Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Travelogues


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 22:01   #1
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Little Rann of Kutch (LRK) is a salt Marsh located in Gujarat. The vastness of this mud desert attracted me to plan a trip to this paradise on earth. More than the treasure of wildlife it has and produces every year, which attracts attention of many visitors. So, I cannot be the exception to stay away from it. It is surprising to see the variety of birds (both migratory and resident) estimated around about 70,000-75,000 in an area over 250 acres viz., Flamingoes, the Macqueen bustard, sand-grouses, eagles, harriers, lark species, quills, gray fancolins, ducks, cranes etc. It is famous for the world's last refuge of the Indian Wild Ass (Khur). The sanctuary has been declared as the Indian Wild Ass Sanctuary.

Travel

To save time; I prefer to travel by train during night so that the morning can be utilized for sightseeing. Started with Duronto express from Mumbai Central at 11.50 p.m. and reached Ahmedabad at 6.00 a.m. Our designated driver came right on time and we proceeded to our destination Little Rann of Kutch. No doubt the road in Gujarat is in excellent condition.

Reached our resort by 8.30 a.m. and checked-in. Had our breakfast and moved to the long awaited LRK of Bajana side. On the way, we picked up our wildlife guide (the best). Reached the Forest Departmentís interpretation centre for entry permits and other formalities to enter Rann. Please do not forget to take entry permit for Rann entry.

Finally, our open jeep took us to the Rann of Kutch. I was enthralled by the vastness, the tranquility and serene of LRK. It was utter surprise to me that how a desert could produce and attract so many wonderful wildlife.
Accommodation: There are various options available at LRK, though not much. Heard about Rann Riders at Dasada, which is a fine resort. I opted for a resort which suit my way of visiting Rann. I mean comfortable stay and full day safari at LRK within a decent budget. The resort is newly opened i.e., Bhavna Farm (Welcome to Bhavna Resort and Farm) . Stay was comfortable, neat and food was nice too. If you do not like the Gujarati kind of food, they can cook Punjabi type also.

I want to keep this travelogue pretty simple. More than a travelogue, it is a photologue.

The Vastness of Rann

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-292-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-302-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-005-copy.jpg

Montagu Harrier (Circus pygargus) is a migratory bird of prey of the harrier family.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-montaguharrier_lrk_jan2013_sharpen-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-1175-copy.jpg

The curlew is the largest European wading bird, instantly recognisable on winter estuaries or summer moors with its long down-curved bill.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-curlew_lrk_jan_2013-copy.jpg

Eagle: Short Toed

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-eagle_lrk_jan_2013-copy.jpg

Common Crane: Found in Plenty

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-common_crane_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

Flamingos

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-flamingo_lrk_jan_2013-copy.jpg

Imperial Eagle (Aquila heliaca) is a large species of bird of prey that breeds from south-eastern Europe to western and central Asia.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-imperialeagle_lrk_jan_2013-copy.jpg

Common Kestrel

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-krestel_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

Pelican

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-pelican_jan_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

After a long search, we got the world's fastest diver i.e., Peregrine Falcon

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-perfalcon_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

The Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) is a species of typical owl

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-owl_jan_lrk_112013-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-seowl_lrk_jan_2013-copy-2.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-owl_jan_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

The Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus) is a migratory bird of prey of the harrier family.

Name:  PalliedHarrier_LRK_2013 Copy.jpg
Views: 6384
Size:  190.5 KB

The Wild Ass

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-wa_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-wass_lrk_2013_cropped-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-wildass_lrk_2013-copy.jpg
Subrat Seet is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 27th February 2013, 22:06   #2
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 299 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Also, the star attraction of the trip: The Desert Fox

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-fox_lrk_2013-copy.jpg

This is what i could find out from the Little Rann of Kutch after spending three full day. There are many more species which the LRK accomodates.

With Regards

Yours Truely

Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,586
Thanked: 636 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

You mean the photologue is over? What a shame. I was looking for more. Superb pictures. A bit more detail about the logistics would have been welcome. Like the name & contact of the guide. How & where to book an open jeep etc. What are the options if one drives his own vehicle (4x4). The cost of the permits and how to get them.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,099
Thanked: 3,971 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
A bit more detail about the logistics would have been welcome. Like the name & contact of the guide. How & where to book an open jeep etc. What are the options if one drives his own vehicle (4x4). The cost of the permits and how to get them.
And to add to it, what camera and lens gear? Nice place done for a photo exercise! You get so many different perspectives.

Last edited by ampere : 27th February 2013 at 23:42.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 11:01   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 88 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Great snaps buddy. I was browsing about the Peregrine Falcon and learnt that Nat Geo has measured them diving at 389 kmph . That is insane!
It is a tough competitor for all the lambos, Ferrari out there

I hope you are not finished (though looks like that). Please share more snaps.

Last edited by MotoNanu : 28th February 2013 at 11:05.
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 11:11   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, DE
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 854 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Hello Subrat,

Needless to say, wonderful pictures, as always.

Though the pictures of birds are really great, can you also post other animals & landscape shots capturing the beauty of the desert?

Also can you share further details of trip - like number of days you stayed there, total expense, resort review, etc?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 11:12   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 638
Thanked: 376 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

[quote=Subrat Seet;3052373This is what i could find out from the Little Rann of Kutch after spending three full day. There are many more species which the LRK accomodates.

With Regards

Yours Truely

Subrat[/QUOTE]

Arrey - was just getting warmed up to a great nice TL with lot of awesome pics!

The pics so far are great and would have been great to see many more...... also echoing GD sir's thoughts - would be nice to know more about logistics and best time to visit, etc.
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,238
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Definitely deserves a 5 star, voted. Me too, like other members interested to know "how" to make it there. Please do pour in your experiences and travel.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 12:45   #9
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 299 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You mean the photologue is over? What a shame. I was looking for more. Superb pictures. A bit more detail about the logistics would have been welcome. Like the name & contact of the guide. How & where to book an open jeep etc. What are the options if one drives his own vehicle (4x4). The cost of the permits and how to get them.
Thank you Sir. Sorry to dissapoint you. Photologue is not over yet. The variety of species is over but not the photos taken with different perspective or different angle. Three full day safari with 60GB photographs (morning 7.00 a.m. till sun down) is available. I will upload them. Also, i will reply to your queries below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And to add to it, what camera and lens gear? Nice place done for a photo exercise! You get so many different perspectives.
I have used Canon 7D with 300 F/2.8 L IS II USM lens with 2x TC III and 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II USM. Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Great snaps buddy. I was browsing about the Peregrine Falcon and learnt that Nat Geo has measured them diving at 389 kmph . That is insane!
It is a tough competitor for all the lambos, Ferrari out there

I hope you are not finished (though looks like that). Please share more snaps.
Thank you so much. Yes, the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest divers. We hunt for more than 3 hours for this bird. Generally, she appears in huge vast area. It was around 2.30 p.m. when our guide asked us to scan through a small bushy tree. We sacnned through our binocular and found this magnificent bird. She oblige for photographing her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Subrat,

Needless to say, wonderful pictures, as always.

Though the pictures of birds are really great, can you also post other animals & landscape shots capturing the beauty of the desert?

Also can you share further details of trip - like number of days you stayed there, total expense, resort review, etc?

Thanks,
Yes, i will upload the pictures of sunset, vastness of LRK, the mirage created during day time etc. Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Arrey - was just getting warmed up to a great nice TL with lot of awesome pics!

The pics so far are great and would have been great to see many more...... also echoing GD sir's thoughts - would be nice to know more about logistics and best time to visit, etc.
Thank you so much. I will come up with the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Definitely deserves a 5 star, voted. Me too, like other members interested to know "how" to make it there. Please do pour in your experiences and travel.
Thank you for the rating.

Here is the details:

How to reach:Ahmedabad is the nearest airport and it takes around two and half hours to three hours. Also, from Mumbai, Viramgam is the nearest railway station. LRK is a 30 km drive from Viramgam. From Ahmedabad railway station it takes around two hours to reach Little rann of kutch, the Bajana side. We hired a cab for 1500 to pick up us from the Ahmedabad station which was arranged by the resort.

About Little Rann of Kutch: There are two sides of Rann i.e., Bajana and other one i forgot the name. The Bajana side is nearer to the resort i stayed. The other side of rann is vast. Generally, species like peregrine falcon, desert fox, Mcqueen's bustard etc available other side of the rann.

Accomodation: There are few options available for stay like Rann Riders (http://www.rannriders.com/) a very good resort but pricey. However, it is a great resort. I stayed in a new resort called Bhavna farm (link above). It suited my budget and my convenience. We were actually two. So, he charged us 2k per person which includes stay with full board basis, a jeep with a driver for full day. If you are not a serious wildlife enthusiasts then do not hire a guide. The guide charges 1k per day. The gypsy driver (Mr. Beacher) is superb. All the details are there in the website of Bhavna farm. Call up Prashant Bhai, the owner for one stop solution.

You can take your own 4X4 vehicle but if you are a first timer, please take a guide or a person having knowledge about roads. It is all same after a certain point. The most fun is you loose the sense of direction. So, the guide comes to your resque.

I spent three full day in LRK. Two days in Bajana side and one day other side. Some tips for wildlifers:
1. Generally, start early and reach rann for much of the activities. For Imperial eagel, reach early and you will get them upto 9.00 a.m.
2. For Harriers, early morning and evening around 5.00 p.m. is the best time.

Hope i have clarified most of the things. I will upload more pictures tonight.
Thank you all for your appreciations and comments.
Regards
Subrat

Last edited by Subrat Seet : 28th February 2013 at 12:48.
Subrat Seet is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 12:59   #10
BHPian
 
venkat_iyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Awesome Photos subrat!! Please do post more..1 thing though, the 7th photo, isnt that of a couple of Steppe Eagles, and not short-toed?
venkat_iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 14:15   #11
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 299 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Awesome Photos subrat!! Please do post more..1 thing though, the 7th photo, isnt that of a couple of Steppe Eagles, and not short-toed?
Thank you so much sir. You are absolutely right, it is steppe. I will post more for sure.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 14:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,424
Thanked: 890 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

What will happen when an excellent photographer fond of wild life goes in search of wild ass?

He comes back with loads of beautiful photographs of lovely land.

Thanks Subrat for sharing. Rated 5*
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 18:58   #13
BHPian
 
shomshree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 97
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Accomodation: There are few options available for stay like Rann Riders (http://www.rannriders.com/) a very good resort but pricey. However, it is a great resort. I stayed in a new resort called Bhavna farm (link above). It suited my budget and my convenience. We were actually two. So, he charged us 2k per person which includes stay with full board basis, a jeep with a driver for full day. If you are not a serious wildlife enthusiasts then do not hire a guide. The guide charges 1k per day. The gypsy driver (Mr. Beacher) is superb. All the details are there in the website of Bhavna farm. Call up Prashant Bhai, the owner for one stop solution.
The photologue is superb . Gujarat has always been a haven for migratory birds. I once visited "Nal Sarovar" (about an hour's drive from Ahmedabad) where I came across countless of Flamingos and Pelicans. One can hire boats. A handsome tip is often sufficient to coax a boatman to take that detour through those marshy areas in the water body where these birds nest and nestle.

If possible pls give the contact of Bhavna farm or Prashant bhai.
shomshree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:34   #14
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
What will happen when an excellent photographer fond of wild life goes in search of wild ass?

He comes back with loads of beautiful photographs of lovely land.

Thanks Subrat for sharing. Rated 5*
Thank you Sir. I was delighted to see the wildlife in LRK. Thank you again for the rating Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
The photologue is superb . Gujarat has always been a haven for migratory birds. I once visited "Nal Sarovar" (about an hour's drive from Ahmedabad) where I came across countless of Flamingos and Pelicans. One can hire boats. A handsome tip is often sufficient to coax a boatman to take that detour through those marshy areas in the water body where these birds nest and nestle.

If possible pls give the contact of Bhavna farm or Prashant bhai.
Thank you so much. Gujarat is a heaven for wildlifer. Nal Sarovar is a paradise for birding. Time is a constrained otherwise, i would have covered all these places.

Please check the Bhavna Farm website for Prashant Bhai's number.

Some more pictures below.

The Kacchi Man.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-258-copy.jpg

Waiting for the Guide to Join.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-272-copy.jpg

Wild Ass

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-231-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-255-copy.jpg

The Desert Strome.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-279-copy.jpg

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-287-copy.jpg

The Mirage: That is not water.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-316-copy.jpg

Our Vehicle and my friend.

Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue-308-copy.jpg
Subrat Seet is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 22:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,232
Thanked: 538 Times
Default Re: Amazing Mud Desert - Little Rann of Kutch. A Photologue

Fantastic pictures man subscribed and threw in 5 stars , deserves it. Your compositions are mind blowing and the 1st shot of the wild ass takes the cake.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Little Rann of Kutch-Gujarat is everything but little: Photologue robimahanta Travelogues 35 22nd April 2014 12:52
Delhi to Rann of Kutch cutdcrap Route / Travel Queries 7 29th November 2013 11:26
Pune to Rann of Kutch route? Leepower Route / Travel Queries 3 23rd March 2010 17:13
Kutch Kutch Hota Hai - Into Heart Of The Little Rann genesis Travelogues 81 10th November 2009 15:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks