Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st June 2013, 11:38   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Chota Char Dham - A Road Trip to Uttarakhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
We too were on a trip to Yamunotri & Gangotri between 12-16 June. Just in time to visit both dhams before the cloud burst.

Were stuck at Uttarkashi for 5 days.
That would make for one helluva travelogue! Bring it on!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:35   #122
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That would make for one helluva travelogue! Bring it on!
Well doc, will surely pen down my TL experiance. We had safely reached to Uttarkashi before the cloudburst, didn't go through much of the trauma which other tourist are facing. The hotel guys too were very helpfull. The only apprehension was local Admin was blank about the amount of damage happened and were giving a very grim picture. They had given us a 2 week timeline to get out of Uttarkashi. Luckily i was able to contact CO there, he has very helpfull and was giving the realtime info about condition.

Last edited by v&v : 22nd June 2013 at 11:37.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:15   #123
Senior - BHPian

200 Villages vanish from pilgrimage route.

556 bodies recovered till date.

50,000 people still stranded in Rudraprayag, Chamoli.

4700 guides and their ponies, 1000 palanquin bearers and 500 Kandi operators are missing.

There is no information about 600 - 700 hotel and government employees, 1000 shopkeepers and around 100 priests.

There are 55 settlements in the Kedarnath yatra route alone. There is no sign of houses or life on the ground while surveying the area from a helicopter.

Flooded banks along the Alaknanda river littered with cars and boulders. 95 guesthouses, in addition to homes and hotels, razed and swept away in the flood.

Government fears thousands of bodies could be buried in about 8 foot high silt that now covers the valley.

- The Indian Express.
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:22   #124
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Google launched a person finder for uttarakhand flood victims.

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-uttrakhand-floods
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:20   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am shocked with all these news pouring in.

Kedarnath Temple badly affected
[

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20652564.cms
Hello lalu,

Can you please give your views and comparison about the before and after photos of Kedarnath?
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 09:49   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello lalu,

Can you please give your views and comparison about the before and after photos of Kedarnath?
As far as what I have seen last September at Kedarnath, the amount of yatris which undertakes the journey were quite huge, can easily be pegged at a minimum of 500 atleast through walk and ponies and another 500 easily by the helicopters (I saw them ferrying in and out every 10 minutes (6 per trip)). So the sheer amount of people up there were quite high always. Add to it the shops around the 7 KM walk way.

But the valley was deep and I never imagined such a gush of water was ever possible near the temple. Given the scene now, the narrow pathways to the temple could not have helped in any ways the sudden rush of water.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 12:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

Default Uttarakhand: Nanda Devi and the Mountains

I am thinking about taking a week and going to North/Northeast Uttarakhand.

I am interested in natural beauty, wildlife, large mountains. Valley of Flowers, Nanda Devi....and? I will be coming from Dharamsala maybe thru Dehradun/Rishikesh area on day one. Then, into North Uttarakhand.

I would like to hear from people who have experience of this area. What are some points of interest? Anybody got a favorite hotel, say, near Badrinath or Joshimath or _____wherever? Any roads to avoid?

I am thinking of going in late April this year (2014). Will the roads likely be open or is this a "non-issue"? Is fuel readily available there?

Have Thar, Will Travel.....DirtyDan
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote