Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th April 2014, 03:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bolero 4WD takes us to Sandakphu. For the 3rd time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
While I have not tried and I know it can be very risky but I really have to fail to believe a Tavera will not be able to make it to Sandakphu. At no point was I tensed while climbing till Singalila NP but the coming down was literally slow and crawling, the engine guard plate kept scraping on rocks.
I don't think you are going to take the Tavera again Saw in one thread that you have got a Thar CRDe. So when are you going to Sandakphu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoy50 View Post
thanks for sharing your third trip and we know you shall be itching for the fourth one too. some wonderful pictures of the himalayan range, specially the mount everest one,impressed us very much.
Thanks Sanjoy Da, I am really looking forward to my next Sandakphu trip. Most probably it will be in my friend's Thar.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I don't think you are going to take the Tavera again Saw in one thread that you have got a Thar CRDe. So when are you going to Sandakphu?

Thanks Sanjoy Da, I am really looking forward to my next Sandakphu trip. Most probably it will be in my friend's Thar.
Ha ha ha, yes I do have a plan to get the Thar to Sandakphu somewhere around November, December, would be great if you would come along. No one in this forum is as experienced as you on the toughest route in India. By the way have you returned to India?
One of my friend tried his Yeti on the Sandakphu route but the hill assist behaved in the negative sense of it. Since the incline is so steep, the brakes never released for the car to inch ahead. There was some underbelly scraping and he mentioned even if hill assist was not there, the GC of the Yeti was not enough for this route. They ultimately left the car at Lamey Dhura and hired a LR.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 8th April 2014 at 16:52.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 14:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friend tried his Yeti on the Sandakphu route but the hill assist behaved in the negative sense of it. Since the incline is so steep, the brakes never released for the car to inch ahead. There was some underbelly scraping and he mentioned even if hill assist was not there, the GC of the Yeti was not enough for this route. They ultimately left the car at Lamey Dhura and hired a LR.
Sumitro, amazing triplogue and wonderful pictures, should have posted a few more.

Himadri, Yes, I also did tell Josh & Nilanjan to be a tad cautious with the Yeti which is otherwise a extremely capable vehicle, But I guess he got excited after your capture of Sandakhphu.
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 16:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha ha, yes I do have a plan to get the Thar to Sandakphu somewhere around November, December, would be great if you would come along. No one in this forum is as experienced as you on the toughest route in India. By the way have you returned to India?
Thanks for the nice words, I will try to go in November/December if I am in Kolkata and office permits. You will be the last person who needs any advise on this route after your adventures with Tavera and Duster. If you take the Thar please go till Phalut.

Quote:
That is a shame as I had great expectation from the Yeti. Is there no option to switch off the hill assist? The underbelly is a problem, the steering damper on my Bolero got hit while going to Phalut. The Thar will have an advantage here along with the advantage of a shorter wheelbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Sumitro, amazing triplogue and wonderful pictures, should have posted a few more.
Thanks me_sid, will try to post a few more pics, if I can find them
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 22:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too think it may be not possible as BlackPearl and 1100D has mentioned, I guess it should be better to leave it to the 4WD's.

For the sake of discussion, a 2WD may or may not go up but trying it is a risky
job not only to the driver driving it but to the other drivers using the same road.
Where as for a 4WD, its 100% sure everytime, well almost.
Didn't you take your Duster FWD on that route?
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 14:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Didn't you take your Duster FWD on that route?
Yes I did till the Singalila National park gate. Honestly Duster is a soft offroader, one should not subject it to such harsh conditions.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 15:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

will try to post a few more pics, if I can find them
Hi Blackpearl,

Thanks for the lovely photographs.
I went through this thread only today.
My question- "why one should visit Sandakphu ?" was based on probably your second visit, wherein I did not find the place to be scenic except that it was thrilling drive.

But this thread says all together a different story.

I may go there, while visiting my aunt at Silliguri. Let see when it happens.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote