Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th March 2013, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Post 3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!

Disclaimer: This is my very first attempt at a travelogue. Please be kind on me.

March 2nd 2013

BEEP.. BEEP.. BEEP.. BEEP..

The sound was distant yet next to me. It was something that I usually hate to listen to. But that was every other morning, not this one. I rub my eyes and slowly open them.. It was 2.00AM. I jump out of bed, muttering curses. The alarm was supposed to be for 1.30AM and I had snoozed it till 2.00AM! . Without any further indulging of my usual morning laziness, I step into the shower. 20 minutes later, I was cranking the engine of Columbus. Columbus obliges and within seconds I am gone. Less than a minute later, the second last digit moves slowly from 0 to 1. There was no looking back. I gun the accelerator and Columbus leaps down the bypass more excited than ever! Columbus knew what he was in for over the next couple of days!

The Hills
3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0025.jpg

The Tea Estates
3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0045.jpg

The Dams
3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0305.jpg

The Winding Roads
3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0030.jpg

The Beautiful Lakes
3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0269.jpg

And the best of all, his very first customized light show!
3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0501.jpg

It was Columbus' first ever trip to Munnar!!

Last edited by Columbus_500 : 10th March 2013 at 02:19.
Columbus_500 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 21:13   #2
BHPian

Default The Planning!

....... Flashback to May 2012

May 28th 2012:

T-277.

It was a dreadful Monday. And work seemed to pour in higher volume than usual. Tick tock tick tock. Physically, I was in Office. But mentally, I was far away. I was still relishing my views from the peaks. I was still mesmerized by the beauty and more than all, I was still enjoying the cold breeze. Ahh the two beautiful days in Munnar!!

Although it was just a team outing from office, it was one of my best weekends. We trekked up the hills of Munnar. We strolled amongst the beautiful tea estates and enjoyed the freshest of the freshest air. There was just one small regret that I had. If only I had a chance to do this trip all over again with my car, rather than a hired bus! At that moment in office, all I wanted to do was to drive to Munnar. And it couldn't wait..

.......... Fast Forward to January 2013

January 25th 2013

T-36.

Unfortunately it had to wait.. It was around 8 months since my initial resolution of driving up to Munnar. Lots happened in these 8 months which kept my Munnar Trip idea on the back burner. Firstly there was the infamous kerala monsoons, which broke loose as and when it felt like without any consideration. Then there was a Nelliyampathy trip in November. Again from Office. December was a very happening month for me. Columbus arrived in our family. And he went on his first mega road trip to Bombay and back.

Come 25th Jan, I was just having a casual chat with two of my colleagues/friends - RR & DB. Now DB was in our Kochi office and we hadn't met up in a while. Somehow the topic of discussion got diverted and out of nowhere, we were suddenly discussing the feasibility of a trip! Surprisingly, before even I made a suggestion, RR said that he wanted to do a Munnar Trip! Voila! Before DB even got a chance to realize what just happened, he was given the news that we are going to Munnar!

February 15th 2013

T-15.

Columbus_500: "So how's it gonna be?"
MM: "It's your lucky day! Wifey has given the nod for the trip!"

Woo Hoo!! We just got the confirmation from the 7th guy! Not only that, this meant we would have two SUVs as well for this trip. My XUV 500(Columbus) and MM's Safari! Plan was set! We would leave from Trivandrum on 1st night. Stay overnight in Kochi and set off early morning on 2nd Mar to Munnar. For the return trip, we would once again drive via Kochi and reach back in Trivandrum by late night on 3rd March.

Now you see, planning is all great & wonderful! But when things are all in place 2 weeks ahead of the start date, you know its the calm before the storm! In all my happiness, I had no clue that the itinerary was going to go on a rollercoaster ride for the next 2 weeks!

February 22nd 2013

T-8.

One week remaining. In classic project management style, I had set up a group chat as a medium to communicate the plan and costs per person to each individual on the trip. Count was 7 and it was important everyone was aware of the costs per person and more importantly the itinerary. And all were happy and excited with everything they heard. Still Perfect! Looks like the roller coaster ride is gonna be the last week!

February 26th 2013

T-4.

Columbus_500: Hey dude.. Its done. Plan's off!
MM: What?! Why?!
Columbus_500: Its just 3 of us. 4 of them dropped!

Well it was bound to happen! Over Monday & Tuesday, 4 guys dropped out of the plan for various reasons. I was really devastated as I had put in a lot of time into the planning for this trip. Accommodations were booked, cars had been serviced, everything was set up perfectly for this trip! There seemed to be no choice but to cancel the trip. MM was a true ray of sunlight through the clouds at this point! He was more than enthusiastic for just the 3 of us to go ahead. After all, we don't need a big group to make a road trip fun! He was absolutely right! RR was the other guy who was still in at that moment. I called him up and asked for his opinion. He too was happy to go ahead! I was beyond ecstatic! It seemed like the rollercoaster had finally decided to come to a stop. Little did I know!

February 27th 2013

T-3.

Now that we had a final three for the trip, it was time to make changes to the route. Since we no longer had friends joining us from Kochi, it was decided that we would leave only on 2nd March early morning and drive directly to Munnar via Kottyam, Muvatupuzha & Kothamangalam.

However whenever we tried to search for directions on Google Maps, it kept giving us a completely different route, that seemed to go via the ghats extensively. The route was more along Ranni, Mundakayam, Kattapana, Nedumkandam, Poopara & Suryanelli. Basically a route along the Kerala-Tamil Nadu State Border. Suddenly MM voices out. He raised the option of actually taking this route. The advantage was very clear. This route would be far more scenic than MC road. However, the condition of road was in doubts. None of us had ever been on those roads. But in a true spirit of adventure, we decided to go ahead with this route! We decided to add in Ramakalmedu as well, since it was on the way. Plan was to take as many scenic pictures on the way as well to make the guys who dropped out drool!

February 28th 2013

T-2.

Columbus_500: Dude.. Since we are going via Idukki district, we should go visit the Idukki Dams as well!
MM: Yeah that's a good idea. But you realize that we need permits to head over there right?
Columbus_500: What?! Hmmm.. How do we get the permits?
MM: Muahahahaha.. Forget about it.

Well now I was quite keen on getting that permit! I make a couple of calls. First to the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC), Idukki Office. Well these guys direct me to the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB), Idukki Office. The lady at the KSEB office say that its the R&D Division at her office which provides the permit. Argh! I can now understand why MM had such "high" hopes about getting this permit. With major doubts in my mind, I call up the R&D Division of the KSEB Idukki Office. Once again, I hear the usual dialogue. Now the redirection was straight to the Chief Engineer's Office here in Trivandrum. Heck, I have already called a number of folks. Why not the Chief Engineer (CE) as well! With these thoughts, I call up the CE's Office. Some one picks up and I explain the situation to him. His answer is pretty short & curt. Maintenance work is going on. No permits now. I try to plead with him and he asks me to call back at 3pm when the CE is back in office.

3pm comes around. I call up the CE's office once again to see if there was any chance for the permit. The same guy picks up. This time he gave us the CE's direct number. I call up the CE directly. Well, he definitely was a nicer person than the initial guy. He listens carefully and asks for the number of people & vehicle planning on visiting. At the end of it, he just asks me to come down to the office with a request letter and the permit is mine! YIPEE!!! I straight away went to MM and taunted him about achieving the impossible!

MM was definitely surprised but happy as well. Now we have a new point on our maps. MM & I head down the KSEB Office in Pattom to collect our permits. CE was in some meeting when we got there, so we had to wait around for a while. Within 2 hours though, we had a freshly printed paper in our hands. It was our permit to visit the famed Cheruthony & Idukki Arch Dam!

March 1st 2013

T-1.

Number of People: Still 3
Car: XUV 500
Permits: Check
Route: New Addition!

Our trip route was still undergoing discussions just a couple of hours before leaving. Google maps showed up Vagamon as a potential destination along the way. Since it was very much on the way, we soon added that as well. So final route was looking like this,

Trivandrum
Adoor
Pathanamthitta
Erumeli
Mundakayam
Kuttikanam
Elapara
Vagamon
Cheruthony Dam
Idukki Arch Dam
Kattapana
Ramakalmedu
Nedumkandam
Poopara
Suryanelli
Anaerangal Camp.

So as you see, we weren't exactly staying in Munnar. Our camp, Lemon Grass Anaerangal Camp was located 3 kms from Suryanelli actually. Suryanelli itself is about 25kms from Munnar town. To be frank, Suryanelli is a lot more beautiful than even Munnar. But I will let the pictures in the next post speak for themselves!

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th March 2013 at 08:01. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please.
Columbus_500 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 08:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!

Tell us more about the permits and what it entitles you to do - see the Arch Dam, go boating, etc?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 12:25   #4
BHPian

Default Re: 3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!

After the nice teaser pics in the first post you cannot leave us like that.
Do submit your posts quickly and with lots of pics.
Eagerly waiting.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 23:04   #5
BHPian

Wow! So after that extensive post on the trip planning, I have finally reached the bit about the actual trip! T-0 it was! Columbus was sprinting down the Trivandrum Bypass to Technopark, where I was to pick up RR. MM would be joining us from Adoor, as he had some family function in Kayamkulam the evening before. I will admit, when he told me about his family plans, it did give me a slight heart attack. I was afraid if we were gonna lose one more guy! But thankfully, that was not the case!

By 3.15am, RR & I roll out from his place. We take a quick stop at Kahazkootam Junction to have a tea. MC Road is an absolute pleasure to drive on regardless of the time of the day. At night, its even better thanks to the absolutely minimal traffic. 82 kms upto Adoor was covered in barely an hour. MM joins in as well from Adoor. The trip was on!!

Pathanamthitta came by soon enough and from here there are two routes to Erumeli. One via Vechoochira and the other one via Ranni town. The default route shown in Google Maps is via Ranni. However, it seemed like a longer and roundabout route. So we decided to go via the Vechoochira route. In hindsight, I would strongly suggest anyone to take the Ranni route. Narrow was an overstatement for the roads in this sector. Definitely slowed us down a significant bit, especially since it was still dark and the sun hadn't risen yet. Finally we reach Erumeli around 6.15am. Erumeli Mundakayam road is through lush jungle and rubber estates. The road quality is really good and with all the windings, its a true driving pleasure. Unfortunately, the light availability was low during this sector, hence there are no pictures.

Mundakayam is often considered as the gateway to the high ranges of Kerala. From here the route links up with the Kotayam-Kumily (KK) Road. For anyone unfamiliar with the KK road, this is one of the most beautiful roads you can ever ask for. I will let the pictures do the talking from here on.

First view of the hills peeking through the clouds

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0016.jpg

Quick stop just before Pullupara Checkpost to enjoy the view

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0007.jpg

Hills bathed in the Morning Sunshine

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0025.jpg

Beautiful Roads

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0029.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0030.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0038.jpg

These roads wind through the hills for a bit and suddenly we are right in the midst of tea estates. Mind you, we haven't reached Munnar yet. Its just between Mundakayam & Kuttikanam. Scenery is absolutely stunning. Add to that the cold morning breeze. It was just sheer bliss!

Columbus basking in the Morning Rays of Sunshine amidst beautiful Tea Estates

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0045.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0066.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0082.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0085.jpg

Kuttikanam is about 20kms away from Mundakayam. On an average it would have taken around 35 mins to cover this distance. But our progress was a lot slower. MM was going nuts taking photos. And I was absolutely enjoying driving through these tea estates slowly and taking in as much as possible. By around 7.30am, we reach Kuttikanam.

Now most people would have heard of Vagamon, but not Kuttikanam. Kuttikanam is a small town about 25 kms before Vagamon. There aren't too many facilities here, but small resorts are popping up to take advantage of the tourists driving via these roads. To be very frank, Kuttikanam was a lot more scenic than Vagamon. But I will get to later. Let the pics do themselves some justification now.

Roads winding through the Tea Estates

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0100.jpg

Posing with the backdrop

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0106.jpg

More Tea Estates

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0109.jpg

Its Columbus' turn to Pose!

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0119.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-20130302_075148.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0126.jpg

More Scenery

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-20130302_075209.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0139.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-20130302_075214.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0141.jpg

Last edited by Columbus_500 : 11th March 2013 at 23:51.
Columbus_500 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 23:45   #6
BHPian

After having soaked in the beautiful scenes of Kuttikanam, we began our onward journey towards Vagamon. Now Vagamon has always painted an image in my mind of the rolling meadows and grazing cattle. But Murphy's law would of course have its own way here. Well, to say the least, Vagamon couldn't have been any further from my mental image! It was really a bad time to have visited Vagamon. The meadows were completely dry and the hills were absolutely bald. And the grazing cattle?! Yeah sure! They just remained in the wonderful painting that I had painted in my mind!!

Vagamon could have lived up to my expectations, had I visited a couple of months earlier. Unfortunately March just wasn't the perfect time. Not to worry, there's always another trip! As much as next trip could wait, there was something else that couldn't wait any further. BREAKFAST!! Its been quite a while since we had that tea at Kazhakootam and our last proper meals were close to 12 hours ago! We stop at the next available restaurant in Vagamon town and soon we were gobbling down hot porottas and kadala curry (Chickpeas)!

With a satisfied tummy, we resume our travel around 09.00am. Next stop was going to be the Idukki Dams. But that was about 60kms away. I hand over the wheel to MM and off I move to the back seat for a quick snoozzzzzeee.
Columbus_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 09:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Where did you turn off MC Road for Pathanamthitta?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 12:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Tell us more about the permits and what it entitles you to do - see the Arch Dam, go boating, etc?
Hey HVKumar! Its an honor to have you comment on my travelogue. After reading about your countless adventures, I am ecstatic to provide whatever minimal knowledge I have about this route.

So for the Idukki Dam, the permits are for Cheruthony & Idukki Arch Dam. Entrance is from the Cheruthony side as only exit is allowed from the Arch side. Basically the permit allows you to enter the Dam Complex. Security is pretty tight here and they make sure that no cameras or cell phones enter the complex. Photography is strictly prohibited. There are no boating or entertainment facilities available here. There's a small park sort of set up here though. We didn't really visit that. Basically after you enter the Cheruthony Dam, the permit allows you to walk about 3.5kms all the way to the Idukki Arch Dam.

Another use of the permit is that you can visit the bottom of the arch dam. This is from a separate entry point and if you tell the security that you are planning on visiting this as well, they will hand the permit back to you. Also within the entire complex, there are about 3 security check posts at each of which they check whether you have any sort of photography devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Where did you turn off MC Road for Pathanamthitta?
From MC road, we diverted off from Adoor. Basically at the Adoor Bypass Junction, instead of taking the left for the bypass, we continued straight down into Adoor town. Once you reach the town, there's a huge triangle in the middle of the road. Basically a junction. From here, you take a right and then the first left for the Pathanamthitta road.

I hope, I have been able to answer your questions. If there is any other detail, that you might be interested in, please do feel free to comment and I would be more than happy to provide them. Also I will try to put in the pics of the remaining trip tonight. Cheers!
Columbus_500 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 00:32   #10
BHPian

Firstly apologies for that long snoooozzee.. BSNL Broadband as always decided to be a very reliable service provider and made sure I was without internet for the last many days!

But anyways, lets get back to the trip!

My stint at the back seat didn't last too long. Within barely an hour of shut eye, I wake up to the sound of screeching tyres and two consecutive thud sounds! Half asleep, I open my eyes and find no one in the car. RR & MM were out. Little did I realize that they had stopped the car for a photo break! It was the very first view of the Idukki Lake!

The Picture Perfect Scenery

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0269.jpg

RR mesmerized by the surroundings

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0267.jpg

A Panorama of the Idukki Lake

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-20130302_104528.jpg

Columbus taking a well deserved break

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-20130302_104742.jpg

It was indeed a beautiful scenery. So beautiful that it completely refreshed me and I took over the wheels from MM. We roll on and soon enough we reach the very first of the three Idukki Dams, Kulamavu Dam. We don't stop here and just take a quick snap through the window itself.

Entering the Kulamavu Dam Bridge

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0232.jpg

Part of Idukki Lake formed by Kulamavu Dam

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0234.jpg

Kulamavu Dam is quite distant from the other two dams, Cheruthony & Idukki Arch Dam. In fact its 41 kms from here. Kulamavu Dam is close to Moolamattom. Moolamattom is where the hydroelectric power station is located for the Idukki Dams. It is infact the biggest underground hydroelectric power station in all of India and one of the primary source of power for the Kerala State.

After about an hour we reach the Idukki Arch Dam. Now from the maps, I knew that we were supposed to have reached Cheruthony Dam first and then the Idukki Arch Dam. Either we lost our way and took another route that we bypassed Cheruthony Dam and reached here or else we completely missed the Cheruthony Dam on our way. It was the latter!

This was further confirmed when we reached the locked gates of Idukki Arch Dam and not a single soul was around. This was actually the exit gate for the dams and as such there was no check post at this gate. But luckily this provides us a good chance to snap a couple of photos of the Idukki Arch Dam from outside.

Idukki Arch Dam

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0273.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0291.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-20130302_112116.jpg

Before I move on, a short background about the Idukki Arch Dam.
Quote:
Source: Wikipedia
The Idukki Dam, located in Kerala, India, is a 168.91 m (554 ft) tall arch dam. The dam stands between the two mountains - Kuravanmala (839)m and Kurathimala (925)m. It was constructed and is owned by the Kerala State Electricity Board. It supports a 780 MW hydroelectric power station.

It is built on the Periyar River, in the ravine between the Kuravan and Kurathi Hills in Kerala, India. At 167.68 metres, it is one of the highest arch dams in Asia and third tallest arch dam. It started generating power on 4 October 1975. Technically, the dam type is a concrete double, curvature parabolic, thin arc dam.

This dam was constructed along with two other dams at Cheruthoni and Kulamavu. Together, the three dams have created an artificial lake that is 60 km˛ in area. The stored water is used to produce electricity at the Moolamattom Power house, which is located inside nearby rocky caves. The Government of Canada aided in the building of the dam with long term loans and grants.
After our failed attempts to enter the Idukki Dam from the back gate, we go back down to the main road and ask for directions to the entrance. Well, we indeed had to go back to Cheruthony Town and on to Cheruthony Dam first! We weren't too sure of the directions and we definitely had to ask our way around till we got to the entrance. It was a good 8 kms from the back gate. We roll up to the main gates. Here they have security checkpost behind the gates and we get ready with our cameras, ready to snap the majestic views from the dam!

These security check posts are actually manned by Kerala Police and not some security official of the KSEB. Before we get a chance to pass the permit to him, he asks us to go back to the car and put all photography devices away. He even denied us from taking in our cell phones!!

MM was completely devastated as he was very much looking forward to capturing some snaps here. But alas, it was not to be. After passing the permits to the security official, he lets us in. Right next to the gate is the Cheruthony Dam. And from here its a 3.5 km walk to reach the Idukki Arch Dam and the back gate!! It was slightly past 12 noon and it definitely did not seem like a good idea to walk 7kms back & forth under that hot sun. But we start walking anyways. The view was spectacular. And we could get a glimpse of the Idukki Arch Dam from here itself. By the time we covered the span of the Cheruthony Dam, we couldn't take the heat anymore and decided to turn back.

The Security official was kind enough to point out that we could still view the Idukki Arch Dam if we head to the bottom of the dam. And we could drive up till there from the main road. Definitely a much better idea than walking 7kms in hot sun. So the permit was handed back to us and we exit the complex. Outside the complex, we take out the cameras and snap a couple of pics of the Cheruthony Dam.

Cheruthony Dam

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0305.jpg

RR & Myself outside the Cheruthony Dam

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0311.jpg

MM decides he's too cool for a group shot!

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0319.jpg

Now RR too wants a Solo Pic!

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0323.jpg

By around 12.45, we left the Idukki Dams and proceeded onward to the main road. Now if you remember, we had decided to visit the bottom of the Arch Dam before we continue our journey. But we were running out of time and we wanted to get to the Anaerangal Camp by around 3. So we decided to skip it and move ahead. By the way, we also Ramakalmedu on our planned places of visit for this trip. Ramakalmedu is a about 55kms from Cheruthony Dam and to get to it, we had to pass Kattapana and go further for another 20 kms. It was decided that there was no point in rushing through and not enjoying each location to the max. As such, we dropped Ramakelmedu and decided to proceed on to Munnar directly. Our camp was still another 95 kms from here.

From Cheruthony, the route is fairly straightforward. Kattapana town first and then Pulliyanmala. From Pulliyanmala, we took a left for Nedumkandam. There are ample signboards all along this route pointing out directions to Munnar. On our way, we come across a church and from first glance, it seemed like some divine intervention was happening and the church was basked in glory.

Divine Intervention??

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0330.jpg

It was actually just the reflection of the center console in XUV on the windscreen!

By around 2.30pm we reach Poopara. Roads up till here was very good and it was pretty easy to cover the 70 odd kms in one & half hours. But from Poopara onwards, the roads are completely battered up. It goes right through the tea estates and at lots of places, its completely disappeared. Had to drive carefully to make sure I don't scrape the bottom of my XUV. But then again, we just remembered that bad roads will most likely lead to the most scenic locations! And it was true. The scenery during the drive through the tea estate was absolutely beautiful. Let the pictures themselves do the talking.

First Views of the Anaerangal Lake

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0346.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0358.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0359.jpg

The Mountains amongst which we were to stay that night!

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0363.jpg

3 friends, 2 days, One Cheetah - Columbus makes a quick dash to Munnar!-dsc_0378.jpg

The views was completely rejuvenating and we rush to reach our camp as soon as possible. By around 3.15, we finally reach Suryanelli Town. It took us one hour 15 minutes to traverse that 20km stretch from Poopara! Our camp was a further 5 kms from Suryanelli town. Upon asking around the town for directions, we chance upon one of the cooks who work at the camp and we just follow him up to the camp! Now the camp was at 5000ft and they had roads leading all the way up till it. But the last stretch of climb is quite a steep one and had to gun the Columbus in 1st gear. Finally at 3.35 we reach Lemon Grass Anaerangal Camp!! A good 12 hours after we had set off from Trivandrum! A long but very enjoyable drive!

Last edited by Columbus_500 : 20th March 2013 at 00:49.
Columbus_500 is offline   Reply With Quote