Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st May 2013, 15:07   #31
BHPian

Hi Raj

Thanks. I have put my responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
Nice trip and photos Vikrant ! Cant wait to plan mine.

Would like to bother you with a couple of more questions.

1. International cards accepted? Or all cash transactions?

All major credit cards are accepted. Cash is welcome too.

2. No photos of Nairobi city ? Didnt have time to stroll around?

Unfortunately I was in Nairobi only to and from the airport so did not move around the city.

3. What are the options to buy memorablia from maara ? How are the prices for tourists ?

There are lots of places and options to buy memorabilia in the hotel as well as enroute maara but it is like shopping in India start with 1/4 price quoted and usually you will get things at that price. For example I was quoted 6000kenyan schillings for 1 mask. I ended up buying a mask, a smoking pipe (I am a non-smoker) and a bowl for 3000kenyan schillings.

How is the game ride usually done? Once an animal is spotted, he turns the engine off and gives you time to click ? Or is it rushed through ?

This is the beauty of going off season. We drove at a leisurely pace and since there were no more tourists around we spent at least 10-15 mins looking and photographing each animal. In high season there will 200-300 vehicles so how much time you get to see the animal depends on the patience people jeep after you have.
vikrantj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:10   #32
BHPian

Default Re: An African Safari into the Maasai Maara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Hi Raj

Thanks. I have put my responses below.
Good information Vikrant. Thanks again!
rajwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:11   #33
BHPian

Nice, crisp and informative travelogues there mate, with great clicks. Africa has been on my travel radar for sometime now and you've just strengthened the resolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
... Now, how many tourists places in India can boost of qualified drivers / guides like the onces in Kenya? Just go to any place (e.g. Taj Mahal) & you will lierally flocked by local tour guides just trying to make a quick money out of you.
Would beg to differ over this mate! I've never been disappointed with the authorized guides. Be it Agra, Rajasthan or MP. Only thing I take care of is that I pick a govt. authorized guide and don't haggle (okay, just a little) with them about their fee. I've found them to be quite informed, polite & cultured. Once, a guide went out of his way to help us out with an issue. Over the top bargaining & picking the guide who asks for the least fee is a recipe for not having a good experience and I've seen many people doing so. Just my humble opinion.
lordofgondor is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 20:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey vikrantj,

Heading out to SOUTH AFRICA tonight for my vacation

I am scheduled to go to Mabula game reserve lets hope i get to see some good wild life like you did
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 21:41   #35
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Vikrant,
Brilliant pics and a very good report! Thanks for the pros-and-cons of both seasons as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
...doing only SA for 10 days scheduled fr May 6th)
Karan, the South Africa equivalent of the "USA Muscle Car trip" on the cards, eh?

Would look forward to it!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 06:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hey vikrantj,

Heading out to SOUTH AFRICA tonight for my vacation

I am scheduled to go to Mabula game reserve lets hope i get to see some good wild life like you did
All the best. Am sure you will have a great time. Do post in a report and loads of pictures.
vikrantj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 12:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Nice, crisp and informative travelogues there mate, with great clicks. Africa has been on my travel radar for sometime now and you've just strengthened the resolve.

Would beg to differ over this mate! I've never been disappointed with the authorized guides. Be it Agra, Rajasthan or MP. Only thing I take care of is that I pick a govt. authorized guide and don't haggle (okay, just a little) with them about their fee. I've found them to be quite informed, polite & cultured. Once, a guide went out of his way to help us out with an issue. Over the top bargaining & picking the guide who asks for the least fee is a recipe for not having a good experience and I've seen many people doing so. Just my humble opinion.
I agree and I can personally vouch for the fact that even in India, to be a certified guide there are exams that they have to pass. Even for our jungle guides - there are regular trainings that happen during off seasons that the guides attend to be up to date.
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 12:49   #38
BHPian

Nice post and some good photographs there!!! ... Yes, I also came across areport somewhere about the exploitation of Maasai Maara wildlife sanctuary. They should probably adopt the Indian model of conservation. Here, we ensure that the local people especially adivasis are becoming the guides/drivers etc. This way the local people will also support the conservation tactics. Having examinations etc. for becoming a tour guide will be detrimental to the progress of the local population.
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 18:57   #39
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful Vikrant..

No doubt this is one of the beautiful places in the world. Off season is Ok but miss the great migration and the famous "kills"
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote