Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th August 2012, 21:07   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts

BAIRAVGAD TO SARTHAL SECTOR

What was the day’s drive plan – July 25th?

Having reached Bairavgad as scheduled yesterday night, today we were targeting that we complete the loop and reach Kishtwar by nightfall. Needless to say, we were travelling on the route for the first time and were unsure of the road conditions & the time it would take. Further, we had no knowledge of any of the villages or towns en route. So target was Kishtwar, or maybe Bhaderwah before that.

You are still going with the River Chandra Bhaga?

No. Now we are in the green valley watered by the River Ravi which flows down towards the Ranjit Sagar Dam & reservoir cloe to Chamba & Pathankot.

Not going to Chamba – how come?

You do not have to go all the way to Chamba to get onto the road to Bahderwah or Doda. Just 30 kms before Chamba is the small tea-shop halt f Kothi, which is a junction where a road branches off to cross the River Ravi & goes to Bani/ Doda. Going to Chamba would have meant coming back all the way. But, as we were to discover later, it is also possible to take another road from Chamba via the Chimera Dam to reach Kyari directly, but more on that later.....

What is this new road you are taking? Is it on the map? How did you come to know of it then?

Till 10 days before the trip, I did not know about the Chamba-Doda road. I had intended to get back to Kishtwar via Chamba, Pathankot, Jammu, Udhampur back to Batote & then take the road to Kishtwar (same way we had reached Kishtwar earlier).

But then while talking to friend Ajay, he told me that there indeed was a direct road between the Chamba Valley & Doda via Bhaderwah. He also queried taxi drivers & some Govt officials he knew and they confirmed the existence of the road and that it was motorable. I was apprehensive that it would close down if it rained hard, but I need not have worried.......

I am confused – are you in Himachal or Kashmir?

Still in Himachal.

The milestone says Bhaderwah 53 kms – why do you say there is no road?

So we left the Bairavgad-Chamba road at Kothi & took the road to Bhaderwah – or what we thought was the road....

Firstly, remember that local populations are concerned with only their local economy & their local villages & towns. Do not assume that they know about the further destinations along the roads that go through their town. At most, they know the nearest large town or the place which is best connected by local taxis. You will be surprised that they may not even know the name of the next town in the wrong direction (i.e. most traffic is linear, towards the direction of the “market” town). The divorce depends when the road to the other side goes to another State, especially Kashmir where militancy has usurped normal life these last many years.

So the famous “Gramin” principle does not work.

I had a brief idea of the route – I had done quite a lot of research finding out names of places en route from various sources and the sign board that we saw at Pul-Doda 2 days ago also helped piece together the jig-saw puzzle. If you think what say is funny or strange, this is exactly the way I have driven all over India, especially difficult regions like the North East. And the Himalayan region.

If you see the map, there is a road from Chamba to Bhaderwah – you saw the sign board, right? – via Langera. When we crossed the bridge after Kothi, I ascertained with locals whether this was the “Doda Road” which I guessed – and rightly – was what this road was popularly known as.

Agent Vinod was running his MMI Navigator & said, “Kya baat hain – this road is there in MMI also??!!” We crossed Longera – which is where the fine tar road ended & the dirt track took over till we reached the ITBP check post. They told us the road ended............

What permission do you need to go on the “map” road which is “no-road” to Bhaderwah?

Sorry, there is no road from here to Bhaderwah. But you can walk if you get the permission of the ITBP office at Chamba. Eh? Walk 50 kms? But then why is there a mile stone pointing to Bhaderwah then?
Sir ji, once upon a time.....long long ago......maybe 2 decades ago, or even earlier, there used to be a road. But that road used to get snow-blockaded every winter. Then the militants started their activities in this region & the entire region became too dangerous for anyone to live in. So both the region – here is where Kashmir State also began – and the road were abandoned and the road fell into disuse. The ITBP guy said, you don’t believe me? Come, here is the road contractor’s supervisor, they are now rebuilding the road and maybe, next year it will be reopened!!!

He said, if you want to trek, go get the permission of my superior officer in Chamba and do it by all means. But for now, please turn back & return.

Good idea to stay at the ITBP check post itself or not?

What a lovely place it was! We would have loved to stay there. Apparently, this place gets snowed down during winter & they all move down to the place where we saw the warning board –“don’t go beyond this point”. The ITBP men were friendly, they made us some excellent tea. They also told us about some trekking paths in the area. They pointed up to the other side of the mountain & said that the road we should have taken goes on the other side! They also briefed us on the road that we should have taken.

How did you make this mistake? You are the Human GPS, aren’t you?

As I said, I was discovering this route & I had no prior knowledge of how this route was. I made the mistake of reconfirming that this was the Bhaderwah/ Doda road, and not asking for Bani – since I had some confusion that Bani was on a side road joining this road from Pathankot. But the funny thing was, I did have the correct route in the route plan I had prepared for this trip, just that I took a wrong turn & ended up going on the “old” road and not the “new” road to Bhaderwah!

This mistake must have cost you a lot in extra time?

You bet! That changed lots of things as you will learn soon.....

I did not see any photos of the place where you guys had lunch – where was that?

No lunch. Only breakfast at Kothi & tea at the ITBP camp beyond Langera. Where were the eating places – and when did we have the time?
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 21:38   #242
Senior - BHPian

I know this routing is all very confusing, but unfortunately the maps do not show any of the roads we travelled in, especially the Khillar-Sach Pass-Bairavgad road. I have to pull out my GPS tracks (recorded in my GPS Data Logger) to show you the route, but I have been having "technology" trouble, so please bear with me till I process, analyse & revert to you with a map based on my GPS tracks soon!
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 08:35   #243
Senior - BHPian

BAIRAVGAD TO SARTHAL SECTOR

Name:  langera.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  29.2 KB

We left at first light, so to say. It had rained the previous night & there was some slush on the road, but from Bairavgad the road is supposed to be good, and it was. Tar roads from here on.

Last year, I had made a mistake a couple of kms after Bairavgad and gone off on the wrong road, but this time it was daylight & we were more careful not to miss the sharp hairpin turn. Unlike the Pangi Valley, this CHamba Valley was green all around & the River Ravi started making its appearance. This is a well-populated region and you keep passing small villages from time to time. This region also sees snowfall during winter. The weather was cool & pleasant. We had not felt the sun all of yesterday and today looked no different.

A couple of hours later at Kothi, where the roads to Chamba & Doda branched off, we stopped to have the usual egg-omlette breakfast. As usual, no one knew about Kashmir in these parts & their cursory nods don't not inspire any confidence. For want of any reference points, I kept asking for the Doda Road and indeed, this was the road to Doda via Bhaderwah...

After crossing the River Ravi, we passed a petrol pump where I decided to top up fuel. This road is on the other side of the Valley from the Bairavgad-Kothi road and it was in excellent condition. Bhandal was the last big village, after which Langera was just one more hamlet perched on the mountain side. Road after Langera became dirt & the landscapes sublime. Reminded you of the winding roads in the Western Ghats region in Kerala & Karnataka, except that there were more coniferous trees here.

At the first check post (turned out that this was the “winter post”), there was no one, so we moved on till we reached the “summer post”, which was in a place surrounded by mountains. The road ended here. As Lalu mentioned, we are famous for reaching ends of the road! Last year, it was the Nimmu-Chilling Road where we reached the end point after which blasting of the road was still going on!

Apparently, the ITBP check post had been established because the road ahead leaves Himachal & goes into Kashmir, and till recently militant presence was high & several massacred. Peace has since returned to the region, but the road ahead which was in neglect all these decades is now being restored and some 15-20 kms of road is currently non-existent. On teh other side, the road goes from Paddari to Bhaderwah. The ITBP personnel told us that all it needs is a hop over the mountain to get to Sarthal which is on the Kothi-Bani-Bhaderwah road which exists and was recommended to us.

We had no choice but to turn back from this point......but the drive was very much worth it despite the huge loss of time this would mean for us.
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 11:57   #244

sir, may be this news clip of 2nd jul 12 could help you for planning on this route .......The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - LUDHIANA
Quote:
Tribune News Service
joie-de-vivre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 12:17   #245
BHPian

Amazing Travelogue HVK and Lalu Sir. Quite scary road videos. Would be fun and nerve wrecking as well to drive on these roads. Hope to do them one day on my safari (4wd).

Goes without saying, a five star thread.

Naman
naman07 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 12:39   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie-de-vivre View Post
sir, may be this news clip of 2nd jul 12 could help you for planning on this route .......The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - LUDHIANA
Thanks, Doc. That is an interesting news item. It is the same road that we are also talking about. Let me reproduce the news item below:

Quote:
Pending road projects mar tourism industry
Dinesh Manhotra
Tribune News Service

Jammu, July 1
Work on the 50-km Bhaderwah-Chamba road has been going on at a very slow pace and completion of this project seems to be a distant dream. Although completion of this road would boost tourism in Bhaderwah and adjoining areas, the project is delayed due to the lackadaisical attitude of the authorities.

The administration has earlier claimed that the project would be completed by the end of June. “Due to poor road connectivity tourists are not coming to Bhaderwah,” regretted Rashid Ahmed, a resident of Bhaderwah. He said on the one hand the authorities organise festivals and other events to woo tourists but adequate infrastructure is yet to be provided to attract maximum number of tourists.

Another resident of Bhaderwah, Shabir, claimed that it was only during Ghulam Nabi Azad government that sincere efforts were made to explore tourism potential of Bhaderwah but the present government in the state has done nothing to complete the projects started by Azad.

Residents of Bhaderwah have reasons to complain because most of the road projects are still incomplete. Except Puldoda-Bhaderwah road, works on a majority of other road projects are going on at very slow pace.

After a gap of more than two decades, work on the Bhaderwah-Chamba road was resumed in 2010. The authorities had claimed that the route would be opened for traffic in June. The road connects Bhaderwah in Doda district with Chamba in Himachal Pradesh. The road project has been sanctioned under the Inter-State Connectivity Programme.

“We want that work on this road should be completed as early as possible because our culture and climate resembles that of Himachal Pradesh and we feel connected to the state,” said Deepak Manhas, a resident of Bhaderwah. He is optimistic that by the end of this year the road would be opened for traffic. “Once the road is complete, tourists can be convinced to visit popular destinations in Bhaderwah and adjoining areas,” he said.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 18:24   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

After spending 1 hour with the ITBP guys, we kind of with a heavy heart thinking about the toll it is going to take on our time and a bit about the safety concerns driving in the night in this new territory we rolled on. It was 13:00 hours already.
Name:  DSC_8828.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  583.0 KB

Chamba was 90KM away, but then we need not go all the way back, thankfully
Name:  DSC_8829.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  638.7 KB

We enjoyed the sights and sped on

Name:  DSC_8833.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  387.3 KB

Name:  DSC_8838.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  486.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8840.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  445.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8843.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  486.4 KB

Name:  DSC_8847.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  488.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8849.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  473.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8850.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  403.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8854.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  470.6 KB

Name:  DSC_8852.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  385.9 KB

Name:  DSC_8861.jpg
Views: 2845
Size:  451.1 KB

We stopped near a bridge
, the bridge goes to our left, but we continue staright
Name:  DSC_8859.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  400.6 KB

We need not cross this bridge, I just took a picture while waiting for Agent Vinod
Name:  DSC_8866.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  451.6 KB

Bhalei was 8 KM from here, that's our route!
Name:  DSC_8860.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  420.0 KB

Agent Vinod and Madam Safari catches up
, it was already 15:00 hours by now!
Name:  DSC_8867.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  513.2 KB

continued...
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 18:37   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

I walked back to the Scorpio clicking some more pictures
Name:  DSC_8868.jpg
Views: 3103
Size:  470.1 KB

Name:  DSC_8869.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  543.9 KB

Name:  DSC_8871.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  620.6 KB

Clicked a picture of our legendary steeds, they deserve a click too
Name:  DSC_8870.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  436.0 KB

A sign board

Name:  DSC_8873.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  773.9 KB

A hanging bridge en route
Name:  DSC_8881.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  615.4 KB

We reached Bhalei by 15:15 hours
Name:  DSC_8885.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  570.5 KB

More sign boards
Name:  DSC_8886.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  610.0 KB

Name:  DSC_8887.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  758.1 KB

Name:  DSC_8888.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  656.7 KB

continued...

Last edited by laluks : 26th August 2012 at 18:39.
Old 26th August 2012, 18:51   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

The river was still with us
Name:  DSC_8892.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  466.8 KB

Suddenly out of nowhere a speed boat comes in

Name:  DSC_8891.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  394.5 KB

No wonder, it was Taleru Boating complex
Name:  DSC_8894.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  432.0 KB

We went through a tunnel

Name:  DSC_8895.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  73.1 KB

We were near a Dam
Name:  DSC_8896.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  522.1 KB

Name:  DSC_8898.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  493.7 KB

Name:  DSC_8900.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  744.8 KB

We saw another bridge
Name:  DSC_8902.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  424.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8904.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  597.3 KB

The bridge will take us to Dalhousie in 25 KM
Name:  DSC_8906.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  544.0 KB

Name:  DSC_8907.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  483.8 KB

But we have to go straight,
Kiyari is another 12KM
Name:  DSC_8911.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  693.9 KB

These guys were amazed at us! Probably nobody goes that way
Name:  DSC_8912.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  1,005.9 KB

Madam Safari closely following
Name:  DSC_8913.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  621.4 KB

Nice roads

Name:  DSC_8914.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  622.8 KB

continued...
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 18:58   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

We reached another Dam
Name:  DSC_8915.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  586.3 KB

We crossed a small bridge and reached a check post

Name:  DSC_8916.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  596.5 KB

We paid Rs 70/-, Hey Rs 70/- seems to be so familiar.

Is this the toll for Kashmir entry?

Hell Yes!

Without even realising it, we have already entered Jammu and Kashmir !!

The Toll ticket
Name:  DSC_8917.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  430.4 KB

Thus we have entered J&K by 16:00 hours.

continued...
Old 26th August 2012, 19:05   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

We drove on in JK roads!
Name:  DSC_8918.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  579.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8919.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  455.5 KB

After a few climbs we stopped to take a look at the Dam and where we entered JK. I was confused like hell

The pipes that carry water from the heights
Name:  DSC_8920.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  331.9 KB

The view of the settlement there

Name:  DSC_8921.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  412.8 KB

Name:  DSC_8923Edit.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  237.9 KB

Name:  DSC_8940Edit.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  DSC_8947.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  618.9 KB

Name:  DSC_8948.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  579.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8950Edit.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  151.2 KB

HVK Scorpio relaxing for a while
Name:  DSC_8962.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  291.6 KB

I found mango trees in this route with ripe mangoes. I never knew JK had Mangoes!

continued...
Old 26th August 2012, 19:23   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

NHPC maintains this roads I guess
Name:  DSC_8963.jpg
Views: 4450
Size:  683.5 KB

The roads were twisting through the mountain

Name:  DSC_8965.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  479.8 KB

Name:  DSC_8967.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  491.6 KB

There were many hairpin bends
Name:  DSC_8966.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  540.3 KB

Name:  DSC_8968.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  446.9 KB

Goats!!
Name:  DSC_8964.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  521.4 KB

A little later in one of the hairpin bends

laluks : HVK stop! Take right else...
hvkumar : What! I cannot stop on the incline, Its very steep....
laluks : If you take it straight you'll run over a goat, it's lying bang in your left tyre trajectory
hvkumar: WHAT! @##$

Scorpio jumps over like it had jumped over a hump !! HVK jams the brakes.

SILENCE in the cabin

Romin gets out.

Romin : HVK you have a huge goat under your scorpio

shephered running towards us from somewhere...

Romin : HVK, move your Scorpio a little behind
hvkumar : Is this ok?
Romin :OK

By now the shepherd pulls the goat out. Goat is scared! So are we.

Shepherd: Mere nuksaan hua..

By now Romin gets inside the Scorpio and the goat runs away to the other goats in the herd. I was watching the goat running away. I had a sigh of relief, nothing happened, the goat is safe.

hvkumar : Dikao, tera nuksan wala Bakri ...

Shepherd runs around to find the goat. The entire herd by now was scared of the black Scorpio. They had already ran away. Sheperd could not find the goat.

hvkumar : dikao, dikao tera nuksaan wala bakri..

Shepherd was speechless. Inside the Scorpio cabin, it was pin drop silence.

By now Madam Safari too arrived.

Shepherd had no arguments, he sulks. Finally lets HVK go, muttering some local words...

We move on.

Moral of the story : HVK and Goats sleeping on Hairpin bends don't go well together!!

continued...
laluks is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 19:31   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

After that eventful Goat Story we moved on!
Name:  DSC_8972.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  407.9 KB

Why you must have a National Identity Card

Name:  DSC_8974.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  451.7 KB

We move on

Name:  DSC_8975.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  434.4 KB

Name:  DSC_8977.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  493.3 KB

We saw a bus
Name:  DSC_8978.jpg
Views: 2972
Size:  410.6 KB

This is the bus between Kathua and Bani
Name:  DSC_8979.jpg
Views: 3048
Size:  466.9 KB

We drove on, roads became muddy and slushy.

Name:  DSC_8980.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  295.7 KB

Name:  DSC_8981.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  275.9 KB

The roads were getting widened...
Name:  DSC_8983.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  436.2 KB

Name:  DSC_8984.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  422.9 KB

continued...
Old 26th August 2012, 19:39   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3
25 - July - 2012

We reached Kardoh Check Post -
no one was there by the way
Name:  DSC_8986.jpg
Size:  401.0 KB

We drove on

Name:  DSC_8994.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  435.6 KB

Name:  DSC_9001.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  434.3 KB

Roads were getting widened - Definitely this is going to be one of the alternate roads to Jammu once completed
Name:  DSC_8997.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  471.6 KB

Name:  DSC_8998.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  477.1 KB

The winding roads that we have to take
Name:  DSC_9002.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  349.7 KB

Name:  DSC_9016.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  373.6 KB

Madam Safari catching up
Name:  DSC_9017.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  630.8 KB

Miles to go still
Name:  DSC_9018.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  631.9 KB

Name:  DSC_9019.jpg
Size:  578.2 KB

continued...
Old 26th August 2012, 19:47   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Romin : HVK you have a huge goat under your scorpio
By now the shepherd pulls the goat out. Goat is scared! So are we.
By now Romin gets inside the Scorpio and the goat runs away...
hvkumar : Dikao, tera nuksan wala Bakri ...
They had already ran away. Sheperd could not find the goat.
Moral of the story : HVK and Goats sleeping on Hairpin bends don't go well together!!
This was hilarious! Who would have expected a goat run over by a Scorpio to actually get up and run away?! For a moment I thought you guys had a good feast of mutton that evening, but alas...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote