Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th March 2013, 12:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trespassers will be captivated: Exploring Kurumgad Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
Thanks for sharing the travelogue! Karwar is a beautiful place and has plenty of things to do and discover.

While I can't be 100% sure, the brown line(s) you see are most likely to be strong current flowing back to into the sea. These are found in places where the river meets the sea (Karwar) and are also affected by underwater terrain. The color is darker as the current takes away marine debris like seaweeds, soil, etch
thanks a lot Kamen_rider! Interesting stuff about the brown lines, but it was as though there was some kind of underwater wall right below the ocean. It was somewhat strange because we could see it was not a rock. Probably as you said, it was a current carrying debris, but the line was present throughout those 3 days in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
KarthikK ,
A very well written travelogue. Superb pictures. Looks like you guys had a whale of a time!!! Thanks for sharing.
Karwar is on my 'to do' list now .
Thanks a lot pradyblr! glad to know you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Karwar brings lots and lots of memories ! I remember the same when there was no navy then. Pristine green hills and clear waters have always been order of the day.

There are only 3 words to define rains. More, more and More ! 15-20km and you are the most dense jungles all around. What a place.
Thanks a lot ampere! I agree with you on the rainy season beauty of the western ghats and the NH-17 area. I feel another trip is due to this place in Monsoon season for the true feel of the rains.

Quote:
Never visited the island though. Nice one Karthik. The whole of western ghats houses many reptiles thanks to its tropical climate.
At this island, what I found absurd was a very high population of reptiles compared to other wild creatures. There were no rodents, no birds or any other mammals. Just loads and loads of lizards, chameleons, snakes, scorpions and the like. Perhaps it is to do with the fact that it was an island? Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Wow, very well written travelogue Karthik and excellent pictures to go with it. Need to make plans to visit this resort now although maybe not this summer. I guess it would be better to go there sometime during October - November when the weather is just a little more accommodating ! Thanks for sharing, some more pictures will always be welcome !
Thanks a lot kannan666! Yeah, I don't recommend you visit this place in summer. We were getting roasted in March, and now that the summer season has fully set in here in South India, you can re-align your plans to go after monsoons when the oceans are calm and the skies are blue. November-December-January should be the most pleasant season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
As usual, a superb write up and the travel in itself. I was visualizing what you were going through in the bus during the onward journey. That was hillarous stuff to read

Nice photos too.
Thanks a lot nkrishnap!

Quote:
Rain + western ghats = Super combination for nature lovers. The greenery during monsoon is mesmerizing.

With the reptiles, the ones that you can spot quite frequently are the cobras and the vipers. I was lucky twice to spot the king cobra in one of the estates in Kalasa.
Absolutely. We spotted one 6-7 ft long snake in the island forest area, which I am pretty sure was a cobra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hi Karthik!

Excellent start there with the description of the bus ride to Karwar! I have travelled frequently in this Volvos between Bangalore & Bombay and Bangalore & Mangalore.
I could totally relate to the space issues, and after my first couple of bus rides, decided to stock myself with whatever I'd need during the ride (headphones, water, snacks, book, etc.) - only to be stuck with too much around me, decreasing the space further! Ridiculous! And the way you put it brought an instant grin on my face!
Hehe, thanks a lot Samarth! The bus ride is a torture session for tall people, more so if we are 'out of touch' with bus rides and recliner seats.

Quote:
Nice off-beat setting for a weekend getaway. Must have been pretty peaceful out there.
Amazing, that little graphic map of the place. Really does bring to mind the Famous Five adventures :P

Thank you a very nice compilation.
Its a relatively unknown place, so there were hardly any tourists to spoil the tranquility of the place. No-nonsense staff, no-nonsense service, fantastic place but nonsense weather (bad choice of dates)

That famous-five style map was funny, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Awesome report. Thanks for sharing. The Sunset pics are awesome!
Thanks a lot MadBiker, glad to know you liked it.

Quote:
Have a few questions, If you could answer please
At your service sir

Quote:
  1. Is it possible to bring our two wheelers to the Island?
    or
  2. Or Would the boat be capable of carrying motorcycles from Main land to the Island ?
Nope, there is no way to transport vehicles onto the island. The motorboat that is used by the resort to transport passengers is not very big, and is designed for people. Even if you manage to get a ferry boat, the vehicles cannot make it past the boat Jetty on the island, which is probably the only flat surface on the whole island. You can park it at the resort's open parking yard in Karwar, if you are ready to do that.

Quote:
  1. How many days do you think is sufficient to explore the island (at leisure)
  2. How do you go around the Island, On foot?
2 nights, 3 days would be sufficient to cover all the places and complete watersports too. Anything more would lead to boredom in my opinion. Of course, if you would like to just relax with a book on the hammock, you can stretch it to 4-5 days as well. There is no disturbance there at all. The staff and their service are 100% no-nonsense and they will not bother or disturb you in any way. Meals are served on time, watersports and hikes are arranged based on your convenience, requests for extra snacks or beverages are complied with readily, etc. Overall, very nice experience.

Around the island, by foot is the only way. The island isn't very big in itself. It is probably around 1-1.5 sq. km in area, so any place to any place would take you a maximum of 15-20 minutes of hiking, thanks to the hilly terrain and continuous ups and downs through the forest.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th March 2013 at 12:07.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 17:11   #17
BHPian

Thats a great compilation on Kurumgad which I ever seen until now. Well, during Shree Narasimha Jaatra (Annual festival) the scene is more beautiful here. Most of the people from the Uttara Kannada district travel here during the Narasimha Jaatra. If you come from Karwar, the Kali Bridge connects between Kodibag and Sadashivgad. Most of the boats start from Kodibag dock during the annual festival. The vessels are fishing boats and one will enjoy the ferry.

There are boats boarding from Devbag and as well from Sadashivgad side on request.

For those who asked about taking bikes, you need a bigger boat and few men to load/unload on/from the boat. Need to carry petrol as well. Again it is a small island, terrain bicycles should do the job and will be environment friendly. Nature will be more happy.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 26th March 2013 at 17:22.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 07:36   #18

Hi KarthikK, I've read almost everyone of your travelogues and have been captivated by the pictures (firstly of the Jet and then the place) and the detail you provide. Your take on the Coonoor Farmstay is one of the best i've read and re-read. Keep it going mate!

The one on Kurumgad couldn't have come at a better time for me since i've been in touch with the G.O folks for a visit this week. How hot is it btw. Bearable? Any travelling tips. Am leaving tonight by bus to Karwar, heading to Kurumgad, spending a couple of days on the island and then heading to Murudeshwar for SCUBA around Nethrani.

Subram
ksubram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 13:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank for the thread. I have a friend of mine from Karwar. And we decided we will be going there in his Punto (the red 90 bhp one @ Jayanagar).

I just sent this link to him. And yes, -5 stars for NOT taking your T-Jet! Looks like your camera is more tuned to capture Kerala beauty!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th March 2013 at 13:33.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 18:39   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@karthikk - Good find, Nice travelogue and superb pictures - the combination of these elements make it enjoyable to read, Thanks for sharing The presence of reptiles, especially the snakes is scary though!

The 'port'/jetty where you boarded the boat to Kurumgad Island - is it below the the Kali River bridge, almost like a service road that goes beside the bridge. Asking since that's where there's a JLR office (I think the place is called Kodibag or Kodibail) and their boats to Devbagh also have a boat jetty nearby.

Last edited by NPV : 27th March 2013 at 18:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Super pictures Karthik. This place is a nice find. Never knew this place existed and till now, I was aware only of Devbagh island near Karwar. Do they operate in the monsoon also?

It is interesting to note that it has plenty of 'wildlife'. Did you observe any trespassing by these reptiles in the area where the cottages were? Since it is an island with limited space, they are bound to check in to the cottages at some point in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Absolutely. We spotted one 6-7 ft long snake in the island forest area, which I am pretty sure was a cobra.
It could as well be a rat snake also. A rat snake is usually mistaken for a cobra.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 27th March 2013 at 19:04.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 08:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Thats a great compilation on Kurumgad which I ever seen until now. Well, during Shree Narasimha Jaatra (Annual festival) the scene is more beautiful here. Most of the people from the Uttara Kannada district travel here during the Narasimha Jaatra. If you come from Karwar, the Kali Bridge connects between Kodibag and Sadashivgad. Most of the boats start from Kodibag dock during the annual festival. The vessels are fishing boats and one will enjoy the ferry.
Thanks yogesh! Your description of the annual festival is very interesting and informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksubram View Post
Hi KarthikK, I've read almost everyone of your travelogues and have been captivated by the pictures (firstly of the Jet and then the place) and the detail you provide. Your take on the Coonoor Farmstay is one of the best i've read and re-read. Keep it going mate!
Thanks a lot for the kind words ksubram. I'm glad you liked the travelogues! A lot more of them are to come out this year, and I will strive to keep the detailed coverage for the benefit (or to induce sleep) of readers, hehe.

Quote:
The one on Kurumgad couldn't have come at a better time for me since i've been in touch with the G.O folks for a visit this week. How hot is it btw. Bearable? Any travelling tips. Am leaving tonight by bus to Karwar, heading to Kurumgad, spending a couple of days on the island and then heading to Murudeshwar for SCUBA around Nethrani.
I assume you have already departed by bus yesternight, sorry for being late to reply, hehe. It was around 40+ degrees when we were on the island during March first week. It could have increased marginally by now. Bearable? No! You have to go near the hammock area since that is the only place where some cool breeze is felt. They have ceiling fans in the cottages, but it just blows hot air and increases the discomfort.

Travelling tips? just one - Enjoy the trip, and don't forget a sunscreen!

Your Scuba plans for Nethrani sound interesting. I heard the visibility wasn't too good at the place. Perhaps you can update after you get back from the trip. Enjoy yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thank for the thread. I have a friend of mine from Karwar. And we decided we will be going there in his Punto (the red 90 bhp one @ Jayanagar).
Wow! My car's clone?? You guys must take this longer route if you want to enjoy driving in the ghats and enjoy the Ghats itself -
Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Udupi - Karwar.
The distance is roughly 650 km and takes around 12-14 hours with breaks included, but I promise you one whole day of automotive nirvana, on some of Karnataka's finest (to drive) ghats! LTD stuff, really!

Quote:
I just sent this link to him. And yes, -5 stars for NOT taking your T-Jet! Looks like your camera is more tuned to capture Kerala beauty!
Hahaha. I will be back to my T-Jet for the next trip, resuming The Jet® series soon.

This time I goofed up with some camera settings on the first day, and most of the shots ended up overexposed in the afternoon's shots. My bad!

P.S - my next destination is in Kerala, lets hope the luck rubs off again *winks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@karthikk - Good find, Nice travelogue and superb pictures - the combination of these elements make it enjoyable to read, Thanks for sharing The presence of reptiles, especially the snakes is scary though!
Thanks a lot NPV! Glad to know you liked it.

Quote:
The 'port'/jetty where you boarded the boat to Kurumgad Island - is it below the the Kali River bridge, almost like a service road that goes beside the bridge. Asking since that's where there's a JLR office (I think the place is called Kodibag or Kodibail) and their boats to Devbagh also have a boat jetty nearby.
Yeah it was the same place. The jetty where Devbagh resorts use their motorboats was around half a kilometre from our port, but these guys didn't use that. The place where we got into/ out of the boat was some kind of cargo loading bay for ships carrying sand, hehe. Maybe it works out cheaper for them or something, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Super pictures Karthik. This place is a nice find. Never knew this place existed and till now, I was aware only of Devbagh island near Karwar. Do they operate in the monsoon also?
Thanks a lot Aditya! I happened to enquire with them on this yesterday. They do operate in the monsoon also. Since the distance from the coast is not that far (~5 km), they continue all activities as usual.
Quote:
It is interesting to note that it has plenty of 'wildlife'. Did you observe any trespassing by these reptiles in the area where the cottages were? Since it is an island with limited space, they are bound to check in to the cottages at some point in time
We did have some lizards and chameleons frequenting the cottage area as well, but thankfully no snakes. There were also some surprise visitors like a massive spider, a crab, a huge green colored toad (maybe it was poisonous too) and on another evening we saw a big black Scorpion. Enough to give some creeps, eh?

Quote:
It could as well be a rat snake also. A rat snake is usually mistaken for a cobra.
In that case, I lose my bragging rights . But yeah, I couldn't spot it properly since it slithered away into the vegetation when we were approaching. All I saw was it was big and light brown (brownish straw colored).

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th March 2013 at 08:41.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 11:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Awesome report. Thanks for introducing the place.

One look at the map and my mind too went back to Enid Blyton. Was thrilled to see that you also shared the thought!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 17:20   #24
BHPian

Hi Karthik,
Great travelogue - was really fascinating to read. You sure seemed to have enjoyed the "denjerous" trip!!!
SujAce is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote