Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th September 2012, 12:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sakleshpur - Been there yet ? (A drive in the rains)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
In most probability, this is a variety of a " Checkered keelback ", going by the checkered marks on the back, although I could not dig out an exact match on the net or in the book. I doubt it is a rat snake as they have distinct vertical stripes running near their eyes.
It is definitely not a rat snake. Even I thought so looking at the length, but after looking at the 'close up' picture , I was pretty sure that it wasn't a rat snake.

It could be a Keelback as Chandan says, but do keelbacks grow to such lengths?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 08:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
One quick question: Do you think a drive to Sakleshpur and staying in the places you mentioned would be possible in a non-SUV (say in a hatch!)?
Quote:
Yes, it is possible in a non-SUV. The only cars that had problems till date were the Baleno & Civic.
It is definitely possible in any car you can think of, barring maybe the Civic. Roads are only broken for the last 2km that you take to reach Mugilu estate, everywhere else it is smooth sailing. I drove down to Mugilu in an Accent with low profile tyres last year, and had lots of fun at Chandan's estate. I even took it 'off-roading' on the plains and grass meadows without any issues. I don't remember the car scraping its belly anywhere! A hatch should be able to do this very easily. I'll try to post some pictures of a sedan off-roading here.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 20:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
It is definitely not a rat snake. Even I thought so looking at the length, but after looking at the 'close up' picture , I was pretty sure that it wasn't a rat snake.

It could be a Keelback as Chandan says, but do keelbacks grow to such lengths?
Quote:
In most probability, this is a variety of a " Checkered keelback ", going by the checkered marks on the back, although I could not dig out an exact match on the net or in the book. I doubt it is a rat snake as they have distinct vertical stripes running near their eyes.
It is not a keelback nor is it a checkered keelback.Keelbacks are primarily water snakes and are day snakes.The snake in the photos is a night snake,hence you can see it has a vertical slit in its eyeball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

The snake in the picture seems to be a rat snake (non-venomous). Usually found in tiled roof tops typically looking for rats. These are a common sight in my tiled house in Mangalore.
Its definitely not a rat snake as addy and chandan have pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post

Did you manage to identify the snake?
That snake my dear friends is a malabar pit viper. Its a venomous species which can pack a punch in its bite causing swelling and pain, but not potent enough to kill a human being.

I must say Hari bhai, the place and photos are very nice.Makes me miss my place in Coorg.
princezahed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 19:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That snake my dear friends is a malabar pit viper. Its a venomous species which can pack a punch in its bite causing swelling and pain, but not potent enough to kill a human being.
I think you are right Zahed, here is another pic I found on the net:

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/disp....php?id=338231

looks similar.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 14:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker
I think you are right Zahed, here is another pic I found on the net:

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/disp....php?id=338231

looks similar.
The photo you posted is the color species found go that region. I gave seen a brown coloured pit viper in agumbe but in coorg we get a green coloured malabar pit viper.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 14:31   #36
BHPian

Last weekend had been to Sakleshpur. Stayed at Mugilu's and what an experience it was. Simply Awesome!!! One of the best and true homestays I have ever stayed. My three year old son gelled so well with Shunti that he actually wanted to take Shunti along with him to Bangalore and started crying while leaving since he couldn't take her along

Chandan/Sapna, you guys are amazing hosts. Totally loved the stay. Thanks for making our stay memorable. We are coming back for sure.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 22:46   #37
BHPian

The snake is Beddome's Cat Snake, not uncommon in these parts of the western ghats. Here is a reference photo from flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/4935571...n/photostream/
dish is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 09:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
The snake is Beddome's Cat Snake, not uncommon in these parts of the western ghats. Here is a reference photo from flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/4935571...n/photostream/
Thanks for posting the picture @dish. My initial thought was that it could be a cat snake, but didn't find the exact picture on the net to compare.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote