Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 6th August 2012, 22:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Making the most of my Sabbatical : Enchanting Sundarbans & North Bengal in monsoo

Abheek, fantastic photos!!! Rated 5 stars.

You are making me nostalgic - been a few years since I visited my hometown. You have captured the spirit and soul of Kolkata beautifully, something that most folks from outside are not able to do (I know you had a genetic advantage lol).

Regarding moving to a hillstation - I too have dreamt of that for years now. Ideally Kumaon. Can't do it at present for obvious reasons. Still, someday...

What is making you thinking of moving out of Central India? New phase of life?

Btw, don't take panga with elephants. They can be a bit more deceptive and difficult to handle than tigers :-)

Regarding places you are looking for: what about Sikkim? Or Arunachal? All close to where you grew up.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th August 2012 at 22:37.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 01:19   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Making the most of my Sabbatical : Enchanting Sundarbans & North Bengal in monsoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Great pics again...loved the HRD on the Dooars and the Victoria pic is an amazing idea...great work!!
Thanks Neel. Everywhere you look around, you see a shot which can be converted to HDR. Out of the 20 odd GBs of landscape I shot, I think every one is a keeper and can turn into a hoarding sized HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Abheek, fantastic photos!!! Rated 5 stars.

You are making me nostalgic - been a few years since I visited my hometown. You have captured the spirit and soul of Kolkata beautifully, something that most folks from outside are not able to do (I know you had a genetic advantage lol).
Thanks buddy. There are a lot of other street shots from Kolkata which you will also enjoy. I will share them on a FB album someday. Photographing the daily colours of life was also a dream for me which has been realised to some extent in this visit.

Here are some more Kolkata street shots for you to enjoy...

Myriad of activities, early morning, Mallick Ghat

Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-mallick.jpg

Heel over head - nostalgia of the hand pulled rickshaw
Name:  heel.jpg
Views: 2866
Size:  34.4 KB

Historical flower market of Howrah, Kolkata at 6am
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-flower.jpg

Solitude - at the ferryghat
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-solitude.jpg

When the train gets delayed....
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-train.jpg
(Night shot at Howrah Station. People are waiting as the train has been delayed for long hours. This was the day I was returning back to Nagpur when the northern+eastern grids failed)

Quote:
Regarding moving to a hillstation - I too have dreamt of that for years now. Ideally Kumaon. Can't do it at present for obvious reasons. Still, someday...
I am sure that someday very soon you will follow your heart out to the Kumaon. With regards to your trip in winter, I am interested in joining you from 19th to 24th.

Quote:
What is making you thinking of moving out of Central India? New phase of life?
I have all of a sudden run out of challenges and excitement in central India. Both in my professional and my extra curricular life. Certain incidences in my life in the last year have also made me consider the option of shifting out of the city. Perhaps the most compelling reason is medical; as I am seeing a lot of lifestyle diseases creeping in my patients around 30s which were earlier unheard of. My hypothesis is that most of these are due to the stress and pollution one encounters in the cities. Another point although frivolous , is that I have run out of jungles to explore in central India and around

Quote:
Btw, don't take panga with elephants. They can be a bit more deceptive and difficult to handle than tigers :-)
I will take this statement of yours very seriously as undoubtedly you will have more experience around elephants in south India. At the same time I would like you to enumerate points regarding how one should behave around wild elephants. Are there any general rules regarding wild elephants like there are for Tigers ? How does an elephant react to a person on foot 'vs' a car 'vs' say a truck or some other heavy vehicle ? It would be great if you can help me with these questions and fill me with other trivia from your experience about elephants.

I also request others with experience of elephants to start contributing on this topic.

Quote:
Regarding places you are looking for: what about Sikkim? Or Arunachal? All close to where you grew up.
Sikkim and Arunachal do sound great. I will have to make a visit to these 2 places to see the conditions for myself before anything.

While on topic of elephants, here's presenting one of the finest shots that I could manage on this trip showing the behaviour of wild rampaging elephants in north bengal.

Wild Elephantss on a rampage through tea gardens on a misty north bengal morning
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-eles.jpg

The same shot with colours inverted also looks dramatic...
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-invert-ele.jpg

stay tuned for more.........

Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 7th August 2012 at 01:40.
abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 01:57   #18
BHPian

Hey Doctor,

Lovely set of pictures, can you please share your photography kit ? I am assembling kit for a travelogue, some suggestions would help a lot. Such threads really push me at times to venture out and start exploring the unexplored right away.

cheers,
Chaos
Old 7th August 2012, 02:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Hey Doctor,

Lovely set of pictures, can you please share your photography kit ? I am assembling kit for a travelogue, some suggestions would help a lot. Such threads really push me at times to venture out and start exploring the unexplored right away.

cheers,
Chaos
Hi revv_maniac
Travel photography kit can take many different forms. It basically depends on the length of your travel, facilities expected during the travel, etc....

In my case, since i was out in the field for more than a month I needed to have a lightweigth, inconspicuous and energy efficient system.

I carried one canon 40d body, a walk around lens was my sigma 17-70mm macro, a canon 70-300 IS usm just as a standby (for any incidental wildlife) and a waterproof 15 x point and shoot camera. I ended up photographing 70% of my trip with the portable waterproof point and shoot. And yes apart from these , I also had the workhorse 5mp camera of my nokia e5 handphone.

best regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 7th August 2012, 12:27   #20
BHPian

Very nice pictures.
I think a good photographer with an average camera would still take better pictures than an average photographer with a good camera.

The black and white pics with the elephants, maybe it is my eyes.. but they actually look so African to me!
CountDracoola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 13:33   #21
BHPian

I love your eye for photography and captioning style. Excellent pics again and nice writeup!!

Cheers,
Alston
Old 8th August 2012, 00:04   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Morning Mist is a superb capture, Also liked the Lightning Picture. But on the top list its The Teaser "TIGER" Picture, Loved it. Will stick to this Thread, awaiting for more caps.

Once again thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Old 8th August 2012, 23:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDracoola View Post
Very nice pictures.
I think a good photographer with an average camera would still take better pictures than an average photographer with a good camera.
Thank you. Surprisingly I have found that my mobile camera can be very handy at times. And the continuous technology upgrades mean that these portable cams are getting better and better. In fact I am contemplating selling half of my DSLR kit as I dont need it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I love your eye for photography and captioning style. Excellent pics again and nice writeup!!

Cheers,
Alston
Thanks Alston. A rightly captioned photograph does create a greater impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Morning Mist is a superb capture, Also liked the Lightning Picture. But on the top list its The Teaser "TIGER" Picture, Loved it. Will stick to this Thread, awaiting for more caps.

Once again thanks for sharing.

Cheers
My pleasure Joshua. More on the way.

Here's last few shots of Sundarbans:

Bengal monitor
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-monitor-lizard.jpg

Deers in rain
Name:  shot in drenching rain off a boat in sunderban.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  158.7 KB

Sajnekhali Tourist Lodge
Name:  Sajnekhali Tourist Lodge.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  140.1 KB

Now coming to today's theme : "Tea gardens of North Bengal / Dooars"

The name Duars (“Doors”) is derived from the several passes that lead from the region into the Lesser Himalayas. To the north of West Bengal stands the East Himalayas as a natural backdrop. A vast texture of dense forests teeming with wildlife, unending tea gardens, Babbling rivers, interspersed with sleepy or busy settlements, constitute the Dooars.

Not so much known to the world, the Dooars valley stretching from River Teesta on the west to River Sankosh on the east, over a span of 130 km by 40 km, forms a major part of Jalpaiguri district. The dense natural forests interwoven with lush green tea gardens are criss-crossed by Teesta, Raidak, Torsha, Jaldhaka, Kaljani and other rivers & their innumerable tributaries trotting and rolling down from the hills.

The entire region is served with a network of motor-able roads running through the deep forests and tea gardens. A railway service connects Siliguri and Cooch Behar via Alipurduar. A journey itself by rail or on road through this region gives immense delight to both the mind and the eyes. The Dooars valley is specially noted for its wildlife sanctuaries, the most notable of which are the National Park of Gorumara (75 km from Siliguri), Chapramari forests (68 km from Siliguri), the Buxa Tiger Reserve (200 km from Siliguri) and the Jaldapara Santuary (124 km from Siliguri).

Everywhere you go there is a Tea garden sitting very close to you. In the monsoons , especially early morning you are greeted to the lovely sight of low lying clouds hovering over the gardens. Here in the following few shots, I have tried to cover the beauty that presented in front of my eyes. But seriously these photographs don't do any justice to the sheer beauty of the land. Every where you see, there is an HDR waiting to be composed. Please sit back and let me take you through my mind's eye as I saw the place....

Misty Tea Gardens of Dooars
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-misty-tea-garden.jpg

Human watching Pachyderms
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-human-watching.jpg

Heavenly sight
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-tea-garden-hdr1.jpg

Tea Garden - attempted HDR and nearly getting it right
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-tea-garden-hdr2.jpg

Wild elephants on rampage in Tea Garden
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-eleee.jpg

Leopard in Tea Garden (image from google)
Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.-leopards_frequent_tea_gardens_in_noth_bengal_31933.jpg

Train line through a Tea Garden
Name:  walk in mist.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  203.4 KB

Coming up next : Wild Life , Darjeeling , Mountain shots and more.........

Shades of grey....
Name:  tin air.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  22.3 KB

Stay tuned.

Dr. A Ghosh
www.facebook.com/abheekg
Old 9th August 2012, 18:16   #24
BHPian

"Guru fatafati" In word "outstanding" I was blown away with your coverage & pics. Superb shots! The mirror of Victoria in wine glass was jaw dropping!! North bengal has always hold a special place in my heart. It makes me nostalgic and I am missing home, the rain, what else, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful travelogue. Cheers!
Old 10th August 2012, 01:43   #25
BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,

A lot of awe inspiring pictures there. To be honest, I couldn't stop myself from not reading the text, and concentrating more on the pictures! Although I have negligible knowledge of cameras and the associated details, but if you could maybe tell a bit more about the equipment used, that would be great!

And I did read your opening post with the set of questions. Must say, it is indeed noble of you to think for the sake of the precious tigers, and also for the good of the region.

Will now go back to page one and read the posts more carefully .

Cheers,
Sam

P.S. I loved the picture of Howrah bridge and Victoria Memorial from an unseen view point. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10th August 2012, 12:31   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Making the most of my Sabbatical. EDIT : Thread Closed due to plagiarism.

Moderator Note : This thread is hereby closed due to plagiarism.

It is disappointing to note that a large number of images on this thread are stolen from other sources. Not only did the thread starter fail to give any credit to the original photographers, but no clarifications were offered even when BHPians were praising those very images.

Leaving aside the opening post, over 50% of the images in the other posts have been plagiarised.

We pride ourselves on the originality of content on Team-BHP, and this episode has been greatly upsetting. Please note our board rules which clearly state that Plagiarism is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Some examples of the stolen images on this thread:

Howrah Bridge and Gathering Clouds

Article in the Hindu from July 2011.

Kumartuli - where human hands shape our Gods

This article from Oct 2010

Job Charnock Memorial
Lifted from this website.

Some other links that images have been stolen from:

Link 1

link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Link 6

Link 7

The list goes on and on.

Last edited by GTO : 10th August 2012 at 12:33.
GTO is offline   (47) Thanks
Closed Thread