Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th December 2012, 06:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Nice images Aravind. Birding is quite addictive once you get into it. I have been to Chennai quite a few times but have never been birding there. Now I know who to contact next time I am Chennai.
If you dont mind PM me your number, will give you a buzz the next time I am in Chennai
Robi,

Pleasure would be mine to accompany you . I have been a huge fan of your pics . PM ing my no right away and please do call when in chennai and let us do birding together .
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 12:01   #32
BHPian

Default Re: My Birding experiences around Chennai

22nd / 23rd Dec :

This time around it was Sholinganallur which never ceases to amaze with the amount of bird life i get to see everytime i visit this place. Adding some pics from this outing here

Pallid Harrier
My Birding experiences around Chennai-pallid-harrier.jpg
Pied Bushchat
My Birding experiences around Chennai-pbc.jpg
My Birding experiences around Chennai-pbcf.jpg
Prinia
My Birding experiences around Chennai-plain-prinia-.jpg
Pheasent Tailed Jacana
My Birding experiences around Chennai-ptj.jpg
Scaly Breasted Munia
My Birding experiences around Chennai-sbm1.jpg
Lesser Flameback Woodpecker
My Birding experiences around Chennai-woodpecker.jpg
Yellow watted Lapwing
My Birding experiences around Chennai-ywl.jpg
Purple Sunbird ( Female)
My Birding experiences around Chennai-purple-sun-bird2.jpg
My Birding experiences around Chennai-purple-sun-bird3.jpg
aravind84 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 14:40   #33
BHPian

Nice pics buddy. missing the photography trips. will soon join you.
Thamizha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 02:04   #34
BHPian

Awesome clicks @aravind84.

I am newbie as far as bird photography is concerned and I know these can't hold a candle to the one's you've clicked, but thought of sharing nevertheless.

Earlier this month in Pulicat lake.

My Birding experiences around Chennai-img_2746.jpg

My Birding experiences around Chennai-img_2562.jpg

Would love to join you in one of the trips, with my humble P&S camera

Cheers!
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 06:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Awesome clicks @aravind84.

I am newbie as far as bird photography is concerned and I know these can't hold a candle to the one's you've clicked, but thought of sharing nevertheless.

Would love to join you in one of the trips, with my humble P&S camera

Cheers!
Thanks for sharing your pics. Lovely clicks and Flamingo shot is awesome. Even am a novice and still have a long way to go.

Sure, let me know when you are freeand we can plan a weekend.
Old 29th December 2012, 08:26   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Aravind, not sure how I missed this thread when birding has been a personal favourite topic for me.

Those are some amazing clicks. Lovely compositions, vibrant colours and fantastic sharpness.

Was wondering about what equipment you use to get so close to the birds. Then encountered your post which mentions Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED Lens. Then started wondering, I use a 55-300 with D90, but struggle to get so close. Then realized that your 300mm prime is a FX lens used on a DX camera. So its basically equivalent to 450mm on your camera!

That's a lovely lens. Would keep an eye out myself for getting a good used one. Do let me know if you come across one.

With that kind of zoom, a tripod must be compulsory.

Do you use a spotting scope, by any chance? I am planning to get a medium grade one like Vanguard Endeavor 82A. Would try digiscoping as well. Let's see.
Extreme zooms are just too expensive. Even if one can manage the money be selling a small house, they are just too bulky and cumbersome to lug around. I don't think I would ever get one, even when I can afford one. Spotting-scope with a digiscoping adapter is something that I can live with.

You or any of your birding-mates into spotting scopes and digiscoping? Would love to hear scope recommendations and tips.

Finally, thanks for sharing those beautiful snaps. Keep them coming!

Last edited by SDP : 29th December 2012 at 08:31.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 08:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Then encountered your post which mentions Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED Lens. Then started wondering, I use a 55-300 with D90, but struggle to get so close. Then realized that your 300mm prime is a FX lens used on a DX camera. So its basically equivalent to 450mm on your camera
If I am not wrong your 55 300 lens will also be equal to 450mm as your camera is also a dx cam. AFAIK, crop factor is a function of the cam and not the lens. in addition to the lens he also uses a 1.4 TC which helps him to get closer. he has fantastic photographic skills too, which helps
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:00   #38
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
If I am not wrong your 55 300 lens will also be equal to 450mm as your camera is also a dx cam. AFAIK, crop factor is a function of the cam and not the lens. in addition to the lens he also uses a 1.4 TC which helps him to get closer. he has fantastic photographic skills too, which helps
Nah, my 55-300 is a DX lens and D90 is a DX camera. So it is just 300mm for me.

His photography skills are obviously very good. Equipment can never substitute skills.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Nah, my 55-300 is a DX lens and D90 is a DX camera. So it is just 300mm for me.

His photography skills are obviously very good. Equipment can never substitute skills.
In a full frame camera 300 mm will be 300mm. in a crop sensor cam, 300mm will be 450mm. D90 is a crop sensor cam AFAIK so it should be 450mm right?
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 10:13   #40
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
In a full frame camera 300 mm will be 300mm. in a crop sensor cam, 300mm will be 450mm. D90 is a crop sensor cam AFAIK so it should be 450mm right?
It further depends on whether the lens is designed for DX or FX. My 55-300 is a DX series lens.
DX series camera + DX series lens = No magnification, no cropping
FX series camera + FX series lens = No magnification, no cropping
FX series camera + DX series lens = Cropping (i.e. you can not get full-frame pictures)
DX series camera + FX series lens = 1.5x magnification (on top of what the lens claims)

The following should help:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...X-Formats.html

PS:
Aravind, sorry for going off-topic on your beautiful thread.

Last edited by SDP : 29th December 2012 at 10:18.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 11:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Aravind, not sure how I missed this thread when birding has been a personal favourite topic for me.

Those are some amazing clicks. Lovely compositions, vibrant colours and fantastic sharpness.

Was wondering about what equipment you use to get so close to the birds. Then encountered your post which mentions Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED Lens. Then started wondering, I use a 55-300 with D90, but struggle to get so close. Then realized that your 300mm prime is a FX lens used on a DX camera. So its basically equivalent to 450mm on your camera!

That's a lovely lens. Would keep an eye out myself for getting a good used one. Do let me know if you come across one.

With that kind of zoom, a tripod must be compulsory.

Do you use a spotting scope, by any chance? I am planning to get a medium grade one like Vanguard Endeavor 82A. Would try digiscoping as well. Let's see.
Extreme zooms are just too expensive. Even if one can manage the money be selling a small house, they are just too bulky and cumbersome to lug around. I don't think I would ever get one, even when I can afford one. Spotting-scope with a digiscoping adapter is something that I can live with.

You or any of your birding-mates into spotting scopes and digiscoping? Would love to hear scope recommendations and tips.

Finally, thanks for sharing those beautiful snaps. Keep them coming!
Thanks SDP for the encouragment. 300mm F4 is absolutely a gem of a lens. It is affordable and produces good sharp images.

With regards to spotting, some of my birding friends suggest it is very difficult to use digiscope and spotting for bird photography. Hence, i did not check further on it.

Sure, i will let you know for any good second hand lens i come across. Keep glued on to the thread of more pics in the coming days. thank you
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 12:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It further depends on whether the lens is designed for DX or FX. My 55-300 is a DX series lens.
DX series camera + DX series lens = No magnification, no cropping
FX series camera + FX series lens = No magnification, no cropping
FX series camera + DX series lens = Cropping (i.e. you can not get full-frame pictures)
DX series camera + FX series lens = 1.5x magnification (on top of what the lens claims)

The following should help:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...X-Formats.html

PS:
Aravind, sorry for going off-topic on your beautiful thread.

SDP, yes we are going quite OT on this thread and hence sent a PM
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 20:36   #43
BHPian

Lovely photos. I use the same lens but on an old D50 body. I too am a keen birder and it was indeed refreshing to see some bird pictures around Chennai. Please keep them coming.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Lovely photos. I use the same lens but on an old D50 body. I too am a keen birder and it was indeed refreshing to see some bird pictures around Chennai. Please keep them coming.
Thank you so much for the appreciation. This is a lovely lens and i keep it as my dearest. Hope to see you share some of the pictures from Mumbai. I have been hearing quite a lot about places around Mumbai and am planning to visit there sometime in Feb. May be we can do some active birding together
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:03   #45
BHPian

Default Re: My Birding experiences around Chennai - Pulicat on 31st Dec

It was weekend again and time to be back Birding. This time i had a friend who had come down to Chennai and he wanted to make use of this visit. He wanted to see the plovers and other waders in Pulicat. So we hit the road again to Pulicat.

We started at 5 AM from T.Nagar and the traffic was really light. We reached Pulicat around 6.15 AM and as soon as we reached we could see buzzing activity all around. I was lucky this time to sight the Black winged Stilts and Pacific Golden plover.

Here is the pictures from the weekend. Hope everyone likes it.
Black Tailed Godwit
My Birding experiences around Chennai-btg.jpg
Black Winged Stilits
My Birding experiences around Chennai-bws.jpg
My Birding experiences around Chennai-bws1.jpg
Common Red Shank
My Birding experiences around Chennai-crs.jpg
Kentish Plover
My Birding experiences around Chennai-ken-plover1.jpg
Little Ringed Plover
My Birding experiences around Chennai-lrp1.jpg
My Birding experiences around Chennai-lrp3.jpg