Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 18:58   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Wonderful once again Sir!!!.

This bike option is something new that i learnt. Was aware of the other routes. That is a quick business opportunity for the bikers.

I am cursing myself for not visiting the place while i was located in Dandeli for a year.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 19:08   #62
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 871
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

I am off to Goa this weekend ..... I was planning to do Blr-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa both sides - but looking at your pics i am tempted to do Goa-Londa-Ponda-Khanapur-Dharwad route on the way back. Would you recommend it for Cedia ?
ethanhunt123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 20:52   #63
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,710
Thanked: 7,607 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

LaluKS, this is absolutely fantastic! Dudh-Sagar has been on my to-be-visited list for 2 years now. But the lack of any authentic information on the net and the long trek had put me off. Now with your log, I am pretty sure every feet of the route and every minute detail of the journey has been recorded. Thanks for making my life easier, when I do plan for this destination.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 21:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,805
Thanked: 7,799 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Man, do you even stay at home ? Oh, I guess the saying serves you right, 'Road is my home', ain't it ?

Good Luck and I wish we get another t-log soon. Anyway, I would pm you with my questions, you can take ur time to respond once you're back from the trip as they will be basic questions on roads, accomodation and other things.

Thanks

Sure sir.
I'll reply all that I know once I am back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
A really awesome travelogue!! And breathtaking photographs! And lucky you! You got an Aria for the Trip!! Really enjoyed reading! Enjoyed the videos too!

Dudhsagar is a trip planned for the next Goa trip. Surely will refer to your travelogue before going!

Cheers.
Thank you.
Aria came just at the right time for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Wonderful once again Sir!!!.

This bike option is something new that i learnt. Was aware of the other routes. That is a quick business opportunity for the bikers.

I am cursing myself for not visiting the place while i was located in Dandeli for a year.
Don't know how long the tiff off between the railway and bikers will stay. If resolved biking is a quick alternative.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am off to Goa this weekend ..... I was planning to do Blr-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa both sides - but looking at your pics i am tempted to do Goa-Londa-Ponda-Khanapur-Dharwad route on the way back. Would you recommend it for Cedia ?
No issues for Cedia. Cedia will love the route.
Why not try Sawantwadi Amboli route also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
LaluKS, this is absolutely fantastic! Dudh-Sagar has been on my to-be-visited list for 2 years now. But the lack of any authentic information on the net and the long trek had put me off. Now with your log, I am pretty sure every feet of the route and every minute detail of the journey has been recorded. Thanks for making my life easier, when I do plan for this destination.
, Good to know I have helped you out with the required information.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 21:41   #65
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 871
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks
No issues for Cedia. Cedia will love the route.
Why not try Sawantwadi Amboli route also?
This time am heading to South Goa so Amboli route is much longer. Did that route last year and I loved it as well though
ethanhunt123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 00:19   #66
BHPian
 
joshuakeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad/Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 47 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Mind blowing adventure & magnificent captures,To be frank, first time i ever liked ARIA, May be because the way the pictures were presented or because of the scenery's .

Laluks amazing write up, Your pictures & the videos were catchy.

Doodh sagar was spectacular. The only image i have knows was the one from wiki, Your pictures has planted an idea in my mind to make it to Doodh sagar.

Thanks for sharing

Josh
joshuakeys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 13:53   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Fantastic Travelogue and Hats off to you and family and more so ever to your Power Puff Girls for doing such a treacherous trek with such a ease! One question though: Why did you not continue to trek on the railway Track because at the end you again came back on Railway track? Is it because it is a long route? or were there some other reasons?

HarryB

Last edited by HarryB : 17th August 2012 at 13:54.
HarryB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 14:48   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Wonderful and adventurous trip, the pictures are amazing. Never knew going to Dudh Sagar would be equivalent to Ram searching Lanka . Cannot even think of doing this trip as the path is quiet risky for a little ones.

Now how does one get to Dudh Sagar if biking or trekking is not an option? Does it mean drive and then take train or alternatively do it on a non rainy season so as one can drive all the way? How does it look in non rainy season say around Durga pooja time when kids have a long (10 day) holiday?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 15:02   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Sorry Iam a little confused - looking at the pictures, it seems you biked along a rail track, trekked thru a forest, crossed streams and finally arrived at and walked right through a huge gate that has a nice big board saying "dudhsagar waterfalls" and walked in to a place that looks like a car park!!!! How is this possible? Or have i not properly understood the access to this place?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 15:06   #70
BHPian
 
KRRaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

This Tlog has come at the right time. Lalu , how safe is it to park the car and go trekking? Both Castle Rock or Collem Station? Else, we might need to arrange a cab to drop us and wait till we return. And one more important question, were there any leeches?
KRRaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 03:23   #71
BHPian
 
neoranjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Am guessing, considering the terrain, there would be plenty of leeches
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 13:29   #72
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Excellent travelogue Lalu, and pictures are so crisp. Nice family adventure indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I was then told there were some bikers who would take you to the falls through the railway tracks for a cost. But was a very risky affair! But then what is fun without some risks. The idea that I toyed in my mind was we will have at least locals with us who knows the place and risks while we do this ride and trek on the tracks. So the idea was kind of frozen.
Sorry, this is where I felt a bit odd. Adventure is fine, but getting 2 kids to pillion ride together on a bike was a bit too dangerous (even if the speed is 5kmph), that too without helmet. Maybe its just me, but I actually found the scenes in the video more disturbing than the series of videos in the Cliffhanger thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hire bikes and ride and trek to the falls through the track.
When you mentioned bikes, I initially thought its mountain bikes (and not motorbikes). Actually wouldn’t that make some good business idea for the locals – to setup mountain bikes rental go along the same path you followed?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 22:02   #73
BHPian
 
Coooolcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nagpur,Bangalore
Posts: 423
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

How can you be doing so many trips, sure many on this forum envy you for the same. The silver lining being that we get to see so many places thru your travelogues. The best part of your Tls is that you capture the essence of the route and place by taking pictures of people and all various activities happening.
Rating 5*
Regards.
Coooolcat21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 18:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,862 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Beautiful green travelogue, Lalu. Enjoyed reading it, and it's finally started raining in my part of the country after I finished! 5 stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
...survive three drives of 20 days duration in HVK's team. If you do, then consider yourself trained well
LOL. Provided the applicant hasn't thrown up all over HVK's car (or thrown out of it as a result) halfway into the first drive into the mountains!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Where can we apply for this training? Is there some entrance exam/test?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 09:24   #75
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,805
Thanked: 7,799 Times
Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Was away on another relaxing trip, hence could not check the net for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Mind blowing adventure & magnificent captures,To be frank, first time i ever liked ARIA, May be because the way the pictures were presented or because of the scenery's .

Laluks amazing write up, Your pictures & the videos were catchy.

Doodh sagar was spectacular. The only image i have knows was the one from wiki, Your pictures has planted an idea in my mind to make it to Doodh sagar.

Thanks for sharing

Josh
Thanks Joshua.
Aria is a nice vehicle. It kind of grows on to you.
Dudh Sagar in the rains is just simply the best experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Fantastic Travelogue and Hats off to you and family and more so ever to your Power Puff Girls for doing such a treacherous trek with such a ease! One question though: Why did you not continue to trek on the railway Track because at the end you again came back on Railway track? Is it because it is a long route? or were there some other reasons?

HarryB
The trekk through the track from Castle Rock was 14KM and with kids a 5 to 7 hour trek. The trek from Collem is 11KM and probably a 5 to 6 hour trek. It would be little hard and also the return via trains had to be properly planned.

But with the bikes we walked probably 2KM and took around 1.5 hour to reach the falls. Given that we had only half a day to spare, this was the best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Wonderful and adventurous trip, the pictures are amazing. Never knew going to Dudh Sagar would be equivalent to Ram searching Lanka . Cannot even think of doing this trip as the path is quiet risky for a little ones.

Now how does one get to Dudh Sagar if biking or trekking is not an option? Does it mean drive and then take train or alternatively do it on a non rainy season so as one can drive all the way? How does it look in non rainy season say around Durga pooja time when kids have a long (10 day) holiday?
Seriously. If you don't exactly know where the falls are and how to reach it, you'd probably not figure out what is to be expected here.

You can try the train ride from Castle Rock and back. As I figured out there is a train from Castle Rock at 10:15 AM on Saturdays and back to Castle Rock by 17:30PM. Please check the train and timings from the railways website. This seems to be a better bet with family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Sorry Iam a little confused - looking at the pictures, it seems you biked along a rail track, trekked thru a forest, crossed streams and finally arrived at and walked right through a huge gate that has a nice big board saying "dudhsagar waterfalls" and walked in to a place that looks like a car park!!!! How is this possible? Or have i not properly understood the access to this place?

That is the place where the Jeeps come and drop you in the summer times when the water flow is less. The road through the sanctuary has a lot of Mandovi rivulets crossing it. During Monsoons, it is not a jeepable road, and the only way to enter the sanctuary is via bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
This Tlog has come at the right time. Lalu , how safe is it to park the car and go trekking? Both Castle Rock or Collem Station? Else, we might need to arrange a cab to drop us and wait till we return. And one more important question, were there any leeches?
Castle Rock seemed peaceful. Collem had the biker gang waiting, so it'd be some skills to avoid them and park your car and go on for the trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Am guessing, considering the terrain, there would be plenty of leeches
Yes there are. We had some biting moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Excellent travelogue Lalu, and pictures are so crisp. Nice family adventure indeed! Thanks for sharing.


Sorry, this is where I felt a bit odd. Adventure is fine, but getting 2 kids to pillion ride together on a bike was a bit too dangerous (even if the speed is 5kmph), that too without helmet. Maybe its just me, but I actually found the scenes in the video more disturbing than the series of videos in the Cliffhanger thread


When you mentioned bikes, I initially thought its mountain bikes (and not motorbikes). Actually wouldn’t that make some good business idea for the locals – to setup mountain bikes rental go along the same path you followed?
We all grew up in villages before migrating to the big cities. The one fact that binds us together is trust, and we did many adventures together because of that. Here too the factor was that feeling imbibed in all of us and we trusted the bikers and they in return took good care of us. Probably

Regarding business opportunities, probably since the visitor footfall this place gets are in excess of 10K every year and mostly foreign crowd, it may not be a bad idea at all. I was told on certain days it had touched 2K.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore Route ravi_hsrlayout Route / Travel Queries 61 5th December 2015 10:37
Photologue : Family Weekend Getaway to Goa Sugeeta Travelogues 18 4th November 2011 13:29
Nagarjuna Sagar-Ettipotala falls : Photoblog Fordmanchau Travelogues 15 18th January 2010 10:20
Hogenakkal Falls - My Weekend getaway 2 @400Kph Travelogues 15 28th September 2009 14:44
Gaganachukki , Barachukki Falls - My Weekend getaway 1 @400Kph Travelogues 9 10th September 2009 10:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:28.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks