Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 07:05   #151
BHPian
 
sami316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Just finished reading one of the best Ladakh travelogues. What makes is one of the best is the fact that there was only one driver and the sheer guts and determination of the fellow passengers. Very well written and good narration Rohit. When I told my mom that there is a guy from Bangalore who took his mom and aunt all the way to Ladakh in a car, she didn't believe me but after showing the TL she was just awestruck. I am still waiting for my Ladakh trip to materialize. Let's see whether it happens this year or the next. Your information provided here would be of great help. Hats off once again Rohit.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 09:04   #152
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Sam, if you are willing to join hands with a few fellow Bangaloreans, I am in. I've been wanting to do a trip to Ladakh from Bangalore, but haven't been able to get together a group. I don't want to do the trip alone.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 10:44   #153
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Just finished reading one of the best Ladakh travelogues. What makes is one of the best is the fact that there was only one driver and the sheer guts and determination of the fellow passengers. Very well written and good narration Rohit. When I told my mom that there is a guy from Bangalore who took his mom and aunt all the way to Ladakh in a car, she didn't believe me but after showing the TL she was just awestruck. I am still waiting for my Ladakh trip to materialize. Let's see whether it happens this year or the next. Your information provided here would be of great help. Hats off once again Rohit.
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Sam, if you are willing to join hands with a few fellow Bangaloreans, I am in. I've been wanting to do a trip to Ladakh from Bangalore, but haven't been able to get together a group. I don't want to do the trip alone.
Hey Bharath,

There is a big group heading to Ladakh this August. You can join the brigade headed by Hirak Das (motormaverick) and share your travel plans with him and chalk out a proper roadmap to your Ladakh trip.

Infact, I might even do this trip again this year (provided I get my leaves approved from office)
rohittunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:28   #154
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

What do you think ? Can an i20 diesel do it?
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:43   #155
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
What do you think ? Can an i20 diesel do it?
Yup it can do it . Just make sure the clutch has enough life in it.
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 13:45   #156
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 155
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Yup it can do it . Just make sure the clutch has enough life in it.
Rohit, for one, hats off to you and the three tough ladies in your clan--MISSION ACCOMPLISHED indeed. A fantastic and absorbing journey for you, and accept my Heartiest Congratulations and Admiration.



Just one other observation, though. I am from the North of India and am not too sure that the last leg of your journey; through six states; was very wise. A few of those states are dangerous enough in the daytime (I remember one particular drive recently with my fiancé where every other biker had a pillion carrying two rifles!). HP and J&K are fine, but some of the other states (I won't name them!) are best traversed in the daytime.

That having been said, kudos to you. Superlative stuff. More power to you.
rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 21:03   #157
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 12
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

I am a new member and this was the first thread I read.. (What a way to start!)

This is a great feat you have achieved, and definitely a trip you will remember all your life (though the photos will help though!)

I am inspired to do this even on my nearly 8 yr. old Bajaj Pulsar 180Dtsi now!
vinayakdshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 15:54   #158
BHPian
 
BeingCynical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 186
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be ? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How many of them are working now? I don't remember seeing any Reliance pump in action for last few years.
Not sure how many Reliance pumps are still functional across India but have seen few of them en-route to Shirdi. To be specific between Ahemadnagar and Shirdi. I can remember at least 3 of them functioning
BeingCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 11:40   #159
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Thanks for sharing your TL.
Even though its a trip from last year, was still wonderful reading through your inspiration instilling experiences.
I happened to drive in pitch darkness once, coming out of Orange County in Coorg to the highway and it was scary with barely any soul around to ask for directions. But that was for an hour or so. Reading your overnight experience and driving through darkness with just 3 vehicles passing during the stretch - hard to fathom man! Hats off!

I am a huge star-gazing lover. Did you get any such opportunities to star gaze, considering you mostly had good weather?

I am planning on a Blr-Rajasthan-Blr trip this year end in my soon to arrive Tjet and hope to top it doing Leh-Ladakh next year. Time to save the 'leaves' up.

Rated your TL *****
andyonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 17:41   #160
AMP
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 21
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Rohit, this is one of my favorite travelogue on Leh-ladakh. you wont believe me, whenever I don't find anything interesting on internet to read, I open your travelogue and read it.

Also want to salute your Mom and Aunts who accompanied you for such a tough journey.

By the way, I have also met you during the Fiat factory visit. I was the one who met you in the parking lot
AMP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 21:10   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Fantastic travelogue. Somehow squeezing into the forum for reading Sathya and Hirat travelogues. Luckily, I saw yours today and just spent the last 3-4 hrs without skipping even a single line here in the entire lot of pages. Driving at night in those unpredictable high altitudes and unknown terrains with 3 woman folks....salute you for your guts and energy. Btw, what is the maximum hrs you spent on a car between source and destination including power naps, if any

Thanks for those Nice photographs & accommodation reviews.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 10:04   #162
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Thanks for sharing your TL.
Even though its a trip from last year, was still wonderful reading through your inspiration instilling experiences.
I happened to drive in pitch darkness once, coming out of Orange County in Coorg to the highway and it was scary with barely any soul around to ask for directions. But that was for an hour or so. Reading your overnight experience and driving through darkness with just 3 vehicles passing during the stretch - hard to fathom man! Hats off!

I am a huge star-gazing lover. Did you get any such opportunities to star gaze, considering you mostly had good weather?

I am planning on a Blr-Rajasthan-Blr trip this year end in my soon to arrive Tjet and hope to top it doing Leh-Ladakh next year. Time to save the 'leaves' up.

Rated your TL *****
Thanks Andy. Yes driving in the dark is one of the hardest if not THE hardest bit of driving I've ever done. Thinking about it now still gives me goosebumps. The look on army patrolling team's face when I woke them up in the middle of the night to remove the blockade was simple priceless.

The video posted on page 7 will just give you a glimpse of how desolate we were. And yes, it was at this very moment when I looked up at the sky for a moment and was completely awestruck. Stars as far as the eye can see yet they appear so near (probably an illusion or may be I was hallucinating whatever). This simply cannot be expressed in words. I tried hard to capture it on my camera, but couldn't get a decent shot.

And good luck for your Rajasthan trip. I had been there in my car and driving a T-jet on those silky smooth roads will be heavenly for sure. Apart from 'leaves', you may also have to start saving money for those humongous fuel bills courtesy those roads which makes you wanna drive flat out. Feel free to ask me any queries regarding routes/hotels etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
Rohit, this is one of my favorite travelogue on Leh-ladakh. you wont believe me, whenever I don't find anything interesting on internet to read, I open your travelogue and read it.

Also want to salute your Mom and Aunts who accompanied you for such a tough journey.

By the way, I have also met you during the Fiat factory visit. I was the one who met you in the parking lot
Thanks AMP. I'm just glad that my log still finds interest even after 1 year. I too remeber meeting you at the parking lot at Fiat's factory. We were the first 4 ~ 5 cars that came to the visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Fantastic travelogue. Somehow squeezing into the forum for reading Sathya and Hirat travelogues. Luckily, I saw yours today and just spent the last 3-4 hrs without skipping even a single line here in the entire lot of pages. Driving at night in those unpredictable high altitudes and unknown terrains with 3 woman folks....salute you for your guts and energy. Btw, what is the maximum hrs you spent on a car between source and destination including power naps, if any

Thanks for those Nice photographs & accommodation reviews.
Thanks Surprise. Yeah I did speak with Hirak sometime last year when his plans of driving to Leh was still in early stages. I'm so glad that his plan did materialize and is one of the all time best t-logs on team-bhp.

My longest time spent on a car was just shy of 24 hrs. It was a very long & tiring run from Haridwar in Uttarakhand to Himmatnagar in Gujarat. Started at 6.am in Haridwar and reached Himmatnagar next morning at 4 am.
rohittunga is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 13:29   #163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Excellent Rohit!! For you it may already be a year, but for me after reading its totally fresh . Your narration was fab.. loved every word and pic. And the risk taking abilities of a 22 yr old shows!!

You had posted a pic of 3M.. and its on 80ft road (correct?). Looks like we are neighbors.. I am near the aecs hall. We should meet sometime.
Nagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 19:20   #164
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
And good luck for your Rajasthan trip. I had been there in my car and driving a T-jet on those silky smooth roads will be heavenly for sure. Apart from 'leaves', you may also have to start saving money for those humongous fuel bills courtesy those roads which makes you wanna drive flat out. Feel free to ask me any queries regarding routes/hotels etc.
It's great you got to view stars that way. Did you try turning the lights off to see how dark it was? 'Cos that does momentarily freak the senses out.


And thanks for offering to help out w/ the route and hotels stuff. As that's exactly what i have started researching into - posted some queries here (Advise needed on Rajasthan road trip from Bangalore)- whenever you get some time. Thanks Rohit!
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 02:19   #165
VMB
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Rohit...Truly amazing...Your travelogue is a real inspiration to plan my Leh trip. But unfortunately on April,as you know, the roads are closed. Instead Im going to Bhutan & Sikkim now...That too in Fiat Linea

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2014 at 08:33. Reason: Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
VMB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working hard can kill you tsk1979 Shifting gears 34 24th August 2013 21:14
Help Needed , Can Chevrolet SRV explore Leh Ladakh Safari_Beast Route / Travel Queries 4 6th July 2011 14:23
Linea - Noise on hard cornering (only during right turns) jalsa777 Technical Stuff 5 28th March 2011 17:42
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009 MileCruncher Travelogues 156 2nd October 2009 08:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks