Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th October 2013, 11:04   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Exploring Rameshwaram - From a Non Religious Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
24 Dec 2013 - Day 3

We reached the end of the tar road and this was ahead
@NPV referred me to your thread. Indeed a great travelogue! Great pictures.

This was exactly what I was looking for. Have a few questions -
a) The jeep guy seems to be a quite nice guy. If you have his contact, I will be more than happy to give him a call so that he can guide us to the beaches.
b) I don't think I can take my Innova to the beaches, so do you think its feasible to park it where the road ends and walk down if I go early in the morning (hopefully less traffic)? I have no idea of the distance to the end of land from where the road ends.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 12:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Another 4.30 am start...
Not sure how I missed this travelogue! A good one, Hari. Thanks for sharing.

A great place to stay and a nice drive to some off beat tracks. Can't ask for more!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 20:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
24 Dec 2013 - Day 3
Warm Regards,
Hari.
A very well written piece Hari.
The snaps were all telling a story by itself.
Your eye for photography merits a mention.

The snap of the Storme on day break is something which you can cherish for a lifetime. I am sure the experience was enchanting too.

The ride to Dhanushkodi is quite an experience. When I visited, I travelled on one of those tempos which took us there, till the edge of land. Quite risky too.

A couple of questions:
1) I thought that the train services to Rameshwaram were discontinued. Is it still plying?
2) Can a soft roader take on the tracks till the end of land? Soft roader like an XUV to be precise.
3) Wasn't it really risky to take a car there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
so do you think its feasible to park it where the road ends and walk down if I go early in the morning (hopefully less traffic)? I have no idea of the distance to the end of land from where the road ends.
You cannot walk to the end of land from where you can park your vehicle samm.
It is quite some distance.
Moreover, there is dry, sandy cross winds blowing across the place all the while. You cannot walk much distance. You will soon be tired out.
It is also advisable to carry scarfs for ladies to wrap around themselves to save from the sand laden winds.
You may also be better off if everyone in your company wears something which will cover the body completely (read Jeans, trousers etc in place of skirts)
Carry bottles of water. Believe me, You will need it.

There is sea on both sides of the strip of land and the wind blows always. There is no respite from it.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 28th October 2013 at 20:42. Reason: multiquoting
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
The ride to Dhanushkodi is quite an experience. When I visited, I travelled on one of those tempos which took us there, till the edge of land. Quite risky too.

A couple of questions:
1) I thought that the train services to Rameshwaram were discontinued. Is it still plying?
2) Can a soft roader take on the tracks till the end of land? Soft roader like an XUV to be precise.
3) Wasn't it really risky to take a car there?
Train services are on till Rameshwaram. I heard the train sirens many times, and saw one leaving Rameshwaram.

Soft roader cannot go. It must be a 4x4. Not sure if they allow during day time, so what Srihari did was the best.

I don't think it was too risky, but some places it could be dangerous, which is why Srihari had a good guide with him. He will be in a better position to give more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
You cannot walk to the end of land from where you can park your vehicle samm.
It is quite some distance.
Moreover, there is dry, sandy cross winds blowing across the place all the while. You cannot walk much distance. You will soon be tired out.
It is also advisable to carry scarfs for ladies to wrap around themselves to save from the sand laden winds.
You may also be better off if everyone in your company wears something which will cover the body completely (read Jeans, trousers etc in place of skirts)
Carry bottles of water. Believe me, You will need it.

There is sea on both sides of the strip of land and the wind blows always. There is no respite from it.
We enjoyed the place. There was wind, but nothing to the extent of not bearable. Absolutely no issues, and it was a fantastic trip, with tips from T-BHPians. Pictures will come next week
samm is offline   Reply With Quote