Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th January 2013, 16:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Nanda Devi affair

Tapish, now that is really rocking...Out of words, incredible tour, trek , travel...Glad you did & wrote this.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 18:15   #17
BHPian

this is beautiful. You should have made the travelogue longer. This is a dream trek, what you have done. Type out some more, all information/experiences/thoughts are appreciated!
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 21:43   #18
BHPian

Thanks saket and manolin for the kind words. It was surely a surreal experience. Will dig out more pics soon.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 13:10   #19
Team-BHP Support

Tapish, what is the name of the village where you can park your car to start this trek.
If you just want to do 10kms one way, what good place can be reached?
Plan is to trek for 4-5 hours, camp and then come back the next day
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 14:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tapish, what is the name of the village where you can park your car to start this trek.
If you just want to do 10kms one way, what good place can be reached?
Plan is to trek for 4-5 hours, camp and then come back the next day
Tanveer Sir,

The trrek starts from Dhapa village that is 10 km from Munsiyari. I would however suggest that you park your car at Munsiyari and take a cab to Dhapa. It will charge you about 1000 for both drop and pick up next day. Your car will be safer at Munsiyari.

Second, I wont suggest this trek for a 10 km duration. You can reach Lilam, but there's not much to see there. The beauty of this trek starts after 25 kms.

For a short trek, you can consider Khalia top in Munsiyari. Less than 9 kms, and amazing Panchachuli view from the Top. Right now, it will be snowing too.

but you can also look at Triund in Himachal. 7 kms trek and amazing place to camp.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 13th January 2013, 15:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Tanveer Sir,

The trrek starts from Dhapa village that is 10 km from Munsiyari. I would however suggest that you park your car at Munsiyari and take a cab to Dhapa. It will charge you about 1000 for both drop and pick up next day. Your car will be safer at Munsiyari.

Second, I wont suggest this trek for a 10 km duration. You can reach Lilam, but there's not much to see there. The beauty of this trek starts after 25 kms.

For a short trek, you can consider Khalia top in Munsiyari. Less than 9 kms, and amazing Panchachuli view from the Top. Right now, it will be snowing too.

but you can also look at Triund in Himachal. 7 kms trek and amazing place to camp.

Cheers,
Tapish
Oh, the dhapa bent. We did khuliya top on this trip. KMVN has finished construction of the hotel there. Will be an awesome place to stay!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 13:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oh, the dhapa bent. We did khuliya top on this trip. KMVN has finished construction of the hotel there. Will be an awesome place to stay!
Surely sir,

Infact if you note, the small hotel where we stayed at Rilkot where one room was washed away by the avalance was also constructed by KMVN (Post #4 on this thread). They plan to have these small rest houses at Bogdyar, Lilam, Rilkot and Pachu (Last village before Milam) Would be of immense help to the trekkers.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 16th January 2013, 06:22   #23
Team-BHP Support

Amazing log Tapish. Though I did not want it to end, but nothing like a crisp account with all the elements thrown in there!

PS: I have most of Bill Aitken's books. So when I saw the title of your log, I was half expecting what was coming!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 11:03   #24
BHPian

Brilliant stuff dude!
Hats off to your friend Chetan for completing the trip even after getting the injury.

Your hilly billy nature is going to come in handy to me, I see that

Thanks for pointing me to the thread.
I enjoyed the read.
Look forward to more soon.

Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 22:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
PS: I have most of Bill Aitken's books. So when I saw the title of your log, I was half expecting what was coming!
Thank you Sir, I am yet to read his other books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Brilliant stuff dude!
Hats off to your friend Chetan for completing the trip even after getting the injury.
Right. Though it was foolish on our part to force him against the elements. Lesson learnt.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 18th January 2013, 08:04   #26
BHPian

This is awesome ! I know it takes lot of effort to write a travelogue & pictures tell the most of the story.

Some pictures of the mountain & you guys standing in the background (I say cause I felt that way) are awesome.

Congratulations on a great experience!
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 12:12   #27
Team-BHP Support

Excellent Travelogue Tapish and some of the snaps are superb.

I wish to undertake a trek sometime in near future in the mountains...Iam sure it will be a lot of fun
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 22:03   #28
BHPian

Thanks people for the amazing response.

Adding some pics and some guidelines for trekking.

Trekking: To do's and avoidables

1. Research the trek: Route/ Alternate routes/ Guides/ Days required. Nothing helps better than knowledge. We made a slight error in judgement and booked an entire crew. Later we realised that we could have done without half of those.

2. Do not run against a deadline: We were running a very strict timeline. It allowed us very little margin for any delays. The result was that we literally forced a teammate to trudge 25 kms in a day with a sprained leg. It was later discovered to be a muscle tear and the person had to be on a bed rest till later.

3. Don't overestimate capabilities: We had planned the trek with a target of about 25 kms per day +/- 3 kms. We ourselves had never done so much. The maximum I had done was 15 kms per day, and Abhishek and Nikhil had done 18 kms per day. We were stretching ourselves, but nothing prepared us for the next. Nikhil's friend had zero trek experience. It was really difficult for him to complete.

4. Carry all essentials: Two days into the trek we realised that we weren't carrying a tissue roll. To use the glacier water (freezing to say the least) for daily chore was a task in itself
Also, at Martoli, Abhishek caught a cold, and I had stomach ache. We were carrying all medicines but for these.

5. Grade the trek: Build up gradually. Before attempting a medium grade long trek, do acquaint yourself with the sport. A couple of short treks will tell you if you are fit to take longer ones.

6. Fitness: As above, Fitness is a must. Belly flab or overall obesity does not matter much, what matters is stamina. Do indulge in strength building exercises.

7. Waterproof shoes: Are good till the water does not go in. Then they are difficult, if not impossible to dry. Carry a light spare pair.

8. Trek light: You will be carrying everything on your backpack. Even a spare lens will be difficult to justify at that level.

Going ahead with the pics:

A local lady at Ganghar village demonstrates her home brewery.
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0613.jpg

Walking up the final stretch above Ganghar.
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0627.jpg

The mountain on our side.
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0684.jpg

A close-up of the Nanda Devi East demonstrating facial features. The ridge is about 5 kms from the base camp. We planned to go there but had to cancel as the guide suggested that visibility from there would not be great due to excessive fog near the base. But, the place is marked. I know where I need to go next.
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0798.jpg

The photographer in action
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0802.jpg

Waiting for the morning tea
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0842.jpg

The shelter. Our kitchen and store
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0886.jpg

The boundary of the Martoli village. Strong winds erode the line every year.
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0931.jpg

The colors of the valley
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0979.jpg

Our window in Martoli. On a good day, the Nanda Kot is visible straight up
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0988.jpg

Cheers,
Taps
Tapish is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Ganghar final stretch photo is lovely. Conveys the atmosphere of such a trek very well.

How many kilos were each of you carrying?

Basic medicine and toilet rolls are usually the first items on the check list
nilanjanray is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 18:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Ganghar final stretch photo is lovely. Conveys the atmosphere of such a trek very well.

How many kilos were each of you carrying?

Basic medicine and toilet rolls are usually the first items on the check list
Thanks Sir, we were carrying about 10- 15 kgs each. As for the paper rolls, we assumed the guide would have them

Saw the Himalaya closeups in your travelogue. Amazing stuff. I tried to do an ultimate close up of the peak. here's what I could manage.
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100159.jpg

--------------

Some more pics:

The Brijganga Pass in the evening
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0989.jpg

Another close mountain.. Forgot the name
The Nanda Devi affair-img_0992.jpg

MArtoli village. If ever you meet a Martoliya- he belongs to this beautiful land.
The Nanda Devi affair-img_1032.jpg

Way to Munsyari..
The Nanda Devi affair-p1090751.jpg

The ITBP. Met a senior ITBP officer there who said, "Im not happy with roads being built here. The Chinese have already built roads to the border. If they ever decide to attack, they can easily approach the mainland"
The Nanda Devi affair-p1090908.jpg

The Nahardevi Valley
The Nanda Devi affair-p1090932.jpg

Notice my friend Abhishek standing in the left bottom. That's how big this waterfall was.
The Nanda Devi affair-p1090958.jpg

The Grasslands. Grass here sticks together in tufts to avoid being blown away by the strong winds.
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100005.jpg

Also, it is extremely slippery. Abhishek was lucky (and experienced), he got hold of the grass pretty quickly
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100081.jpg

The clouds encircle the Johar Valley
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100136.jpg

The Final Destination
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100148.jpg

The Nanda Devi affair-p1100177.jpg

The Martoli plateau overlooking the entire Johar Valley
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100257.jpg

Martoli
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100274.jpg

Early morning rays
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100299.jpg

The lizard again. On our last day, the valley was extremely hot. I had sunburns by evening. These popped out of nowhere and made the walk amazingly difficult. I asked an ITBP guy there if this was harmful. He says "agar hoti to pata chal jata" English: "If it had been harmful, you would have known by now"
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100322.jpg

The last sunrise at Munsyari over the Panchachuli.
The Nanda Devi affair-p1100333.jpg

Thanks a lot guys,

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote