend either.
This weekend was the plan, also as per Fall amps the weekend of this whole week & the weekend of 12th is the peak for White Mountains but due to work & other commitments, wont be able to make it & the whole month looks that way :(
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 15:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This weekend was the plan, also as per Fall amps the weekend of this whole week & the weekend of 12th is the peak for White Mountains but due to work & other commitments, wont be able to make it & the whole month looks that way :(
Thats too bad.
Try and make it this weekend though. The combination of weather and fall may not come again this year. Work will still be there when you get back.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 16:49   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj

Thats too bad.
Try and make it this weekend though. The combination of weather and fall may not come again this year. Work will still be there when you get back.
Hehe, I like the way you put it, however its still 8+ hour one way journey from my place, we'll probably go somewhere close by. But yeah gotta keep this place in mind for next fall for sure

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th October 2012 at 16:51.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 19:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: This Car (also) Climbed Mount Washington and (also) Mount Mansfield, VT

Ever since I have moved here (or probably even before that) I have been told that the fall season in New England area is beautiful and in Vermont, it is the most beautiful! The first part i was able to check out last year.

So, with much anticipation and planning, a trip was carefully planned to coincide with the peak of Fall in Vermont. We used the following website so that we picked the weekend that was closest to the peak
Vermont Foliage Predictor

We were a total of 5 families that included 4 children, bringing the total to a mind numbing 15. However, we were lucky to find a 5 bedroom vacation home that was available for the weekend for roughly 1000 USD for 2 nights. Break it down among 5 families and it was a steal!

As per plan, we left from Nashua on Friday around 5PM, reached our destination around 8:30. It was dark by the time we got there so we had no idea what was in store for us next day. The scenery that greeted us the next day took our breath away. Here is the view of the backyard of the house

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-8.jpg

A customary photo of my ride, waiting to head out. No travelogue on TBHP should be without a picture of their rides

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-2.jpg

Next day we took the Toll Road to Mount Mansfield. The weather was actually gray and gloomy and not really ideal for taking pictures of Fall foliage. Tried my best with this HDR:

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-7.jpg

At the top, there is a half hour trek to the peak which we decided not to take because of the young kids. Instead we opted to go back down the hill and take a gondola to the peak. Luckily, as if to cheer me up, the clouds cleared briefly and the sun started shining through on our way down

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-5.jpg

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-6.jpg

No trip to Vermont is complete without a drive down the iconic route 100, which is one of the most scenic drives in New England. It runs from North to South (and vice versa of course!) along the length of Vermont is also famous as the Skiers Highway, since it connects a lot of major ski resorts. We saw a sign for a lake called Blueberry Lake. We couldnt find the lake but instead found some really nice foliage on the back roads of Vermont.

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-3.jpg

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-4.jpg

Parting shot of my car

This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT-vermont-fall-1.jpg

I guess i can say now that there is one less thing on my bucket list.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 20:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks very beautiful, thanks for sharing
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 22:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks very beautiful, thanks for sharing
Thanks.
Have you done the Mohawk route? I was planning to make a trip down there this weekend but later realized that I am on call this week
I will probably just come to the office campus and take a picture of the pond here.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:51   #29
BHPian

Default Re: This Car (also) Climbed Mount Washington and (also) Mount Mansfield, VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

A customary photo of my ride, waiting to head out. No travelogue on TBHP should be without a picture of their rides
Just saw your number plate. Chaloji?
I feel so great when i go abroad and meet people from back India. Gives a whole different feel to it!
Nice pictures you got there.
Cheers.
LOL_FWD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 01:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
Just saw your number plate. Chaloji?
I feel so great when i go abroad and meet people from back India. Gives a whole different feel to it!
Nice pictures you got there.
Cheers.
Thanks! And next time if you are in the Boston area, drop me a line!