Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 09:24   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

wonderful journey and lovely pics Anshuman, doing it in Laura is an achievement.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 09:25   #152
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,018 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Since we kept out plans open we never made any bookings in advance. This time around we found a place near the market to stay, a well maintained Guest house with clean carpeted large rooms at a super VFM price, only catch was there was no room service, we did not need it.

The next day was spent shopping and lazing around in Leh.

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8876.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8877.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8881.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8882.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8883.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8884.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8885.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8888.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8893.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8895.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8899.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8901.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8902.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8903.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8905.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:05   #153
BHPian
 
shabash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

What are the best times in the year to travel to this region? My usual vacations are in Dec of every year, but Is it advisable due to the cold?
shabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:21   #154
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,018 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
What are the best times in the year to travel to this region? My usual vacations are in Dec of every year, but Is it advisable due to the cold?
Not sure about the winters, BHPian RKbharat(he commented on top of this page) traveled to Ladakh last winters, he will be the best person to guide you.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:52   #155
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,018 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Time to start the journey back home. The plan before the trip was to take the same easier Srinagar route on the way back again, but now this plan seemed boring because we did this route on our way to Ladakh and taking this route again would be very boring.

Going by my chat with various people, some locals and some tourists, I was thinking of whether or not to take the Manali route. As per others guidance, this route was considerably worse, with non existent road at many places and hard to clear obstacles and above all the Rohtang la mess, which was told tom be pure SUV territory. But, my memories from last time were fresh, this route is very scenic, extremely beautiful at place, something I did not want to miss.

Last moment decided to take the risk. Woke up early morning to find fresh drizzle in Leh and Snow fall high up,, including Khardung La(we missed it :( ). Started our journey at 7am, got the tank filled till the brim as there was be no fuel bunk on this route and had a good heavy breakfast(we expected no eatery either).

Initial few kilometers were at good road but with no oncoming traffic, seems like not many people take this route these days except bikers and local taxis.

The roads at Tanglang la were awesome, the first pass we came across which had good roads(atleast on the climb from the Leh side). It was Snowing in at the time of our climb, a cloudy day but very beautiful.

Suddenly Laura threw in a warning, possibility of the Ice on the road warning with large 3 degrees Celsius display on MFD, never saw warning this even in temperatures lower than this on plains, not sure what was the criteria for this trigger but the guess was close, there was some frozen water we could see.

Initially when this warning came on and i heard the chime, my heart sank instantly, the warning sound was similar to the low fuel alert.

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8911.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8912.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8913.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8914.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8915.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8916.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8918.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8919.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8924.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8926.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 16:28   #156
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,018 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

We had crossed Tanglang la by 1045hrs. Majority of the section beyond Tanglang la was bad except for some freshly laid tarmac.

At Moreh plains there were diversions for most part and some of them were bad, at one diversion which was good enough for just one vehicle at a time, a oncoming truck refused to stop at a safe spot so that we can pass safely, as a result we had take the car off the path with deep sand, with the accelerator floored to maintain the momentum and all the available horses on duty we barely managed to cross without getting stuck with some drama and lots of wheelspin, we were lucky there were no stones hidden in the sand to damage the underbody.

The roads to each and every pass on this road after Tanglang la were in bad condition, some of them even required crawling in 2nd gear for hours.

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8930.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8932.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8933.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8934.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8935.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8937.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8940.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8941.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8957.jpg

Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue-dsc_8958.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 16:14   #157
BHPian
 
shomshree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 106
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th October 2012 at 19:37.
shomshree is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th November 2012, 08:35   #158
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Roads while coming down from Chang la were equally worse but were decent after the descend. We continued, taking breaks at places and finally stopped for snacking at this makeshift retaurant with a view and a stream flowing nearby. Vegetable Maggi was delicious and reasonably priced.
May be they had done some patch work there after June. Coming down from Changla towards Pangong was really horrible. Innova's bottom touched stones few time despite having practically no load in the car.

Yes, that make shift restaurant was doing brisk business then also. I think it's more of a mandatory stop after covering such horrible stretch.

Fantastic capture Anshu! Pics are super lively and vivid. Great show!!
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:34   #159
BHPian
 
sami316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Amazing pics Anshuman. Your lens has captured the beauty of this wonderland we call Ladakh to a large extend. The pics are so good that you actually feel like you are there. Thanks for sharing these fabulous pics again. I so badly want to go here but I guess only God knows when its going to materialize.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 15:54   #160
BHPian
 
A.G.The Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 120
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
  1. You can fly in to Delhi and get self drive rental SUVs from Delhi.
If known to you, could you please let us know what would be the approx. charge for hiring a self drive rental SUV? I own a Manza and would definitely take my Manza to Leh though the underbody cover is not there. I will be fitting a good pair of sump guards for that, just asked you for curiosity sake about the rent.

Last edited by A.G.The Rambler : 29th January 2013 at 15:59.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 17:02   #161
BHPian
 
davidashish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
If known to you, could you please let us know what would be the approx. charge for hiring a self drive rental SUV? I own a Manza and would definitely take my Manza to Leh though the underbody cover is not there. I will be fitting a good pair of sump guards for that, just asked you for curiosity sake about the rent.

Buddy I salute your courage !!

Hats Off
davidashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:49   #162
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 531
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
We had crossed...
Anshuman,

Absolutely amazing travalogue. Read it yesterday - all the 11 pages. I am also starting to Ladakh from Chennai on 24th August, 2013 on a road trip for 25 days. The trip includes Leh/Ladakh, Nubra, Pangong and Tso Moriri and in return will also cover Jaisalmer and Jodhpur before I reach Chennai.

A few questions in this regard - Pls help in answering them..

1. I am not sure on the "Permits" process in Leh/Ladakh. I read that you applied for permits on day 4 and collected it by day 5. In regards to the same, can you help in a few q's -

a. What is the process of applying for permits in Leh for Nubra, Pangong and Tso Moriri?
b. Where should we apply? Any office name in particular and where is it in Leh?
c. Documents needed from our side (RC book, Address proof, photos, Insurance etc??)? I will be travelling in my XUV or in my T-Jet. Most likely in my XUV though.
d. Will be travelling along with my wife and kid.. Any proofs for them is needed to obtain permits?
e. Does it take a day to obtain them? Like, when you apply on Monday.. you will get it only on Tuesday types?? Do they work on Saturday/Sunday?

2. I read that you were stopped by the cops a couple of times? What are the documents we need to carry in this regard. The usual stuff? Original RC and Insurance must suffice? By the way, have removed the sun films from both the cars..

3. I also read to my surprise that you did not do any bookings in Leh or even in Pangong. Will that work for me too? I thought I will do all the bookings before I go there.. Now I am getting some ideas after reading your thread. What would you advice? If I have to book them earlier, the rates are on the roof. No where close to what you have said.. for instance in Pangong, a tent costs 4000Rs if I have to book earlier; twice of what you have said!!

4. I know you have done it in your sedan.. But I know there is underbody protection in Laura. XUV does not have it but has a good GC. Can it handle the terrain without underbody protection given the GC is fairly high? Do you think whether my T-Jet can handle it (GC - 170 with metal sump guard)

I am doing this route starting 23rd August, 2013 -

Aug 23 - Chn - Blr
Aug 24 - Blr - Pune
Aug 25 - Pune - Surat
Aug 26 - Surat - Udaipur
Aug 27 - Udaipur - Jaipur (actually a buffer)
Aug 28 - Jaipur - Karnal
Aug 29 - Karnal - PatniTop (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Aug 30 - PatniTop - Srinagar (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Aug 31 - Srinagar - Kargil (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Sep 1 - Kargil - Leh (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Sep 2 - Rest in Leh
Sep 3 - Leh - Nubra
Sep 4 - Nubra - Leh (Tour Leh)
Sep 5 - Leh - Pangong
Sep 6 - Pangong - Leh (Tour Leh)
Sep 7 - Leh - TSO Moriri
Sep 8 - TSO Morir - Leh (Tour Leh)
Sep 9 - Leh - Sonamarg (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Sep 10 - Sonamarg-PatniTop (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Sep 11 - PatniTop - Karnal
Sep 12 - Karnal - Jaisalmer
Sep 13 - Jaisalmer (Tour)
Sep 14 - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur (Tour Jodhpur in the afternoon/evening)
Sep 15 - Jodhpur (Tour)
Sep 16 - Jodhpur - Surat
Sep 17 - Surat - Pune
Sep 18 - Pune - Blr
Sep 19 - Blr - Chennai

Have asked you a few questions in the itinerary as well.

I know I have asked you a lot of questions. It will be of great help if you can answer me them. Thanks buddy..

Regards,
Sathya

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 23rd March 2013 at 18:59. Reason: added a few more..
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:28   #163
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I am doing this route starting 23rd August, 2013
Hi Satya, you may want to have a relook at your itinerary. Late August means that all the snow would've melted away and the land is barren. Also, there is always a scare of flash floods during August as it happened in 2010. IMHO, you should advance your trip by a month to make it more enjoyable.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd March 2013 at 19:31. Reason: fixing quote
zipkill is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 14:53   #164
BHPian
 
bhavtol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indore MP India
Posts: 64
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

@ anshuman and everyone

I am not sure how to put this but here it goes.

I drive a 2003 model Ford Ikon which has more than 135000+ kms done on it. More so it is a Petrol+LPG kit vehicle. It has been to lot of places but not on the hills so far (though it has climbed quite a few ghats).

My question is -

a.) did you encounter any vehicle of FORD enroute to Ladakh/Leh or on return
b.) Can i take my car there ? (cuz i am dying to )
bhavtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 16:48   #165
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,018 Times
Default Re: Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Anshuman,

Absolutely amazing travalogue. Read it yesterday - all the 11 pages. I am also starting to Ladakh from Chennai on 24th August, 2013 on a road trip for 25 days. The trip includes Leh/Ladakh, Nubra, Pangong and Tso Moriri and in return will also cover Jaisalmer and Jodhpur before I reach Chennai.

A few questions in this regard - Pls help in answering them..

1. I am not sure on the "Permits" process in Leh/Ladakh. I read that you applied for permits on day 4 and collected it by day 5. In regards to the same, can you help in a few q's -

a. What is the process of applying for permits in Leh for Nubra, Pangong and Tso Moriri?
b. Where should we apply? Any office name in particular and where is it in Leh?
c. Documents needed from our side (RC book, Address proof, photos, Insurance etc??)? I will be travelling in my XUV or in my T-Jet. Most likely in my XUV though.
d. Will be travelling along with my wife and kid.. Any proofs for them is needed to obtain permits?
e. Does it take a day to obtain them? Like, when you apply on Monday.. you will get it only on Tuesday types?? Do they work on Saturday/Sunday?
Thanks Sathya. XUV will be more comfortable on this route, mainly because of spacious and flexible interiors, higher GC and better visibility to tackle the obstacles. Even i am planning to drive to Ladakh this year again in my XUV 500 AWD, will try to cover the areas i could not visit last year.

Let me try to answer your queries-
a. A form needs to be submitted along with Identity proof. Its a fairly simple process, you can also ask some travel agent to do it for you.

b. Permits are applied at DC office in Leh

c. Just Id proof of all the people travelling

d. Yes, id proof will be required for all, not sure about your kid.

e. Few hours i guess, we got it through a friend's ex-colleague who stays in Leh, he got it done by the next day. We made sure to give him documents as soon as we reached Leh.

Quote:
2. I read that you were stopped by the cops a couple of times? What are the documents we need to carry in this regard. The usual stuff? Original RC and Insurance must suffice? By the way, have removed the sun films from both the cars..
Just the regular papers- RC, DL, Pollution, Insurance. That's all

Quote:
3. I also read to my surprise that you did not do any bookings in Leh or even in Pangong. Will that work for me too? I thought I will do all the bookings before I go there.. Now I am getting some ideas after reading your thread. What would you advice? If I have to book them earlier, the rates are on the roof. No where close to what you have said.. for instance in Pangong, a tent costs 4000Rs if I have to book earlier; twice of what you have said!!
We found good deals very easily, at a fraction cost of what was available on net. I never book for such places in advance, as i try to travel with open and flexible plan.

Quote:
4. I know you have done it in your sedan.. But I know there is underbody protection in Laura. XUV does not have it but has a good GC. Can it handle the terrain without underbody protection given the GC is fairly high? Do you think whether my T-Jet can handle it (GC - 170 with metal sump guard)
Except at Rohtang there were on under engine hits, experienced some minors scraping, which too could have been avoided if i would have ask the passengers to get off.

Quote:
I am doing this route starting 23rd August, 2013 -

Aug 23 - Chn - Blr
Aug 24 - Blr - Pune
Aug 25 - Pune - Surat
Aug 26 - Surat - Udaipur
Aug 27 - Udaipur - Jaipur (actually a buffer)
Not commenting on this

Quote:
Aug 29 - Karnal - PatniTop (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
You can easily reach Patnitop in time if you start early, we did Delhi- Udhampur easily on first day with relaxed pace.

Quote:
Aug 30 - PatniTop - Srinagar (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Took us First half of the day to reach Srinagar, we started early from Udhampur in the morning.

Aug 31 - Srinagar - Kargil (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
At a relaxed pace, with lots of sightseeing and breaks, you can reach Kargil in daylight. But keep buffer time for Zoji La, at times the traffic is regulated.

Sep 1 - Kargil - Leh (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
1 day with lots of sightseeing and breaks, if you maintain the pace you can reach quite early too.

Quote:
Sep 2 - Rest in Leh
Good thing to keep a day for rest, you will need it after such a long drive

Quote:
Sep 3 - Leh - Nubra
Sep 4 - Nubra - Leh (Tour Leh)
Few hours each side

Quote:
Sep 5 - Leh - Pangong
Sep 6 - Pangong - Leh (Tour Leh)
If you start early you can easily reach by Lunch time

Quote:
Sep 7 - Leh - TSO Moriri
Sep 8 - TSO Morir - Leh (Tour Leh)
No Idea, will attempt this time

Quote:
Sep 9 - Leh - Sonamarg (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
Full day, make sure to start real early.

Quote:
Sep 10 - Sonamarg-PatniTop (Can you tell me how long will it take??)
If you start early, you can easily reach by 3-4 pm.

Quote:
Sep 11 - PatniTop - Karnal
Same as mentioned earlier

Quote:
Sep 12 - Karnal - Jaisalmer
Will be a long long drive, try to avoid passing through Delhi. Jaisalmer in summer's wont be much fun, try to cover it in some other trip.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavtol View Post
I drive a 2003 model Ford Ikon which has more than 135000+ kms done on it. More so it is a Petrol+LPG kit vehicle. It has been to lot of places but not on the hills so far (though it has climbed quite a few ghats).

My question is -

a.) did you encounter any vehicle of FORD enroute to Ladakh/Leh or on return
b.) Can i take my car there ? (cuz i am dying to )
I do not remember seeing any Ford car on the route, except Endeavour, but then how does it matter? If other Sedans can this route, your Ikon can do it too.

I recommend you to drive your car to Ladakh, but make sure your car is in top shape. Double check everything before the trip, do the homework well and enjoy the trip!

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th March 2013 at 16:51.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ahir Dham - Zero KM, Ladakh. A Tribute & Travelogue anandpadhye Travelogues 54 8th August 2014 13:42
Last-minute Ladakh: My early summer travelogue noopster Travelogues 61 23rd April 2012 14:59
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009 MileCruncher Travelogues 156 2nd October 2009 08:23
Facelifted Octy, Cheaper Laura EDIT : Laura Elegance ajmat The Indian Car Scene 139 27th August 2007 10:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks