Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th October 2012, 21:05   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Northeast Himalayan Escape - Bhutan and Tawang

^^^
Coronation Bridge route. Dhupguri route is scenically challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
I am not in a hurry so the longer of the routes is also fine. Priority would be on scenery.
If you can spare an extra day (or better, two), traipse through the hills. Siliguri - Mirik - Ghoom - Peshok road - Tista Bazar - Kalimpong - Lava - Gorubathan - Mal.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 10:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Go for route 1, NH 31C. Very scenic along the forest, you will enjoy the ride.
Sevoke-Coronation bridge-Oodlabari-Malbazar-Chalsa-Banarhat-Birpara-Madarihat-Hashimara-PS. Madarihat-Hashimara route was poor and some part after the coronation bridge was rough, otherwise its a good area to drive.
Thanks buddy for the info. Do let me know if you have any other details that could be of help to me. Cheers
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 19:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Coronation Bridge route. Dhupguri route is scenically challenged.

If you can spare an extra day (or better, two), traipse through the hills. Siliguri - Mirik - Ghoom - Peshok road - Tista Bazar - Kalimpong - Lava - Gorubathan - Mal.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks Sutripta, based on your suggestions i think i will loiter around the hills for couple of days. That sounds much better than what i initially had in mind. Could you tell me what are the must see places around. I looked up Sandapku and think i will go there..Also if i visit Kalimpong then i don't think i can take the Coronation bridge/Sevoke route on the way to Bhutan, what do you think should i skip it? I am leaving this Saturday...
Cheers
Old 30th October 2012, 20:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
To me the Darjiling hills meant walks and treks. I don't think that would be your focus.

Re: Sandakphu, contact TBhpian Black Pearl. He has done Sandakphu by car, and is also an experienced rider. Sandakphu and back will be a whole day expedition. And now, dusk is starting quite early.

Coronation bridge: From Kalimpong, you can come out at Damdim. You backtrack 25 Kms and you are at Coronation bridge. Going and coming, a 1.5 hr detour. Worth it if you have not done it before. And if you like forests, and have time on hand, there are some more options.

PM me.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 20:12   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, why is a person with a handle like 'car love' touring on a bike!?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st November 2012, 15:05   #51
BHPian

cars = 1st love
bikes = 2nd love
Old 17th May 2013, 16:18   #52
BHPian

Me and my friend went to Bhutan from Bangalore via Vishakapatnam, Bhubaneshwar, Kolkata and Siliguri. Now we are returning from Bhutan and reached Siliguri. We are headed towards Malda town but want to explore the option of skipping NH34 (we are in a punto) and the stretch was broken from Kolkata to Malda. Any advice on alternate route via Bihar / Jharkhand that is safe to drive and comfortable too ? We will be reaching Malda in 3 hours, so a quick help will do wonders to us.

Last edited by devsoftech : 17th May 2013 at 16:26.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 05:30   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
We are headed towards Malda town but want to explore the option of skipping NH34 (we are in a punto) and the stretch was broken from Kolkata to Malda. Any advice on alternate route via Bihar / Jharkhand that is safe to drive and comfortable too ?
Hi,
Use Dalkhola - Purnea - Bhagalpur - Dumka - Massanjore - Siuri - Barddhaman.
Possible choke point is driving through Bhagalpur town itself. No bypass.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2796885 (Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 16:02   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
After spending some time at the beach, we came back to the room. We had a good night sleep, a well deserved rest. The next day our drive would take us through the rocky beach of Bheemili ( or Bheemunipatnam) and overcrowded beach of Vizag!

Hi Himavanth,

First of all many many ongratulations for completing this trip safely and successfully. I know I am very late in responding, but I got a chance to go through log only now. My bad I missed this log.

Read this in single go and when I finished I felt as if I came out of the fog and started to look for rain outside my office windows (in hot chennai and that too at 3pm ).

The narration about the war memorial moved me a lot. They are the real heroes and I long to visit more of such memorials. This place is added to my list. Hopefully I will do it in future.

And finally, why is this thread not updated with rocky beach of Bheemili ( or Bheemunipatnam) and overcrowded beach of Vizag yet!?
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 19:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Use Dalkhola - Purnea - Bhagalpur - Dumka - Massanjore - Siuri - Barddhaman.
Possible choke point is driving through Bhagalpur town itself. No bypass.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2796885 (Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34)

Regards
Sutripta
We happened to take this route.

Highlights:
1. Started from Siliguri at 3 PM (Stayed at Hotel Tourist Inn - 1500 for a double AC room)
2. Reached Bhagalpur Town at 9 PM. The NH is really screwed here (Potholes, traffic, truck jams). We left bhagalpur town by 11 PM (Oolta-pul had a big jam due to trucks)
3. Drove through bihar-jharkhand roads whole of the night. Jharkhand has good roads and a dozen of bridges were work-in-progress so had to take diversions (Get off the NH and climb back).
4. Dumka was a horrifying stretch. Before entering Dumka we ran into a gang of folks with guns at 2:30 PM. I think they were maoists. They didn't look like army guys or policemen. Had some bands on their heads. They did not stop us luckily. My heart was in my mouth and fingers crossed all the way till we hit daylight. With this experience, I would rather go for potholes than facing such challenges.
5. We reached Raniganj at 4:30 AM and took a room. We rested till 11 AM and left for Kolkata via Delhi-Kolkata highway (NH2).
6. We bypassed Kolkata and reached Bangalore in two days via Chennai. Intermediate halt was at Icchapuram (for resting for few hours).
Old 31st May 2013, 21:30   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
We happened to take this route.

Highlights:

5. We reached Raniganj at 4:30 AM and took a room. We rested till 11 AM and left for Kolkata via Delhi-Kolkata highway (NH2).
That means you used Dubrajpur - Ranigunj (NH60)? That road used to be horrible (essentially used by coal mining trucks) and best avoided. Has it improved?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th June 2013, 00:01   #57
BHPian

I took Dumka-Jamtara-Chittaranjan (Roads was bad here, immediately after exiting Jamtara) -Asansol bypass (GT road after Dendua)-Raniganj route. NH60 was totally avoided so I don't know the status of NH60. But this route was good. I remember passing one long narrow, very high and old bridge at night after dumka. could not figure out i'm driving over what ? only one vehicle could cross at a time and the city was very below from the bridge. Did I drive over a river or a mining area in that stretch of Jharkhand ?