Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st February 2013, 19:59   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: A tale of 2 Lineas in the Wilderness

Excellent pictures. The lineas look good together.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:58   #17
Default Re: A tale of 2 Lineas in the Wilderness

When nkrishnap proposed to go on this trip, I said yes with no second thoughts. nkrishnaps planning was perfect to the T. I was supposed to travel in Krishna's Linea, but circumstances forced me to get my car as well.

I took a 2 hour nap, woke up and reached the agreed upon rendezvous point at the agreed upon time. As soon as I parked my car and got down to clean the glass, I saw Krishna arrive. Soon after the exchange of pleasantries, Krishna replaced the wiper blades of my car with spare ones he was carrying (which turned out to be a boon later)

After a short break in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, we set out on our first leg - destination Mysore.

The 2 Lineas quickly made progress on the highway, with the twin headlights making way by piercing the darkness.

We stopped for a hot cup of tea at about 4.30 AM on one of the way-side tea stalls. After about 20 minutes break we resumed our journey. We reached Mysooru quite early - early enough for Krishna to wake up sleeping hoteliers to check for yet to be prepared breakfast. We quickly decided to proceed towards Nagarahole. We stopped for a coffee and quick breakfast at Cafe Coffe and proceeded towards Tholpetty. We stopped for breakfast at Kutta - idly with yummy coconut chutney, and piping hot tea that really freshened us up.

We drove up to the resort, freshened up and had a good lunch. Post lunch we drove back to the Nagarahole Range for a bus safari. My dreams of seeing a wild cat did not come through, but still there is something about a Safari that makes one keep going back - the possibility of sighting and anticipation. Who knows? A tiger or leopard may be walking out of the thickets or a wild elephant may show up just around the bend!

No luck this time however. The deer we come across are timid, but almost domesticated. They walk up to the jeeps sometimes hoping we part with some food - really sad thing happening - wildlife are no longer being wild.

We returned to the cottage, and while we sipped our evening tea, Krishna's wife spotted a huge male tusker walking around in a distance. We quickly made it to the watch tower and watched in awe and silence as the tusker slowly made it to the watering hole just in front of the watch tower. To add to our excitement, we heard the sound of breaking bamboo just next to us, and we realized that the tusker wasn't alone, but we had a full herd around us. We just hoped that we can safely make it back to the cottage.

We had a good dinner and slept like deadwood - next day was filled with hope!

We all woke up early in the morning, and took a jeep ride on the highway hoping to spot a tusker or two. Again - no luck. But Krishna managed to talk the jeep driver into letting us drive. We took turns to drive the jeep - what an experience - the steering play alone was enough to get us killed, and added to it we were both used to driving Lineas' into corners - and we had some heart-stopping moments

We quickly made it to Tholpetty National Park and got a jeep safari. As soon as we sat inside the "spotter" announced that there has been no sightings of late and we should not expect much - not what I wanted to hear. We were immensely impressed by the jeep - really bad road tackled really well - one beast I loved on this safari . Again no big game sightings.

We returned to the cottage, lunched till we were full, and started our return trip to Bangalore via Sultan Battery.

We stopped near Gundlupet for some fresh vegetables, and stopped over at Coffee Day for some nice snacks and hot coffee which was excellent. I temporarily lost my way in Mysore but Krishna got me back on track. We stopped once again at Adigas - we discovered that they make really small curd vaDas and charge us ridiculous prices for the same. Coffee was average. Krishna aptly termed it Highway Robbery

We reached Bangalore, stopped near NICE road, said our goodbyes and proceeded to our homes.

The roads were pretty good everywhere, but Kerala roads are distinctly better than ones in Karnataka. In fact the roads are so good I even am considering moving to Kerala - my Linea will be at home on the twisties
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote