Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th June 2013, 19:47   #106
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Chota Char Dham - A Road Trip to Uttarakhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Kedarnath temple to be closed and to remain out of bounds for a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
but word-of-mouth news is that it may not be possible to completely remove the debris from around the temple, because it has shifted on its base, and removal of the mud holding it up can lead to it collapsing.
Really saddened and shocked after this incident. The devastation caused is huge and to see the beautiful Kedarnath in this state is very difficult. It will be a very bad news if the debris cannot be removed completely
narsi_6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 11:13   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Chota Char Dham - A Road Trip to Uttarakhand

Saw in the morning news that according to a report, the death toll may be in thousands. That is really sad. Watched the stories on ABP news last night. The scenario is devastating. Any idea if any BHPian had gone for a trip in that region?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 12:42   #108
BHPian

Any idea if there is any connectivity from Barkot to delhi/dehradhun/etc. ???

My parents are at syana chatti. They will be trekking to Barkot once the connectivity from Barkot to other places is opened up.
pushkark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 14:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
Any idea if there is any connectivity from Barkot to delhi/dehradhun/etc. ???

My parents are at syana chatti. They will be trekking to Barkot once the connectivity from Barkot to other places is opened up.
Everything is unsettled in UK for now, many roads have ceased to exist, one has to rely on the Army/ civil administration to get you back to normalcy
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 14:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine.

The tiny Himalayan state of Uttarakhand witnessed a mountainous deluge crashing in to parts of the hilly state, leading possibly to an unprecedented tragedy. Thousands of people are missing, most of them feared dead, from in and around the Kedarnath temple, which has suffered extensive damage.

The enormous volume of water brought by the flash floods, caused by the cloudburst, has taken with it lives and homes. Dozens of hotels, lodges, shops and homes on the roadsides and hilltops, and cottages dotting the 14 KM tough trek from Gorikund to Kedarnath temple do not exist today, as they along with the inhabitants have been carried away in the raging floods.

More than 4500 registered mules and their owners, who take the pilgrims up from Rambada to the centuries old temple, are reported missing. The worst is feared. The region around Kedarnath temple remains inaccessible as of now. "Unless we reach there, we can't say anything about the tragedy that is feared to have struck us" said a senior Government official.

- The Indian Express
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 14:43   #111
BHPian

Ganesan, if the news reports from the Express happen to be true then this is a disaster on an unimaginable scale. Too tragic for words...
venkatt1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 15:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

This was a tragedy waiting to happen considering the rampant deforestation and illegal construction. The authorities should have looked into this earlier rather than blaming people now. May the deceased RIP. Looking at pictures sends a chill down my spine. Its like a tsunami. I had been to Port Blair 2 days post tsunami (in a near empty JetAirways flight) and this tragedy has again pained me. The whole place wears a look of disaster post tsunami. Like that time, this time also our Armed Forces and Para-military personnel have come to rescue. Hats off to them.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 16:04   #113
BHPian

They keep saying its tough to reach Kedarnath. Can't they paraglide down there and atleast ensure some sort of temporary set up is made for providing Basic medical and food supplies.
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 18:11   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Now the news coming in is that its not possible to resume pilgrimage for 3 years!

It becoming tougher with each passing hour.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20683088.cms
Old 20th June 2013, 19:38   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Saket, the link you provided is making me cry. The ordeal suffered by the couple with 8 month old baby cannot be expressed in words. The reporter is talking about nearly 8,000 people and 4,000 mule herders present there on the fateful night when the calamity struck. This is a magnonimous disaster if the above figures are true.

May their soul rest in peace and May god be with families of the deceased and give them strength.
narsi_6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 22:33   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Saket, the link you provided is making me cry. The ordeal suffered by the couple with 8 month old baby cannot be expressed in words. The reporter is talking about nearly 8,000 people and 4,000 mule herders present there on the fateful night when the calamity struck. This is a magnonimous disaster if the above figures are true.

May their soul rest in peace and May god be with families of the deceased and give them strength.
I am sorry narsi but probably we fear the worse here. The situation is really devastating. Probably, I don't remember anything more devastating happening in my life. I cannot provide you with any link, but what I heard on a TV channel is even worse. They were talking of at least 15-20, 000 lives that could be lost in the calamity.

Sorry to bring such bad news to the forum, but my heart goes out to the people suffering there and for the lost lives. Honestly speaking, I am a non-believer, an atheist, but if there is some power guiding us, please give strength to those who are trapped and to those who lost their loved ones.
Old 20th June 2013, 23:31   #117
BHPian

My parents just returned from their char dham Yatra on the 7th of June. Some picture clicked by my dad of kedarnath temple.
Attached Images

Vishbull_6157 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 10:04   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
My parents just returned from their char dham Yatra on the 7th of June. Some picture clicked by my dad of kedarnath temple.
Glad to know that they returned in the nick of time. The pics look very nice, but the grave tragedy is that nothing in the pics might exist in future.

Welcome to Teambhp, but I am sorry that we have to meet in this thread discussing such a catastrophe, esp in your first few posts.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 10:52   #119
Senior - BHPian

Words are inadequate to describe the tragedy at Kedarnath. One can only pray for the departed souls who suffered such a violent death.

Initial indications are that a local cloudburst was triggered by the interaction of a Western Disturbance from the NW and pre-monsoon clouds from SW.

This cloudburst also caused the gandhi sarovar to overflow its banks. These waters produced a flash-flood brought mud and boulders in its wake to Kedarnath town below. It would have been like a wall of water - probably like an avalanche (only worse) due to its speed and the tremendous momentum of all the debris swept along with it.

It happened in a very short time, leaving people trapped in the very same places they had sought refuge in. A number of television interviews confirm that the people who survived had moments to get out of the way.

Matters were not helped as the Mandakini had swelled due to incessant rains prior to this incident, and essentially a combination of the run-off and the furious Mandakini caused the catastrophe.

Now, it's well known that no-one can predict a cloudburst, however, indications of bad weather in the mountains was there all along at least for 48 hours prior to the incident. The swelling Mandakini itself and the incessant rains was proof that all was not well.

Yet people pushed on in a mad rush to worship at Kedarnath.

I empathized with CM Bahuguna when he said that there is very little the government can do to prevent such incidents.
If people clamor to go in large numbers into difficult to access geo-hydro-meteorological fragile zones specifically in the monsoons - what can the administration do - but to pick up the survivors and pieces after the tragedy.

If administration were to restrict pilgrims in the monsoon season-due to inclement weather, there would have been a public outcry, not to mention angst against some people trying to beat the restrictions and being first in queue by pulling influence or money power.

At the end of the day, the pilgrims chose their poison over better judgement - however unpalatable that may sound.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 21st June 2013 at 11:13.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 11:06   #120
v&v
Senior - BHPian

We too were on a trip to Yamunotri & Gangotri between 12-16 June. Just in time to visit both dhams before the cloud burst.

Were stuck at Uttarkashi for 5 days. Lucky we were able to make it to Uttarkashi on Saturday 15th evening from Gangotri. IMO around 500 vehicles went up to Gangotri on Saturday and only around 50 came back till 8 pm including us.

Rest all are stuck at different section between Maneri and Harsil. Uttarkashi itself has been raged badly. Many hotels on the bank washed away, main bridge washed away which connect Uttarkash - Lambgaon.

Condition is very grim up there. Road condition is very bad between Uttarkashi - Dharasu - Chamba route. Landslide at 20+ places.

Road and Bridges washed away
Chota Char Dham - A Road Trip to Uttarakhand-20130617_114507.jpg
v&v is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote