Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th December 2012, 11:23   #76
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Thanks for the Laxmi Vilas Palace pics, nice captures of the details, art, statues, landscape and various perspectives. Never been there. Your pics make me keep it as a MUST on list of travel itinerary to Gujrat next time.
Parsh, I would suggest that you allot at least 4 hours for the Laxmi Vilas palace when you visit. There is just so much to see, feel, experience and absorb. Some of the sections in the audio-tour are half an hour (and even more) long. I had to unfortunately skip pieces of the narration as we were on a tight schedule. The armory (Shastragaar) has so many amazing pieces. One can spend even an hour just in this small hall. IIRC, there are swords belonging to Guru Gobind Singh and Aurangjeb. There are 2 japaneze Katanas as well. If you are a fan of the "Kill Bill" (like me), you will find them droolworthy. The Darbar-hall also can consume an hour. My daughter flicked my headphones while I was in the darbar-hall. The ceiling is beautifully done up. There are stained glass pieces depicting scenes from Indian mythology. The gallary, the mozaic floor and everything else is just beautiful. I just sat on the ground for 5 minutes to take it all in.

There is a musem as well - a separate bulding in the compound- which we could not visit. Also a vav.

All the best for your next trip. Do let me know if I can be of any help in terms of planning or otherwise.

Last edited by SDP : 11th December 2012 at 11:25.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 22:43   #77
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default 8.4 Sayaji Baug

8.4 Sayaji Baug

Sayaji Baug is a huge garden from Sayajirao Gaekwad the 3rd's time and it has the Baroda Museum, a deer park, a zoo, a planetarium, a flower clock, a toy train etc. Ideally you need at least half a day for exploring Sayaji baug. We have possibly an hour. After the palace, Baroda museum would be an overdose, so moved it to "Next time". Knew that the planetarium has shows only in the afternoon, so even that is "Next time".

We drive to the Kala Ghoda circle where one entrance of Sayaji Baug is located. The statue is that of king Sayajirao Gaekwad III himself.
Name:  DSC_0088.JPG
Views: 3001
Size:  260.5 KB

I park nearby and we get in.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0087.jpg

The planetarium is housed in a interesting building.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0599.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0600.jpg

That's the Baroda museum.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0605.jpg

The deer-park
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0610.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0622.jpg

It was as if 4 different shades of deer have been put on display just for us - arranged nicely in ascending order of darkness.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0629.jpg

The kids insist on seeing the zoo and we buy the tickets. Its in 3-4 separate sections. The first one has a HUGE variety of birds.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0643.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0644.jpg

The birds are beautiful, but the cage-grill is spoiling the photos.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0645.jpg

What to do? I swap the standard lens with the telephoto lens and it allows me a pinhole into the cages!
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0659.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0661.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0663.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0673.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0679.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0688.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0003.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0005.jpg

The birds section itself is spread over a large area.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0006.jpg

White peacock
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0012.jpg

Tortoise
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0016.jpg

A flashy bird from China
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0019.jpg

Does that remind you of the "Angry Birds" game?
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0021.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0024.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0027.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0035.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0036.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0043.jpg

12:45pm -> We are seriously running out of time.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0038.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 11th December 2012 at 22:48.
Old 11th December 2012, 23:27   #78
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default 8.4 Sayaji Baug (continued)

8.4 Sayaji Baug (continued)

If we need to start the return journey at 1pm, we should have wrapped the sight-seeing by 12noon. Its already 12:45pm and we are still in the zoo. I am getting a bit anxious. We will just see the tiger and the lion and quickly get out.

But the lion and the tiger are in a different section. We hear the roar of a lion and head in that approximate direction.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0041.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0049.jpg

While crossing the small bridge, we spot a huge tortoise in the river below.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0051.jpg

The eye of the tiger!
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0057.jpg

He is pacing quite aggressively.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0061.jpg

I guess he got tired after some time.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0066.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0067.jpg

A tigress taking it easy.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0063.jpg

A sleepy lion.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0072.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0073.jpg

We saw spots in another cage.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0074.jpg

Its another dozing leaopard.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0075.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0076.jpg

Its beyond 1pm, we have completely ran out of time. Its a long walk back to the exit.
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0080.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0081.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0082.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0083.jpg

The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0085.jpg

1:20pm -> We are out. Thank you Sayajirao for the beautiful Vadodara!
The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)-dsc_0090.jpg

In another 5 minutes, we reach the hotel.

2:30pm -> After lunch at Sapphire Regency, we checkout and select "Take me home" in the XUV's navigation system.

30 minutes tea-break around 5 pm and 1 hr 15 minutes dinner at Hotel Vihang Inn once we reach Thane.

11:00pm -> Home sweet home!
Old 11th December 2012, 23:57   #79
BHPian

Default Re: The Mumbai cheetah goes to greet the Sasan Gir Lion (A Gujarat travelogue)

Thanks for taking me along on your trip. I really enjoyed reading through your beautiful t'log. Have been following it closely.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 00:10   #80
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default 8.5 Drive, stay, food on day-8 and FINAL set of observations

8.5 Drive, stay, food on day-8 and FINAL set of observations

1. Today's route: Vadodara->Ankleshwar->Valsad->Vapi->Vasai->Thane-Ghodbandar Rd->Mumbai. Total distance covered -> 401 kms. Toll paid -> 417 Rs.

2. Driving time taken for Vadodara to Thane (excluding all breaks)-> 6 hours 45 minutes. That averages to ~60kms per hour.

3. The traffic was dense while travelling back especially around towns and citys on the way. Trucks single-handedly managed to bring the average speed down by at least 10-15%.

4. Stayed on the NH8 during the Bharuch and Ankaleshwar section. The traffic was messy in this stretch.

5. Final odo reading after reaching Mumbai -> 7058.

6. Total distance covered in the 8 day trip -> 2787kms! A personal record.

7. Total diesel consumed -> ~225 litres. FE -> ~12.4 kmpl with AC 100% on.

8. Places visited -> Ahmedabad, Gandinagar, Adalaj, Modhera, Patan, Veraval(Somnath), Sasan Gir, Porbandar, Dwarka, Bet-Dwarka, Lothal, Vadodara

9. Sightseeing -> Akshardham temple, Rudabai ni vav @Adalaj, Sun temple @Modhera, Rani ki vav @Patan, Sahasralinga talav @Patan, Patola fame Salvi family @Patan, Sidi Sayed ni jali @Ahmedabad, Jama Masjid @Ahmedabad, Bhadra fort @Ahmedabad, Jhulta Minara @Ahmedbad, Kankaria lake @Ahmedabad, Somnath Jyotirlinga, Sasan Gir lion safari, Devaliya Safari, Crocodile rearing center, Geeta Mandir @Veraval, Triveni Sangam @Veraval, Bhalka Tirth @Veraval, Kirti Mandir @Porbandar, Nageshwara Jyotirlinga @Dwarka, Rukmaniji ka mandir/Gopi-Talav @Dwarka, Beyt-Dwarka, Dwarkadheesh Temple @Dwarka, Gomati Ghat @Dwarka, Lothal, Sursagar Lake @Vadodara, Laxmi Vilas palace @Vadodara, Sayaji Baug @Vadodara, Sabarmati Ashram @Ahmedabad.

10. The parents mentioned (after returning) that the trip was a bit hectic and I should plan for more relaxed schedule in the future.

11. Overall 8 GREAT days in a fantastic state and a life time of memories!

12. I consider this as my FIRST trip to Gujarat. The state has so much to offer that I am pretty sure I would be headed back that way very soon!

Thank you all for reading.

<The End>

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th December 2012 at 18:55. Reason: adding to point #9 as requested
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 17:56   #81
BHPian

That was one great trip SDP.
The final day in the trip was Deja Vu - being born and brought up in the great city of Vadodara. As you rightly said, Sayaji Baug to explore fully needs at least half a day. Planetorium is a must visit - sadly you had to miss out on that one. But you can always take the kids to the one in Mumbai

Gir visit and that too closely watching The King so closely more than made it up for you, I guess.
I remember in college, we bunked the Friday classes and ventured from Ahmedabad to Diu for a long weekend bike trip. On return we chose the route via Gir and as it happened one of the bikes failed right in the middle of the jungle in some small Maldhari area and it was about a closure time for the forest area. The scene still lingers on is we strolling out on the road to find some mechanic in desolate place and spot a Lioness and two cubs right below the bridge we were walking not more than 20 feet away. Gladly she didnt notice us and I am here to write this

Coming back to your log - fantastic. Have fun. I am sure kids would remember this trip for a long time.
advaitlele is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 22:36   #82
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Thanks for taking me along on your trip. I really enjoyed reading through your beautiful t'log. Have been following it closely.
Thanks darklord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
That was one great trip SDP.
The final day in the trip was Deja Vu - being born and brought up in the great city of Vadodara. As you rightly said, Sayaji Baug to explore fully needs at least half a day. Planetorium is a must visit - sadly you had to miss out on that one. But you can always take the kids to the one in Mumbai

Gir visit and that too closely watching The King so closely more than made it up for you, I guess.
I remember in college, we bunked the Friday classes and ventured from Ahmedabad to Diu for a long weekend bike trip. On return we chose the route via Gir and as it happened one of the bikes failed right in the middle of the jungle in some small Maldhari area and it was about a closure time for the forest area. The scene still lingers on is we strolling out on the road to find some mechanic in desolate place and spot a Lioness and two cubs right below the bridge we were walking not more than 20 feet away. Gladly she didnt notice us and I am here to write this

Coming back to your log - fantastic. Have fun. I am sure kids would remember this trip for a long time.
Thanks advaitlele! Your bike story and encounter with lioness is amazing. This is how wildlife should be experienced! Raw and up-close!

We had a good mix of history, religion, wild-life and urban-attractions. The kids especially loved the wild-life and the urban attractions.

Last edited by SDP : 12th December 2012 at 22:39.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 13:19   #83
BHPian

Awesome trip SDP. I am planning a GJ trip this month. Planning just till Surat and Vadodara. If all goes on well, I will be using your TL for reference, After-all, its a wonderful writeup.

Such detailed writeup is going to serve me well!

So, when is your next trip and where? Waiting for the TL of your next trip.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 14:57   #84
BHPian

Awesome trip and great travelogue SDP. I have been to Ahmadabad and Baroda many times but never been to rest of the places in Gujarat. Your travelogue has inspired me to take the trip to gir and dwarka.
heman_369 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 20:08   #85
BHPian

One place you missed out at Ahmedabad was 'Auto World' the classic vintage car museum owned by the late Pranlal Bhogilal, has 108 vintage classics on display, one of the largest personal collection.
ADI_77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 18:40   #86
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Awesome trip SDP. I am planning a GJ trip this month. Planning just till Surat and Vadodara. If all goes on well, I will be using your TL for reference, After-all, its a wonderful writeup.

Such detailed writeup is going to serve me well!

So, when is your next trip and where? Waiting for the TL of your next trip.
Thanks carzone! School has restarted, so no long trips any time soon. May be a few weekend trips in the mean time.

Enjoy your GJ trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Awesome trip and great travelogue SDP. I have been to Ahmadabad and Baroda many times but never been to rest of the places in Gujarat. Your travelogue has inspired me to take the trip to gir and dwarka.
Thanks heman_369! What we covered can be termed as 'highlights' of Gujarat. Even that is not comprehensive as we skipped the entire Kutchh region. The state has so much to offer that even 4 such 7-8 day trips might not be sufficient to cover the first and second level highlights of the state.
All the best for your exploration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
One place you missed out at Ahmedabad was 'Auto World' the classic vintage car museum owned by the late Pranlal Bhogilal, has 108 vintage classics on display, one of the largest personal collection.
Thanks ADI_77 for the tip! Would check it out next time.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:56   #87
BHPian

Super Awesome travelogue, SDP! Read it all in one go. You have a great knack of story-telling, I must say

I have been planning for the exact trip for some time, and with this TL, I dont need to look for information at any other place. You have just condensed all my usual internet research into a crisp 6 page report!
BertieWoosert is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 14:41   #88
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieWoosert View Post
Super Awesome travelogue, SDP! Read it all in one go. You have a great knack of story-telling, I must say

I have been planning for the exact trip for some time, and with this TL, I dont need to look for information at any other place. You have just condensed all my usual internet research into a crisp 6 page report!
Thanks for the kind words, BertieWoosert! Glad that the log could help you to reduce the planning/research effort.

BTW, I went through your M'lore-Hampi-Gokarna-Yana-Murudeshwar-Mangalore route query & planning thread and your last update on the actual trip. I am planning to do north Karnataka in 2013 and your updates do help in terms of detail planning. Thank You!

Would love to see pictures and read your experiences from the Karnataka trip!

Regards
SDP
Old 20th December 2012, 15:05   #89
BHPian

Well, I am not sure that I have either the knack or the patience to write up such a captivating as well as informative piece

I have one query for you. I have stayed at Ahmedabad for a couple of years and so have already visited the local attractions. Other than Vadodara, can you think of what can be a good place to break the Mumbai - Somnath/Dwarka - Mumbai journey, worth spending perhaps a day or so for sight-seeing? I thought Surat, but it seems a bit too close to Mumbai.
BertieWoosert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 08:16   #90
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I am not sure that I have either the knack or the patience to write up such a captivating as well as informative piece
Hardly anybody is born with it. Its a matter of trying and practicing. I have huge patience issues myself .
Besides being able a help a few others, it is quite a fulfilling personal experience as well. It helps me re-live those moments again and again. Sometimes when I am feeling bored and stuck in Mumbai, I open one of my travelogues.

Quote:
I have one query for you. I have stayed at Ahmedabad for a couple of years and so have already visited the local attractions. Other than Vadodara, can you think of what can be a good place to break the Mumbai - Somnath/Dwarka - Mumbai journey, worth spending perhaps a day or so for sight-seeing? I thought Surat, but it seems a bit too close to Mumbai.
You are right, Surat is a bit too close and would not feel like a stop-over place (unless you are starting from Mumbai at 5-6pm after a full day at work).

If you exclude Ahmedabad and Vadodara, then possibly Anand could be a stop-over place. A few temples and couple of museums, including the Amul Milk movement legacy.

If you are able to stretch till Rajkot, that would be a better stop-over as it is listed as a major tourist hub. Its quite a stretch though.

Last edited by SDP : 21st December 2012 at 08:31.