Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th September 2012, 12:40   #46
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You got me wrong there //M

I meant to say that if there is a Bihar - JH (maybe WB can be clubbed as well) Team BHP meet, then I would do that.

Bokaro/Ranchi/Jamshedpur to Purnea and back in a day...I can't even think about that.
Sorry my bad. Probably we can do that, like a meet somewhere in the middle of Bihar and Jharkhand. Maithon Dam could be good place for a meet. It is probably equidistant from Ranchi/Jamshedpur/Patna/Purnea.

There was some planning going on for a meet in Jamshedpur but it never really happened:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...time-ever.html (Jamshedpur Meet : 1st time ever.)
//M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 13:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritwikdey28 View Post
Lovely pics...
..do u have any idea about the road condition from Ranchi to Raipur via Gumla, I went through that stretch soon after Jharkhand and Chattisgarh were created and the road condition was awesome then..
Ritwik, that was twelve years ago, and a lot of things have changed in Chhattisgarh since then, the biggest amongst them is the road infrastructure. The roads in Chhattisgarh are far better than their counter part in Jharkhand.

About the road from Ranchi to Gumla, it was not good but not bad either in 2010 Dec. After Gumla it is NH 78 through Jashpur/Pathalgaon, the road is good even now. From Pathalgaon to Raigarh is toll road and well maintained. The whole streach in CG passes through dense forest which is naxal infested, but absolutely secure to pass in the daytime.

From Raigarh to Saraipalli you get NH 216 which is not very well maintained. Actually this streach has lot of patchwork making it uneven, othen than this there is no other issue. From Saraipalli you catch NH6 to Raipur, six laning of this road is almost complete but there are some diversions for which one needs to be careful.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 13:22   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Ranchi-Gumla-Raipur road is good at most stretches but heard it is totally unsafe as the region around Gumla and beyond are the hiding spots for the naxalites. I am planning to go to Netarhat soon so will update on the road conditions in that section if I go via Gumla.

Netarhat is a heaven just that its not maintained these days, have you been to Mccluskieganj, I have heard a lot about it...

Hey lets plan a team-bhp meet for the enthusiast in Bihar-Jharkhand..
We can have a trip where people from JH can join at Ranchi, BR join in at Patna/Gaya and both groups join in for a drive.. Maybe a 2 day trip if possible?

Friends from BR-JH please share your views.
ritwikdey28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 14:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Ritwik, that was twelve years ago, and a lot of things have changed in Chhattisgarh since then, the biggest amongst them is the road infrastructure. The roads in Chhattisgarh are far better than their counter part in Jharkhand.
=========
From Saraipalli you catch NH6 to Raipur, six laning of this road is almost complete but there are some diversions for which one needs to be careful.

How about the stretch from Ambikapur to Raipur? That road used to covered with dense forest alongside and travel during the day even required lights in some places where trees were extreme dense, we even saw hynas and deers last time and it was a very good adventure.
ritwikdey28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 16:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Probably we can do that, like a meet somewhere in the middle of Bihar and Jharkhand. Maithon Dam could be good place for a meet. It is probably equidistant from Ranchi/Jamshedpur/Patna/Purnea.
Quote:
We can have a trip where people from JH can join at Ranchi, BR join in at Patna/Gaya and both groups join in for a drive. Maybe a 2 day trip if possible?
I'm in if this is done sometime near Diwali.

I also suggest we start a separate T-BHP Bihar & Jharkhand thread - to get a rough idea of how many members we have from these states, then we can plan a meet accordingly.
m.shekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 17:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
How about the stretch from Ambikapur to Raipur? That road used to covered with dense forest alongside and travel during the day even required lights in some places where trees were extreme dense, we even saw hynas and deers last time and it was a very good adventure.
Raipur to Bilaspur strech was sufficiently good always. Now this strech is being converted into 4 lane road. I've travelled on this route upto Ratanpur, then to Amarkantak. I personally have never gone to Ambikapur, so Sorry can't make any further comment on the road ahead.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 20:13   #52
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Another panoramic shot of the valley.
Attached Thumbnails
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-264118_10151014568616423_270632280_n.jpg  

//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 23:31   #53
BANNED

I stay at Bokaro Steel City and been to varanasi from here multiple times. Even the NH of Golden Quadrilateral after entering Jharkhand from UP is awesome hilly area, feels like I am going to Genting Highlands in Malaysia. Ranchi to Ramgarh is also being renovated and is a good scenic route.
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 07:29   #54
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Ranchi to Ramgarh is also being renovated and is a good scenic route.
Ranchi-Ramgarh section is complete and is beautiful. I have done lot of early morning breakfast rides on my Classic 500 in this route during the monsoons and the early morning mist against the lush green landscapes and hills look mesmerising.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 07:42   #55
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more pics from the Pithoria-Patratu valley.

Landslide
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-img_0131.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-img_0133.jpg

Sign board in the landslide prone sections
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-img_0237.jpg

Two bicycles full of coal being pulled by a motorcycle
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-img_0138.jpg
Old 13th September 2012, 16:21   #56
BHPian

wow
Had been hearing about from a friend.
He recently left DRDO for a job with jharkhand government.
He got a Harley 883 and was posted to the power plant in patratu soon after.
Ranchi- patratu every week on the HD is pure bliss. I am so jealous
Hope to do this route asap

thanks a lot //M
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 22:45   #57
BHPian

Quote:
We can have a trip where people from JH can join at Ranchi, BR join in at Patna/Gaya and both groups join in for a drive.. Maybe a 2 day trip if possible?

I'm in guys! Never thought that a TBHP Ranchi meet would be possible, but here it is, the seed for it is already sown. A dream come true for me. Would it be alright to start a separate thread for this?

Quote:
Two bicycles full of coal being pulled by a motorcycle
Attachment 984882
That's a pretty interesting sight. Was just wondering, how do these bicycles apply brakes in case they need to?

Last edited by RevvMusic : 13th September 2012 at 22:53.
RevvMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 01:35   #58
BHPian

This is a beautiful pictolog. The loops of tarmac going into the valley look so inviting. Reminds me of an episode of Top Gear where the hosts took on the Transfgarasan highway in Romania.

Thanks for sharing the info.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 12:56   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely.

Did you mention drift? Here you go:

Attachment 984245
Looking at these amazing roads, it seems that there were plenty of bends and curves.. Heard that Fluidic Verna is not that confident in handling them?? Is that true?

Assuming that your Verna to be a diesel one, the fuel efficiency figures seems to be on the lower side !!
delix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 21:24   #60
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delix View Post
Looking at these amazing roads, it seems that there were plenty of bends and curves.. Heard that Fluidic Verna is not that confident in handling them?? Is that true?

Assuming that your Verna to be a diesel one, the fuel efficiency figures seems to be on the lower side !!
Yes the Verna cannot match the Fiesta for handling but it was decent in the hills. The Verna was a 1.6 SX Petrol version so I think the FE figures are fine. It also returned 17.5 kpl at one stretch.