Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th February 2013, 17:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue

Mrs. & I had been planning a trip to Australia for a while now. My sister lives there and went to visit her and her family. So we started planning around mid 2012 and decided to travel there around Dec 2012 so that we could celebrate my niece’s 1st B’day and also experience the NYE Fireworks at Sydney harbor.

So we look up for various fares on various airlines and decided to go by Malayasian Airlines as they offered us the cheapest fare for our travel dates. We had decided to spend 4 to 5 weeks in Australia but the Australian embassy had something else in store for us. We prepared our visa files and handed them over to the Australia VFS in my city and within 3-4 working days we recd our passports with the visas granted. After reading through everything on the Visa page we came across the fine print “MUST NOT ENTER AFTER 3RD NOV 2012”.

Our actual booked dates were 17th Nov ‘12 to 12th Jan ’13 for Mrs. & 30th Nov ’12 to 12th Jan ’13 for me. We immediately contacted the VFS and they asked us to contact the embassy via email directly. We did that but they said they have granted the 3 months visa we had asked for but the entry date cannot be changed. And if we want we can re apply for visa. So we were in a dilemma weather to reapply [which would cost us another 14-15k] or just change our flight dates and go early and come back early. But niece’s b’day is on 28th Dec and hence come what may we had to be there till then.

So we decided to just go early and might as well spend some more time there. Since I am self employed and can manage most of my work over calls / emails I was OK travelling for long. Mrs. Spoke to her office and it was all done. And hence began our 2 month long journey to Australia. The plan was simple, there was no plan

We arrived in Sydney on 2nd Nov ’12 and decided that we just explore the city as and when we like it. We were staying with my sister and BIL so accommodation was not an issue for us. We started off by taking a train into city every morning and just explore the city on our own. Sydney has good public transport and hence we never felt the need of renting a car or asking anyone to take us around.

Now since I am a newbie photographer and thanks to the world of digital photography and SD cards, I clicked away as if there is NO tomorrow. A total of close to 5k pics. So please excuse me for not posting pics in any particular order. I shall only upload the ones that I feel have come out really nice. Over the 1st week in Sydney we visited various parks, malls, Sydney CBD, Darling harbor, Opera House, did Jet boating etc.

Australia is a green nation. One gets to see beautiful parks and greenery within the city premises and of course once you leave the city premises there is acres and acres of open spaces. Or rather I should say, Hectares of open lands.

Enjoy a few pics of Sydney. More to follow.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1214.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1228.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1245.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1251.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1292.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1296.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2877.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2938.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2949.jpg

The Journey continues.
h@r$h@l is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 17:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default There's nothing like Australia - Melbourne

After spending a week in Sydney we decided to go see some friend in Melbourne and we booked ourselves a ticket to Melbourne. We decided to fly TIGER AIR. The fare was cheap and good timings. No fuss budget airline. Since the duration in Melbourne was only 1 week and we planned to cover as much as possible. TYPICAL TOURIST

Most friends suggested that we don’t spend too much time in the city as most cities are the same; so our agenda was to explore surroundings of Melbourne.

Day 1. Ballarat & Gold Mines

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-1.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-2.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-3.jpg

Day 2. Great Ocean Road & The 12 Apostles.

We were put up at my best friends place and since he had managed to get time off from work we were driving around everywhere. Great Ocean road drive was the best drive I have ever experienced. We drove a total of 675 kms in the whole day exploring the entire area of Great Ocean Road and also visiting the 12 Apostles. Beautiful area i must say.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-4.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-5.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-6.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-7.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-8.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-9.jpg

Some pics from 12 Apostles.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-10.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-11.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-12.jpg
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-13.jpg

More Contd in Next.
h@r$h@l is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 17:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default There's nothing like Australia - Melbourne Cont.

Day 3. Philip Islands
There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-14.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-15.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-16.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-17.jpg

Day 4. Puffing Billy & Sky Deck

Pics to follow soon, still unsorted

Day 5. MCG & MCA

The last day in Melbourne; we decided to visit one of the best cricket stadiums in the world; The MCG. The stadium is a heaven for most cricket lovers and the tour gives you a view that we don’t get while we are sitting as spectators during a match. I would suggest this Tour to each and every person visiting Melbourne. The stadium itself is so huge that it takes a good over an hr in the tour to cover the entire stadium. And after that there is the Sports Museum which houses history, collectibles, etc of almost every sport played in Australia. Cricket, Football, Rowing, Horse Race etc.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-18.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-19.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-20.jpg

The Yellow Chair as seen here identifies the longest 6 in MCG.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-21.jpg

This is the most rare picture of Sir Donald Bradman & SRT. We were told that there are only 3 original prints of this picture, 1 with Brandman Family, another one with SRT & 3rd with MCG. The negative of this photo was destroyed upon request from both families. So watch out if anyone ever tries to sell on claiming its an original

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-22.jpg

After leaving from MCG we decided to head to the city and just walk around and explore and see some of the monuments there. We were at this one place and across the road we see some sort of Shooting going on (Movie Shooting). Upon getting closer to the crowds we got to know that this isn’t a movie shoot or anything, but they were filming for the 1st episode of the new season of “MasterChef: The Professionals”.

I am a big foodie and I religiously follow this program and to see Matt Preston & Marco Pierre White right in front of me was an experience I cant describe here. I decided to grab a cup of coffee and sit there and watch the shoot. Once the shoot was done with, I approached Matt Preston and let me tell you guys, this guy is a gem of a person. I was lucky to have a good conversation with him regarding the Melbourne food scene and he even pointed out to me and let me phrase his words “Melbourne is the food capital of Australia and a heaven for foodies” .

Matt Preston & Marco Pierre White.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf0947.jpg

In conversation with Matt Preston. Sadly we didnt get a chance to meet Marco

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf0958.jpg

More details on the remaining 6 weeks and pics to follow soon.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading it so far.

The journey continues…
Old 8th February 2013, 18:10   #4
BHPian

Default re: There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue

Great start to a TL - the pics have come out pretty nice and interesting. If you are a starter with photography - you have some flair for it. Keep it up and the pics coming!
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 18:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friend,

Lucky you to be self employed so that you treat your self with 2 month holidays. We, professional salaried workers (high class bonded labourers) cannot dream of holidays more than 10 - 15 days.

Anyways the photos are great & we are indeed waiting for rest of 6 weeks pictures. A further more description about the places & your impression of those will make this thread the great Australian guide.

By the way since how long your Sister & her family based in Sydney, Australia? How is their & your experience being & living there?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 20:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Great start to a TL - the pics have come out pretty nice and interesting. If you are a starter with photography - you have some flair for it. Keep it up and the pics coming!
Thanks. Glad pics and write up is liked by all. I got into photography about 2 yrs ago and still consider self a newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Friend,

Lucky you to be self employed so that you treat your self with 2 month holidays. We, professional salaried workers (high class bonded labourers) cannot dream of holidays more than 10 - 15 days.

Thanks,
Hey,

Glad you liked the thread. I will draft the futher 6 weeks and upload here over the coming weekend. Will surely upload more pics with as much as details i can. Australia is a great nation, very friendly people and a welcoming nation. Over all experience has been great.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 20:12   #7
BHPian

Lovely travelogue.
Man, your thread makes me want to re-consider my Australian PR ticket.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 22:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Lovely travelogue.
Man, your thread makes me want to re-consider my Australian PR ticket.
Haha. Re reading my travelogue makes me want to apply for Australian PR. Travelled several countries but never felt so good as i felt in Australia.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 07:15   #9
BHPian

Nice pictures, reminds me of our trip in 2009, the only difference is we flew to Melbourne the took a Tiger airways flight to Sydney and then flew to Goldcoast. I loved the Blue Mountains in Sydney and the Great ocean drive in Melbourne.
Chillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 08:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great TL, I have something like this planned and you have injected some urgency into my laziness. Looking forward to the rest of it.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 09:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Nice pictures, reminds me of our trip in 2009, the only difference is we flew to Melbourne the took a Tiger airways flight to Sydney and then flew to Goldcoast. I loved the Blue Mountains in Sydney and the Great ocean drive in Melbourne.
Great ocean road in Melbourne, Blue Mountains in Sydney, Port Stephens and Jervis Bay near Sydney were the highlights of our trip. Shall post more pics from Sydney, port stephens, blue mountains, jervis bay, etc soon.
Old 9th February 2013, 11:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

So, The journey continues.

We are back from Melbourne and sit down with a book " Things to do in Sydney". But then we figured out most things were way too touristy for our liking and hence we decided to ignore it and just go our way. We started off by listing the things that interest us and then how and when we plan to do it. The most important thing we had to consider while planning each outing was the HEAT level. The sun in Oz can burn you to your bones. So the days its too hot, we would just park ourselves at home and not do anything.

One day while going through the weather forecast we spotted a clear day with not too hot temperature and hence decided to go visit the Blue mountains. The 2 best ways to get to Blue Mountains are
1. Rent a Car. The reason i never bothered to rent a car is i am strictly against drink and drive and while i holiday i hate to restrict myself with anything. So train it is.

2. We were staying in western suburbs of sydney and hence getting to Katomba [ nearest train station for Blue Mountains] was not an issue at all. It was an hrs train journey.

Once at Katomba station we bought tickets to the Hop on Hop Off bus which takes us around the area unlimited times and we can get off where we wish too. Enough talking, shall let the pics continue the conversation further.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1696.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1700.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1790.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1833.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1859.jpg

The way the bush walks and greens are famous in Australia, so are the beaches. Another clear day with the sun not too bright and the entire country is at the beaches. Another good part about Australia is the designated "WALKS" for each area. Bush Walks, Beach walks, etc. There is a very famous Bondi Beach to Bronte walk. So the day was fixed. We were at Bondi beach at 10 am. Nice break fast at a cafe there and then we took off on our walk which starts from the beach and goes all the way to the cemetery at the other end. This cemetery is supposed to be "WORLDS MOST SCENIC CEMETERY"

Since we were unsure about the locker facilities at the beach we had decided to travel light and hence no camera. All pics below were clicked using my LG 4X HD's 8 MP shooter. Must say, they have come out pretty well.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00294.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00299.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00302.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00312.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00317.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00360.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-cam00383.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1177.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1181.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1206.jpg

More pics & details of Jervis Bay, Port Stephens, Watsons Bay, Manly Beach & Cuckatoo Island etc to follow in further posts.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 9th February 2013 at 11:39.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 11:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: There's nothing like Australia - CARS

Being on tbhp and no thread is complete without pics of "beauty on wheels". Australia has great open roads and one gets to see cars of all shapes and sizes and from all age groups. You get to see muscle cars almost every day along with Italian exotics. I had been thrice lucky to see a Purplish & Black combo Buggati veyron, a Yellow Pogani & a Red & Silver combo Italia 458 in 1 day. Sadly no pics of either of the 3.

One thing i observed while there was the love of Australia for AMG's. The amount of AMG's i saw there was unbelievable. Until i saw the White C63 AMG SW. I didn't know of its existence.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf0185.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf0410.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1082.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1214.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1322.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2146.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2178.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2429.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2538.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf2833.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1316.jpg
Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 9th February 2013 at 12:02.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:48   #14
BHPian

Great travelogue h@r$h@l Reminds me of our trip to Australia in 2009. We flew to Melbourne and then drove to Brisbane. From Brisbane we flew to Cairns for a few days, then flew back to Brisbane. From there we drove back to Melbourne via Sydney. Australian highways are just awesome - well maintained, light traffic and fantastic country side. Would love to do it again.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 13:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue - JERVIS BAY

So, during the 3rd week of November my sister & BIL decided to take us to a surprise location for a 2N get away. We ended up in this beautiful town of Jervis Bay. It was a good 4.5 hrs drive from Sydney but with the little one on board, we ended up taking more halts and reached our destination in good 6 hrs drive time. En route to Jervis way, we decided to drive by the country side route which has and avg speed limit of 60 kmph and the views around were priceless.

We had rented a 2 BHK service sea facing apartment which was 2 mins walking distance from the main street which had all the restaurants, pubs, breakfast cafes etc. Ideal location.

Few pics of our rented accommodation :

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-1.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-2.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-3.jpg

Jervis bay is known for its super white sand beaches. Unfortunately for us, the weather gods weren't in our favor. It was quite cold and windy all through out our stay there. But that didnt stop us from exploring the lovely beaches and going in for a swim in those chilly waters. We made the most of our stay there. Enjoying lovely breakfast at those small cafes, nice swim in the beaches etc.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1332.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1351.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1385.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1407.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1451.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1552.jpg

I clicked this with FULL 30X zoom. I really don't know what is it.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1557.jpg

On the last day, we visited a light house located on the other side of Jervis Bay. This light house falls under the military area and hence one has to go there only during designated timings. Also, its best to check for any events happening and if any such military event is happening, the area is closed for civilians. The light house is known for its breath taking views and is considered to be one of the best spots for WHALE watching.

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1569.jpg

There's quite nothing like Australia - A Travelogue-dscf1581.jpg

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 12th February 2013 at 13:34.