Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 11:26   #136
BHPian
 
santoshr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 130
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Hi ROhit,
A damn good post, and truly inspiring for others I am sure.
I am sorry if this has been posted to you already, but did you get any sort of underbody protection for the car ?
Did the car scrape around when doing the Passes ?

-Santosh
santoshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 18:39   #137
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Hello Santosh,

Firstly, thank you for your compliments. I'm more than happy answering questions related to my trip. The car was driven to Leh with absolutely NO modifications done, fortunately Fiat has provided a sturdy engine guard to all its cars in the factory itself. This does a commendable job in protecting the vital components of the engine.

The car with 162 mm ground clearance and 4 ppl plus luggage is bound to scrape its bottom on B'lore roads. So it comes as no surprise that on those mountain roads, it did scrape a lot but did not cause any major problems. The only casualty being a bent engine guard which was hammered back to its original shape in Manali.
rohittunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 13:32   #138
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,250 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Hello Rohit,

Man, what have you done! That's an amazing feat. Your car, passengers & you being the only driver, coupled with the difficult terrain & mega-route...all this needs a lot of courage & confidence.
That was an amazing travelogue. I read it in one sitting! Frankly speaking, A Linea standing in such terrains looks more like air-lifted from expressway roads & brought to such a location rather than being driven there. & all the praises for you to stand upto whatever the road threw to you.
The drive is & looks pretty demanding & tiring.

My best wishes to you & your family. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Best Regards,
Saket
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 15:20   #139
BHPian
 
Modifiedsachin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

While the 2013 August LEH plan in progress, it was wonderful to go through the log & I am now fully confident that my Linea can also do it (MJET 2012)

Just a small question: - From the list of material carried, a 3 ton tow rope is understood, but what the use of 2 D shackles?????

We get a tow hook to be mounted in front or back, where do we use the D shackles??
Modifiedsachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 15:56   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
While the 2013 August LEH plan in progress, it was wonderful to go through the log & I am now fully confident that my Linea can also do it (MJET 2012)

Just a small question: - From the list of material carried, a 3 ton tow rope is understood, but what the use of 2 D shackles?????

We get a tow hook to be mounted in front or back, where do we use the D shackles??
Its to hook the car to the rope and vice-versa. Otherwise without the shackles you will not be able to attach the rope onto the tow hook in the car.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 16:02   #141
BHPian
 
Modifiedsachin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Its to hook the car to the rope and vice-versa. Otherwise without the shackles you will not be able to attach the rope onto the tow hook in the car.
I am sorry to repeat my question.

For Linea we got a screw type hook which we have to turn and fix in the tow hook position and the rope is to be tied or passed through the circle of the hook.

Unlike the jeeps which I saw in some images on the forum, I haven't seen any arrangement (From outside) on the Linea to mount the D shackles.

So I am still having the impression that the tow hook supplied is to be used & am confused where to mount the D shackles.

Kindly elaborate.

As this is mentioned in the list to be carried material for LEH 2013 trip and since then the confusion is there in my mind.
Modifiedsachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 16:16   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,580
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Read through the entire travelogue just now. Amazing one. You should be confident of doing any trip in our country after this.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 16:17   #143
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post

Kindly elaborate.

As this is mentioned in the list to be carried material for LEH 2013 trip and since then the confusion is there in my mind.
Check the picture Here for tow rope with D shackles. You will see that you have attach one end of the rope with the shackle to the tow rod that you twist into position in the car and the other end to whoever is pulling the car
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 17:06   #144
BHPian
 
A.G.The Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 120
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
I am sorry to repeat my question.

For Linea we got a screw type hook which we have to turn and fix in the tow hook position and the rope is to be tied or passed through the circle of the hook.

Unlike the jeeps which I saw in some images on the forum, I haven't seen any arrangement (From outside) on the Linea to mount the D shackles.

So I am still having the impression that the tow hook supplied is to be used & am confused where to mount the D shackles.

Kindly elaborate.

As this is mentioned in the list to be carried material for LEH 2013 trip and since then the confusion is there in my mind.
The D Shackles needs to be put in the tow hook which basically is mounted on the car and the tow rope is tied to the shackle. It is a piece of metal used with a locking mechanism. It is shaped like a loop of chain, usually with a pin or threaded pin closure. The small loop can take high loads. You can check the below link which has a small video which shows how to use a D Shackle.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ery-strap.html
A.G.The Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 09:31   #145
BHPian
 
Modifiedsachin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Hi All,

Thanks for the clarification.

When anybody was stating D shackles I was always imagining the RED D Shackles mounted on the front bumpers of a Jeep. And looking at the TOW hook supplied by FIAT (Image below) I was not understanding how to use them cause its complete O- type.

The strap image given in this link Here for tow rope with D shackles
has clip type ends to the tow strap & hence that confused a little more.

But after looking at the video its clear that the D Shackles mentioned here are totally different than what I was imagining.

Thanks a lot. (I was almost ready to order the RED Jeep type D Shackles on eBay)


Attached Thumbnails
How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea-img_0587.jpg  

Modifiedsachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 16:11   #146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 182
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Brilliant travel log I am not exaggerating, this is the best travel log I've read. Love your style of writing (This is coming from a copywriter). I was glued from the beginning. Would love to do a trip like yours. Hopefully sometime soon!
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 17:22   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Hi Rohit,

What an amazing travelogue this has been!! While reading, I felt as if Iam travelling along with you buddy I would rate this as one of the best I have read and would surely inspire me in making a trip to Leh-Ladakh by my Optra. I own an Optra Magnum LT and would plan a Leh-Ladakh in the next 1 year or so. Kudos to your narration skills and thumbs up to your courage

Regards
CrankShaft
CrankShaft05 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 21:05   #148
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Brilliant travel log I am not exaggerating, this is the best travel log I've read. Love your style of writing (This is coming from a copywriter). I was glued from the beginning. Would love to do a trip like yours. Hopefully sometime soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
Hi Rohit,

What an amazing travelogue this has been!! While reading, I felt as if Iam travelling along with you buddy I would rate this as one of the best I have read and would surely inspire me in making a trip to Leh-Ladakh by my Optra. I own an Optra Magnum LT and would plan a Leh-Ladakh in the next 1 year or so. Kudos to your narration skills and thumbs up to your courage

Regards
CrankShaft
Thank you guys for your compliments ! I'm glad that you enjoyed reading my log. I guess this August, we'll see a lot more travelogues on Leh as a lot of groups have been planning to head there. So wishing you all the best for your roadtrip
rohittunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 09:06   #149
BHPian
 
Modifiedsachin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
I'm glad that you enjoyed reading my log.
Enjoyed ...

I was planning to take my Linea to LEH this year, & I have not done this big trip before. So there was a mix emotion of fear & excitement. But with the detailed planning given by group, many more members joining so having people to help in case of any issue I was making my mind ready.

But after reading through your logs, I enjoyed every moment. You have described it so well that I could actually feel myself & the urge of doing myself has grown so much that it is capable of suppressing any fear.

Hats off to you. Definitely an achievement.

The way you have described, it was like you took us along & showed how you did it.

Thanks for boosting my confidence.

Last edited by Modifiedsachin : 28th February 2013 at 09:08.
Modifiedsachin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 19:06   #150
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 484
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

What a lovely, brave and courageous travelogue man, simply wonderful !

The reason i say is, this being a trip done with a single driver and all old people for company, that too with only women, driving in those terrains sometimes in the middle of the night and nowhere, believe me not many would want to do a trip like this. I can only imagine a group of guys doing something like this.

Kudos to you that you pulled it off !!
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working hard can kill you tsk1979 Shifting gears 34 24th August 2013 21:14
Help Needed , Can Chevrolet SRV explore Leh Ladakh Safari_Beast Route / Travel Queries 4 6th July 2011 14:23
Linea - Noise on hard cornering (only during right turns) jalsa777 Technical Stuff 5 28th March 2011 17:42
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009 MileCruncher Travelogues 156 2nd October 2009 08:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks