Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th December 2012, 00:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore

The itch to drive again got the better of me. More so when the invitation to drive down south was suggested.

Here we go with another travelogue.

Day 1 - 30th October 2012

Had an initial plan of leaving home around 7 pm. However, invariable got delayed due to work and was able to start off by 8.30 pm. The first place to visit on the tour was Guruvayoor.

Started towards Maddur and stopped at the McDonald's near Maddur for Dinner and fuel top up and lost a good 50 mins here. The roads from Maddur to Malavalli is really bad with loads of potholes which made our progress a bit slow.

After which the drive continued with a couple of 5 mins breaks in Chamarajanagar and Coimbatore.

Reached Guruvayoor at 4.15 am. 480 odd kms in 7 hrs 45 mins including a break for about 70 mins.

Checked into the hotel and hit the bed to take rest till 8 am.

Route taken - Bangalore - Maddur - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Pallakkad - Ottapalam - Shoranur - Guruvayoor

Road condition - Good roads throughout expect for 23 kms stretch between Maddur and Malavalli and few kms near the Walayar Check-post. A few diversion did not help as well.

No pics from Day 1 as only night travel was involved.

Day 2 - 31st October 2012

With a good 3 hours rest, got ready to visit the temple by 8.30 am. A long queue ensured we were out only by 10.30 am or so. Had breakfast and checked out of the hotel to drive towards Trivandrum.

The roads towards Kochi was quite narrow with good amount of traffic. The progress was really slow that we reached Edapally by only 1 pm. Took a good 2 and half hours to cover 80 kms.

Heres why.

A part of highway wide with minimal traffic

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9344.jpg

Another shot

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9340.jpg

The roads gets very narrow

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9347.jpg

The country side.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9343.jpg

Tanked up Edappally IOCL bunk and moved on towards Kollam. With steady pace, we were cruising towards Alleppey but not without a few idiots cutting the lanes with no regard to other road users. Stopped over at Alleppey at one of the restuarants for lunch.

With lunch done, the drive continued towards Kollam. At Kollam we stopped over to have Sharjah at one of the stores known to be the first store to sell Sharjah in Kollam. We decided to hit the beach as the clock was ticking towards 5 pm. With Neelam in its full glory, the sunset was ruled out, but nevertheless we hit the beach.

My in laws went to the beach and I stayed back as I had to make a couple of calls to the office. With the calls done, a few photos were clicked.

The car at the beach parking.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9354.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9380.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9384.jpg

Another pose of the Linea's back

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9386.jpg

The waves pounding the beach

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9398.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9405.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9408.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9412.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9416.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9421.jpg

With just a few mins spent at the beach, the drizzle started to get heavier, so we moved on towards Trivandrum to halt for the day. As we drove on from Kollam, the rain gods started going crazy. The visibility was barely a few metres. The drive was painfully slow, with a few cars simply did not want to drive sedately in the left most lane. The buses and lorries did not bother to slow down. The rain does not make one bit of a difference to them.

Reached Trivandrum after a painful 3 hours drive from Kollam. It was time to check in, park the car, get refresh and head for dinner. By the time I returned from Dinner, this is what I found.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-3-bangalore-cars.jpg

After an eventful day, with the rains not relenting, it was snooze time. A well deserved night's sleep before the next days drive to Kanyakumari.

Route - Guruvayoor - Kochi (Edapally) - Alleppey - Haripad - Kollam - Trivandrum

Road Condition - Decent to excellent, but with crazy traffic and highly impatient drivers and riders.

To be contd..

Last edited by nkrishnap : 6th December 2012 at 21:29.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 22:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore

Day 3: 1st November 2012

The day started with a visit (a must do) to the Padmanabha Swamy Temple. After the temple visit we headed for Breakfast to Hotel Arya Nivas. With the tasty breakfast completed, we checked out of the hotel and drove on towards Nagercoil. With the drizzle accompanying us most of the way, the progess was a little slow. We visit the Nagercoil temple just before the darshan ended for the morning.

The next visit would be Suchindram. However, the main temple would be closed by 12 pm so decided to tank up the car in HPCL COCO bunk at Nagercoil and move on towards Kanyakumari with the plan to visit Suchindram temple in the evening.

A couple of pictures on the way.

My Linea

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9438.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9444.jpg

The hills in the background

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9457.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9461.jpg

In the lake

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9465.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9468.jpg

Vivekananda Rock viewd from the room Balcony

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9469.jpg

The sea

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9471.jpg

At the Vivekananda Rock

Name:  20121101_151046.jpg
Views: 3500
Size:  342.2 KB

Name:  20121101_151255.jpg
Views: 3589
Size:  328.5 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-20121101_154716.jpg

My wife and in laws wanted to visit the temple. I silently slipped away to visit the Railway Station.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-20121101_174922.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-20121102_095449.jpg

Returned back to the room and we headed to Suchindram for the temple visit. With the leisurely visit done, we returned back to the room after having dinner and hit the bed.

Route - Trivandrum - Nagercoil - Sunchindram - Kanyakumari

Road Condition - Quite a few patches with rough patches and pot holes. The last few kms to Kanyakumari is very good.

To be contd...
nkrishnap is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 13:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 14:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing.Loved your pictures of the V.rock ,the sea looks quite choppy,surprising they were still running the boat services.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 14:42   #5
BHPian

The railway station snap reminds of 1988 when I visited Kanyakumari.

Your log has only added confusion in my life

My option for the next trip are now as follows:

1. Char Dham in September (Badrinath,Kedarnath, Gangotri, Yamunotri)
2. Bhutan
3. Down South covering Kerala, Kodai and Ooty etc.

Nice pictures. Thanks.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 14:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

2. Bhutan
I dont want to hijack Krishnap' thread but I couldnt resist-Its gotta be Kerala
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 17:06   #7
BHPian

Very nice photos, reminded me of my last road trip from Pune-Kerela. Wanti to share an incident- one midnight I was driving from Kizhikode to Enrakulam, and found police barricade in the highway. Was curious why were they stopping all the vehicles. As I was struggling to reach out for my licence and vehicle documents- the cop politely told me that it was not needed- asked my name destination and that was it?? I was surprised. And what happened later was even more surprising he asked me whether tea or coffee?? Soon a boy came to me with a cup of tea and two biscuits. The cop said- "This is just a safety initiative and we only intend to give the drivers a break and refreshment so they don't doze off while night driving, Have a nice journey". Stunned!!! great initiative!!!!
bijuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 18:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks for sharing.Loved your pictures of the V.rock ,the sea looks quite choppy,surprising they were still running the boat services.
The sea was not too rough to stop boat services in Kanyakumari. However, by late evening the rain picked up and we could hear the rough sea all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
The railway station snap reminds of 1988 when I visited Kanyakumari.

Your log has only added confusion in my life

My option for the next trip are now as follows:

2. Bhutan

Nice pictures. Thanks.
Any of these options you have listed out will have its share of enjoyment and adventure. Plan and do a trip from Gangotri to Kanyakumari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Very nice photos, reminded me of my last road trip from Pune-Kerela. Wanti to share an incident- one midnight I was driving from Kizhikode to Enrakulam, and found police barricade in the highway. Was curious why were they stopping all the vehicles. As I was struggling to reach out for my licence and vehicle documents- the cop politely told me that it was not needed- asked my name destination and that was it?? I was surprised. And what happened later was even more surprising he asked me whether tea or coffee?? Soon a boy came to me with a cup of tea and two biscuits. The cop said- "This is just a safety initiative and we only intend to give the drivers a break and refreshment so they don't doze off while night driving, Have a nice journey". Stunned!!! great initiative!!!!
Thats nice on the part of the police. However, they need to do this during the day to simply stop the morons driving like maniac between Ernakulam and Trivandrum, you may feel free to extend it to Nagercoil too.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 21:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

I was initially thinking why Mysore road to start with. Later realized, I think yours folks are around there.

Also for GVR to Kochi why not via Trichur/Angamaly/Ernakulam?
You would have got 4-lane.

And off course not mention the beauty of WDM3 !

I can very well see you are just enjoying miles and miles on the Linea

Last edited by ampere : 7th December 2012 at 21:14.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 00:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was initially thinking why Mysore road to start with. Later realized, I think yours folks are around there.

Also for GVR to Kochi why not via Trichur/Angamaly/Ernakulam?
You would have got 4-lane.

And off course not mention the beauty of WDM3 !

I can very well see you are just enjoying miles and miles on the Linea
Yeah my folks reside in Rajarajeshwarinagar and also it was too much of a gap that I drove/rode through Sathyamangalam. Both the needs were fulfilled in this route.

I do not like the 4 lane much, very weird but true, its too boring for me. But Kerala 2 lane roads are nightmare during day and pleasant during night

Thats WDM2 from the Golden Rock (GOC) shed. Wanted to spot the WDP 3A which does duty on the Jammu Tawi - Kanyakumari Express (I guess its Himasagar Express), but missed it.

Linea simply loves to be driven around. Already closing in 7400 kms mark with a good 550-600 kms drive this Sunday.
Old 8th December 2012, 06:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Thats WDM2 from the Golden Rock (GOC) shed. Wanted to spot the WDP 3A which does duty on the Jammu Tawi - Kanyakumari Express (I guess its Himasagar Express), but missed it.
Sorry that was a typo. I did mean a WDM2. Your mention of Himsagar reminded of that perennial debate which we used to have in school.
Which is the train that covers the longest distance? There were always two camps : One siding Himsagar and the other with Guwahati-TVM!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 22:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 4: 2nd November 2012

With the rain gods showing no mercy, the question of sunrise was simply thrown out of the window. We had planned to move out of Kanyakumari by 10.30 am. In the meanwhile, the gang went ahead with another visit to the temple while I stayed back to catch some more sleep. But could not sleep, so took the news paper was glancing through which caused a shock. The newspaper was filled with news from the riots that were happening in Tamilnadu. We had planned to go to Rameshwaram, but the riots in Ramanathapuram district and the curfew ensured the rest of planned journey had to be called off and diverted to a different route. Now the question was where else?

After a good 30 minute debate, we decided to drive back to Bangalore via Madurai and Munnar

We departed from Kanyakumari on time for a change and headed towards Madurai where we will visit the temple in the evening and then head to Theni and halt for the night.

The windmills on the way

Name:  IMG_9494.jpg
Views: 3197
Size:  273.7 KB

Another look at the Linea

Name:  IMG_9504.JPG
Views: 3457
Size:  251.0 KB

We stopped over at Tirunelveli for Lunch again at the Hotel Uma Shankar near the bus stand. We moved on after lunch and reached Madurai at 3.30 pm. The visit to the temple ensured we could move out of busy Madurai traffic by 6.30 pm. The roads were good and we reached Theni at 8 pm.

Route - Kanyakumari - Tirunelveli - Kovilpatti - Virudhanagar - Thirumangalam - Madurai - Theni

Road Condition - Excellent throughout

Day 5 - 3rd November 2012

Part 1

We started the day quite early. Refueled at the IOCL bunk drove towards Munnar via Bodi.

The road towards Bodi

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9506.jpg

The ghat begins and I stop over for a customary photo.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9524.jpg

Mid way we stop to see how the roads that we just traveled looks from top.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9527.jpg

A few more shots of Linea on the ghats.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9530.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9537.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9544.jpg

One more look at the roads we traveled.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9550.jpg

As we climb the clouds plays its magic with the tea estate to add to the color.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9569.jpg

This one was en-route to Devikulam

Name:  IMG_9577.JPG
Views: 3077
Size:  452.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9615.JPG
Views: 3094
Size:  491.2 KB

The clouds playing magic and the shadows look lovely.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9617.jpg

One more look at the Linea in the hills

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9667.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9678.jpg

The distance board says it all

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9679.jpg

The green valley

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9698.jpg

We reached Munnar and checked in to the hotel.

Route - Theni - Bodi - Bodimettu - Pooppara - Devikulam - Munnar

Road condition - Varied from Good to average (at a few places)

To be contd...
Old 26th December 2012, 22:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry about the delay. My laptop's hard disk had some issues.

Day 5: Part 2 contd

We visited the tea factory/museum. Self explanatory photos.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9706.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9707.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9708.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9710.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9711.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9712.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9713.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9714.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9715.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9716.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9717.jpg

Name:  IMG_9718.JPG
Views: 2657
Size:  343.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9719.JPG
Views: 2661
Size:  332.4 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9720.jpg

Name:  IMG_9721.JPG
Views: 2629
Size:  316.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9722.JPG
Views: 2624
Size:  316.7 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9723.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9724.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9725.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9726.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9727.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9728.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9729.jpg

Name:  IMG_9730.JPG
Views: 2585
Size:  343.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9731.JPG
Views: 2591
Size:  318.8 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9732.jpg
Old 26th December 2012, 23:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Tea Factory pics contd.

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9733.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9734.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9735.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9736.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9740.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9741.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9742.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9743.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9744.jpg

Name:  IMG_9745.JPG
Views: 2506
Size:  318.8 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9746.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9747.jpg

Name:  IMG_9750.JPG
Views: 2476
Size:  390.2 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9758.jpg

Name:  IMG_9759.JPG
Views: 2476
Size:  313.2 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9760.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9761.jpg

Name:  IMG_9762.JPG
Views: 2467
Size:  355.8 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9763.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9764.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9765.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9766.jpg

Name:  IMG_9767.JPG
Views: 2451
Size:  259.6 KB

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9768.jpg

A Trip Again - Down South - Guruvayoor - Kanyakumari - Munnar - Bangalore-img_9770.jpg

Name:  IMG_9771.JPG
Views: 2450
Size:  340.2 KB