Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th September 2012, 11:20   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Thank you Laluks for your inspiring write up. I trekked to Dudhsagar on Sat . This pic is dedicated to you
Attached Thumbnails
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-tunnel.jpg  

neoranjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:45   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

I was there on Saturday too! Had an awesome time there as well as the journey. Trek was a bit tiring. Me and my friend started at 9:45 Just before the Chennai Vasco left castle rock and reached falls by 1PM. If permitted, I will share photos here.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 13:12   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Thank you Laluks for your inspiring write up. I trekked to Dudhsagar on Sat . This pic is dedicated to you
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I was there on Saturday too! Had an awesome time there as well as the journey. Trek was a bit tiring. Me and my friend started at 9:45 Just before the Chennai Vasco left castle rock and reached falls by 1PM. If permitted, I will share photos here.
Please do share your pictures. It'd be wonderful to see more of the falls and its surroundings.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 17:18   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

We trekked from castle rock. So let me share the route, as this thread has pictures from Kulem side. It will take some time for me to share everything. Until then, here is a couple:
We started walking down even before the train left the station, and it slowly started its journey making it to the point till where we had walked. People in the train took pictures of us walking and wished us all the best!
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06049.jpg

An abandoned station
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06083.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06090.jpg
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 10:15   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

@Laluks, sir for a full layered picture of the falls, all you had to do is to walk along the railway line towards kulem, for about one km from the falls after the two tunnels. That is the best view you can get. I will post that picture in some time. Here are some more pictures:

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06078.jpg

A set of banking locos pass by us as we near tunnel 2:
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06100.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06103.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06106.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06109.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06115.jpg

This is a mini Dudhsagar! :P
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06138.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06139.jpg

On top of the clouds!
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06152.jpg

Caranzol, a railway crossing after Castle rock. I must say that the station masters are very helpful and kind in this region. He answered all our queries, wished best of luck for the remaining journey

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06154.jpg

We had to cross this thing!
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06158.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06166.jpg

We begin to near the scary viaduct
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06178.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06184.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06187.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06188.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06190.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 20th September 2012 at 10:37. Reason: Formatting
audioholic is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:51   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Continued:

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06191.jpg

We see a goods rake that is waiting for a signal. Signal brings joy as the signal is near DDS railway station!
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06193.jpg

Late running amaravathi Express pulls into DDS signal, and due to this, the goods rake has a set of pi**** loco pilots, as they have been waiting for the crossing from a long time. As soon as they get the green signal, all the five locos blast off, with full effort!
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06195.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06196.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06203.jpg

The old Railway station
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06205.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06209.jpg

Our first glimpse of the falls!
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06211.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06222.jpg
The falls is located at the 39th km stone. Castle rock platform ends at 25th km. Total distance comes to 14kms.
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06225.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 20th September 2012 at 15:02. Reason: Adding captions
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 16:50   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06251.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06255.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06257.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06260.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc06262.jpg
audioholic is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 17:42   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Some extracts from a PM to a member who wanted to know more about reaching there by train. I am pasting it here for the benefit of all members.

Me and my friend undertook the trip. We did not return to CLR but went to Kulem, as we had many advantages:
  • The return train would arrive at Kulem at 10:20PM odd, whereas it would reach castle rock at 1145PM, which was a bit risky in the lone station.
  • Next, we left the falls by 5PM, and waiting till 1145PM would be useless, compared to getting an extra hour of sleep which was very very necessary after the condition we were in.
  • We were even planning to reach Madgaon as we had better food options there. So our aim was kulem. We got good food in Kulem so did not go to madgaon.
  • We wanted to experience the complete braganza section and also travelling in an open goods wagon.

Regarding stoppage of trains:
All downhill trains MUST halt at three places for brake testing. That is after CLR, you get Caranzol, Dudhsagar and Sonaulim. All downhill trains stop in these three stations to show that their brakes are fine else they are thrown out of the track by a signal and point arrangement. So you can expect a minute stop by all passenger and goods trains taking the downhill route. Usually no train skips this procedure, as I have seen that all signals by default are red and the track is directed towards catch sidings.

However, uphill trains only stop if there is a crossing as restarting the heavy rakes upward is a tricky process. Hence, AFAIk only the Goa express stops in the Uphill direction in DDS and Sonaulim stations. So, this is the last train that stops in Dudhsagar at around 5PM. If you miss that, you will be held up there. You could travel in goods rakes but please take permission from the SM before getting onto one. The last wagon or the Caboose is where you have to travel. It is a nice place but the train jerks very badly so hold on. Please do not attempt taking pics without holding onto both the train and the camera, else either will be surely be thrown off.

How to plan the train travel
Goods trains have no fixed timings. And sometimes trains are delayed due to minor track repairs. The braganza ghats has a management that is commanded by the station masters of CLR and kulem. They are assisted by SMs in the three intermediate stations. They can give you precise info about most queries related to your transport. In a region where mobile and internet is scarce, they have access to wireless radio. So, they can communicate and inform you. I strongly suggest to approach them for knowing that day's plan as they know what will happen and what will not. They can suggest you the appropriate train and in our case, the station master of DDS station flagged down a goods rake for us to travel in it till kulem, as there was no other means of transport. That was really courteous of him.

And officially it is wrong for passengers to board a goods train, so please get a nod for such things from the station master. You can know from the station master whether there are goods trains going up or down so that you can plan the timings appropriately. All depends upon luck. However, the last passenger train going up is the Goa express. It stops for a minute at DDS to clear a signal. Make sure you are near the station and not the falls well before 5PM. The train does not stop at the falls but a km away. So be in the station by 430PM as if the train is early, then you had it. If not that train, you are stranded there till next morning mostly.

Going down...
As told earlier, we were ready to reach madgaon for food, as we were in dire need of it. The goods rake dropped us in Kulem. In kulem, we contacted the SM again, who suggested us a place very near to the railway station. He also unlocked a room for us where we could rest and freshen up. The place he suggested was a small eatery which served us chinese food and some good Tandoor dishes. We enjoyed it and had a stomach full after a day of not having heavy food. The place ain't so luxurious or beautiful, but is decently clean and quite inexpensive. Again thanked the SM as he was leaving for the day. He told us the running status of the train, where our coach was positioned and left, only to know that he lived within the station itself. After having some heavy food, sat on the chairs waiting for the train. Were careful not to fall asleep.

Train came on time, and we found the coach in the right position and after getting tickets marked, slept to glory. Couldnt even stay awake till Dudhsagar.

A huge shout to all the Railway staff of the entire region, right from the Loco pilot doing duty in a banker, whom we met in the morning before our journey, labourers working in the ghats to ensure trains run safe, till the four SMs we met and chatted with. THey were a valuable source for us as well as anyone who is going on a similar trip. If we are humble and friendly, they will sure help to their best extent.

Having walked for about 20kms in a day, we were not in a position to walk straight as our legs were paining that badly. On that day, out of nearly a hundred who started the hike, less than 20 could walk the entire length. The uneven surface of the ballast made things even difficult. But it was well worth the experience.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st October 2012 at 17:45.
audioholic is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 19:42   #129
BHPian

@audioholic : we seemed to have boarded the same train. However, from DDS, we boarded the CLR bound train , freshened up at the CLR waiting room and then boarded the goods train that left CLR at 8pm . It reached Kullem at about 10pm just in time for our train back to Yeshwantpur.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 21:20   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

What a miss man, I think you were meters away from me that to in such a lone area!

IIRC, weren't you one of the guys who came in that petrol tanker rake? You would have noticed two of us lying like drunkards on the chairs on the platform We were wondering how long one of the tanks of petrol lasted if we stole it!

And I think you would have been in DDS station before Goa express arrived. Me and my friend and a couple of other people took the down rake that arrived at DDS and reached kulem. But why did you go up to CLR, and again return to QLM? It was a close call for you, as if there were a slight delay, your down train would have been held up at a signal to allow the VSG YPR to pass. Quite a risk that!
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 21:57   #131
BHPian

Indeed.. we were the group that came in the petrol tanker. Infact our entire discussion was also about how much petrol these rakes were carrying

We checked with the loco pilots if we were going to risk missing the train . He just said that it was the same engine that would have to be attached to the Yeshwantpur train. Once we heard that, we just had to jump in than waste time at CLR
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 15:24   #132
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Hey Guys, thats a fabulous information bank on DDS that you all have scoured up in here

Don't know if i am hijacking this TL but just wanted to know on how can i plan for my proposed trip to DDS... i am planing to start from Bangalore and park my vehicle at Kulem or CLR and then try and use the trains for my DDS visit and then drive back to BNG. What should be my ideal route and stopover for my vehicle. Pls guide me.

Thanking you all in advance
yo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 19:02   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Basically, you need to get to CLR or kulem as early in the morning as possible. That would help you catch the earliest train to the falls. That will help you to spend more time there at the falls. Remember, the only fixed train back to castle rock is the Goa express. Down to Kulem, there is no other train other than the amravathi express which crosses the stretch before noon. So, you need to park the car in CLR to be on the safer side. Apart from the passenger trains, there are freights but they are very unpredictable and do not rely upon them. They can just be an alternative to other trains. If you stop at Kulem, I dont think there are much trains going towards DDS. Here is a list of trains from kulem to castle rock:
http://indiarailinfo.com/search/509/0/508

Here is a list of trains from CLR to kulem
http://indiarailinfo.com/search/508/0/509
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 00:39   #134
BHPian

Hey Thanks @audioholic. Sorry for the late reply but got caught up with work... my plans for the diwali do not seem to be working out as of now but am trying.

By the way, i recently had one of my friends pointing out to me an article in Bangalore Mirror that said that there are no trains stopping at CLR at all!!! and in fact, that has led to visitors risking their life by either jumping in the ponds (created from the DDS water) from the moving train or getting knocked off in their attempts to stop an oncoming train

Am however prepared to trek if the train option doesn't work out.

By any chance dose anyone have any idea about the route and info shown in the map as per this link http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Bengaluru-...alls?route=Bus

Thanks in advance for all the help.
yo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 08:06   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

I was informed about the article too, I think it was published in Bangalore mirror. Let me clear a few things:

1. I think you are referrring to trains not stopping at DDS and not CLR. That could be true. However, regarding CLR, it is a technical halt more than a commercial one. Extra locos are attached to each and every train that passes through the ghats. These are then detached at Kulem. Its a ten minute long procedure.

2. It is indeed very dangerous to try to stop a moving train. That too, a goods train has a lot of momentum and even if a person stands in the middle of the track, the LP will have no other choice but to run over the person. Also, trains that are going uphill never stop unless there is a caution signal. They will be moving faster compared to downhill trains to have good momentum. Hence, they will not stop too.

3. As I have mentioned, travelling in a loco, or a goods train is illegal, and you can be prosecuted for that. That is the reason I have requested all to contact the respective SM on duty. Even for us, the SM informed the LP of the arriving goods train that the signal is red and he would have to stop. Hence, they stopped the train. The SM also informed the SM of kulem that there are people on board the arriving train. It was semi official, just not on paper.

4. Regarding trains not stopping at DDS, I think there is some miscommunication again. There are three technical halts betweel CLR and QLM. Caranzol, Dudhsagar and Sonaulim. Most of the trains stop at either one, or all of these stations for brake testing. As per the SM, the tracks will be left open, to a siding. Only when a train stops, the tracks are linked ahead. Else, a train which does not stop will be derailed. So, I am sure that most trains will stop at any one of the three, but due to demand, they were stopping atDDS. Vasco express stopped at all three points. So did the return Goa Express.

5. Jumping down to the falls is an exaggerated statement I must say. Both sides of the bridge are wide enough and well barricaded which makes jumping impossible, except if they had a expert on board.he wouldn't have survived for sure, even if he did. Maybe they jumped off the train thats it.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote