Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th October 2012, 19:17   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Skirting Himachal in 7 days in a Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Amazing write up! great pics.
This threads really gonna help me, you know for what?
Yes, rated it 5stars, btw which camera was it?
Yes i do know and good luck with your bike ride. Do start a thread once you are back. These are snaps from a Sony DSC HX-100V and a Nikon 300D
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 11:01   #32
BHPian

Details of places we stayed at. Each one of them very highly recommended

Dalhousie - Teddy’s Lodge – Teddy Singh - +919417191243, +919816168846

Cheri / Khillar – PWD Guest House - http://hppwd.gov.in/report_rh.asp?idno=chamba

Kaza – Banjara Retreat - http://banjaracamps.com/Camps_Tariff.asp ¬- Prakash Thakursahib - +919418077180

Sangla – Banjara Camps & Retreat - http://banjaracamps.com/Camps_Tariff.asp - Prakash Thakursahib - +919418077180

Thanedaar – Banjara Orchard Retreat - http://banjaracamps.com/Camps_Tariff.asp - Prakash Thakursahib - +919418077180

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
The tent house is superb for a romantic family holiday. If possible pls give us few details about the spot. Whr to book & how to reach from Shimla. Actualy next year am planing a trip to Shimla, Sangla & Chitkul.
Indeed it is. Infact unlike tents I've stayed at in Jaisalmer and Ladakh, the bathroom is is actually an RCC structure with tiled walls, floors and proper fittings. The bedroom is a tent with very comfortable beds and is sealed very well. Ah yes there are also sufficient electric points available per tent for charging phones, laptops and cameras simultaneously .

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th October 2012 at 11:40. Reason: Back to back posts.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 11:59   #33
BHPian

Day 6: Sangla - Thanedaar
We left by 9.30 that morning after breakfast. The drive was uneventful and we were in Thanedaar by 3pm. We stayed at the Orchard Retreat there which is affiliated to Banjara and owned by a soft spoken thorough gentleman Prakash Thakursahib. Stayed in a beautiful snug log hut with a dedicated kids area on the loft accessible by a ladder, overlooking the valley.I can see my boys enjoying themselves at this place. Have to come back here with family soon.
Incidentally Thanedaar happens to be the first place in Himachal where apples were grown way back in the early 1900s. Stokes the American who brought in the apples saplings from America also happens to be the only American who participated in our freedom struggle and was also imprisoned. Here is an extract from the Banjara website

The apple saga began at Thanedar, a charming little village at over 8,000 ft and some 82 km from Shimla, for it was here that Stokes began experimenting with apple saplings he brought from America some 80 years ago. Scion of a wealthy Philadelphia business family, Samuel Stokes (1882-1946) came to India in 1904 to work at a leprosy home near Solan (50 km from Shimla). Soon, however, the young American became increasingly drawn towards Indian philosophy and culture; he turned away from the foreign missionary community and became a Christian fakir, living in a cave for a while, then married a Rajput Christian girl, bought land in Thanedar village and took upon himself to improve the lot of the local hill people who lived then in abject poverty.
After experimenting with wheat and barley, Stokes decided to try apple farming in his land. He acquired apple saplings from America in 1919, and after growing orchards in his land, distributed saplings to the local farmers. By the late 1920s, apple orchards were bearing fruit all over the neighboring hills and the poor hill people of the area were suddenly growing unbelievably rich

Some pics of the log hut and the view from the room.
Attached Images

Last edited by satan : 9th October 2012 at 12:03.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:42   #34
BHPian

Beautiful pictures and good thread. So many travelogues, so many pics and I am just going through the pics and they sure are giving me goosebumps.

A line that doesn't seem to leave my head 'And we complain about the road conditions down here'

Well, it still is not a reason for the government to stop repairing our roads
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:21   #35
BHPian

Day 7: Thanedaar:
The plan for that morning was to walk around Thanedaar. Thakursahib had mentioned a nice walking trail that we could explore that started out from the town and took us thru the forests. We were joined by Rishad’s friends Kartik and Anu who have recently moved base to Thanedar. The path was beautiful and the landscape dotted with blue pine. We walked past the cave where Samuel Stokes had lived for over a year before he converted to Hinduism and changed his name to Satyanand Stokes. Anu pointed out a spiky dark green plant that can give you a severe rash if held or touched. At the same time that plant is always accompanied by another leafy plant whose leaves, when rubbed over the rash provide immediate relief. Not that I wanted to try.
At the end of the trail is a very quaint and old church with an attached graveyard. In the compound of the church is a small meshed box similar to a bird cage that is locked. There is a bible placed inside the box with a sliding wire that is accessible to anyone who wants to read the bible and turn its pages.
It was apple harvesting time so we visited the Stokes estate to take a look at the apple packaging plant. We met up with the third generation of the Stokes family who is a doctor based in the US and was incidentally down in Thanedaar to oversee the apple packaging for the season. Here apples collected from the farms (usually by Nepali contract workers) are first cleaned. Then the water is shaken off by placing them on a vibrating belt. The supervisor would then inspect each apple for size and quality and appropriately move them to the packer’s queue. There were 3 different grades of apples packed in specifically designed boxes with Styrofoam separators to prevent them from getting damaged. Loved the way the workers handled the apples with so much TLC as if they were eggs!!
We returned to the resort had lunch and took a nap. The evening started with a drive to a nearby lake, followed by dinner & drinks before we finally called it a day.
Attached Images

satan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 20:44   #36
BHPian

Day 8: Thanedaar - Chandigarh
This was our last day of the trip and we started by 8.15 from Thanedaar hoping to make it to Chandigarh by 1pm for lunch and then some sightseeing and shopping. We made good time to Simla after which we were caught in a thunderstorm of sorts with rain coming down so hard that visibility was almost zero beyond say 15 feet and this at 11am . This continued for another 45 mins after which we picked up the pace. With Rishad in his element we were in Chandigarh by 1pm. Spent some time visiting friends and having lunch together. Finally by 5pm Rishad dropped me off to the Chandigarh airport and made his way back to Delhi to return the Fortuner and fly out to Mumbai the next day. Just one pic of her that morning in Thanedaar, standing there dirty and unwashed since the past 8 days now, with the rear number plate barely visible. It was sad to see her off at the Chandigarh airport and this morning just as I was thinking about closing this thread, my eyes lit up on seeing her feature in a new thread that Tejas has just started on the Toyota Bootcamp. As if all the offroading we did at Sach and Spiti wasn’t enough I see pics of Tejas is putting the car thru its paces . This car does not have an easy life, heck its got an awesome one!!!
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2012, 21:01   #37
BHPian

A week with the Fortuner
We covered approx 1750 kms in a week. A significant section of that over gravel, stones, slush and rocks. Needless to mention that reliability of a vehicle in such hostile and secluded environments is super critical. Over the week we did throw around the Fortuner a fair bit. Now this was a new vehicle but despite that at the end of the trip there were zero rattles or even squeaks from the car. I feel this car is built to excel in terrain such as the one we drove through on this trip. The suspension, the ground clearance, powerful lights and the bulletproof drivetrain, all mean business when out there. The ride quality of the vehicle is one topic that has been beaten to death across various threads. My opinion is different and many may disagree. I found it firm without being stiff or jarring and that is critical in ensuring that it does not bottom. Slow speed articulation when driving thru uneven terrain too is very good for a vehicle of its size. While it is obviously not even close to say an Innova when it comes to seating 7 people in comfort, I cannot imagine the Innova flying though this terrain, (without severely damaging its underbelly) the way the Fortuner did. The performance on tarmac is equally awesome.
On the highway while returning Rishad was touching ridiculous speeds on open roads and never once did the handling feel nervous or twitchy. The brakes too were very effective for a vehicle of its size and weight. Perhaps Toyota has addressed these issues with the newer model, so everyone who had dismissed the old fortuner for these faults should take another test drive of the car.

Bits I did not like? Two very minor things that an owner could easily live with and a third one that I personally would have to get used to. Firstly with the drivers seat all the way back my left elbow would hit the centre console every time I changed gears. After a bruised left elbow on the first day I adapted my shifting style. The other was the absence of a key slot on the passenger side and the boot. While this is a non-issue if you use the key with the remote, we were provided with the duplicate key which made things tricky. Low end grunt in 4wd below the TC kick in is something an owner (only one who plans to use his baby for what it was made) would have to adapt his driving style to.

Acknowledgements
Rishad Saam Mehta - For the trip and sharing the awesome pictures
Teddy Uncle, Capt Ajay Sud and Prakash Thakursahib - For their awesome hospitality and playing the perfect hosts. I am coing back with family to meet you very soon.
Toyota - For lending us this vehicle to do this awesome trip
KA-42-M-3811 - For taking us thru some of the most unforgiving terrain and getting us back safely

Signing Off - Until the next trip to the Himalayas which I hope is soon. Very soon...
satan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 08:47   #38
BHPian

Nice travelogue , is your friend Rishad Shyam Mehta ex journalist of AUTOCAR India magazine? To drive a fortuner all the way to ladhak from Delhi is one life time experience! you lucky people had it . Congratulations .
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 09:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Nice travelogue , is your friend Rishad Shyam Mehta ex journalist of AUTOCAR India magazine? To drive a fortuner all the way to ladhak from Delhi is one life time experience! you lucky people had it . Congratulations .
Thanks. Its Rishad Saam Mehta and yes he is ex - AutoCar India.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Thanks. Its Rishad Saam Mehta and yes he is ex - AutoCar India.
Sorry for typing your friends name wrong.

Rishad saam mehtas book Hot tea across India is already published and on stands ready to explore. Still to get my copy.
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 01:39   #41
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2012 at 14:02.
deepjaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 23:57   #42
BHPian

Excellent, I'd love to take a trip like that in a T-Fort some day. Sadly almost 80% of these SUVs never get to taste this kind of usage in their entire lifetime. Any SUV is as good as its tyres. Looking at the pics one can see that the terrain was absolute unforgiving and you did not have much problem with the tyres, which means they were good, but still was there room for better boots. That said I really want to know how the tyres performed and what could have been better than the ones that were on the T-Fort, these were A/T I suppose, let us know your take on this.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 11:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Looking at the pics one can see that the terrain was absolute unforgiving and you did not have much problem with the tyres, which means they were good, but still was there room for better boots. That said I really want to know how the tyres performed and what could have been better than the ones that were on the T-Fort, these were A/T I suppose, let us know your take on this.
I was very happy with the tyres. All fortuners come factory fitted with 'made in Japan' Dunlop GrandTreks which are All Terrains. Considering the 2000kg weight of the car, I think they did a great job on tarmac and the outback. If the Dunlops are available as replacements from Toyota, once the original set wear out, I wouldnt want to hop to another brand of All Terrains. If they arent available I feel the BF Goodrich AT KO would be a great replacement tyre for this vehicle (if available in the future in India). They have the strongest sidewalls in ATs, period and the knobby tread pattern offers great performance.
Old 15th October 2012, 21:55   #44
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, it's tough to believe that such places exist in India. Also, it's a pity the majority of the population reside in the less scenic parts of the country.

Can you embellish upon the fossil find please? Was it near some water body, or have you found it in barren space? How old do you think it can be? Please share more pics of it if you can !
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Can you embellish upon the fossil find please? Was it near some water body, or have you found it in barren space? How old do you think it can be? Please share more pics of it if you can !
The fossil is part of a collection at Banjara Retreat Kaza. I honestly have no idea about where it was found and how old it is. I have posted all the pictures I had on post # 22, of this thread.