Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th September 2013, 12:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Raiding the Himalayas - Swift style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Hi Humyum

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I did Leh trip in my swift 2 weeks back. When I crossed Zozi la it had rained 4-5 days continuously. It was very slushy and even some Innovas got stuck. I stalled my car couple of times on the steep slope and remembered each and every word you had said. It behaved exactly the same way you had said. Dumping the clutch at 4k doesn’t help here. I stopped there for few minutes and observed the Innova Taxi drivers. They were doing that section at 5KMph-10Kmph without any momentum advantage. Off course they have more torque and better torque characteristics than us.

After observing them, instead of revving high till 3.5k -4k and dumping the clutch I started to slip the clutch (to avoid stall) at lower RPM till I get momentum. This technique worked very well and never had any problem thereafter. At Chang la there is even steeper section with rocks all around, somehow I managed to overcome that section. Was really scared at that point. I think slipping the clutch at lower RPM for a few seconds doesn’t harm much. Now my swift had done 85k and clutch seems to be alright.

Old Swift Diesel on Highway and Hills are completely different animals.
Glad my travelogue helped. True true, when you cannot always stop and rev it up, you have to start slipping the clutch. I did that a lot of times too.

Yes, true, a Swift diesel as much as it can be fun on the highways, on the hills, its like turbo lag raised to N.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:53   #77

Absolutely stunning!! Love the pics! and thank you sooo much for sharing it with us! Reading it finished 3/4th of the journey for me! and which camera and what wide angle glass did you use?
Cezond666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 05:56   #78

Hi Sir, (I suddenly feel the need to call you 'Sir' after reading about such a breathtaking and immersive description)

Given the freedom of choice (although a budget of 10-12 lacs), which car (and modifications) would you advice for such a demanding trip?

I am planning for an addition to my garage to accompany the lone Santro and my choice can totally be swayed by the ability of it to get through this trip.

It is absolutely going to the top of my bucket list! Hats off to you for the photography and in-depth explanations!
openwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 01:02   #79
BHPian

Wow humyum, cool travelogue you've written down there.

BTW that's some really amazing photography. I stopped reading the travelogue halfway just to login and complement you on your skills with a camera. You've just inspired me to take a photography course this summer

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to reading the rest of your travelogue
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 11:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezond666 View Post
Absolutely stunning!! Love the pics! and thank you sooo much for sharing it with us! Reading it finished 3/4th of the journey for me! and which camera and what wide angle glass did you use?
Thank you for the kind words. I used a 550 D with a 10-20 Sigma attached with a circular poloriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwindows View Post
Hi Sir, (I suddenly feel the need to call you 'Sir' after reading about such a breathtaking and immersive description)

Given the freedom of choice (although a budget of 10-12 lacs), which car (and modifications) would you advice for such a demanding trip?

I am planning for an addition to my garage to accompany the lone Santro and my choice can totally be swayed by the ability of it to get through this trip.

It is absolutely going to the top of my bucket list! Hats off to you for the photography and in-depth explanations!
Thank you, You really made my day, I am just an amateur photographer though.

I would recommend a Mahindra up in the hills if you like SUV's, A Xylo or a Scorpio ( since XUV is a little more than the budget you quoted) or an MPV in the form of an Innova or an Ertiga. I have seen mostly the taxi guys here drive Innova's and Xylo's with the 2nd number most seen was the Scorpio although lesser in number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Wow humyum, cool travelogue you've written down there.

BTW that's some really amazing photography. I stopped reading the travelogue halfway just to login and complement you on your skills with a camera. You've just inspired me to take a photography course this summer

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to reading the rest of your travelogue
Thanks man, I am glad you liked it. Maybe I ll do it again in a year or two, in a better car if I can afford one that time or again in the Swift, although I plan to do Mumbai to Bangkok in the Swift itself even thought I might have an SUV in my garage as the doing the India to Thailand run has always been imagined in the Swift.
Old 12th April 2014, 19:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Thanks man, I am glad you liked it. Maybe I ll do it again in a year or two, in a better car if I can afford one that time or again in the Swift, although I plan to do Mumbai to Bangkok in the Swift itself even thought I might have an SUV in my garage as the doing the India to Thailand run has always been imagined in the Swift.
Cool man, yeah Mumbai to Bangkok is gonna be another awesome experience, SUV or no SUV. Swift is a really capable car indeed.

Slightly I was looking at your Swift's thread, you seem to have had a lot of problems with your ride in its early days. How's it doing now?
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 10:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Cool man, yeah Mumbai to Bangkok is gonna be another awesome experience, SUV or no SUV. Swift is a really capable car indeed.

Slightly I was looking at your Swift's thread, you seem to have had a lot of problems with your ride in its early days. How's it doing now?
Hey, Yes Swift is quite a capable car as long as you take care of it to the T. The Thailand Trip is something I want to do as soon as the road opens. Not wait even for a day.

Yes, Initial one year or so were quite problem some, but then it was smooth sailing throughout. The parts are not that expensive, so I change whatever needs to be changed to keep her as good as new. Its 92 thousand kilometers now and the car is running as good as new.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Name:  final__1416201914_24019 1.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  117.1 KB

Was browsing through my laptop and came across this picture and realized that I had not uploaded it. I have re-sized the picture and hence the quality has gone down a bit, the original file was 15 mb in size.

This was on the highway before Kargil on the Leh side.

The car came home after the trip at 58000 km, now its at 1 lakh 4 thousand km and still runs well.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 15:49   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Attachment 1309464

The car came home after the trip at 58000 km, now its at 1 lakh 4 thousand km and still runs well.
Hi Humyam, I can vouch for this car as my father also drives this car and has absolutely been loving it. I was so impressed with the performance that I also got one.

It was one hell of a TL. I have a swift Dzire Petrol and planning of doing Leh this september. What are your thoughts on the performance of a petrol car up in the hills? I would love to hear about it from a person who has done a similar trip. I plan to get a sump guard in Pune to have that mental peace.

Once again, an amazing TL.
YoungSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 12:55   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
Hi Humyam, I can vouch for this car as my father also drives this car and has absolutely been loving it. I was so impressed with the performance that I also got one.

It was one hell of a TL. I have a swift Dzire Petrol and planning of doing Leh this september. What are your thoughts on the performance of a petrol car up in the hills? I would love to hear about it from a person who has done a similar trip. I plan to get a sump guard in Pune to have that mental peace.

Hey, Sorry for the late reply. Don't know how I missed this post. My car right now stands at 1 lakh 26 thousand km, when I went to Leh, it was at 52 thousand kilometers and we came back at around 59 thousand.

I don't think you should have a problem with a petrol car, just be careful with the clutch though on passes like the Zozilla, a Diesel has a beefier pressure plate/clutch plate and can take much more abuse then what a petrol's clutch can take.

The sump guard thing I researched a lot, could not find anything as of yet, please let me know if you do find something as I want to get one too just for the additional peace of mind.

I found two more pictures of from my Ladakh trip, let me post them. Forgive the quality, had to heavily resize them to meet the forum uploading file size limit

This was on the way to Srinagar, around 50 kilometres or so from the Jawahar Tunnel

Raiding the Himalayas - Swift style!-onthewaytosrinagar.jpg

A cat was sitting like a model on almost the top end part of the Thiksey Monastery and did not care how ever close I went to click her pictures. I managed to get this with the 10-20 mm Sigma, so you can imagine how close I would be to her

Raiding the Himalayas - Swift style!-cat.jpg

This was a chance picture one one of the secluded monasteries around 20 kilometres from Leh. A local black Alto was already parked there so I thought, WHY NOT use this opportunity to click a black and white car with the amazing background. The result was that I spent a long time to get the perfect shot and in the bargain my friend visited the monastery and came back and I did not click even a single picture of it nor could get a chance to go inside, but I guess, we love our cars too much to put anything above them.

Raiding the Himalayas - Swift style!-carmonastery.jpg

This is a picture I clicked while going on the highway to Kargil, just about 30 kilometres after we left Srinagar.
Attached Thumbnails
Raiding the Himalayas - Swift style!-onthewaytokargil.jpg  

Old 31st July 2016, 19:22   #86
BHPian

Very inspiring jouney and wonderful photography. Swift is a real champion as far as performance goes. No wonder its the first choice among the enthusiasts. More power to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post

I am also planning for September trip to Leh in XUV 500. We would be four friends and the trip has been hanging in dilemma for over a decade and this time we are committed to execute this trip. Hope to see you there. will share the info before leaving. Most likely it will be from 02-11 Sep from Delhi.
dinesh6481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:55   #87
BANNED

Just came across this thread and was just glued to it till the end. It was like me having a trip to leh & ladakh. Was this entire trip driven by you or your friend also drove the car? If it was only you then it's another feather on the cap.

Last edited by vdm295 : 2nd August 2016 at 20:57.
vdm295 is offline   Reply With Quote