Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd January 2013, 12:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai

SDP, wow. Rated 5 stars.
It is great to explore a side of Bombay that one rarely gets a chance, and for sharing that, Thank you.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:07   #17
BHPian

Lovely pictures SDP. I guess persistence pays .

It's funny how we miss the simple pleasures of life that are so close to home.

Can you PM me how to get to the Sewri mudflats?
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:25   #18
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Lovely work SDP. Wow you were so lucky ( well planned) that day to sight both the greater and the lesser flamingo flocks. I always admire their beauty and it is always fascinating. Nice set of pictures and the in flight ones are excellent.

With regards to the Black Egret , it is the Western - Reef Egret and they are considered to be a migrant to the south . It is a common Sandpiper which you have clicked. I am sure the place provides more opportunity to click some waders.

I will keep this place in my to do list as am planning for a trip to Mumbai.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks Aravind for the kind words as well as the bird identification!
Do let me know if you need any help for your Mumbai trip planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
SDP, wow. Rated 5 stars.
It is great to explore a side of Bombay that one rarely gets a chance, and for sharing that, Thank you.
neofromcapone, thanks for the rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Lovely pictures SDP. I guess persistence pays .

It's funny how we miss the simple pleasures of life that are so close to home.

Can you PM me how to get to the Sewri mudflats?
iceman, thanks. Please checkout first post from parsh's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ri-mumbai.html (PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai) for very detailed information about the location and how to reach there.

If you are coming from the Mumbai-west, you can cross-over to this side either at Sion or at Dadar and then take the Rafi Ahemad Kidwai road at Kings Circle. Get off Kidwai Rd near Sewri station and then cross the railway line. The level-crossing is tricky and might make you wait for a long time. Another way, crossover to the Wadala-East side at Wadala using the rail-over bridge and then move towards Sewri.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd January 2013 at 14:28.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:37   #19
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default The itch to get better gear for birding and photography

The itch to get better gear for birding and photography

It always happens. After a good session, I have that strong urge to acquire better gear for birding/photography.

The 55-300mm Nikkor that I own, is OKish. Works well when the light is really good and the subject is not too far. Otherwise its quite soft. Extreme-telephotos are obviously out of cosideration because of the hefty price-tag. The 300mm prime from Nikkor is much sharper that my 55-300 and delivers more satisfying results. Goes for ~70K INR. That's about the same amount of money I spent about 2 years back when I got the Nikon D90+Kit lens+55-300 telephoto together. Don't want to spend that kind of money.

Not sure what's with good optics and astronomical price-tags . On this trip, I had setup my tripod next to a group of 3 friends. All of them were using Nikon DLSRs and all of them had telephoto lenses similar to mine. Around 11:30am, while the flamingos were still a bit far, I was on a shooting frenzy while these guys were clicking rarely. Finally one of them asked me if I am getting any good shots. I replied "With a 55-300, I am getting nowhere near to frame-filling shots". He said "We have the same problem. All stuck with 300mm. Anything more than that is just too costly. Can't spend half a year's salary on one lens!". Funny but true!

My 10x50 binoculars work great. Give a bright sharp image. Need to buy a clip so that I can mount that binoculars on the tripod. When I bought the current binoculars 5-6 years back, I did research for spotting scopes, especially ones which can be attached to a camera to click photos as well. Not sure, if 5-6 years back, it was too early for digi-scoping, but did not find anything exciting around that time.

After coming back from Sewri, I started searching again and came across Vanguard Endeavor 82A spotting scope, which I kind of liked. Sells for around 34-35K INR in India, including a Nikon DLSR adapter. The objective lens is 82mm, so the image should be bright. Comes with 20x-60x zoom eyepiece. Forget the 60x, the image quality would be bad. But 20x means around 666mm equivalent in focal length. Weighs around 1.7kg, so not too heavy either. Comes with lifetime warranty, so looks like Vanguard is positive about the products's quality. I am smitten.

Most likely would go for Vanguard Endeavor 82A spotting scope soon. Would use it as a spotting scope and enjoy the birds. Not counting on taking photos with this setup, but would definitely try it. If it gives even not-bad to decent quality pictures, it would solve one of my old problems.
Have been asking around if anyone has experience with Vanguard Endeavor 82A spotting scope or for that matter any experience with digiscoping. Have not received anything concrete till now. Do let me know, if you have any exposure or can point to somebody knowledgeable in the digiscoping area.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd January 2013 at 15:42.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Spot the Egret!
Attachment 1032605
Do I win/get gift from Santa? Here is your egret, nicely caught amidst the gang.

Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-sdpegret.jpg

And what catches man. Splendid. Feels like flying all the time with them after watching the second lot which has mostly flights. I guess, if you caught them as near as I did, you would get superb close-ups with your zoom, if you could get them this good from such a distance. You got a superb stable hand too and swiftness in clicks to catch them so well in flights.

Last edited by parsh : 3rd January 2013 at 18:57.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:33   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Do I win/get gift from Santa? Here is your egret, nicely caught amidst the gang.
Congratulations parsh! You have won 50,000 GBP as reward! To claim your reward, please send your account number and PIN details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
And what catches man. Splendid. Feels like flying all the time with them after watching the second lot which has mostly flights. I guess, if you caught them as near as I did, you would get superb close-ups with your zoom, if you could get them this good from such a distance. You got a superb stable hand too and swiftness in clicks to catch them so well in flights.
Thanks parsh, but let me not take credit on behalf of my tripod!

Those flamingos are addictive. Planning a trip to Airoli creek. But that one should be a boat-trip. So stuck without any leads at this point of time. Might visit Airoli over the weekend and scout for any leads. Let's see.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hello SDP,

Greetings.

Regret to spot this thread little, but better late than never.

What you have said is absolutely correct - "Luck favours those with patience". Your patience paid & it was decently paid. The wait was worth & you did manage to spot the flamingos very closely. Needless to mention, but the photos & narration is great. Rated 5 stars. It seems we are slowly getting addicted to your threads / travelogues.

Also, I sincerely appreciate your family's (especially kids) patience while waiting for more than 6 hours.

Further I believe the joy of visiting the place you have stayed for 20 years cannot be expressed here. Did you managed to meet some of your old friends?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:28   #23
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello SDP,

Greetings.

Regret to spot this thread little, but better late than never.

What you have said is absolutely correct - "Luck favours those with patience". Your patience paid & it was decently paid. The wait was worth & you did manage to spot the flamingos very closely. Needless to mention, but the photos & narration is great. Rated 5 stars. It seems we are slowly getting addicted to your threads / travelogues.

Also, I sincerely appreciate your family's (especially kids) patience while waiting for more than 6 hours.

Further I believe the joy of visiting the place you have stayed for 20 years cannot be expressed here. Did you managed to meet some of your old friends?

Thanks,
Jignesh, thanks for the kind words and the rating. On FB, I have separate albums for "Flamingo spotting at Sewri" and "A trip down memory lane". I have a whole bunch of school friends who were staying nearby and know that area really well. A few of them are still in touch through FB and otherwise. They liked the "A trip down memory lane" album and completely ignored the Flamingo album . Its like, if you stay in Colaba, you don't really go to see the Gateway of India or the Museum.

A few of the old schoolmates still stay there. After watching the flamingos, we had lunch at a hotel in Parel and visited 2 of my schoolmates who stay in Parel-Village. We also visited a relative who stays in Parel very near to my school. Avoided sharing too many of those details over here because many won't be able to relate to it. But, if you ask me, I cherish the 2 hours spent in that "A trip down memory lane" more than the 4 hours spent watching flamingos.

Last edited by SDP : 11th February 2013 at 14:29.
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:59   #24
BHPian

Sanjay, we went here today following your thread. The family was super excited to go and see the pink creatures.
Unfortunately, it was a very hazy day with visibility to a poor 30-40 meters. We will go again in a few weeks time. Will speak to you in case you would want to go again as well.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 11:50   #25
BHPian

Great write-up SDP.

I will be driving to Mumbai in Dec-end; will reach there on 27th Dec evening and begin the return leg on 01st Jan afternoon.

I would love to go to Sewri and see the flamingos. Anybody want to accompany?

Nitin
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 17:23   #26
BHPian

Went there today. Awesome experience, thousands and thousands of flamingos. Though they were quite far for any meaningful shots, it was an experience to observe them.
Attached Thumbnails
Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-img20151231wa0030.jpg  

Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-img20151231wa0032.jpg  

Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-img20151231wa0036.jpg  

Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-img20151231wa0029.jpg  

Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-img20151231wa0034.jpg  

Flamingo watching at Sewri-Mumbai-img20151231wa0033.jpg  

Last edited by ntomer : 31st December 2015 at 17:27.
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote