Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd August 2014, 16:24   #106
BHPian

Default Re: The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
... the roads around Ranchi has improved to a great extent..
Hey! Just to introduce myself, Im a student of Business studies. Im currently at XLRI, Jamshedpur. Im looking to explore around Jharkhand, and stumbled upon your post. Can you tell me what the latest condition of the Ranchi-Patratu road is? Im very tempted by your pics, but I want to ensure that the roads havent gone bad. As it is, the Jamshedpur Ranchi ride isnt the most comfortable one. So I just want to ensure that there is some reward in terms of good tarmac from Ranchi onwards.
Planning to do this as a one day outing from Jamshedpur-Ranchi-Patratu-Ranchi-Jamshedpur. Would like your thoughts/advice on the plan!
kaushik60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:32   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
Hey! Just to introduce myself, Im a student of Business studies. Im currently at XLRI, Jamshedpur. Im looking to explore around Jharkhand, and stumbled upon your post. Can you tell me what the latest condition of the Ranchi-Patratu road is? Im very tempted by your pics, but I want to ensure that the roads havent gone bad. As it is, the Jamshedpur Ranchi ride isnt the most comfortable one. So I just want to ensure that there is some reward in terms of good tarmac from Ranchi onwards.
Planning to do this as a one day outing from Jamshedpur-Ranchi-Patratu-Ranchi-Jamshedpur. Would like your thoughts/advice on the plan!
Let me have the privilege to answer that one. The road from Ranchi to Patratu is still among the best roads in the region. You can plan your trip without worrying about the road surface. The only word of caution from my side would be to reach Ranchi before sunset, as Patratu is naxal infested. No problems during the day.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd August 2014 at 16:50. Reason: typo
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:11   #108
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Let me have the privilege to answer that one. The road from Ranchi to Patratu is still among the best roads in the region. You can plan your trip without worrying about the road surface. The only word of caution from my side would be to reach Ranchi before sunset, as Patratu is naxal infested. No problems during the day.

Regards,
Saket
I think Saket Sir has well summarized the road conditions. It is indeed one amazing stretch of tarmac. Go ahead with your plan. One day will be enough if you start early from Jamshedpur.

Ideally you can do Jamshedpur-Ranchi-Patratu-Ramgarh-Ranchi-Jamshedpur, or if you really fall in love with the Ranchi-Patratu road (which I am sure you will do), you can do Ranchi-Patratu-Ranchi and then continue to Jamshedpur.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:52   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I think Saket Sir has.....continue to Jamshedpur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Let me have the privilege to answer that one..... No problems during the day.

Regards,
Saket
Hey folks!
Thanks a lot for your response. Will definitely do this one of the upcoming weekends. Also, I've been looking someone who can tell me about the interesting places around Jharkhand. I've searched but have found very little literature online about these parts. I will ping you in case I need any help. Thanks again!
Kaushik
Old 3rd August 2014, 02:34   #110
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks!
Thanks a lot for your response. Will definitely do this one of the upcoming weekends. Also, I've been looking someone who can tell me about the interesting places around Jharkhand. I've searched but have found very little literature online about these parts. I will ping you in case I need any help. Thanks again!
Kaushik
Hi Kaushik,

Having explored a few places around Ranchi, I would say that this is probably the best time to see those places. The monsoons are perfect: no tourists, scenic landscapes.

A few places that are just a day's trip from Ranchi are mentioned as follows:

1. Patratu
2. Dassam Falls
3. Hundru Falls
4. Jonha Falls
5. Sita Falls
6. Hirni Falls
7. Panchghag
8. Getalsud Dam
9. Rukka Dam
10. Dhurwa Dam (or Hatia Dam)
11. Chandil Dam
12. Maithon Dam
13. Rajrappa
14. Itkhori (from Jamshedpur, it will be a 2-day trip with a night's stopover at Hazaribagh)
15. Tenughat
16. Tilaiya Dam (from Jamshedpur, it will be a 2-day trip with a night's stopover at Hazaribagh)
17. Konar Reservoir
18. Parasnath (from Jamshedpur, it will be a 2-day trip with a night's stopover at Hazaribagh/Dumri)
19. Baghmunda
20. Sun Temple and Deori Mandir

Netarhat, Lodh Falls and Betla Forest are also amazing places to explore, but would need atleast a couple of days. The ideal route should be Jamshedpur-Ranchi-Bero (you can take the Ring Road exit before entering Ranchi and take the Ring Road to exit at the Gumla road to reach Bero) -Lohardaga-Ghagra-Netarhat-Mahuatarh-Lodh Falls-Mahuatarh-Betla-Ranchi-Jamshedpur
//M is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:37   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kaushik,
....Jamshedpur
Woah! Thats quite a list Never really though there would be so much to explore around these parts. Thanks a ton! Now to sit and plan
Old 4th August 2014, 14:24   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Few pics of Tilaiya Dam.

Terrific 4-laned highway from Ranchi to Barhi with fast straights and inviting corners. The last few kms from Barhi to Tilaiya Dam is a 2-lane section with smooth surface.
Hi //M

Have been reading a lot from you and it does keeps us excited.

Thanks for bringing the photographs of Reservoir side of Tilaya Dam,
taken from Barhi- Tiliya Road.

Whenever I travel to Patna from Kolkata or Bokaro, I stop by for some soothing moments. Pity that it still do not have any Dhaba or Tea shop around.

In 1990s on way from Kolkata, I use to pass this stretch in evening and use to carry some Pakodas & Tea from Barhi Market. Stop after bridge, spread a bed-sheet and fall in Love.

Have you travelled beyond Tilaya ? Crossing Koderma Valley is another sweet experience with good Dhabas around.
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:11   #113
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi //M

Have been reading a lot from you and it does keeps us excited.

Thanks for bringing the photographs of Reservoir side of Tilaya Dam,
taken from Barhi- Tiliya Road.

Whenever I travel to Patna from Kolkata or Bokaro, I stop by for some soothing moments. Pity that it still do not have any Dhaba or Tea shop around.

In 1990s on way from Kolkata, I use to pass this stretch in evening and use to carry some Pakodas & Tea from Barhi Market. Stop after bridge, spread a bed-sheet and fall in Love.

Have you travelled beyond Tilaya ? Crossing Koderma Valley is another sweet experience with good Dhabas around.
Hello Sir,

I have been beyond Tilaiya multiple times and yes the Koderma Valley is beautiful specially during the monsoons. However, the last time I travelled in this road was some 4 years back and IIRC the road conditions weren't really great back then plus negotiating traffic was another task.

Any updates about the current road conditions to Patna beyond Tilaiya Dam?
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:31   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sir,

Any updates about the current road conditions to Patna beyond Tilaiya Dam?
Hi

Last time I used this Road was Nov-13 a day before Diwali. I was doing Bokaro-Patna.

Off Late (since last 4-5 years) we had started taking NH-2 to Dobhi and therafter to Patna Via Bodh Gaya as this road has come up quite well and old Route via Koderma- Nawada- Biharsarif had become crowded with frequent truck Jams.

But last year, I wanted to eat out after Koderma valley. (Well I find it fun to eat & others things in deserted & Scenic Location )
So took this Route.

To my surprise the Barhi-Tiliya has turned great (as seen in your photograph). Thereafter till Bihar Sarif it was equally good but crowded whenever you approach a village or small town.

Bhakhtiyarpur-Phatua- Patna is horrible and full of traffic Jam.
God knows how long they will take to make this road. Here 4-lanning is going on since many years.

We did take some known shortcut & avoided Bhakhtiyarpur-Phatua portion but could not avoid Phatua-Patna.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:46   #115
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi

Last time I used this Road was Nov-13 a day before Diwali. I was doing Bokaro-Patna.

Off Late (since last 4-5 years) we had started taking NH-2 to Dobhi and therafter to Patna Via Bodh Gaya as this road has come up quite well and old Route via Koderma- Nawada- Biharsarif had become crowded with frequent truck Jams.

But last year, I wanted to eat out after Koderma valley. (Well I find it fun to eat & others things in deserted & Scenic Location )
So took this Route.

To my surprise the Barhi-Tiliya has turned great (as seen in your photograph). Thereafter till Bihar Sarif it was equally good but crowded whenever you approach a village or small town.

Bhakhtiyarpur-Phatua- Patna is horrible and full of traffic Jam.
God knows how long they will take to make this road. Here 4-lanning is going on since many years.

We did take some known shortcut & avoided Bhakhtiyarpur-Phatua portion but could not avoid Phatua-Patna.
Yes the roads in Jharkhand and Bihar have improved significantly. But sadly some portions are bone-jarring, and the worst part is that in these sections due to land disputes the road construction work gets stalled for a good number of years.

The Ranchi-Jamshedpur-Baharagora stretch also needs a major makeover. The road widening process has started and I hope we will have a smooth wide surface in a couple of years. It will significantly reduce the time of travel too. Usually this 200 kms stretch takes around 5 hours to cover in its current state. Hopefully this should come down to 3 hours once the 4-lane widening completes.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 22:29   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Jharkhand experts,
I've always wanted to do (ie never done it) by road the equivalent of the railway route from Koderma to Gaya, esp the Gujhandi - Gurpa section. Is it possible to do so? Any roads?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 4th August 2014 at 22:31.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 10:47   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi Jharkhand experts,
I've always wanted to do (ie never done it) by road the equivalent of the railway route from Koderma to Gaya, esp the Gujhandi - Gurpa section. Is it possible to do so? Any roads?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta da,

Koderma, (you know is same as Tilaiya/ Jhumri Tilaiya), but Gujhandi and Gurpa are small villages, though the later has some Buddhist significance too. Google maps do not show any direct route from Gujhandi to Gurpa, but if your interest lies in the ghat section (I believe so), you can travel through the Rajouli ghati (also known as Koderma ghati) which has a nice, long & scenic ghat section and reach these places. There is probably no direct road link from Gujhandi to Gurpa. When progressing from Koderma on NH-31 towards Nawada, you will have to take a left to enter the SH-70. The road surface, when I traveled through NH-31 about a couple of years ago was just fine;(though nothing exotic), but I have no idea about the surface of SH-70.

Here is the route map:

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-gg.jpg

Last edited by saket77 : 5th August 2014 at 10:52.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 10:52   #118
BHPian

Hi Sutripta,

Well there is a good road connecting Gujhandi to Tiliya.
It was very good 2 lane road 2 years back. I inquired today & found that it is still good.

There is no proper road connecting Gurpa to Gujhandi (Not known to me or my local friend in Tiliya).
Gurpa area is a dense forest & infected with Naxalites. You may recall that in Gujandi-Gurpa section, Naxalites had blown up the railway track before Kolkata Rajdhani to arrive.

Nevertheless, I personally found this section to be very scenic and have even got down before some tunnel, when the train stopped after Gurpa.

If you want to go to Gaya from Koderama, I would suggest to take Patna Road till Rajauli and turn for Gaya as this route has good spots on the way.

However people wanting good speed travel through GQ take Koderma-Barhi-Dobhi- Gaya. This is better road but you miss other things

Last edited by Wanderers : 5th August 2014 at 10:54.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 11:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kaushik,
A few places that are just a day's trip from Ranchi are mentioned as follows:
1. Patratu
2. Dassam Falls
3. Hundru Falls
4. Jonha Falls
5. Sita Falls
6. Hirni Falls
7. Panchghag
I have had some great times when I was a kid studying at Ranchi at these places. Used to be a blast of picnics. There were just so many places you could go for a day trip. At that time we literally had no fear whatsoever.
Now with the way Ranchi has evolved, even though I dearly want to go to these places with my family, I can almost anticipate the rowdies lazying around these places as well. Hence you stick to places where the crowds go.
Jharkhand has some of the best scenery on offer. God has given it blessed the state with nature & wildlife. Its the humans who are in the process of decimating it - and the nonchalant attitude of its inhabitants has hastened the process. What a pity!
This thread though allows me to relive some of my memories. Thanks!
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 11:42   #120
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Now with the way Ranchi has evolved, even though I dearly want to go to these places with my family, I can almost anticipate the rowdies lazying around these places as well. Hence you stick to places where the crowds go.
Jharkhand has some of the best scenery on offer. God has given it blessed the state with nature & wildlife. Its the humans who are in the process of decimating it - and the nonchalant attitude of its inhabitants has hastened the process. What a pity!
This thread though allows me to relive some of my memories. Thanks!
Hi Pratyush,

While I understand your perception is right, but in the last 2 years I have explored these places around Ranchi in every season almost every few days (weekdays, weekends, daytime, night-time, middle-of-the-night time, anytime, anyday) solo/with friends/with family on two-wheels/four-wheels multiple times over and over again and again. Not even once did I feel that the locals may cause any kind of trouble to a traveller.

Most of the places are underrated and only a few tourists specially from Bengal come visiting these places. Infact the locals are quite happy to help the tourists. The only issue that a traveller will face is the lack of repair shops if anything goes wrong in their vehicles. But there are plenty of fuel pumps everywhere with a fair number of puncture repair shops in every village so minor issues can be taken care of. After 7-7.30 pm no repair shops are open except in major towns and that is the reason why I have repeatedly mentioned in this thread that travelling at night is not advisable.

Jharkhand Govt has developed a few rest houses, steps, shades wherever needed in these tourist spots. Add to that the amazing roads that lead the tourists to these unexlpored places. There are people appointed to take care of the parking in most places. Ofcourse they charge Rs 20-30 per vehicle. Plus most of the waterfalls have enough dhabas around except Hirni Falls and Sita Falls.

It is indeed a naxalite region and I am not saying that Jharkhand is extremely safe for tourists, but it is surely way safer than what people assume. Nowadays atleast in the major highways police patroling takes place at nights regularly.

There are rowdies everywhere, I saw loads of them packed in Bolero's and Sumo's in Malshej Ghat last weekend and Malshej Ghat is one place where almost who's who of Mumbai and Pune frequent to on a weekend during the monsoons. They were drunk and created a nuisance by ripping apart each other's shirts and playing loud music which irritated the people who were with their families.

IMO Jharkhand is a very underrated state as far as tourism is concerned and it is well-understood why it has been this way. I sincerely hope the Govt takes steps to make these places more tourist-friendly.

Please let me know if you need any help regarding the road conditions or stay options in these places. I do not stay in Ranchi anymore but I would be more than glad to help you in any way I can.

Regards,
Arunabh

Last edited by //M : 5th August 2014 at 11:45.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote