Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th November 2012, 19:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Birding experiences around Chennai

Great pictures Arvind. My personal favourite the Falcon & the Shikra. While I found the picture of the Plover a bit soft, the Bee eater & the Munia were quite grainy.

Though I'm not a very keen birder, I loved the Flamingoes a lot. Till date I've been unable to capture a BIF.

The 300-f/4 is a great lens and of course doesn't cost an arm or a leg or a head compared to the 300-f/2.8.

The Eurasian Curlew was captured superbly..

p.s. and btw, this is a first I'm reading about birds around Chennai.

Last edited by gd1418 : 27th November 2012 at 19:07.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 21:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Great pictures Arvind. My personal favourite the Falcon & the Shikra. While I found the picture of the Plover a bit soft, the Bee eater & the Munia were quite grainy.

Though I'm not a very keen birder, I loved the Flamingoes a lot. Till date I've been unable to capture a BIF.

The 300-f/4 is a great lens and of course doesn't cost an arm or a leg or a head compared to the 300-f/2.8.

The Eurasian Curlew was captured superbly..

p.s. and btw, this is a first I'm reading about birds around Chennai.
Thank you so much sir. Please do accept my friend request on FB. You are absolutely right about the 300 f4 and indeed it is extremely sharp lens. Bee eater and Munia were taken with 70-300 and heavily cropped sir. Hence the grainy part. Working on improving day by day and hopefully i will.
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 20:17   #18
BHPian

Dec 2nd - Pulicat Backwaters

It was weekend again and we decided we will venture back to pulicat. This time it was me with 3 other friends. We had called up the boat guy the previous day only to hear disappointing words that boating has been stopped in Pulicat . However we wanted to do some field birds in and around Pulicat and also the backwaters near the roads provides good opportunity to sight some birds.

We started at 5 AM and took the outer ring road and by the time we reached pulicat it was around 6:30 AM. As we started there was very little activity and by the time we neared the backwater we could see lot of plovers and pipers. We parked the car on the road side and started approaching the birds ever so slowly. The birds gave us good sightings and we spent close to couple of hours with these tiny ones.

Here is the pictures from last weekend
Ashy Prinia
My Birding experiences around Chennai-ashy-prinia.jpg
Brown Shrike ( Juvenile)
My Birding experiences around Chennai-brown-shrike.jpg
Little Stint
My Birding experiences around Chennai-lil-stint2.jpg
Little Ringed Plover
My Birding experiences around Chennai-lrp.jpg
Open Bill Stork
My Birding experiences around Chennai-obs.jpg
Red Watted Lapwing
My Birding experiences around Chennai-rwl.jpg
Long toed Stint
My Birding experiences around Chennai-ts-1.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	lil stint2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	1022325
Wood Sandpiper
My Birding experiences around Chennai-wood-sandpiper.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My Birding experiences around Chennai-lil-stint.jpg  

aravind84 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 12:27   #19
BHPian

Hi Aravind,
You have got some amazing pictures. Real eye candy !

I am planning to visit pulicat later this week, with a few friends. This will be my first visit to the area.

I will be driving down from Hyderabad and hence approaching the lake from North (NH5).

Can you give me pointers on what all i should do and where i can get to get the best view of the birds.

After some research on google I figured that there are two bird sanctuaries in the area:
- Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary
Do you have how I can get to these.

Any info will be helpful.
enragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 13:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragz View Post
Hi Aravind,
You have got some amazing pictures. Real eye candy !

I am planning to visit pulicat later this week, with a few friends. This will be my first visit to the area.

I will be driving down from Hyderabad and hence approaching the lake from North (NH5).

Can you give me pointers on what all i should do and where i can get to get the best view of the birds.

After some research on google I figured that there are two bird sanctuaries in the area:
- Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary
Do you have how I can get to these.

Any info will be helpful.
Hi,

While you are approaching from the north side (NH) i would advice you the following.

1. SHAR Road - Shriharikota - This is an extenstion of the pulicat lake into the AP side . This place is near Sulurpetta town. There is good sign boards to lead you into the town of Sulurpet and once you reach there any local would be able to direct you to SHAR. Little word of advice would be to keep a note of low tide timings as it will yeild you the best bird sightings. SHAR road has amazing bird life ( Plovers, pipers, flamingo's, falcon's, Stints, Stilits ) can be found here in plenty.
2. Nelapattu Sanctuary - I have not visited this place as yet but this is again very close to the Sulurpet town . You can find Pelicans, Open bill storks , painted storks in plenty here.
3. Pulicat (TN Side) - You have to drive further down towards chennai and after you cross the town of Gummidipoondi follow the route for Ponneri. Pulicat is very near to this place . Please remember that boating has been officially banned at this part of the world.
4. Annamalaicheri - Same route as 3 but there is a small left you need to take further from ponneri ( route is well highlighted and there is signboards). You can take a boat ride here and let me know in case you would need the boat men contact no.

Let me know in case you need any specific detail that i may have missed in the above.
Old 10th December 2012, 14:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful shots Aravind! Have you not ventured to Vedanthangal yet?
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 18:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Wonderful shots Aravind! Have you not ventured to Vedanthangal yet?
Hi Gansan. Thanks for the comments. I have ventured into Vedanthangal quite a few times however i do not see it as a promising venue for photography as birds are quite far and not accessible even to a single vantage point. Also an additional point is in the mornings it is always backlit and does not provide good photography opportunity.

However, i have heard that fields near the sanctuary are good and ideal birding spot. Will be venturing there in the coming days.
Old 11th December 2012, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Hi,

While you are approaching from the north side (NH) i would advice you the following.

1. SHAR Road - Shriharikota - This is an extenstion of the pulicat lake into the AP side . This place is near Sulurpetta town. There is good sign boards to lead you into the town of Sulurpet and once you reach there any local would be able to direct you to SHAR. Little word of advice would be to keep a note of low tide timings as it will yeild you the best bird sightings. SHAR road has amazing bird life ( Plovers, pipers, flamingo's, falcon's, Stints, Stilits ) can be found here in plenty.
2. Nelapattu Sanctuary - I have not visited this place as yet but this is again very close to the Sulurpet town . You can find Pelicans, Open bill storks , painted storks in plenty here.
3. Pulicat (TN Side) - You have to drive further down towards chennai and after you cross the town of Gummidipoondi follow the route for Ponneri. Pulicat is very near to this place . Please remember that boating has been officially banned at this part of the world.
4. Annamalaicheri - Same route as 3 but there is a small left you need to take further from ponneri ( route is well highlighted and there is signboards). You can take a boat ride here and let me know in case you would need the boat men contact no.

Let me know in case you need any specific detail that i may have missed in the above.
Hi Aravind,

Thanks for the excellent information. This is indeed very helpful.

1. This saturday the low tide is around 3:45 pm, so i guess thats when we will visit the SHAR road. On google map I can see some kind of path going down to the two islands on either side of the SHAR road. Have u been to them. Do you suggest they are worth a visit ?

2. I will also plan for the Nelapattu Sanctuary as well, maybe in the first half of the day. Any clue on what times it is open.

3. I could locate Annamalaicheri on the map. I think I will visit this as well. Is there a fixed route that the boat operators take ? If not then what are the best parts to visit. And yes the boat operator's number will be very helpful. Nothing like getting a good reference

Also would you know of any decent hotel or guest house to spend the night in. Given the areas to visit, I am inclined to make Sulurpet as the base.
Any recommendations on places to eat.

Once again I really appreciate your inputs.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:18   #24
BHPian

Please see my response below,

Thanks for the excellent information. This is indeed very helpful.

1. This saturday the low tide is around 3:45 pm, so i guess thats when we will visit the SHAR road. On google map I can see some kind of path going down to the two islands on either side of the SHAR road. Have u been to them. Do you suggest they are worth a visit ? - Actually SHAR road is the road that leads you to the Space station . On either side of the road is the lake and you will often find birds on either side of the lake. The roads between the two islands is not really far and you can easily do a drive across and return back.

2. I will also plan for the Nelapattu Sanctuary as well, maybe in the first half of the day. Any clue on what times it is open. - Think the sanctuary is open as early as 6 AM. However i have not been there and hence not able to be sure

3. I could locate Annamalaicheri on the map. I think I will visit this as well. Is there a fixed route that the boat operators take ? If not then what are the best parts to visit. And yes the boat operator's number will be very helpful. Nothing like getting a good reference - The boat operator tends to go either side and no fixed route. Take a binocular with you to spot birds once you are in the boat and advice him to drive around where you spot one. I shall PM you the contact no of the boat man

Also would you know of any decent hotel or guest house to spend the night in. Given the areas to visit, I am inclined to make Sulurpet as the base. - Sorry i have not really noticed any places to stay at this place as i have always made short visits. It is 2 hours drive from Chennai and hence i tend to finish my visit and return back home
Any recommendations on places to eat. - One place i found was on the NH once you cross into TN border and near Gummidipoondi there is a Jeevan Cafe. This should be a good place to eat. It will be on your left hand side as you drive from Sulurpet to Chennai.

aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 17:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Another good place is Koothankulam (not Koodangulam!) near Tirunelveli.
http://www.forests.tn.nic.in/wildbio...y/bs_kkbs.html
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 20:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Another good place is Koothankulam (not Koodangulam!) near Tirunelveli.
http://www.forests.tn.nic.in/wildbio...y/bs_kkbs.html
Yes Gansan fully agree with you. Koonthakulam is an amazing place for birders. This is the right season and you will be amazed at the variety of bird life here.
This is on my radar this season and i am expecting to do this around feb time.
Old 11th December 2012, 22:26   #27
BHPian

8th and 9th Dec - Birding @ Siruthavur

Siruthavur is very close to Thiruporur on the OMR Road. We started at 5.30 and Chennai was unusually foggy and the sun was fully covered with mist. We spent good 3 hours exploring the grasslands. Here is some of the pics from the last weekend.

Ashy crowned sparrow lark
My Birding experiences around Chennai-acsl1.jpg
My Birding experiences around Chennai-acsl.jpg
Pippit
My Birding experiences around Chennai-pippit.jpg
Spotted Owlet
My Birding experiences around Chennai-owlets.jpg
Shikra
My Birding experiences around Chennai-shikra-shot.jpg
My Birding experiences around Chennai-shikra.jpg
Yellow Watted Lapwing
My Birding experiences around Chennai-ywl.jpg
aravind84 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 13:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Please see my response below,
==========
Hi Aravind,
Awaiting your PM with the number of the boat operator.
The pictures you have takes are superb.

thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragz View Post

Hi Aravind,
Awaiting your PM with the number of the boat operator.
The pictures you have takes are superb.

thanks
96-98-757790 here is the boat man number. His name is Hari. Pls call him a day before you plan
Old 14th December 2012, 02:25   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
96-98-757790 here is the boat man number. His name is Hari. Pls call him a day before you plan
Nice images Aravind. Birding is quite addictive once you get into it. I have been to Chennai quite a few times but have never been birding there. Now I know who to contact next time I am Chennai.
If you dont mind PM me your number, will give you a buzz the next time I am in Chennai
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote