Size:  484.5 KB

Name:  DSC_9312.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  626.7 KB

Name:  DSC_9330.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  441.5 KB

Agent Vinod shows the Souvenir he got
(A running cow in front of his car when we were driving from Sach pass to Bairagad, had gifted him with that)
Name:  DSC_9315.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  635.7 KB

continued...
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 22:34   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts

Day 4
26 - July - 2012

It started raining heavily.
I sat inside HVK Scorpio
Name:  DSC_9337.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  377.3 KB

Name:  DSC_9332.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  156.3 KB

Rainy Video

Mr. and Mrs. Romin returned after a tea break!

Name:  DSC_9340.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  290.8 KB

HVK runs to the Scorpio

Name:  DSC_9341.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  595.8 KB

The sheep were out grazing and how I wish the rains clean them

Name:  DSC_9342.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  462.3 KB

Name:  DSC_9343.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  579.0 KB

Name:  DSC_9344.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  426.0 KB

We started our onward journey from Sarthal by 08:45AM.

continued...
laluks is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 23:03   #319
BHPian

Saar, Did agent vinod also wanted to try the Goat under my car trick done by HVK? But instead of goat, he wanted to show his might with a cow haan??

that greenery is fantastic! Wish to remain there for ever. so whats the source of livelihood for the villagers? especially in winter?
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 23:31   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Saar, Did agent vinod also wanted to try the Goat under my car trick done by HVK? But instead of goat, he wanted to show his might with a cow haan??
There is an interesting tale behind that black spot in the Madam Safari headlight. The previous night, when we were driving down from Sach Pass to Bairavgad, a grazing cow panicked on seeing my Scorpio and I overtook it with great difficulty, but the mantle passed on to Agent Vinod, and he had a tough time - the scared cow galloped in front of him for over a km or so, before it found a shoulder where it got off the road, and this thing got deposited in the headlight!

Quote:
that greenery is fantastic! Wish to remain there for ever. so whats the source of livelihood for the villagers? especially in winter?
Sarthal closes down totally during winter. The entire place you see in the photos gets covered completely with snow some 20-30 feet deep, and everyone migrates to either Bani, Lowang or Bhaderwah (almost all those we talked to are from the villages in the lower altitude). The road itself closes down between Lowang & Bhaderwah. Sarthal reopens in the summer and the green meadows are great pasture grounds for shepherds to graze their goats, sheep & cows.

P.S. The place was so fascinating that our team was quite keen on staying back that day, trekking around to explore the neighbouring hills. But the no-water situation in the toilets & the sudden downpour watered down the plans, and that is how early departure was signalled & we left Sarthal by 845 am

Last edited by hvkumar : 30th August 2012 at 23:46.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 12:43   #321
BHPian

Inspirational! That best describes this travelogue in one word. I'm hoping someday I will follow your tyre tracks!

Just had a couple of questions;

1) Does altitude sickness play a part in areas like these?
2) How much prep time goes into planning such a trip, to remote places on roads less travelled? What are the do's and dont's while travelling to 'sensitive' parts of the country?

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the travelogue! Cheers
MorePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 12:47   #322
BHPian

Dear HVK,

I am looking for shoes for my Innova. I have been asking around for the brand and make of the tyres fro my Innova - who better than the father of Highways Which tyres are on your scorpio? I am confused between Bridgestone (stock) B390 and Yokohama C drive. What are your views?
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 13:23   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Dear HVK,

I am looking for shoes for my Innova. I have been asking around for the brand and make of the tyres fro my Innova - who better than the father of Highways Which tyres are on your scorpio? I am confused between Bridgestone (stock) B390 and Yokohama C drive. What are your views?
I have used both BS & Yokos & for my driving circumstances, Yokos is best.

Yokos AT:
+ braking
+ wet roads
+ rough terrain
+ superb handling at high speeds, ghats
- soft, cuts in sidewalls
- less life
- more expensive

BS AT:
+ long life
+ harder, less damage
- poorer handling in high speed, wet roads & ghat roads

Let me remind you that my Yokos have been fantastic on the roads of Ladakh, but I have also suffered severe damage - especially Sidewall cuts - in the Yokos.
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 13:40   #324
Senior - BHPian

Sathal also seems to be an amazing place. You guys are showing us so many amazing and unexplored places. Hats off guys.. Eagerly waiting for the next installments. BTW, you guys did Mughal Road too, right? When is that section coming?
kaushik_s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 13:47   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I have used both BS & Yokos & for my driving circumstances, Yokos is best.

Yokos AT:
+ braking
+ wet roads
+ rough terrain
+ superb handling at high speeds, ghats
- soft, cuts in sidewalls
- less life
- more expensive

BS AT:
+ long life
+ harder, less damage
- poorer handling in high speed, wet roads & ghat roads

Let me remind you that my Yokos have been fantastic on the roads of Ladakh, but I have also suffered severe damage - especially Sidewall cuts - in the Yokos.
HVK, Thanks for the feedback. This is pretty much consistent with what i have read in the "Tyre & Alloy Wheel" section of Team BHP. I guess i will go for Yoko C drive. I was thinking of upsizing to 225/60/R15, but i guess i will stick to the stock size of 205/65/R15
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 14:04   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
1) Does altitude sickness play a part in areas like these?
In the circuit we did, we did not cross 4500 mtrs height anywhere. Hence, no high altitude issues. IN any case, we drink lots of water to avoid dehydration, that helps high-altitude sickness too.

Quote:
2) How much prep time goes into planning such a trip, to remote places on roads less travelled? What are the do's and dont's while travelling to 'sensitive' parts of the country?
I do lots of research on routes before hand. MY entire trip plan - even when it involves going to least-travelled, unknown or difficult areas - is fully planned beforehand, right down to the T and I am sure where I will halt overnight & how much speed I will do in each sector. Also have a good record of adhering to trip plans.

Dos & Don'ts - nothing special, except that we are more careful, less conspicuous, keep tab on security situation before & during the drive, very patient...
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 15:32   #327
BHPian

Boy, what an inspirational drive. The Khillar-Tiyari route is a 'must' for bikers, not sure about four-wheels.
Did Madam Safari fall in love with HVK Scorpio? With no Captain Gowri in the frame, I guess she is doing the honors this time, eh?
rahul_sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 16:03   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Boy, what an inspirational drive. The Khillar-Tiyari route is a 'must' for bikers, not sure about four-wheels.
Did Madam Safari fall in love with HVK Scorpio? With no Captain Gowri in the frame, I guess she is doing the honors this time, eh?
Sir ji, Madam Safari is already married to Agent Vinod, HVK SCorpio does not practice adultery

Yes, I heard that Capt. Gowri is now posted in the deserts of Bikaner.....
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 17:33   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Map of the full Bairavgad-Langera-Bani-Sarthal sector,
based on our GPS tracks
This is what we covered the full day on Jul 25, 2012
HVK, Have you got the GPS route file uploaded anywhere? Want to see it in Google Earth. Thanks.
kesri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 19:35   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is an interesting tale behind that black spot in the Madam Safari headlight. The previous night, when we were driving down from Sach Pass to Bairavgad, a grazing cow panicked on seeing my Scorpio and I overtook it with great difficulty, but the mantle passed on to Agent Vinod, and he had a tough time - the scared cow galloped in front of him for over a km or so, before it found a shoulder where it got off the road, and this thing got deposited in the headlight!
Sharing a similar experience, but with nastier consequences:
This was in the early 90's. On the way back from a drive in the Garhwal region, IIRC this was somewhere near Karnaprayag. A calf started running in front of us, scared by the car and the incessant honking of a minibus that was following us. The road was narrow, with no space for the animal to stop or for us to let the minibus pass. After a kilometer or more, we found a lay-by to pull into and let the minibus pass. The calf continued running as the minibus continued to honk and follow it. We followed behind the bus, thankful about not having our ears blown away by his air-horn.

About 2-3 km further down the road, the exhausted calf collapsed in a heap right in the middle of the road. The minibus stopped and the driver & conductor went to the animal, but it wouldn't respond - looked dead. They dragged the animal to the side of the road, and casually continued on their way.

Such incidents (of scared animals racing ahead of cars) are not very uncommon in the mountains still, but thankfully the roads are wider, so animals can let a vehicle pass - also, I suppose they tend to run less scared of engine and horn noises, being more used to them due to the increasing penetration of automobiles into hitherto non-tourist-attracting areas.

Madam Safari taught the cow a lesson she will not forget in a hurry!
In a similar situation today, I just stop for 2 minutes for the animal to settle down.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote